[Q] Upgrade to MK6 modem?

Search This thread

tedmm

Dec 27, 2011
Vancouver
Ok, I'll start by saying that I'm trying to update my rogers 1337m to a custom ROM based on 4.4. The phone came with 4.2.2 on it and the 1337MVLUAMDJ modem. Since having bought it, I rooted it with motochopper, kicked the samsung firmware to the curb, and installed jamal's 4.2.2 google edition rom.

Anyhoo, now I want to install jamal's 4.4 rom. I installed it, but the phone doesn't work. I can't make calls, mobile data isn't working, and I get no bars in the signal indicator. I restored my nandroid backup to 4.2.2 and all is well again - calls, mobile data, and signal reception.

Do I need to upgrade my modem firmware? I have the MDJ firmware, and I noticed that there's an MK6 firmware that seems to be newer. Jamal's rom actually comes with a modem, I9505XXUFNA1, but when I tried installing that with Odin, it said 'security check failed'. I'm guessing that I can only install Canadian modems?

What would be the pros/cons of flashing MK6? Does this unroot my phone? Does this lock my boot loader? I seem to recall that AT&T pushed out an update that locked their users' phones in some way. Is that what I would be in for?

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Ok, I'll start by saying that I'm trying to update my rogers 1337m to a custom ROM based on 4.4. The phone came with 4.2.2 on it and the 1337MVLUAMDJ modem. Since having bought it, I rooted it with motochopper, kicked the samsung firmware to the curb, and installed jamal's 4.2.2 google edition rom.

Anyhoo, now I want to install jamal's 4.4 rom. I installed it, but the phone doesn't work. I can't make calls, mobile data isn't working, and I get no bars in the signal indicator. I restored my nandroid backup to 4.2.2 and all is well again - calls, mobile data, and signal reception.

Do I need to upgrade my modem firmware? I have the MDJ firmware, and I noticed that there's an MK6 firmware that seems to be newer. Jamal's rom actually comes with a modem, I9505XXUFNA1, but when I tried installing that with Odin, it said 'security check failed'. I'm guessing that I can only install Canadian modems?

What would be the pros/cons of flashing MK6? Does this unroot my phone? Does this lock my boot loader? I seem to recall that AT&T pushed out an update that locked their users' phones in some way. Is that what I would be in for?

The i337m will never have a locked bootloader. AT&T was never unlocked, we only had an exploit. Updating yours will get you Knox however, i believe. There is a thread of the modems so you can flash just the modem by itself.

tedmm

Dec 27, 2011
Vancouver
The i337m will never have a locked bootloader. AT&T was never unlocked, we only had an exploit. Updating yours will get you Knox however, i believe. There is a thread of the modems so you can flash just the modem by itself.

I've seen knox before in my process list - when I had the samsung firmware installed, I thought knox was just an obnoxious ( obknoxious? ) policy agent for enforcing exchange rules or something. I've seen neither hide nor hair of it since I installed the google edition ROM, which of course doesn't come with knox. So you're saying the the new modem might have some knox component in it and this might cause problems?

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I've seen knox before in my process list - when I had the samsung firmware installed, I thought knox was just an obnoxious ( obknoxious? ) policy agent for enforcing exchange rules or something. I've seen neither hide nor hair of it since I installed the google edition ROM, which of course doesn't come with knox. So you're saying the the new modem might have some knox component in it and this might cause problems?

Well if you already had a version with knox it doesn't make a difference. It's just that the newer official firmwares have the knox enabled bootloader and it adds an extra flag beyond the normal system status that would void your warranty on flashes but if you already have it then it doesn't matter. It wouldn't cause any problems, just adds that little flag and I'm not sure if recoveries are made to not trip that flag or what.

TLK3

Jan 10, 2013

As far as I know, Knox is not part of any modem firmware. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Faultyy

Jan 30, 2012

were you able to figure this out?

tedmm

Dec 27, 2011
Vancouver

Yes.

First, I don't think that it was strictly necessary to upgrade the modem to get 4.4 - I think it might have just been a problem with jamal's ROM and the kernel he used. Anyways, I decided that I wanted the new modem anyways because I reasoned that it would probably have bug fixes and performance and reception improvements. I was pretty sure that flashing the official 4.3 Rogers image (there is no 4.4 Rogers image) with Odin would give me the new modem. Then I could flash whatever aftermarket ROM I wanted.

Strangely, this didn't work. At least not the way using Odin is recommended. Odin has two text fields pointing to tar.md5 Roms - onw of them is marked 'phone' and the other is marked 'PDA'. As I recall, I had to point BOTH of these at the official Rogers 4.3 ROM get get both the Samsung/Rogers android along with the Qualcomm mk6 modem. I don't think I've ever found a how to where they recommend using both at the same time.

After that, I flashed a Google edition ROM and all is well. And the new modem does seem to get somewhat better reception.

Reactions: Faultyy

RAND0M1ZER

May 17, 2010
Toronto
So there is no way to update just the modem from a custom ROM (without wiping everything and installing a stock ROM) for Canadian S4s?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes.

First, I don't think that it was strictly necessary to upgrade the modem to get 4.4 - I think it might have just been a problem with jamal's ROM and the kernel he used. Anyways, I decided that I wanted the new modem anyways because I reasoned that it would probably have bug fixes and performance and reception improvements. I was pretty sure that flashing the official 4.3 Rogers image (there is no 4.4 Rogers image) with Odin would give me the new modem. Then I could flash whatever aftermarket ROM I wanted.

Strangely, this didn't work. At least not the way using Odin is recommended. Odin has two text fields pointing to tar.md5 Roms - onw of them is marked 'phone' and the other is marked 'PDA'. As I recall, I had to point BOTH of these at the official Rogers 4.3 ROM get get both the Samsung/Rogers android along with the Qualcomm mk6 modem. I don't think I've ever found a how to where they recommend using both at the same time.

After that, I flashed a Google edition ROM and all is well. And the new modem does seem to get somewhat better reception.