What APK's are secure to remove.

Search This thread

xmoo

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2006
Eindhoven
www.Mohammad.Moghtader.net
Let's make a list of which apk's we can remove without the phone giving forcing close issues....

Code:
AnalogueAlarmWidget.apk
AnalogueClockWidget.apk
AppAdvisor_v1.5.78_production_signed_aligned.apk
CarHome.apk
com_lge_christmassnowcity.apk
com_lge_lgfirework2.apk
cyon.apk
DigitalAlarmWidget.apk
DigitalClockWidget.apk
EmailWidget.apk
F-Secure_Mobile_Security_Android22.apk
LGEmail.apk
LGLauncher.apk
MessageWidget.apk
PreloadedApp.apk
SNS.apk
Stk.apk
WorldClockWidget.apk

Last edited:
Reactions: borekon

gensplejs

Sep 14, 2008
Århus
What is cyon.apk?

And why is it "safe" to fremover the og launcher? At least you should put your launcher of choice in system/app first....

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA Premium App

mirsalimov

Jul 25, 2006
The Hague
What if you just remove the above apps without backup of them.

Do you brick the phone if hard reset is done ?

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

Nothing will happen, you just will miss apps.

When you hard reset your phone it wiil just delete user data and cache partition.

Any changes to system folder means you make changes to rom and cannot be undone without reflashing or restore backup.

Be careful with deleting of apps! If something goes wrong and the phone is not booting we don't have any global rom and flashing tool for now.

Last edited:

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Some Insight

Let's work top down guys, no panic, no alarm.

There are "system apps" and there are "system apps"
Most people refer to any app that's installed on the system partition as a "system app" but the real definition of a "system app" is one that is signed with a root or platform key. This key allows the app to interact with the OS at the lowest level, manipulating resources and other apps.​

It's safe to remove either
You can remove either types of these apps but some may be dependencies for other apps and removing these can cause Force Closes.

A Factory Reset does not touch the system partition
As stated above, any modifications you make to the system partition (/system/*) will withstand a Factory Reset. This is why root still works after a Factory Reset.

Safe-to-remove apps
I personally provided the list above and can confirm that these apps are safe to remove but you need to be aware:
  • Some apps are required (like a Launcher), if you remove it, make sure you have an alternative installed.
  • Some apps are not available on the Market, you may not be able to substitute them.
  • Make a backup before you delete any apps!
Note: For critical apps, like a Launcher you *must* have one on your system partition! Do *not* remove your only Launcher from the system partition!

Additional Apps
A lot more can be safely removed from the system partition but they do not consume real-time resources and therefore there is no substantial benefit in removing them. I will post a full schedule of these apps later if somebody doesn't beat me to it.​

Enjoy.

jwedda

Jul 12, 2010

Enjoy.

Errug bedankt ! Nice overview.

Since space isn't an issue just freezing them with Titanium Backup should free up the memory as well right?

I'll be waiting for a conclusive list of "freezable" apps. ( And patiently await a custom booloader so we can get some really good custom roms.)

Gambit2K

Mar 20, 2011
Stockholm
I wish I've red this thread before tinkering around witgh my phone. Seem to have kinda bricked it after owning it for 3 days.

I was playing around with it trying to get rid of the facebook, twitter & myspace for LG apps but I couldn't figure out what they were called in the Titanium Backup Pro list så i backed up LG Home (or was it just called LG) and naively thought the worst thing that could happen was that I would have to do a hard factory reset if anyting went wrong.

But as the android n00b that I am (first android phone) I should have known that LG Home is the launcher! So know I have a phone I can check emails on but if I go past the startup guide it crasches and im stuck at the startup LG logo until I do another hard factoryreset.

Anyone know if the default image/ROM is soon to be released or should I take a shot and send my phone in for repair hoping that they never pick up on what I did?

Sorry of this is offtopic.

nrkabul

Jul 26, 2009
There are a couple of threads with similar problems, so search a bit and you should find a way to fix it :)

Sent from my Hero using XDA App

jwedda

Jul 12, 2010
Have someone send you the lg home apk via email and install, or perhaps another launcher if you want. You'll get the "Install ?" question when you open the mail.. do so and you have a launcher again.

span_01

Jul 24, 2010
I wish I've red this thread before tinkering around witgh my phone. Seem to have kinda bricked it after owning it for 3 days.

I was playing around with it trying to get rid of the facebook, twitter & myspace for LG apps but I couldn't figure out what they were called in the Titanium Backup Pro list så i backed up LG Home (or was it just called LG) and naively thought the worst thing that could happen was that I would have to do a hard factory reset if anyting went wrong.

But as the android n00b that I am (first android phone) I should have known that LG Home is the launcher! So know I have a phone I can check emails on but if I go past the startup guide it crasches and im stuck at the startup LG logo until I do another hard factoryreset.

Anyone know if the default image/ROM is soon to be released or should I take a shot and send my phone in for repair hoping that they never pick up on what I did?

Sorry of this is offtopic.

Check this thread out:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=992945

Escobarretje

May 7, 2009
When I check out my Active Services I can see the following programs: Whatsapp services (2), Twitter (1), Sim-toolkit (1), Google Services Framework (2), Media (without anything beneath it), Music (2), com.lge.omadmclient (1), Bluetooth Share (2) weird cause bluetooth is OFF! , Wheather & clock update (1), On-Screen phone (1), DRM Service (1), Maps (1), LG PC Suite ObexManager (1), and the Gingerbread Keyboard (1).

Big list in comparison to my G1 and I guess there can be SOME things deleted. Altough I don't know which ones. A guess:

1. Media (what does this do?)
2. Music (I disabled the music bar, and don't want that service running all the time!)
3. com.lge.omadmclient (what's this?)
4. Bluetooth Share... weird thing because I have my bluetooth OFF all the time... how to get rid of these?
5. Wheather & clock updater. I don't use that widget so...?
6. On-Screen phone, what does it do?
7. DRM Service
8. LG PC Suite ObexManager?

Can somebody please tell me if I can get rid of (some) of these services, and if so, which programs to freeze :) Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some Insight

There are "system apps" and there are "system apps"
    Most people refer to any app that's installed on the system partition as a "system app" but the real definition of a "system app" is one that is signed with a root or platform key. This key allows the app to interact with the OS at the lowest level, manipulating resources and other apps.​

It's safe to remove either
    You can remove either types of these apps but some may be dependencies for other apps and removing these can cause Force Closes.

A Factory Reset does not touch the system partition
    As stated above, any modifications you make to the system partition (/system/*) will withstand a Factory Reset. This is why root still works after a Factory Reset.

Safe-to-remove apps
    I personally provided the list above and can confirm that these apps are safe to remove but you need to be aware:
    • Some apps are required (like a Launcher), if you remove it, make sure you have an alternative installed.
    • Some apps are not available on the Market, you may not be able to substitute them.
    • Make a backup before you delete any apps!
    Note: For critical apps, like a Launcher you *must* have one on your system partition! Do *not* remove your only Launcher from the system partition!

Additional Apps
    A lot more can be safely removed from the system partition but they do not consume real-time resources and therefore there is no substantial benefit in removing them. I will post a full schedule of these apps later if somebody doesn't beat me to it.​

Enjoy.
    Complete list of 2x apks and whether you can remove them or not. It's in German but you can easily guess what is said. :)

http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-ha...che-system-apps-duerfen-geloescht-werden.html
    Let's make a list of which apk's we can remove without the phone giving forcing close issues....

Code:
    AnalogueAlarmWidget.apk
    AnalogueClockWidget.apk
    AppAdvisor_v1.5.78_production_signed_aligned.apk
    CarHome.apk
    com_lge_christmassnowcity.apk
    com_lge_lgfirework2.apk
    cyon.apk
    DigitalAlarmWidget.apk
    DigitalClockWidget.apk
    EmailWidget.apk
    F-Secure_Mobile_Security_Android22.apk
    LGEmail.apk
    LGLauncher.apk
    MessageWidget.apk
    PreloadedApp.apk
    SNS.apk
    Stk.apk
    WorldClockWidget.apk

I believe if your HR it the apps will be back.
    Cause there located in the ROM.

Just freez them with Titanium backup if you want the free mem.... space wise deleting them is not really nessecary.... or pull them out with adb first.