[ROM][JAN 10] G2 Slim v1.6 -- OTA 2.16.531.5 NO BLOAT!!

Search This thread

s14mc

Oct 26, 2010
sac
The purpose of this ROM was to make the fastest, smoothest and best battery life ROM out there. With the newest TMO radio, which was packed with this ROM, i get 2 full days battery life. (im in california, individual results may vary on location.)

I am also minimalist and hate anything unnecessary on my cell. I needed a way to "clean" install the newest OTA and pick and choose the apps that i really need. soooo.....

I stripped pretty much everything out of it for speed and efficiency. I get 250+ mb free ram on boot.

Features

This ROM is based off the newest 2.16 OTA update, rooted, and with all bloat removed. It is completely stock, except for the addition of launcher pro

All unnecessary apps removed, get what you want from the market
All stock ringtones removed
All notification sounds removed
All stock wallpapers and live wallpapers removed
All but smallest alarm sound removed
All TTS removed except for US english (can be easily installed in settings, voice input/output, install voice data)
Launcher2 replaced with launcher pro
Official ROM size 117mb, G2 Slim 72mb

To add your own ringtones//notifications create thier appropriate folders on the root of your SD card:

media/audio/notifications
media/audio/ringtones

compatible audio files will show up in your settings

Changelog

-mms slideshow fix (thx tun4f1sh)
-sdcard speedfix set to 4096
-added livewallpaper picker
-added ICS font

-rebuilt entire ROM: I dont like breaking and fixing stuff, get it right the first time!
-removed swypecore lib, last piece of swype, the core
-removed htc_ebdlogd, an HTC logging file
-updated market 3.4.4
-sdcard readfix added and set to 2048
-updated su binary
-slimmed down more
-faster

-cache changed to double original size
-changed bootanimation (retro G1)
-fixed multilanguage which broke in 1.3
-added battery percentage mod
-faster
-updated music app 4.1.511
-added trackpad wake (thx tun4f1sh)

-wifi scan set to 300
-cache changed to 50mb
-new bootanimation (thx jbs92)
-faster
-slimmed down again
-even better battery life
-added quick search which was removed in 1.0 to fix the search button hotkey (thx ra990)

-deodexed
-zipaligned
-removed tell HTC//provide feedback
-removed silent HTC report agent, service and process (what were they reporting?)
-faster
-slimmed down more
-better battery life
-added google talk which was removed in 1.0

V1.1
-updated market 3.3.11
-updated superuser 3.0.7
-updated music app 4.0.9.509
-removed old music app
-stop the ability to recieve future OTA (thanks WTF?)

v1.0
-Launch!

Screenshots

g2slim.png
288468o.png

Radio

The recommended radio for this ROM is the newest Vision_Radio_12.62.60.27_26.13.04.19
which was also packed with this ROM and when used together offer the best battery life.

Link to the radio thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=970809

Installation

It is recommended that you flash SuperWipeG2+ before flashing any ROM. This will erase all of your phone's data. The files on your SD Card will not be erased.
1.Download SuperWipeG2+ext4 (Recommended) and the G2 Slim ROM below, and place both of the .zip files on the root of your SD Card.
2.Assuming Clockwork Recovery is already installed, hold the Volume Down button and press the Power button to boot up your phone. Keep the Volume Down button held down until you are greeted with a white screen with skateboarding Androids on the bottom.
3.Press Volume Down once to highlight "RECOVERY" and press Power.
4.Once in recovery, use the trackball to hover over "install zip from sdcard". Click with the trackball to select this option.
5.Select "choose zip from sdcard".
6.Select "-=SuperWipeG2+ext4=-.zip" and "Yes - Insall -=SuperWipeG2+ext4=-.zip". Let the installation run; once finished, it will automatically reboot into recovery.
7.Scroll down to "advanced" and click.
8.Select "Wipe Dalvik Cache" and "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache"
9.Once completed, press the back button to return to the recovery's main menu
10.Select "install zip from sd card", "choose zip from sd card", "G2slim1.x.zip", and "Yes - Install G2slim1.x.zip"
11.Once completed, press back again to return to the main menu
12.Select "reboot system now"

Downloads
The download links are located on my website. Feel free to donate for my time!

G2 Slim V1.6

superwipe g2+ext4

Video walkthrough
Thank you dk2000zx !!!!

Last edited:

mlynch01

Nov 29, 2003
New York, NY
Thanks for this ROM dude, it is perfect for my needs. Lite, smooth and great on battery when paired with the latest radio. Much appreciated!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

Reactions: s14mc

JackMagic

Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for posting.

Only thing to mention is that to cut it back a bit more you could de-odex it?

s14mc

Oct 26, 2010
sac
Thanks for posting.

Only thing to mention is that to cut it back a bit more you could de-odex it?

I was thinkin about deodexing, I read online about the pros and cons of odex and deodex.

I came up with odexed is a lil faster, but cannot be themed. I need to read more, wut do u guys think??

JackMagic

Nov 4, 2009
I was under the impression 90% of roms are de-odexed/zipaligned, odexing for space and zipaligned for performance (but I think benefit of zipaligning is negligible?)

JackMagic

Nov 4, 2009
All I gather from your links is that de-odexing is detrimental for modification purposes and as you're building a stock rom I'm not really following your logic! But anyway, its not important, thanks for posting.

Sent from my Desire Z using XDA App

WTF?

Oct 13, 2011
USA
well his logic is correct for a stock minimalist ROM, but I am still not sure it is worth the performance increase on first boot only after a dalvik cache wipe to permanently prevent any cool theme that might come along, a theme that might be minimalist in and of itself.

cswroe

Jun 11, 2007
Northwest Indiana
www.wbkl.com
Made a couple of mod's for the battery using the UOT kitchen, just sharing:

Dial
dialegc.jpg

defaultrk.jpg

Install using clockwork or 4ext.

Attachments

• DialBattery.zip.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 95
  • DefaultBattery.zip.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 53

s14mc

Oct 26, 2010
sac
Thanks for those battery mods, ive been using "dial" for the past couple days, and its great. i was thinkin on making a slim v1.1 and adding some things, but i think ima leave this rom as is and bone stock.

I do plan on making a new custom rom in the next couple days and ima use this rom as the base.

Last edited:

siulmagic

Jun 23, 2007
Bridgeport
only real benefit of leaving a rom odexed is a faster boot time,and maybe some performance gain here and there, but bare noticeable, thats about it.

but hey to each its own =).

s14mc

Oct 26, 2010
sac
only real benefit of leaving a rom odexed is a faster boot time,and maybe some performance gain here and there, but bare noticeable, thats about it.

but hey to each its own =).

The purpose of this ROM was to make the fastest, smoothest and best battrey life ROM out there. Even if the gains are maginal, they still are gains over all the rest of the ROMs out there.

on a side note, dude siul much respect to have you comment in my thread. id rather hear about the odex/de-oxed stuff from a real dev, instead of a link.

s14mc

Oct 26, 2010
sac
If your talkin about the battery mods, save them to your sd card. boot into recovery and choose flash from zip. You flash right over the rom and it updates the framework

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The purpose of this ROM was to make the fastest, smoothest and best battery life ROM out there. With the newest TMO radio, which was packed with this ROM, i get 2 full days battery life. (im in california, individual results may vary on location.)

I am also minimalist and hate anything unnecessary on my cell. I needed a way to "clean" install the newest OTA and pick and choose the apps that i really need. soooo.....

I stripped pretty much everything out of it for speed and efficiency. I get 250+ mb free ram on boot.

Features

This ROM is based off the newest 2.16 OTA update, rooted, and with all bloat removed. It is completely stock, except for the addition of launcher pro

All unnecessary apps removed, get what you want from the market
    All stock ringtones removed
    All notification sounds removed
    All stock wallpapers and live wallpapers removed
    All but smallest alarm sound removed
    All TTS removed except for US english (can be easily installed in settings, voice input/output, install voice data)
    Launcher2 replaced with launcher pro
    Official ROM size 117mb, G2 Slim 72mb

To add your own ringtones//notifications create thier appropriate folders on the root of your SD card:

media/audio/notifications
    media/audio/ringtones

compatible audio files will show up in your settings

Changelog

-mms slideshow fix (thx tun4f1sh)
    -sdcard speedfix set to 4096
    -added livewallpaper picker
    -added ICS font

-rebuilt entire ROM: I dont like breaking and fixing stuff, get it right the first time!
    -removed swypecore lib, last piece of swype, the core
    -removed htc_ebdlogd, an HTC logging file
    -updated market 3.4.4
    -sdcard readfix added and set to 2048
    -updated su binary
    -slimmed down more
    -faster

-faster

-wifi scan set to 300
    -cache changed to 50mb
    -new bootanimation (thx jbs92)
    -faster
    -slimmed down again
    -even better battery life
    -added quick search which was removed in 1.0 to fix the search button hotkey (thx ra990)

-deodexed
    -zipaligned
    -removed tell HTC//provide feedback
    -removed silent HTC report agent, service and process (what were they reporting?)
    -faster
    -slimmed down more
    -better battery life
    -added google talk which was removed in 1.0

V1.1
    -updated market 3.3.11
    -updated superuser 3.0.7
    -updated music app 4.0.9.509
    -removed old music app
    -stop the ability to recieve future OTA (thanks WTF?)

v1.0
    -Launch!

Screenshots

g2slim.png
    288468o.png

Radio

The recommended radio for this ROM is the newest Vision_Radio_12.62.60.27_26.13.04.19
    which was also packed with this ROM and when used together offer the best battery life.

Link to the radio thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=970809

Installation

It is recommended that you flash SuperWipeG2+ before flashing any ROM. This will erase all of your phone's data. The files on your SD Card will not be erased.
    1.Download SuperWipeG2+ext4 (Recommended) and the G2 Slim ROM below, and place both of the .zip files on the root of your SD Card.
    2.Assuming Clockwork Recovery is already installed, hold the Volume Down button and press the Power button to boot up your phone. Keep the Volume Down button held down until you are greeted with a white screen with skateboarding Androids on the bottom.
    3.Press Volume Down once to highlight "RECOVERY" and press Power.
    4.Once in recovery, use the trackball to hover over "install zip from sdcard". Click with the trackball to select this option.
    5.Select "choose zip from sdcard".
    6.Select "-=SuperWipeG2+ext4=-.zip" and "Yes - Insall -=SuperWipeG2+ext4=-.zip". Let the installation run; once finished, it will automatically reboot into recovery.
    7.Scroll down to "advanced" and click.
    8.Select "Wipe Dalvik Cache" and "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache"
    9.Once completed, press the back button to return to the recovery's main menu
    10.Select "install zip from sd card", "choose zip from sd card", "G2slim1.x.zip", and "Yes - Install G2slim1.x.zip"
    11.Once completed, press back again to return to the main menu
    12.Select "reboot system now"

Downloads
    The download links are located on my website. Feel free to donate for my time!

G2 Slim V1.6

superwipe g2+ext4

Video walkthrough
    Thank you dk2000zx !!!!

The only thing this ROM is missing is LED notifications. I've started using this as my DD after primarily using CM7, and this is truly the only thing I'm missing that's a "gotta have" feature. PLEASE bring this into the next update. I beg you.

You can add it yourself. Download the lights.vision.so from here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9421444/lights.vision.so

remove the same file from your device located at system/lib/hw and replace it with the new downloaded file. It is the same LED notification as on CM7.
    are you filming your videos with an iphone?
    ill still check out your rom anyway, love minimal roms, i dont use too much on my phone so this will be great for me im sure! thanks ahead of time for your work!

HELL NO, no way man, I've NEVER owned an apple product. I'm the biggest apple hater there is. A really cool member made the vid for me and uploaded it.

Ya I'm a super minimalist, the only reason I rooted was to kill off the tmobile bloat. Then I got a lil crazy with it, learned a bunch of battery saving tips, some speed tweaks and it turned into a great learning experience. I can't stand unneeded **** on my cell or my computer.

And hit the thanks button homie!
    updated ROM:

-faster

jus keeps gettin better
    Where you found email.apk for this rom?
    I found application from android 2.2 but it FCing every time :(

I extracted the email apk from the latest tmobile release, but could not get it installed even after changing permissions. So I tried the CM7.1 email apk and installed without any issues. I have attached the CM 7.1 email apk.