[ROM]The.Emilio Unchained -- 2/23/2013

Search This thread

the.emilio

"What the hell bro,
you spilled mayonnaise on my new kicks yo!"

Team SOLO aka The.Emilio presents
The.Emilio Unchained featuring the Seeder Entropy Generator

Prerequisite: So basically, I made this little ROM that is based on the latest CM7.2 Nightly (1/1/2013) and wanted pure speed out of this. I had came across a little mod called Seeder that I shared in the General thread and everyone seems to be having great performance increase, and that was on Jelly Bean based ROMs. I personally experienced this on a Jelly Bean based ROM and actually underclocked with a MIN setting of 384 and MAX of 652 with no lag at all. On Jelly Bean!!! So I said to myself, self, how awesome would this be on a Gingerbread ROM? Well, here it is. The.Emilio Unchained.

Whats in it?!?!:
Code:
[SIZE="3"]Android version 2.3.7 CM7.2 Nightly 1/1/2013
Gapps - Most updated including Gmail
Mason v0.14 sbc-fso kernel
Jelly Bean/ICS modded framework and SystemUI (makes it look like JB/ICS)
Seeder 2.0 entropy generator (what makes this ROM special)
Ice10 Theme for Theme Chooser
ADW Launcher version 1.3.3.8
DSP Manager
Kernel optimization
Init.d tweaks for improved performance
Specific and modified battery tweaks for improved CPU sleep and battery saving
MegaBassBeats by DeHuMaNiZeD
Sony XLoud Audio by XxXPachaXxX
Nexus 4 wallpaper chooser
[/SIZE]

Changelog:
Code:
[SIZE="3"]2/23/2013
-----------
Added inverted gapps

2/7/2013
-----------
Removed Seeder script and replaced with the actual app that
can be enabled and disabled based on user preference
Changed kernel to stable Mason G v0.14
Few modified tweaks here and there
Added Jelly Bean/ICS modded framework and SystemUI (makes it look like JB/ICS)
Added Ice10 theme to complete the look (see install instructions and screenshots)
Removed A2SD so all can enjoy (you can still flash in recovery if you want A2SD)
Much more that I can't think of right now

1/12/2013
-----------
Updated Seeder scripts to latest (includes suspend mode while sleeping)

1/6/2013
-----------
Added MegaBassBeats by DeHuMaNiZeD (better and clearer audio with great bass)
Added Sony XLoud Audio by XxXPachaXxX
Added Nexus 4 wallpaper chooser
Fine tuned battery tweaks for sleep with low power mode (decreases CPU power)

1/5/2013 v1.1
-----------
init.d scripts created for better battery performance, kernel improvements
vm management tweaks
Kernel tweaks implemented
build.prop tweaks (too many to list) added for performance, image quality,battery, RAM utilization for apps
sysctl tweaks for improve battery and kernel performance
EXT 4 tweaks for improved I/O
Data speed improvements on 3G, WiMax and WiFi

1/5/2013 v1.0
-----------
Initial Release - Expect more to come! This is just the tip of the ice berg for this. Over time, I will include kernel tweals, build.prop tweaks, init.d and other tweaks to make this faster and more stable.
[/SIZE]

What does/doesn't work:
Code:
[SIZE="3"]Everything that usually works on CM7
[/SIZE]

What do I need to run this beast? (preferred but not required):
Code:
[SIZE="3"]Suggested SmelkusMod recovery to ensure proper flashing
Partitioned SD to EXT 4 - I include A2SD which is baked in as well as EXT 4 tweaks for improved I/O which leads to better performance for A2SD. This helps apps open faster and makes everything seamless.
[/SIZE]

Credits:
Code:
Atyoung - for the kernel http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23615703&postcount=1
lambgx02 - the developer of the Seeder APK/Flashable zip
rujelus22 for the inverted apps http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15980227&postcount=1
Dsixda
DeHuMaNiZeD - for MegaBassBeats mod
XxXPachaXxX - for XLoud mod
CyanogenMod Team - for making the base for the ROM
MBQSniper for his input
Bill_Dollar for getting the ball rolling on the Jelly Bean mod that is included
The EVO 4G Community - For keeping Jurassic Park alive and wanting more and more beyond what the device was ever meant to handle

You can learn more about the Seeder app I included by visiting the original thread at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1987032

Be sure to show lambgx02 some love and thanks while you are there!!

PLEASE READ THE SECOND POST FOR INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

Download Standard Edition:
the.emilio-unchained-v2.0.zip - 121.43 MB

Download Black Ice Edition:
the.emilio-unchained-blackicev1.0.zip - 137.19 MB

Attachments

• screenshot-20130105-044103am.jpg
    screenshot-20130105-044103am.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 9,456
  • screenshot-20130105-043755am.jpg
    screenshot-20130105-043755am.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 8,604
  • screenshot-20130105-043032am.jpg
    screenshot-20130105-043032am.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 8,429
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360016591900.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360016591900.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,581
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360016613985.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360016613985.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,520
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360016636989.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360016636989.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,446
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360016654368.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360016654368.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,309
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360016801687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360016801687.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,161
  • screenshot-20130222-114015pm.jpg
    screenshot-20130222-114015pm.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,525
  • screenshot-20130222-113858pm.jpg
    screenshot-20130222-113858pm.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,495
  • screenshot-20130222-114415pm.jpg
    screenshot-20130222-114415pm.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,541
  • screenshot-20130222-114442pm.jpg
    screenshot-20130222-114442pm.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,613
  • screenshot-20130222-114535pm.jpg
    screenshot-20130222-114535pm.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,613
Last edited:

the.emilio

To Install:

1.) Download latest version and save to SD
2.) Reboot to recovery
3.) Wipe all (preferably with Smelkus Mod)
4a.) Flash ROM
4b.) Flash A2SD (optional skip to step 5 if you do not want A2SD)
5.) Setup device
6.) Go to settings, Themes and select Ice10
7.) Reboot and enjoy!!

Attachments

• dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 362
Last edited:

Diablo67

Looks like the EVO is picking up,not losing ground,you guys are killing it,nice work brother.Great to see more keeping the EVO alive.

Looks like i got first on this one guys,hahahaha.

If you guys would like to know about this seeder tweak app,read what the dev wrote about it...

On some (older) versions of Android, the JVM (and other components) read large amounts of random data from the blocking /dev/random device. On newer builds, this problem has been solved, yet depletion of the input entropy pool still seems to slow devices.

So, I cross-compiled rngd, and used it to feed /dev/urandom into /dev/random at 1 second intervals.

Result? Significant lag reduction!

Chrome, maps, and other heavy applications switch instantaneously, and map tiles populate as fast as I can scroll. You know how sometimes when you hit the home button, it takes 5-10 seconds for the home screen to repopulate? Yeah. Blocking on read of /dev/random. Problem solved. But don't take my word for it .. give it a shot!

This version fixes the issue some users were seeing on later Jellybean ROMs, where the UI would misreport the RNG service status.

Note that this APK is actually compatible with all Android versions, and all (armel) devices. It's not at all specific to the Captivate Glide.

Caveats

There is a (theoretical) security risk, in that seeding /dev/random with /dev/urandom decreases the quality of the random data. In practice, the odds of this being cryptographically exploited are far lower than the odds of someone attacking the OS itself (a much simpler challenge).
This may adversely affect battery life, since it wakes every second. It does not hold a wakelock, so it shouldn't have a big impact, but let me know if you think it's causing problems. I can add a blocking read to the code so that it only executes while the screen is on. On the other hand, many of us attribute lag to lacking CPU power. Since this hack eliminates almost all lag, there is less of a need to overclock, potentially reducing battery consumption.
There has been a large amount of speculation on why/if this actually improves performance on ICS+ devices.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1987032

Last edited:

the.emilio

Looks like the EVO is picking up,not losing ground,you guys are killing it,nice work brother.Great to see more keeping the EVO alive.

LOL yessir! Stick around man. This is gonna be fun. More and more tweaks are being created for newer devices to run better, that in turn, they make our OG run better. Gotta love technology advancements!

Reactions: tvaughn

Diablo67

Yes sir!!they are definitely blowing up over in the android forum.

Edit:you want to hear the funny thing?your the one that turned me on to the Seeder app and i was thinking i ran across it myself,until i just found your thread in general,lol.Great job on the find,now to see how good it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: the.emilio

the.emilio

Its amazing. My thread in General is a testament to that. Mind you as of now there are no additional battery tweaks other than the Mason kernel and user ability to uc. I wanted to get this out as stock first so we can get a good impression on how well this runs without addition build.prop and init.d tweaks. I will be adding battery tweaks for better sleep states, kernel optimization tweaks such as COD and more in the future.

Everyone please leave feedback on how this is running. As I am typing this I am in awe of how responsive it is.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

storm68

Sep 8, 2010
Orlando
Why is it that the circle time and weather widget are not on the rom like on your pics?

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

the.emilio

Why is it that the circle time and weather widget are not on the rom like on your pics?

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

It is. It's a widget that I included called one clock widget. Long hold on the home screen, add widget, its the one named ocw. There are many skins you can choose from. The one I am using is chrome rings I believe. But there is a vast amount of other nice skins as well.

the.emilio

Holy crap!!! Another killer rom for me to test :) " its gonna be a good day, tater"

Sent from my IdeaTab A2107A-F using Tapatalk HD

You wont be disappointed.

This rom rips, seriously! Underclocked to 245-768 and the phone still felt overclocked. Looks good and looking forward to whatever tweaks you decide to use.

Sent from my ever-changing OG Evo...

Thanks! Stick around for a bit ;)

the.emilio

Updated with version 1.1.

vm management tweaks
build.prop tweaks (too many to list) added for performance, image quality,battery, RAM utilization for apps

This thing is freaking flying! Next up some audio tweaks (huge audiophile) and even more display optimization. Let me know how this is running. I can only improve on what the community says is needed. :good:

the.emilio

Everytime I think the EVO is just about forgotten, you guys show that it is still a major player in the super phone world. Thanks for all you do. I will definitely add yours to a boot manager slot of Roms I use!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks I appreciate that. :D As mentioned this is only the beginning. I plan on learning on how to optimize this and others on a deeper level other than basic tweaks. Learned alot just looking up vm enhancement and kernel enhancements for this rom which I included.

Reactions: tvaughn and lipps

MBQ_

Sep 3, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
MBQonXDA.com
You never disappoint bro.

Good work! :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Thanks I appreciate that. :D As mentioned this is only the beginning. I plan on learning on how to optimize this and others on a deeper level other than basic tweaks. Learned alot just looking up vm enhancement and kernel enhancements for this rom which I included.

What kind of environment are you building in?

Reactions: the.emilio

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "What the hell bro,
    you spilled mayonnaise on my new kicks yo!"

Team SOLO aka The.Emilio presents
    The.Emilio Unchained featuring the Seeder Entropy Generator

Prerequisite: So basically, I made this little ROM that is based on the latest CM7.2 Nightly (1/1/2013) and wanted pure speed out of this. I had came across a little mod called Seeder that I shared in the General thread and everyone seems to be having great performance increase, and that was on Jelly Bean based ROMs. I personally experienced this on a Jelly Bean based ROM and actually underclocked with a MIN setting of 384 and MAX of 652 with no lag at all. On Jelly Bean!!! So I said to myself, self, how awesome would this be on a Gingerbread ROM? Well, here it is. The.Emilio Unchained.

Whats in it?!?!:
    Code:
    [SIZE="3"]Android version 2.3.7 CM7.2 Nightly 1/1/2013
    Gapps - Most updated including Gmail
    Mason v0.14 sbc-fso kernel
    Jelly Bean/ICS modded framework and SystemUI (makes it look like JB/ICS)
    Seeder 2.0 entropy generator (what makes this ROM special)
    Ice10 Theme for Theme Chooser
    ADW Launcher version 1.3.3.8
    DSP Manager
    Kernel optimization
    Init.d tweaks for improved performance
    Specific and modified battery tweaks for improved CPU sleep and battery saving
    MegaBassBeats by DeHuMaNiZeD
    Sony XLoud Audio by XxXPachaXxX
    Nexus 4 wallpaper chooser
    [/SIZE]

Changelog:
    Code:
    [SIZE="3"]2/23/2013
    -----------
    Added inverted gapps

2/7/2013
    -----------
    Removed Seeder script and replaced with the actual app that
    can be enabled and disabled based on user preference
    Changed kernel to stable Mason G v0.14
    Few modified tweaks here and there
    Added Jelly Bean/ICS modded framework and SystemUI (makes it look like JB/ICS)
    Added Ice10 theme to complete the look (see install instructions and screenshots)
    Removed A2SD so all can enjoy (you can still flash in recovery if you want A2SD)
    Much more that I can't think of right now

1/12/2013
    -----------
    Updated Seeder scripts to latest (includes suspend mode while sleeping)

1/6/2013
    -----------
    Added MegaBassBeats by DeHuMaNiZeD (better and clearer audio with great bass)
    Added Sony XLoud Audio by XxXPachaXxX
    Added Nexus 4 wallpaper chooser
    Fine tuned battery tweaks for sleep with low power mode (decreases CPU power)

1/5/2013 v1.1
    -----------
    vm management tweaks

1/5/2013 v1.0
    -----------
    Initial Release - Expect more to come! This is just the tip of the ice berg for this. Over time, I will include kernel tweals, build.prop tweaks, init.d and other tweaks to make this faster and more stable.
    [/SIZE]

What does/doesn't work:
    Code:
    [SIZE="3"]Everything that usually works on CM7
    [/SIZE]

What do I need to run this beast? (preferred but not required):
    Code:
    [SIZE="3"]Suggested SmelkusMod recovery to ensure proper flashing
    Partitioned SD to EXT 4 - I include A2SD which is baked in as well as EXT 4 tweaks for improved I/O which leads to better performance for A2SD. This helps apps open faster and makes everything seamless.
    [/SIZE]

Credits:
    Code:
    Atyoung - for the kernel http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23615703&postcount=1
    lambgx02 - the developer of the Seeder APK/Flashable zip
    rujelus22 for the inverted apps http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15980227&postcount=1
    Dsixda
    DeHuMaNiZeD - for MegaBassBeats mod
    XxXPachaXxX - for XLoud mod
    CyanogenMod Team - for making the base for the ROM
    MBQSniper for his input
    Bill_Dollar for getting the ball rolling on the Jelly Bean mod that is included
    The EVO 4G Community - For keeping Jurassic Park alive and wanting more and more beyond what the device was ever meant to handle

You can learn more about the Seeder app I included by visiting the original thread at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1987032

Be sure to show lambgx02 some love and thanks while you are there!!

PLEASE READ THE SECOND POST FOR INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

Download Standard Edition:
    the.emilio-unchained-v2.0.zip - 121.43 MB

Download Black Ice Edition:
    the.emilio-unchained-blackicev1.0.zip - 137.19 MB
    While many developers have jumped ship to newer devices, it sure is good to see development continue on our old EVOs. A shout out to all those devs, new and old, who continue to provide new stuff for us to play with :)
    Downloading now...

Thanks! I would hold off on the download for the next 15 minutes ;) Got one last update for the weekend coming out.
    Thanks for your patience. I am working on this... HUGE update. Might not seem big to most, but for me it is. Switching from the CM7 base to a pure AOSP that I am currently building from source. And from straight Android source, not the CM source. This will be pure, vanilla android that I compiled on my own. Hopefully there are no issues with the compiling and hope to have something for ya'll this weekend. Fingers crossed! Until then, enjoy the little screen shot of my build compiling :fingers-crossed:

If you guys would like to know about this seeder tweak app,read what the dev wrote about it...

On some (older) versions of Android, the JVM (and other components) read large amounts of random data from the blocking /dev/random device. On newer builds, this problem has been solved, yet depletion of the input entropy pool still seems to slow devices.

So, I cross-compiled rngd, and used it to feed /dev/urandom into /dev/random at 1 second intervals.

Result? Significant lag reduction!

Chrome, maps, and other heavy applications switch instantaneously, and map tiles populate as fast as I can scroll. You know how sometimes when you hit the home button, it takes 5-10 seconds for the home screen to repopulate? Yeah. Blocking on read of /dev/random. Problem solved. But don't take my word for it .. give it a shot!

This version fixes the issue some users were seeing on later Jellybean ROMs, where the UI would misreport the RNG service status.

Note that this APK is actually compatible with all Android versions, and all (armel) devices. It's not at all specific to the Captivate Glide.

Caveats

There is a (theoretical) security risk, in that seeding /dev/random with /dev/urandom decreases the quality of the random data. In practice, the odds of this being cryptographically exploited are far lower than the odds of someone attacking the OS itself (a much simpler challenge).
    This may adversely affect battery life, since it wakes every second. It does not hold a wakelock, so it shouldn't have a big impact, but let me know if you think it's causing problems. I can add a blocking read to the code so that it only executes while the screen is on. On the other hand, many of us attribute lag to lacking CPU power. Since this hack eliminates almost all lag, there is less of a need to overclock, potentially reducing battery consumption.
    There has been a large amount of speculation on why/if this actually improves performance on ICS+ devices.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1987032
    Updated OP with version 1.3

Notable change is the Seeder scripts have been updated to latest available. Adds suspend mode while sleeping.
    Slimmed down ROM by removing some wallpaper apks and themes.

Rom is definitely faster. Benchmarks have increased and now averaging close to 1040 at 998mhz in Performance governor.

Also recommend to run a2sd cachesd to free up some more internal memory.

Enjoy!