[ISSUE SOLVED] Random Signal drop (T-mobile)

Search This thread

t3dpott3r

Dec 9, 2012
Los Angeles
Hey Everyone,

I am really hoping that someone can assist me with this issue as its is starting to get very bothersome.

Issue:
  • Random signal drops on T-mobile network (Seems that when I am running something it will stay connected but if nothing is using data then signal drops and I must toggle service ie: airplane mode, data toggle, reboot before it will turn back on)
  • When I try to boot back out of recovery TWRP says I have lost root and asks if I want to fix it

Concerns:
  • When I run the phone app "Phone Info" *SAMSUNG* it tells me that knox security has been tripped?

Steps I have taken to correct:

Current phone info:
  • ROM: Jedi Master X2 4.3
  • Baseband: T889UVUCMK7
  • Bootloader: T889UVUCMK7

I am probably missing something but I think this is a great start... If you need any other info to help diagnose please let me know!

Please help :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:
Reactions: atomcontra

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
Make sure you set Selinux to permissive. You can use an app from the play store.

I am not sure what ROM you say you are on. Jedi Master X2 or Jedi x20 are different and neither are 4.4 ROMs. Jedi Master X20 could eventually be a 4.4 ROM I guess. The x20 ROM would make the equation a bit odd as selinux is not present.

Alternatively, some power saving features will kill mobile data when not in use. Power saving apps may do the same only more dramatically.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

t3dpott3r

Dec 9, 2012
Los Angeles
Make sure you set Selinux to permissive. You can use an app from the play store.

I am not sure what ROM you say you are on. Jedi Master X2 or Jedi x20 are different and neither are 4.4 ROMs. Jedi Master X20 could eventually be a 4.4 ROM I guess. The x20 ROM would make the equation a bit odd as selinux is not present.

Alternatively, some power saving features will kill mobile data when not in use. Power saving apps may do the same only more dramatically.

Crap you are right...lol I fixed ROM name on Jedi ROM in OP

It is JediMaster X2 4.3

I have NO power saving apps installed and even uninstalled Greenify to see if I could have accidentally hibernated a vital system app.

As for the SElinux, I downloaded and installed SElinux Mode Changer like you suggested and was able to change my Selinux to permissive (it was set to Enforcing) As you can see from the photos I do have SElinux? Is this wrong? I did a clean install of Jedi X2 right after flashing root66_TMO_T889UVUCMK7_2.tar.md5

Its been about 10 minutes since changing to permissive now and no drops... I will report back if it happens again.

If you don't mind me asking what is SElinux and if I shouldn't have it how do I get rid of it?

Thanks again @Coug76!

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle

It is JediMaster X2 4.3

I have NO power saving apps installed and even uninstalled Greenify to see if I could have accidentally hibernated a vital system app.

As for the SElinux, I downloaded and installed SElinux Mode Changer like you suggested and was able to change my Selinux to permissive (it was set to Enforcing) As you can see from the photos I do have SElinux? Is this wrong? I did a clean install of Jedi X2 right after flashing root66_TMO_T889UVUCMK7_2.tar.md5

Its been about 10 minutes since changing to permissive now and no drops... I will report back if it happens again.

If you don't mind me asking what is SElinux and if I shouldn't have it how do I get rid of it?

Thanks again @Coug76!

SELinux is a security protocol that watches for and blocks certain changes in the software around the kernel level (IIRC). Google will give you MUCH better info than I can in the subject...

One thing I do know though is that when people are stuck on the type of thing you were, permissive SELinux is usually the answer.

I read a lot here. I remember stuff. I like to help people.

Reactions: t3dpott3r

t3dpott3r

Dec 9, 2012
Los Angeles
SELinux is a security protocol that watches for and blocks certain changes in the software around the kernel level (IIRC). Google will give you MUCH better info than I can in the subject...

One thing I do know though is that when people complain about the type of thing you did, permissive SELinux is usually the answer.

I don't know how it happened as I had been on the same rom for days when it started out of nowhere, but that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

While I have you any clue on why I keep losing root?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
I don't know how it happened as I had been on the same rom for days when it started out of nowhere, but that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

While I have you any clue on why I keep losing root?

Which recovery and version are you on? Might actually be SELinux as well but I never had that problem with my installs cause I always set to permissive.

Knox REALLY likes to dump root too.

Did you do full wipes between ROM flashes? If not there could *possibly* be bits of Knox messing with you from a non-deknoxed install. It's a stretch, but a nandroid and wipe then check is relatively painless.

t3dpott3r

Dec 9, 2012
Los Angeles
Which recovery and version are you on? Might actually be SELinux as well but I never had that problem with my installs cause I always set to permissive.

Did you do full wipes between ROM flashes? If not there could *possibly* be bits of Knox messing with you from a non-deknoxed install. It's a stretch, but a nandroid and wipe then check is relatively painless.

Currently running TWRP 2.6.0.1-t0tetmo

When I wipe via TWRP I choose Advanced Wipe:
- Dalvik
- Cache
- System
- Data

Should I wipe internal also?

I don't know if it matters but I don't use titanium back up or anything... When I install a new ROM I always start from scratch.

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore

I've been on the knox bootloader since it was released..... never had an issue with root, my wifi, keeping stable signals.....nada... Knox isnt causing all these issues people are having I assure you. If anything, id say trying to keep a 4.1 bootloader is what causes more issues in the end ;)

I only state this because so many people are spreading misinformation around. Knox bootloader isnt all that bad.

People just worry too much about warranty issues. I've never heard of samsung denying an obvious hardware issue even with knox tripped. Heck ive sent in 2 or 3 other samsung phones for hardware issues in the past with their warranty counters tripped.

If you arent careful and actually brick your device, I wouldn't expect them to honor their warranty anyway as it wasn't the phone failing.

Before flashing anything, always read read and read again to make sure you know what you are doing. If you arent comfortable rooting, flashing, etc.....simply dont try it or give the phone to someone who does.

Ok enough with my rant.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

t3dpott3r

Dec 9, 2012
Los Angeles
I've been on the knox bootloader since it was released..... never had an issue with root, my wifi, keeping stable signals.....nada... Knox isnt causing all these issues people are having I assure you. If anything, id say trying to keep a 4.1 bootloader is what causes more issues in the end ;)

I only state this because so many people are spreading misinformation around. Knox bootloader isnt all that bad.

People just worry too much about warranty issues. I've never heard of samsung denying an obvious hardware issue even with knox tripped. Heck ive sent in 2 or 3 other samsung phones for hardware issues in the past with their warranty counters tripped.

If you arent careful and actually brick your device, I wouldn't expect them to honor their warranty anyway as it wasn't the phone failing.

Before flashing anything, always read read and read again to make sure you know what you are doing. If you arent comfortable rooting, flashing, etc.....simply dont try it or give the phone to someone who does.

Ok enough with my rant.

I want to clarify im not blaming Knox in the slightest. I only mentioned it in the OP in the hopes that it would help in the trouble shooting process. Im still losing root when I boot out of TWRP/fix permissions and it asks if I want to fix.

I have done clean flash after ODIN to stock and I have also re flashed the newest Super SU with no luck fixing it. TBH once im booted in ROM I have ZERO issues but I have never had this happen before installing the 4.3 bootloader.

Just trying to get to the bottom of it as its probably something I did and not Knox.

Thanks for your feedback though.

Reactions: pyraxiate

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle

Ok enough with my rant.

Thanks for the insight.

Didn't mention the bootloader at all. It's good that you found a venue for your opinion though.

I feel differently about the subject, but we have the right to value what we wish. I could care less about warranty, I value keeping options open until other needs necessitate closing them. There is no need in my life to destroy the utility that knox might allow for if I need it for work purposes. I see no downside to keeping the old bootloader at this point. YMMV.

I was more referring to an updater script not wiping system and missing Knox (due to dirty flashing). Could happen. Flash a ROM that has Knox enabled and try to root it. Knox loves to dump root. The average guy is going to struggle with it unless they read up and use others work and experience.

baabafadil

Jun 21, 2015
Kampaa
www.baabafadil.blogspot.com
@Coug76 I have installed SElinux & activated permissive & rebooted but my network still keeps droping, i mean no change happened.

Current Status;
SGH-T889
Firmware 4.3
Rooted

Actions b4;
Tried many custom roms after clean flash at evry flash
Tried changing model when i used Ariza patch.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey Everyone,

I am really hoping that someone can assist me with this issue as its is starting to get very bothersome.

Issue:
    • Random signal drops on T-mobile network (Seems that when I am running something it will stay connected but if nothing is using data then signal drops and I must toggle service ie: airplane mode, data toggle, reboot before it will turn back on)
    • When I try to boot back out of recovery TWRP says I have lost root and asks if I want to fix it

Concerns:
    • When I run the phone app "Phone Info" *SAMSUNG* it tells me that knox security has been tripped?

Steps I have taken to correct:

Current phone info:
    • ROM: Jedi Master X2 4.3
    • Baseband: T889UVUCMK7
    • Bootloader: T889UVUCMK7

I am probably missing something but I think this is a great start... If you need any other info to help diagnose please let me know!

Please help :fingers-crossed:

It is JediMaster X2 4.3

Thanks again @Coug76!

One thing I do know though is that when people are stuck on the type of thing you were, permissive SELinux is usually the answer.

I read a lot here. I remember stuff. I like to help people.

You should run 2.7.0.1 for twrp. Will do much better for data stuff.

Ok enough with my rant.