[Q] Random Reboots (SM-P605) Suspect Google Play

Search This thread

manhattan212

Aug 19, 2011
My tablet recently began entering a locked blue screen state devoid of text or icon. It holds there for one to three seconds and then reboots.

Prior to the start of this rebooting sequence trend I downloaded and installed the stock ROM listed on my signature, hoping that it would alleviate some issues with delay in screen tap response, some occasional heating during gaming along with what I perceived to be a little bit of driver related lag.

I haven't figured out when, why, or how it decides to reboot. But as far as I can tell it seems to be related to [behind the scenes machinery of] Google Play (GP). I suspect this because it has happened when I've launched GP or GP tried to do some updates or software installation.

Incidentally, though possibly unrelated, when I try to add an account via settings, at the sign in page, the device returns unable to sign-in message citing connectivity issues. I am in China, so I suspect this could all be related. To get around this issue, I log into a VPN service. This allows me to sign in and add the account to the device. However, in order to play any games, I must log off the VPN. But once the account has been added to the device, it more-or-less is able to access some of the Google services (at least the ones not outright blocked -such as drive and YouTube).

In my troubleshooting attempts, I have thus far done a cache wipe and factory reset from the boot menu. All to no avail.

At this point I need to live in constant fear of a sudden reboot, for I know not when it will strike next.

I would appreciate some suggestions on either what the issue might be, how to determine the cause, or how to solve it.

Thanks

Last edited:

manhattan212

Aug 19, 2011
Funny story...

So Kitkat has been released, for the TGY country code.. Yay!

P605ZSUCNE3_P605OZSCNE3_P605ZSUCNE1_HOME.tar

Is the md5 file to be put into the AP slot of Odin 3.09, for my tablet.

I was excited thinking this would address the issue.
Prior to flashing the ROM I factory reset from within the settings, then I went into the recovery boot menu and there I wiped the cache and did a factory reset once more.

Then I proceeded to setup and sign into my Google account, after flashing the ROM.
Naturally the tablet went ahead and started downloading and installing apps and updates from Google Play.

I was happy to see that it was progressing along swimmingly.
The screen dimmed down and then shutdown after period of inactivity (while downloading and installing apps in the background).
Occasionally, I'd click the home button to see tat everything was going as it ought.
I then noticed the screen turned black somewhat suddenly, without dimming first.
I thought little of it.But I went to check by pressing the home button... I figured maybe there's a little lag or the tablet is too busy installing, so I clicked the power button. Nothing; no response.

The tablet is deader than dead.
Now I don't know what to do.

Last edited:

manhattan212

Aug 19, 2011
After waiting a while, under the advisement of another user who apparently has also been having issues with his note 10.1 2014, I decided to try to long press the power button. The tablet came back on, and resumed downloading and updating from Google.

But now the tablet is going into this sudden blank blue screen and most of the time rebooting on its own (occasionally it needs a little help, by the pressing and holding of the power button to induce the reboot) ever so randomly. I have found absolutely nor rhyme nor reason for when or how it decides it's going to reboot itself. It tends to happen often if/when I launch some apps that require logging into Google services; but at times it happens without provocation -at all.

Recently it's been boot-looping -without the launching of any app... just from turning on, sitting idle, and then rebooting. But I'm no closer to figuring out how to consistently induce the reboot, either.

My tablet has never been rooted (and for obvious reasons, never will be), no custom ROM, no ROM from another region. Nothing that would give Samsung the excuse to void my warranty (not that it's worth much, here in China).
And yet, it still reboots at random intervals for no immediately apparent reason.

In any event, if anyone has any ideas on how to proceed, any suggestions on what to do with this POS, I'm open to suggestions.

I'm interested in general ideas such as take it to the Samsung shop (something I'm loathe to do because Samsung has terrible service -especially in China- and at best I'm looking at a month or something like that before I get it back), so some ideas on how to discover when/why/how this rebooting sequence is being triggered -and maybe troubleshoot it is slightly preferable.