[ROM] MinimalX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

c21johnson

Dec 5, 2010
Due to recent controversy of this ROM, I have decided to halt development until I get the more important things settled in my life. Mostly finishing up with summer semester. Id also like to give "due" credit to the original devs of tell chinese ROM. I did use their ROM as a base for initial quick release to please X2 users. The files were highly modified to meet our needs, which indeed entitles it to my custom work... but to clear any possible arguments, I'm posting this so it is the first thing you read, and all is fully understood! As for future releases of minimalX, there is not a single trace of the Chinese ROM remaining. After the initial release, I did a system dump and started from scratch, just keeping the ideas of the original ROM and copying over modifications I had made. I hope this clears everything up.

Thanks to all those who have supported my development. This is a little ridiculous that I am having to do this, but I hope this nullifies any arguments of those who are not contributing to X2 development.

Release version GAMMA 3.0 finally released! See below for download. Sorry, I don't have to release details just yet. Edit: Removed for modifications. It didn't seen compatible with others devices.

Droid X2

Minimal X

screen201107182252.png
screen201107182253.png
screen201107182301.png
screen201107182300.png
screen201107182315.png

*Disclaimer* This is a beta build of this ROM. It is mostly stable, but hasn't been thoroughly tested by anyone but myself. I decided to release it publicly due to the lack of current ROMs for users to flash. I expect general feedback based up what is currently in the ROM and what I can do to improve it. For legal reasons, flashing this ROM is based on your own decision, if it causes any mishap with your phone, feel free to message me and I will work with you to fix it, but I am in no way responsible for anything you do.

Not a whole lot of time to type this up -- I plan on editing when I have more time and as the build progresses.

This ROM is mostly debloated. Some bloat is left for general function of the phone. I tried to leave any bloat application that applies function to the phone that is otherwise inaccessible. This makes it an awesome base ROM for anyone who wishes to develop.

There are also many edits to system files such as the build.prop, apks, framework, etc. These edits are mostly performance based enhancements, but there are some visual changes as well. I plan on continuing the theme on this ROM based on user input. I may also consider converting back to stock theme and allowing flashable themes for those who wish to have more options. Themes that have been previously created for the Droid X2 (so far, I believe there are a total of three posted at XDA) should be flashable over top of this ROM, but I am making no guarantees. Also added is a sleep mode (accessed by holding power) which lowers power consumption, and turns off wireless signal -- The device is able to be accessed again by holding power. In general, it allows for maximum battery conservation compared to turning off the device.

TLDR;
  • Bloat removed
  • System edits
  • Framework edits
  • Much more...

In future updates, I plan on doing what you, the consumer, wants to happen. Firstly, I plan on cooking SuperCharger into the ROM. And hopefully, in the near future, I can figure out how to overclock this beast.

As for performance, this ROM runs great. I average around 3000 in Quadrant and in AnTuTu Benchmark, I average around 4750.

This ROM is optimized for performance, but doesn't lack on functionality. I hope you all can find great use of it and enjoy the work I have done.

Instructions:
  1. Gain SuperUser access by rooting your device via Gingerbreak.apk
  2. Install recovery
  3. Move ROM (.zip) to external SD card
  4. Boot into Recovery using the APK
  5. [optional] Clear Data/ Factory Reset
  6. [optional] Clear Cache
  7. Choose Install .zip from SD
  8. Choose SD card
  9. Navigate to the ROM (.zip)
  10. Confirm install
  11. Reboot once installation is complete
  12. When rom boots, be sure to firstly make your default keyboard something other than "Moto input method" (explained later)
  13. Enjoy!
I plan on adding more detailed instructions at a later date...

Known issues:
  • User must change keyboard away from "Moto input method." This keyboard was removed from the build, but hasn't had all traces cleared yet. It will not appear due to most of the structure and APK being removed.
  • Charging battery animation is default
  • Browser search function is faulty. To fix, please install Google Search from the Android Market.

Please let me know of any additional issues you run into!!!

Otherwise, enjoy your DROID X2!

Beta 2.0 (Mirror 1)
Beta 2.0 (Mirror 2)

NEWEST RELEASE:

GAMMA 3.0 (temp removed)

Lastly, I develop for fun, but if you feel it necessary, donate to the cause.
Actually, we could make this into a fun drinking game. My 21st birthday is August 1st. I plan on getting $**t housed all day and all that weekend. If you donate, before August 6th, your donation funds will go strictly towards alcohol. If you donate, feel free to message me with what you wish for me to purchase with that given cash (note: if you want something specific, please donate that specific amount, otherwise, it'll probably go towards some PBR). I'll try to take pictures of the drinks before and after (depending on how wasted I am) and I'll message those who donated, or anyone who requests, with what kind of damage was done. Haha, I have some experience under my belt, so, don't take it easy. This should be fun.

Happy Android-ing to everyone!

May the Droid X2 prosper!

This post is not subject to perfect grammar; no one really cares. Enjoy the ROM!

Last edited:

acPIZZA

Feb 6, 2011
Screenshots? I would like to see what visual changes have been made - thanks (and thanks for stepping up to the plate).

Reactions: c21johnson

c21johnson

Dec 5, 2010
Screenshots? I would like to see what visual changes have been made - thanks (and thanks for stepping up to the plate).

Taking screen shots as we spea.... type. There aren't a whole lot of visual changes, just minor ones. They are the last thing I decided to tweak before releasing. I wanted to get it out tonight, so, I stopped editing for the time being to release.

I hope everyone enjoys!

After posting these screens, I'm calling it a night. Any issues will be addressed immediately tomorrow.

meleii

Jul 11, 2011
Gratz on the first custom rom!!! I can't wait to get my dx2 to get in on the awesomeness of its community!!!

Sent from my soon to be dx2

c21johnson

Dec 5, 2010
Updated first post with screenshots. As stated, the development of visual changes is very minimal at the moment. I wanted more input on whether or not the community wanted the default + flashable themes, or it to come already themed.

Thanks!

SwiftLegend

Apr 1, 2010
Sweet! Now I'm starting to not want to switch phones. Flashing this soon. Too bad I wasted time in UOT making a theme cause this BLOWS it out the water :)

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
This is a great way to end the day! Downloaded and will be flashing after I make a backup of my current setup... Can anyone confirm if exchange is included and working as I need it for work... Can't be without it...

calcappone

May 11, 2010
Great Job!!!!!

This is what I've been waiting on. Thanks a million! Now I hope the jumpstarts more roms because i cant wait to get some CM7 action going on the DX2

mistawolfe

Nov 21, 2010
Has anyone flashed this without wiping data/cache? Just curious, as I did a full wipe and flashed it and none of my apps came back.

mygraine

Aug 4, 2008
Try Titanium backup. It puts all your apps back. (I know, I'm a smart ass)

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

mygraine

Aug 4, 2008
Not wiping data cache breaks quite a few apps. I wouldn't recommendations it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

AuxiliaryPie

Oct 28, 2010
first off: GREAT JOB to the dev..so far it seems like the DX2 is made for custom roms (being that the stuff moto has put out is ****ty). Thank you for being the first!

my request: Can someone theme this to look like VANILLA android? the things that irk me most about blur are the lock screen (ugly), icons (camera, messaging, etc [also ugly], the status bar (ugly)...im sure im not the only one who feels this way, if someone could be so nice as to make a vanilla theme, i am sure many others like me would greatly appreciate it!! thanks again dev

acPIZZA

Feb 6, 2011
first off: GREAT JOB to the dev..so far it seems like the DX2 is made for custom roms (being that the stuff moto has put out is ****ty). Thank you for being the first!

my request: Can someone theme this to look like VANILLA android? the things that irk me most about blur are the lock screen (ugly), icons (camera, messaging, etc [also ugly], the status bar (ugly)...im sure im not the only one who feels this way, if someone could be so nice as to make a vanilla theme, i am sure many others like me would greatly appreciate it!! thanks again dev

Im with you.

Although I am satisfied with the performance of the phone as a whole, I would live to get rid of the blur blue and grey and have the stock feel - even if it was only cosmetic for the time being.

The only thing I would definitely keep is the motor keyboard. It really is the best I've used on an android phone so far.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App

3UR0TR45H

Jun 29, 2011
Bellingham
Works great so far and took my custom themes no problem. I do have a bit of a problem now because the calendar app is gone and I ran my biz out of out. Anyone have a good calendar app out there?

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

3UR0TR45H

Jun 29, 2011
Bellingham
Got pure calendar but I thinks something on the system level ia missing. Also lost half my contacts because Verizon backup is missing. Ended up restoring. This rom is awesome but I'm not not quite set up for it yet.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Due to recent controversy of this ROM, I have decided to halt development until I get the more important things settled in my life. Mostly finishing up with summer semester. Id also like to give "due" credit to the original devs of tell chinese ROM. I did use their ROM as a base for initial quick release to please X2 users. The files were highly modified to meet our needs, which indeed entitles it to my custom work... but to clear any possible arguments, I'm posting this so it is the first thing you read, and all is fully understood! As for future releases of minimalX, there is not a single trace of the Chinese ROM remaining. After the initial release, I did a system dump and started from scratch, just keeping the ideas of the original ROM and copying over modifications I had made. I hope this clears everything up.

Thanks to all those who have supported my development. This is a little ridiculous that I am having to do this, but I hope this nullifies any arguments of those who are not contributing to X2 development.

Release version GAMMA 3.0 finally released! See below for download. Sorry, I don't have to release details just yet. Edit: Removed for modifications. It didn't seen compatible with others devices.

Droid X2

Minimal X

screen201107182252.png
    screen201107182253.png
    screen201107182301.png
    screen201107182300.png
    screen201107182315.png

*Disclaimer* This is a beta build of this ROM. It is mostly stable, but hasn't been thoroughly tested by anyone but myself. I decided to release it publicly due to the lack of current ROMs for users to flash. I expect general feedback based up what is currently in the ROM and what I can do to improve it. For legal reasons, flashing this ROM is based on your own decision, if it causes any mishap with your phone, feel free to message me and I will work with you to fix it, but I am in no way responsible for anything you do.

Not a whole lot of time to type this up -- I plan on editing when I have more time and as the build progresses.

This ROM is mostly debloated. Some bloat is left for general function of the phone. I tried to leave any bloat application that applies function to the phone that is otherwise inaccessible. This makes it an awesome base ROM for anyone who wishes to develop.

There are also many edits to system files such as the build.prop, apks, framework, etc. These edits are mostly performance based enhancements, but there are some visual changes as well. I plan on continuing the theme on this ROM based on user input. I may also consider converting back to stock theme and allowing flashable themes for those who wish to have more options. Themes that have been previously created for the Droid X2 (so far, I believe there are a total of three posted at XDA) should be flashable over top of this ROM, but I am making no guarantees. Also added is a sleep mode (accessed by holding power) which lowers power consumption, and turns off wireless signal -- The device is able to be accessed again by holding power. In general, it allows for maximum battery conservation compared to turning off the device.

TLDR;
    • Bloat removed
    • System edits
    • Framework edits
    • Much more...

In future updates, I plan on doing what you, the consumer, wants to happen. Firstly, I plan on cooking SuperCharger into the ROM. And hopefully, in the near future, I can figure out how to overclock this beast.

As for performance, this ROM runs great. I average around 3000 in Quadrant and in AnTuTu Benchmark, I average around 4750.

This ROM is optimized for performance, but doesn't lack on functionality. I hope you all can find great use of it and enjoy the work I have done.

Instructions:
    1. Gain SuperUser access by rooting your device via Gingerbreak.apk
    2. Install recovery
    3. Move ROM (.zip) to external SD card
    4. Boot into Recovery using the APK
    5. [optional] Clear Data/ Factory Reset
    6. [optional] Clear Cache
    7. Choose Install .zip from SD
    8. Choose SD card
    9. Navigate to the ROM (.zip)
    10. Confirm install
    11. Reboot once installation is complete
    12. When rom boots, be sure to firstly make your default keyboard something other than "Moto input method" (explained later)
    13. Enjoy!
    I plan on adding more detailed instructions at a later date...

Known issues:
    • User must change keyboard away from "Moto input method." This keyboard was removed from the build, but hasn't had all traces cleared yet. It will not appear due to most of the structure and APK being removed.
    • Charging battery animation is default
    • Browser search function is faulty. To fix, please install Google Search from the Android Market.

Please let me know of any additional issues you run into!!!

Otherwise, enjoy your DROID X2!

Beta 2.0 (Mirror 1)
    Beta 2.0 (Mirror 2)

NEWEST RELEASE:

GAMMA 3.0 (temp removed)

Lastly, I develop for fun, but if you feel it necessary, donate to the cause.
    Actually, we could make this into a fun drinking game. My 21st birthday is August 1st. I plan on getting $**t housed all day and all that weekend. If you donate, before August 6th, your donation funds will go strictly towards alcohol. If you donate, feel free to message me with what you wish for me to purchase with that given cash (note: if you want something specific, please donate that specific amount, otherwise, it'll probably go towards some PBR). I'll try to take pictures of the drinks before and after (depending on how wasted I am) and I'll message those who donated, or anyone who requests, with what kind of damage was done. Haha, I have some experience under my belt, so, don't take it easy. This should be fun.

Happy Android-ing to everyone!

May the Droid X2 prosper!

This post is not subject to perfect grammar; no one really cares. Enjoy the ROM!
    For those smartasses who don't believe I'll be "returning from the lake," here I am, so feel free to talk your **** now. As for the ROM, I have compiled and edited each bit myself. Some of the files -- very few -- are files from the chinese ROM, but nearly every single one of them have been edited. I did this to save the time of doing a complete system dump and to get quick release to suppress the *****ing of the X2 being a failure of a product. I've been editing and adding additional files over time, while also swapping out files. If you look at the original chinese ROM, which is posted, and compare it to this, you will see very little similarities... So, I dare you to look at them both. Actually, also, flash the chinese ROM and have fun with it. Maybe you will realize that I have designed this ROM. The new update for MinimalX is 100% edited by me. None of the chinese files remain, as they were simply placeholders in the first release. Anything that effects your system, your system performance, and the way this is flashed was created by me.

Really, I don't care anymore. I have been busting my balls to release this next update for everyone -- I've had to SBF my phone at least 20 times in the past week because I'm having a lot of conflict with 2nd init, recovery, baked supercharge, overclock, overlapping code, and compatibility of AOSP.

As for when the update is released, well, due to this, I've stopped development on it for at least this week. I've got more important things to worry about than an accusing, disrespectful, and ungrateful community.

I have all intentions on continuing to develop and post the ROM here. But really, if this is going to be a problem, I would prefer Clown just close this thread and I will keep my development to a private community with controlled access.

EDIT: Hell with it, I will be releasing tonight just to disprove anyone.
    Congratulations on the release of the first custom rom for DX2!
    Thread closed by OP request.