[HOWTO] Install Google SDK and ADB drivers in Windows 7

Search This thread

TECK

Axivo Developer
Jul 6, 2011
Montreal
www.axivo.com
I'm posting this guide because my Galaxy Nexus I9250 I purchased from Google Play would not to recognize in any way, shape or form the official Google drivers provided into Android SDK. Obviously, if you installed any Samsung drivers, you will have to uninstall them. Personally, I always connect the device to my PC and let Windows Update find the best driver. In this way, the basic Windows interface is handled by Microsoft drivers:

IMG_12082012_204715.png

Google SDK 64bits Setup
This is a quick howto for those who actually want to setup their SDK properly in Windows 7 64bits. I saw a lot of craziness on the Internet so I wanted to share how I set a proper 64bits development environment.

Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/ (installer_r21-windows.exe)
Java JDK: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/ (jdk-7u5-windows-x64.exe)
Eclipse Classic: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ (eclipse-SDK-4.2-win32-x86_64.zip)

First, download the 64bits software versions, not 32bits. Android SDK is the only 32bits package but it will work fine with 64bits development tools, if you know what you are doing. Obviously, if you are on a 32bits OS download the 32bits software versions. We are discussing a 64bits setup, so let's move on.

Install Java JDK and only if you run a 64bits OS, set a JAVA_HOME variable with value "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jdk1.7.0_05" into Environment Variables (adjust the value with whatever version you downloaded):

IMG_13082012_235225.png

Reboot your PC to enable all the settings done above.
Next, install Android SDK. You only need to download Android SDK Tools, Android SDK Platform-tools and Google USB Driver, if you just want to play with the phone. If you plan to develop apps, install also the API of your choice and Eclipse Classic (yes, that is the recommended version by Google devs).

To make available everywhere your platform tools (adb, fastboot, etc.), add your platform-tools directory to Path:

IMG_14082012_000018.png

Myself, I installed the SDK in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\sdk" directory, so my path looks like:
Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Android\sdk\platform-tools
Technically, you need to add the ";%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Android\sdk\platform-tools" location at the end of your current path.

Now, on with the fun part. There are 2 drivers needed for Google Nexus, the Composite ADB and Bootloader (Android 1.0).

Android Composite ADB Interface Driver
First, enable USB Debugging in your phone:

Screenshot_2012-08-12-21-33-04.png

Plug your USB cable, you will notice in Device Manager the failed driver notice:

IMG_12082012_204934.png

Right-click on it and select "Update Driver Software...", then "Browse my computer for driver software". Don't bother browsing to your ADB USB driver location, it will not install the proper driver. Instead, click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" button:

IMG_12082012_205120.png

Make sure "Show All Devices" is selected and click on Next button:

IMG_12082012_210911.png

With the list of devices displayed, click on Have Disk button:

IMG_12082012_211107.png

Browse to your Google Driver location, mines is set in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\sdk\extras\google\usb_driver":

IMG_12082012_211204.png

Pick the "Android Composite ADB Interface" driver and click on Next button:

IMG_12082012_211241.png

You will be asked to accept the driver installation, do it and be done with this part of drivers setup:

IMG_12082012_211307.png

Android Bootloader Interface Driver
Make sure USB Debugging is still enabled in your phone. With the USB cable connected, manually boot into Bootloader mode by powering down your phone and restarting it with all 3 buttons pressed (Volume Up + Volume Down + Power). You will notice in Device Manager the new unrecognized Android 1.0 device. Follow the same steps explained above and when you reach the driver selection, choose "Android Bootloader Interface":

IMG_12082012_212807.png

To test the setup, run few basic commands:
Code:
adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot reboot

IMG_14082012_001522.png

You are done, enjoy the official USB drivers from Google.

Last edited:

TECK

Axivo Developer
Jul 6, 2011
Montreal
www.axivo.com
Quick Root Command references

Nexus Images: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#mysid
CWM: http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager/
Superuser: http://hosted.androidsu.com/superuser/
SuperSU: http://download.chainfire.eu/205/SuperSU/

Root Device
1) Unlock the bootloader (if locked):
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock

2) Install Supersuer + Root (match the file names with the ones downloaded):
Code:
adb push Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip /sdcard/
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-6.0.1.0-maguro.img

Flash Superuser: On device, select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard" and select "Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip". Confirm install, then "+++++Go Back+++++" and "reboot system now".

3) Lock the bootloader (optional):
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock

Stock Device
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock

2) Install the image files (match the file names with the ones downloaded).
Commands are listed inside flash-all.sh shell script, validate them:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primelc03.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxlf1.img
fastboot -w update image-takju-jro03c.zip

3) Lock the bootloader:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock

Backup Device
Code:
adb backup -apk -shared -all -f backup.ab

Last edited:

ac3theone

Jan 26, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Nexus Images: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Root Device
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Flash Superuser: On device, select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard" and select "Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip". Confirm install, then "+++++Go Back+++++" and "reboot system now".

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock

Stock Device
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock

Code:

3) Lock the bootloader:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock

This is nice I wish this was around 2 weeks earlier when I got this phone this would have made setting up a lot easier. This deserves to be sticky

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TECK

Axivo Developer
Jul 6, 2011
Montreal
www.axivo.com
I added also a quick Howto for the Android SDK setup in Windows 64bits. Lots of crazy info out there on the Internet so I said might as well post it so others can do it right in their computers.

Reactions: ruggaduck

d.cortez

Dec 30, 2005
north texas
Google Pixel Fold
I added also a quick Howto for the Android SDK setup in Windows 64bits. Lots of crazy info out there on the Internet so I said might as well post it so others can do it right in their computers.
glad i came across this post. I'm going to use your instructions to return my daughter's GSM Galaxy Nexus to stock JB so we can determine if the proximity sensor is bad or if it's due to the other JB ROMs i've put on her phone. right now, the proximity sensor does not turn the screen off when she places the phone to her ear during phone calls.

question: i prefer not to overwrite the CWM recovery, so i'm planning to remove the recovery.img from the image-yakju-jro03c.zip file before updating via fastboot. next i'll reboot to recovery and flash the superuser zip file to gain ROOT access. my question is this: will removing the recovery img cause the update via fastboot to fail? thanks to anyone who replies to my question.

Last edited:

TECK

Axivo Developer
Jul 6, 2011
Montreal
www.axivo.com
I would simply flash the entire stock image without skipping any files. Then temporarily flash back the CWM, just to keep the phone stock.
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
This will not write CWM to the phone, but rather use it once to bypass the stock recovery. Personally, I'm only interested to root the device and will not install custom ROM's. But even if you do install custom ROM's, you rarely need CWM... and if you do, you will work near your computer where you have access to adb.

Last edited:

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
This is a splendid guide!
Absolutely what all new Androiders need.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

slivingston

Jun 29, 2012
Did everything you said and got to the point where I was testing those commands, and it says devices attached but my device isnt listed. I was still in boootloader and fastboot usb was attached. is that correct? any ideas? I do have CM9 installed and there are plenty of options regarding root access.

Last edited:

bozint

May 20, 2012
Skopje
Code:
adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot reboot

Mate, when I type "adb devices" I am getting an error saying that "'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

I installed Android SDK and Java SE JDK and it all went well. I installed the drivers and when in fastboot mode, I get "Samsung Galaxy Nexus BootLoader Interface" in Device Manager, which I think is what I should be getting.

Would you know what is it that I am missing? Could it be something that I haven't installed from the Android SDK? Thanks again for the tutorial.

geoffcorey

Apr 24, 2010
You need to change to the directory in which you installed the SDK
So like:
cd <insert directory here and remove the arrow brackets>

Reactions: bozint

bozint

May 20, 2012
Skopje
So like:

I'll try that, thanks.

His screenshot shows that he is not in the SDK installed folder though.
IMG_14082012_001522.png

My phone was in fastboot mode when I tried that. I hope that's the correct mode.

One more thing, when I choose go to Recovery in fastboot, the red triangle comes up, but Volume Up + Power doesn't do anything and I have to take out the battery in order to reboot.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
I'll try that, thanks.

His screenshot shows that he is not in the SDK installed folder though.
IMG_14082012_001522.png

My phone was in fastboot mode when I tried that. I hope that's the correct mode.
That is because you missed this part:
[snip]

To make available everywhere your platform tools (adb, fastboot, etc.), add your platform-tools directory to Path:

IMG_14082012_000018.png

Myself, I installed the SDK in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\sdk" directory, so my path looks like:
Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Android\sdk\platform-tools
Technically, you need to add the ";%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Android\sdk\platform-tools" location at the end of your current path.

One more thing, when I choose go to Recovery in fastboot, the red triangle comes up, but Volume Up + Power doesn't do anything and I have to take out the battery in order to reboot.
What you are seeing is the main screen for the stock recovery. To access the menu from that screen, hold power and press volume up.

Reactions: bozint

bozint

May 20, 2012
Skopje
That is because you missed this part
I did add a line in the Environment Variables, I installed the Android SDK in the root of "C" though (C:\!Android\.....). It might be the issue, and I will use default path after I uninstall it and then install it again. I also added the Java SE in the Environment Variables.

What you are seeing is the main screen for the stock recovery. To access the menu from that screen, hold power and press volume up.
Thanks for this, I got into now. I guess all the time I was holding vol.up and then power.

I am on stock now, so in order to root, should I be following the following procedure?

Stock Device

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock

Code:

3) Lock the bootloader:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock

My baseband is XXLF1, and the build is JRO03C.I9250WLH2, if this helps in any way.

Thanks for the comment guys, much appreciated.
====================================================

EDIT: @efrant, I just checked your guide on rooting without unlocking the bootloader, so should I fail with the backup you also referenced in you guide, I will give it a try. The phone is rather new though, so even if I lose some apps it's not that big a deal.

Last edited:

bozint

May 20, 2012
Skopje
I did add a line in the Environment Variables, I installed the Android SDK in the root of "C" though (C:\!Android\.....).

So the path was not the issue. Originally I had this in Path in the Environment Variables: "....;%!Android%\Google_Dev\android-sdk\platform-tools" and adb did not work unless I went directly inside the platform-tools folder in command prompt.

I then tried to add additional line in Environment Variables for the whole path, without the % symbol (C:\!Android\Google_Dev\android-sdk\platform-tools). And it worked, now adb lists the device at any time and location.

The final line in Path looks like this: ....bunch of lines......;%!Android%\Google_Dev\android-sdk\platform-tools;C:\!Android\Google_Dev\android-sdk\platform-tools

TECK

Axivo Developer
Jul 6, 2011
Montreal
www.axivo.com
Mate, when I type "adb devices" I am getting an error saying that "'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

If you add adb to the Windows path, you will not get this error. I explained into tutorial what to do.
Edit: Never mind, efrant explained well what to do. :)

Last edited:

bozint

May 20, 2012
Skopje
I think you are confusing a few things. Unlocking the bootloader is not the same as getting root. You should have a look at the "basics" link in my signature.
I got it rooted now, but I need to do some additional reading yes. I'll read the guide and hopefully things will be more clear. Thanks guys.

Logic_

Aug 8, 2010
Antwerp
Does anyone have a separate link to the ADB drivers for windows? I need this pc to recognize my N7 in bootloader etc but I don't want to go through the whole Java SDK etc hassle to get ADB just to get the drivers, it's not my pc.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm posting this guide because my Galaxy Nexus I9250 I purchased from Google Play would not to recognize in any way, shape or form the official Google drivers provided into Android SDK. Obviously, if you installed any Samsung drivers, you will have to uninstall them. Personally, I always connect the device to my PC and let Windows Update find the best driver. In this way, the basic Windows interface is handled by Microsoft drivers:

IMG_12082012_204715.png

Google SDK 64bits Setup
    This is a quick howto for those who actually want to setup their SDK properly in Windows 7 64bits. I saw a lot of craziness on the Internet so I wanted to share how I set a proper 64bits development environment.

Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/ (installer_r21-windows.exe)
    Java JDK: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/ (jdk-7u5-windows-x64.exe)
    Eclipse Classic: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ (eclipse-SDK-4.2-win32-x86_64.zip)

First, download the 64bits software versions, not 32bits. Android SDK is the only 32bits package but it will work fine with 64bits development tools, if you know what you are doing. Obviously, if you are on a 32bits OS download the 32bits software versions. We are discussing a 64bits setup, so let's move on.

Install Java JDK and only if you run a 64bits OS, set a JAVA_HOME variable with value "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jdk1.7.0_05" into Environment Variables (adjust the value with whatever version you downloaded):

IMG_13082012_235225.png

Next, install Android SDK. You only need to download Android SDK Tools, Android SDK Platform-tools and Google USB Driver, if you just want to play with the phone. If you plan to develop apps, install also the API of your choice and Eclipse Classic (yes, that is the recommended version by Google devs).

IMG_14082012_000018.png

Code:

Now, on with the fun part. There are 2 drivers needed for Google Nexus, the Composite ADB and Bootloader (Android 1.0).

Android Composite ADB Interface Driver
    First, enable USB Debugging in your phone:

Screenshot_2012-08-12-21-33-04.png

Plug your USB cable, you will notice in Device Manager the failed driver notice:

IMG_12082012_204934.png

Right-click on it and select "Update Driver Software...", then "Browse my computer for driver software". Don't bother browsing to your ADB USB driver location, it will not install the proper driver. Instead, click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" button:

IMG_12082012_205120.png

Make sure "Show All Devices" is selected and click on Next button:

IMG_12082012_210911.png

With the list of devices displayed, click on Have Disk button:

IMG_12082012_211107.png

Browse to your Google Driver location, mines is set in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\sdk\extras\google\usb_driver":

IMG_12082012_211204.png

Pick the "Android Composite ADB Interface" driver and click on Next button:

IMG_12082012_211241.png

You will be asked to accept the driver installation, do it and be done with this part of drivers setup:

IMG_12082012_211307.png

Android Bootloader Interface Driver
    Make sure USB Debugging is still enabled in your phone. With the USB cable connected, manually boot into Bootloader mode by powering down your phone and restarting it with all 3 buttons pressed (Volume Up + Volume Down + Power). You will notice in Device Manager the new unrecognized Android 1.0 device. Follow the same steps explained above and when you reach the driver selection, choose "Android Bootloader Interface":

IMG_12082012_212807.png

Code:
    adb devices
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot reboot

IMG_14082012_001522.png

You are done, enjoy the official USB drivers from Google.
    Quick Root Command references

Nexus Images: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#mysid
    SuperSU: http://download.chainfire.eu/205/SuperSU/

Root Device
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem lock

Stock Device
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

3) Lock the bootloader:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem lock

Backup Device
    Code:
    adb backup -apk -shared -all -f backup.ab
    I would simply flash the entire stock image without skipping any files. Then temporarily flash back the CWM, just to keep the phone stock.
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    This will not write CWM to the phone, but rather use it once to bypass the stock recovery. Personally, I'm only interested to root the device and will not install custom ROM's. But even if you do install custom ROM's, you rarely need CWM... and if you do, you will work near your computer where you have access to adb.
    So like: