▐ 3.9.2011▐ ★UPDATED★Awesome WP7&WP7.5 Tips&Tricks★▐ >>>ALL NEW TIPS FOR MANGO!!<<<

Search This thread

seanyuan62

Oct 2, 2010
▐ 3.9.2011▐ ★UPDATED★Awesome WP7&WP7.5 Tips&Tricks★▐ >>>ALL NEW TIPS FOR MANGO!!<<<

I just wanted to post a couple of helpful tips&tricks for those who are new to the WP7 OS. If I helped please "donate" your time by clicking the thanks button!:D

Update: All new tips&tricks that I have found playing around on Mango Beta. Have fun!

hd2-mango.jpg

Awesome Windows 7.5 Tips&Tricks

Custom Ringtones

1. Copy MP3 or WMA to Zune Collection. Choose Edit, and type in manually under Genre "Ringtone". The song must be less than 40 seconds and smaller than 1MB.

2. Go to Settings -> Ringtones + Sounds, tap Ringtone. Your custom ringtone will appear under a new tree called "Custom", above "Windows Phone"

Note that it is identified by the filename, rather than the track title.

Also, you can tap and HOLD a ringtone, and Delete will be offered (but only on the Custom ones; preloaded ones grey out delete).

Windows Live Messenger

Pick Messaging, slide right to Online. Set Chat Status (icon at bottom), hit +, and send a message to any Messenger contact. And/or if anyone sends you an MSN, you get a ding just like a SMS, and it appears under Messaging.

Mango automatically made my Windows Live account that my phone is registered under, which is also my Messenger account, work. Others have noted that it's not possible to have a second Messenger account -- only your PRIMARY Windows Live account is linked to Messenger.

Facebook chat is set up also from Messaging -> Online. Some people have had trouble with this... read down to see some possible solutions.

Voice Activated SMS/Messaging

To allow Voice recognition from Messaging (like SMS, Messenger) while on Carrier Data, go to Settings -> Speech and check Enable Speech Recognition over Network.

Put on a headset; leave your phone on the home screen. When someone sends you a Messenger, it announces that the person has sent you a message, Read It or Ignore. If you say, "Read it", the phone reads the message. You then have an opportunity to reply via speech!

Visual Voicemail

Evidently, this is in Settings -> Phone (or Phone app, slide up, call settings). But it doesn't show up for everyone -- it's carrier dependent (doesn't show up for Telus phone on Fido for me).

Exchange/Gmail Server Search

To search the server for older (for example, Exchange) go to Outlook, click the on-screen search button, make a search. At the bottom of the results, tap "search more in Outlook". When the server search is done, at the bottom of the results, you'll see "get more results" and "search all folders". Woohoo!

Bing Visual Search -- and OCR!

Tap Bing key. Click eyeball. You can snap QR codes, Microsoft codes, or TEXT. If you snap text, it will then detect it, and you can translate it (for example, from French to English). But as someone mentioned, you can translate from English to English... and the results come as text that you can then Copy and Paste! Quick and easy cloud OCR that you have to see to believe.

Skydrive, Office

Go to Office. Slide over to Locations and SkyDrive. You can see any of the documents on your SkyDrive, and edit things like Word. It's perfect.

Notes (OneNote, synchronized with SkyDrive and your Desktop OneNote as long as you're saving to Web) is really slick. Office 365 and SharePoint are under Locations.

Easy Ones

Music Controls - This one's easy. Play a song, pause it. Hit lock key. Controls are on the wallpaper. Unlock, hit volume keys -- Controls appear.

Multitasking - Hold down Back button. It's a beautiful implementation. To remove a task from the list, pick it, then hit back button once.

Outlook Threads - Just tap a conversation thread to expand it.

Outlook Account Linking - Outlook -> ... -> Link Inboxes

App Grouping - tap the letters above the groups of apps, just like the phone book (tapping "a" gets you all the letters, tapping "s" jumps to Settings)

App Find - tap magnifying glass on apps list

IE9 -- OMG. Best Mobile Browser Ever. 'nuff said. But is it possible to turn off Address Bar in Landscape? Takes up lots of space.

People/Groups - Tap People hub, tap Family or +. You can make your own Groups, and then SMS or email everyone in the group that has SMS or email. Or quickly call them, since they get big tiles.

People/History - Tap a contact in the People hub, slide to the right, and see History. It shows call/messaging history, and "search Outlook" at the bottom.

UPDATE:
======
To make Traffic work, just set region/location to English (United States).

10 Awesome Windows 7 Tips&Tricks

1. Using the Windows Phone 7 voice controls
Press and hold the Windows key at the bottom of your screen and you can start talking to your phone. Try saying "Open Calendar", to see what we mean.

2. Adding apps to the Start screen
When you are in the long applications list on your phone pressing on an icon and holding brings up a contextual menu that gives you a series of options, one of which is "pin to start". Press on this option and the app will be shown on the Start screen.

3. Add people to the start page
No it's not just about adding apps to the start page, but people too. Find them in your contacts book, click on the "pin" icon, and they'll be added to your Start page so you can speed dial them whenever you need.

4. Moving your tiles around
Adding a new app or tile to the Start screen will place it right at the bottom. If you want it to be elsewhere, press and hold on the tile in question and then you are free to move it up and down and rearrange your tiles to best suit your needs.

5. Removing apps from the Start screen
You like the app, but you don't really want it on your Start screen anymore. No worries. Hold your finger on the tile in question for a couple of seconds and when it highlights press the no pin icon in the top right-hand corner.

6. Uninstalling apps
You've tried it and you don't like it. No problem. Head over to the menu list and press down on the app in question until you get the contextual menu. Select uninstall and you're done.

7. Rating and reviewing apps
You really love the new app you've downloaded, so much so that you want to rate and review it so anyone else interested knows whether it's any good or not. With Windows Phone 7 you don't have to wait until you delete it to rate it, you can rate and review it at any time. Press and hold down on the app in question until that contextual menu appears and then choose "Rate and review". It will bring up another page allowing you to have your say and give it a rating out of five. Easy peasy.

8. How to change the theme
If you've got your Windows Phone 7 phone from Vodafone the theme is going to be all red, O2 is dishing out blue themes and Orange, orange ones. An all red themed phone might be a bit much (we hear you), but fret not as you can change the colour of the tiles and other features in the Setting area. Zip on over to the menu list, select Settings, and then Theme. Here you can choose the colour of the background and the accent colour. Background options are "Black" or "White" while you'll get nine accent colours to pick from. Lime, anyone?
-Creating custom themes using an XAP: Customizable Windows Phone 7 Accents
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914840

-Changing the wallpaper is now possible but only to a color using: Custom WP7 Theme with Wallpaper Ability
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=942767

9. Swipe to the left
Windows Phone 7 is built around the idea of panoramic tiles that you swipe to reveal more content off screen. It's always worth seeing if you can swipe to the left as there might be more stuff waiting to be revealed.

10. What are the dots?
Whenever you see three dots at the bottom of the screen, that's a menu for more options. In photo playback for example, it will give you the options to delete the image or perform a quick upload.

72 Windows Phone 7 tips and tricks here:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3641...s-phone-7-tips

For those who need access to a US market, or wherever...
1st, when you link your live account to the phone, you'll automatically get an e-mail from Microsoft phone 7 in your inbox.
this had some useful links in it. for example, I didn't download the full zune package, but another version witch works as well and is quite a bit smaller.

2nd, create an extra live account with false location settings, i set mine on Beverly hills, California, so you can access marketplace, xbox live etc.
(you can add an other account for your e-mail settings etc)

Because the HD2 has different hardware keys than the WP7, the home key for the HD2 is the search button for Windows Phones. Depending on where you are, pressing the home button will give you different search results.

HOMESCREEN:
Will open BING-search(Many custom WP7 ROM's have changed default search to Google).
MUSIC&VIDEOS:
Enables search for videos, music etc.
MARKETPLACE:
Searches for Music and Applications available for purchase in the Market

Transparent Lockscreen Wallpaper

This is the link to the wallpaper:
http://phone7.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/clawpaper.png

Simply send yourself an email with the image attached, then open the email on your phone and save the image. When you view the image, you have an option of setting it as your wallpaper(The Zune software only seems to sync JPEG’s)

Click on the PNG attachment and then wait a few moments. Once the ‘cancel’ button next the attachment disappears, click again. This should open it in the picture viewer with the option to set as wallpaper.

Until the lock screen has started any animation, the home screen will appear black. Presumably this is because the home screen isn’t loaded until the lock screen has been touched, which makes sense. Secondly, it doesn’t work if you have a password on the lock screen. Having a password is obviously a good idea, so it’s a shame this doesn’t work with the password.

A useful application is Jivtech's Lockscreen Text App. Head on over to the site for more info about an application that allows you to quickly and easily add text to your lockscreen wallpaper

http://www.jivtech.com/lockscreentext.aspx

Extra tips from users:

Screen Locked...received a message...tap on the message preview on the top of the lock screen and then unlock the screen. Phone will unlock directly to your message screen.
Long press on Send-key activates the camera from sleep mode. Even when the phone is password locked!
You can record a phone conversation using the video recording mode. Simply make a phone call and hold the camera button to record the entire phone conversation and video. Make sure you put on Speaker Phone Mode.

Camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u-2MBYYsmw

Dark Side of Focus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXS4jrxeI0k
There is search for Marketplace...goto the market place and hit the search button...the search button works as a contextual search based on the app or hub you are in...its awesome and well thought :)

1. Connect to Wifi
2. Select Settings
3. Select Wifi
4. Tap the connected WIFI network for few seconds.
5. Select Edit
6. Proxy ON
7. Type your proxy server and port
8. Save and exit you are done :)

Have fun!
If I helped please hit the Thanks button! :)

Last edited:

arkatis

Dec 24, 2008
Cyprus-Nicosia
Also.....

1) MULTITASKING (OR LET ME CALL IT "BACK IN TIME")

When you press the back button when on home screen it goes to all you recent apps you opened or edited before....Keep pressing the back button will go further more back! I Think this is because when i wanted to exit an app i pressed the start button(to go to Home screen instantly) and not the back button; so it stays in memory/or recording your steps you did before!

2) CHANGING PICTURES APP BACKGROUND:

When you go to Pictures you can change the Background to your likes using your images stored into phone... Just Hold your finger on the screen and a window will pop up... it says Change Background and "Change it for me" (automatic Randomly change)..Press change my background and pick your favorite photo/image.... Now it should change in the application and when you go to Home Screen you can also see this image on the Pictures tab....Love it!!!!!!!!!!

3) Battery and signal.

When on Home screen or whenever screen you are just slide down your finger starting from the Top of the screen...It should slide down the battery,signal,wifi icons e,t,c!

Last edited:
Reactions: jos64 and jenzy1985

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
More WP7 tips .

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36413/72-windows-phone-7-tips

Top 10 are:

Press and hold the Windows key at the bottom of your screen and you can start talking to your phone. Try saying "Open Calendar", to see what we mean.

When you are in the long applications list on your phone pressing on an icon and holding brings up a contextual menu that gives you a series of options, one of which is "pin to start". Press on this option and the app will be shown on the Start screen.

No it's not just about adding apps to the start page, but people too. Find them in your contacts book, click on the "pin" icon, and they'll be added to your Start page so you can speed dial them whenever you need.

Adding a new app or tile to the Start screen will place it right at the bottom. If you want it to be elsewhere, press and hold on the tile in question and then you are free to move it up and down and rearrange your tiles to best suit your needs.

You like the app, but you don't really want it on your Start screen anymore. No worries. Hold your finger on the tile in question for a couple of seconds and when it highlights press the no pin icon in the top right-hand corner.

6. Uninstalling apps
You've tried it and you don't like it. No problem. Head over to the menu list and press down on the app in question until you get the contextual menu. Select uninstall and you're done.

You really love the new app you've downloaded, so much so that you want to rate and review it so anyone else interested knows whether it's any good or not. With Windows Phone 7 you don't have to wait until you delete it to rate it, you can rate and review it at any time. Press and hold down on the app in question until that contextual menu appears and then choose "Rate and review". It will bring up another page allowing you to have your say and give it a rating out of five. Easy peasy.

If you've got your Windows Phone 7 phone from Vodafone the theme is going to be all red, O2 is dishing out blue themes and Orange, orange ones. An all red themed phone might be a bit much (we hear you), but fret not as you can change the colour of the tiles and other features in the Setting area. Zip on over to the menu list, select Settings, and then Theme. Here you can choose the colour of the background and the accent colour. Background options are "Black" or "White" while you'll get nine accent colours to pick from. Lime, anyone?

9. Swipe to the left
Windows Phone 7 is built around the idea of panoramic tiles that you swipe to reveal more content off screen. It's always worth seeing if you can swipe to the left as there might be more stuff waiting to be revealed.

10. What are the dots?
Whenever you see three dots at the bottom of the screen, that's a menu for more options. In photo playback for example, it will give you the options to delete the image or perform a quick upload.

I have some few questions:

- How to quickly switch the phone to Silent mode/Vibrate, etc?
Press the volume button on the side and change from Ring to Vibrate and vicer versa
- How to quickly stop the audioplayer playing when you are somewhere else in the menu ?
Press volume button and audioplayer should show in a bar at the top and you can pause the song
- Why some album cover arts are wrong, or black in Zune?
Don't know, haven't noticed that yet
- Is there a way to change the music/audio settings (equalizer, bass, treble ?)
Download HTC App Sound Enhancer, allows some changes to be made.
thanks

How to have multi-language dictionaries [WP7 autocorrects my English words]

Select multiple keyboard languages in the settings. When done so, your virtual keyboard will show a regional button right of the spacebar. Changing keyboard layout will change the dictionary.

cut down Facebook contacts.

Found out how to cut down on the number of Facebook contacts:

From the microsoft website

By default, all of your Facebook friends appear as contacts on your phone. If you have lots of Facebook friends showing up in your contacts list, you can choose to only show friends who are already contacts on your phone. (So, if a Facebook friend is also a contact in Windows Live or Google, their Facebook information will still show up in your contacts list. All other friends will be hidden from the list.)

1 From Start, flick left to the Applications list and then press Settings.

2 Press Applications and then press People.

3 Under Include Facebook friends as contacts, press Only add Facebook information to existing contacts to filter out Facebook friends who don't already have a contact card on your phone.

Note

This option only filters Facebook friends from your contacts list in People. It doesn't change whose social updates you'll see in What's new.
Contacts from SIM
Unfortunately it's not simple. This is how I did it...

I synced my HD2 phone with Outlook, then downloaded the Hotmail Outlook Connector which allowed me to sign into my Windows Live Hotmail account through Outlook then Outlook shows me two accounts - my old ActiveSync Local account and my Windows Live Hotmail account and it's just then a simple case of clicking and dragging from one to the other. The Windows Phone 7 will then just sync the changes automatically from your Windows Live account.

or you can look here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/people/import-contacts-from-my-old-phone.aspx

Hope this helps.

contacts from Outlook to my phone.

I managed to successfully transfer my contacts from Outlook to my phone. As advised I downloaded Outlook Hotmail Connector from here and installed it.

It didn't make any noticeable changes in Outlook.
I then set up my Hotmail account in Outlook which synced with all my existing Hotmail contacts (all 10 of them!)

I then proceeded to copy all my Outlook contacts to my Hotmail contacts in Outlook and then synced the Mozart with my Windows Live ID (ie my Hotmail) and all the Contacts that I copied synced across as well!

Long and inconvenient for my liking, but saves having to enter them all individually one by one.

I initially thought it didn't work, because when I logged into my Hotmail on the web, it doesn't update the Contacts on there, but after syncing with my phone, it was fine.

I'm now going to try the same for the Calender as well. EDIT: Works for Calender as well!

Hope that helps.

FM Radio.
The HD7 DOES have FM Radio it can be found under the Music & Video Hub

:)

Pictures uploading.
This is sort of a tip... a tip-off to a cool feature...

When you are in the pictures gallery, if you upload a picture to a service like skydrive off of your phone then... it's 'up' loaded in the gallery if you zoom out.

WTFfU.jpg

I thought it was really simple but really awesome lol...

(It's not persistent though, only for that viewing of the gallery...)

pinning.
When pinning a page to your start screen in Internet Explorer:

Make sure you are zoomed in on a recognisable part of the page. The current zoom level of the page becomes the Tile snapshot image.

Tip is then: Zoom in on the page logo etc!

e.g. XDA:
KMDtD.jpg

change the picture on picture tile

To change the picture on the picture tile on Home page, Tap Pictures tile, scroll to Pictures hub then hold your finger somewhere above the pics & a context menu will appear. Select 'Change background' & then select the pic you want to use. This changes the tile & the pic is also used as the background for the Pictures hub. Cool eh!!! :cool:

Transparent Lockscreen

Handy Tip #1: long hold the Start button to activate voice recognition (eg "open calendar")

Handy Tip #2: the traditional notification bar (signal strength, 3G, WiFi status etc) is mostly hidden by default unless something changes. Tap near the top of the screen to temporarily show all this information (for example, if you want to make sure you're connected to WiFi before downloading an app or an update). On my HD7, the sweet spot seems to be the HTC logo at the top of the screen.

Handy Tip #3: To remove an app from your phone, press and hold on its icon in the app list and select uninstall. You can also rate a downloaded app for the marketplace here.

Handy Tip #4 (possibly only applies to O2 HD7 users, maybe only in Ireland): If Internet Explorer is having trouble loading particular websites (for example, imgur), add the apn "internet" in "mobile network" under settings.

pair with your PC.
Ok one more everyone should do...

Phone music & calls to PC Speakers

For me the headset & AV service work perfectly, straight away.

Turn on bluetooth, pair with your PC, and touch again to connect.

Apparently my old HTC Desire had these services (AV Source and Headset) but it always paired but didn't maintain a connection... no obvious reason, didn't bother to look up why lol.
I was just excited when as soon as I connected with my PC with WP7, the Headset service asked for permission and after that all phone audio came through!

Old news to some but it is really cool having your phone blast music through your PC speakers wirelessly ;) absolutely no effort or hassle at all!

Edit: Even before the phone has fully booted it connects to the PC :D you even hear the keypresses to unlock the phone... simple things lol.

Only Alarm sound.
I leave my phone on silent every night and the alarm still sounds fine in the morning. To put it on silent click the volume up/down button and press on the bell icon. It'll change to vibrate, but the alarm will still sound.

Email Signature.
Go to your email, go to settings then tick use an email signature and change it from 'Sent from my Windows Phone'

So I was in the same boat you are in. Nothing could read the card except for my Nokia n97 mini. It recognized the card as "locked" and prompted for a password. I bypassed the prompt and went to the file manager. From there it let me format the card and it is back to normal. See, Symbian is good for something after all!

PS: I tried the same process with an E71 and had the same successful results. All recent Symbian phones should work as it appears they can handle the encryption and password. The card is now happily back in my HTC EVO.

patrikbarden

Aug 6, 2008
Long press on Send-key activates the camera from sleep mode...

Long press on Send-key activates the camera from sleep mode. Even when the phone is password locked!

ceo4eva

Sep 30, 2008
Ellicott City
OnePlus 11
There was a segment about getting rid of most Facebook contacts, how about the contacts that come with the default email?

AKA the one you cant delete or change sync settings for.

battlekat1650

Jun 10, 2010
Importing SIM Contacts

You can import SIM contacts quickly and easily by:

1. Click on the "People" tile
  2. Now press and hold on the "People" title bar, above your contacts list
  3. Contextual menu will appear, hit settings button
  4. Hit the import SIM contacts button

Cheers!

Lifear

Jan 24, 2007
gray album art in zune: maybe the solution?

i have found something with my german HD7 device. I dont know if this is the solution for this problem but you could try it. Sometimes i have gray album art in the now playing screen on the phone,, but in the history and on the albums, the album art is visible. You have to look at Phone Seetings > Apps > Music and Videos > Connect with Zune enabled (you see the album art), disabled (the album art is grayed out).

But i have another problem: Sometimes i want to call someone, or someone wants to call me, i pick up the phone and can here the other part, but the other part could not hear me. the only solution i have found is it to restart the phone. i have this issue only if im directly under a cell tower. are anyone else with the same problem?

Reactions: niyazidk

pakure

Sep 22, 2009
HYDERABAD
to put phone in silent mode, disable vibration in settings,
then press volume keys, touch on ring bell icon to toggle to vibration mode.........since vibration is disabled, now phone is in full silence:p:p:D

sushovande

Nov 11, 2010
Shuffle a playlist

This one is really hard to find, and I was flummoxed till I found it in the help site.

To play all songs in the playlist in a random order, first start the playlist. Now look at the big "Now Playing" tile in Zune. Click it once. You will see three icons:
repeat, favorite and shuffle. Click the shuffle icon once so that it looks bright (not gray).

Reference: Music and Video FAQ

gbrayut

Aug 28, 2007
SLC, UT
Text editing: Tap and hold!

Took me a while to figure out you can tap and hold on any text box to get a cursor and then move the cursor to where you want to edit/change text. Searching around I could only find a few references (pocketnow com/windows-phone/selecting-multiple-lines-of-text-in-windows-phone-7) to this technique, so many users might not know about it yet. Some of the office apps have other techniques for selecting text on wp7 ( pocketnow com/windows-phone/selecting-multiple-lines-of-text-in-windows-phone-7)

Here is another good list of tips for windows phone 7: simplemobilereview com/10-tips-for-windows-phone-7/

Sorry... can't post links as a new users I guess....

Dec 6, 2010
1. TALKING TO YOUR PHONE

The Windows Phone 7 is the latest addition in smartphone platforms, so you can talk to it – yeah, literally. You can activate the device’s voice control mechanism by pressing and holding the Windows key at the bottom of your screen. Try saying ‘Open Calendar’ for example, it’ll hear you.

Reactions: jenzy1985 and Mydde

benjammin

Nov 29, 2006
Utah
Everyone may know this, but I didn't and was excited when i found out: in the calculator app, the functions change depending on the phone orientation. There's a built-in Dec, bin, hex, etc calculator. Love it!

bakskj

Dec 1, 2009
I added a second live account located in the US, but still marketplace is not available. Noticed I cannot delete the first live account i have with norwegian location so I guess adding a second live account wont open up market as written on the first post?

arkatis

Dec 24, 2008
Cyprus-Nicosia
USB INTERNET

Another awesome Fuctionality on WP7 is the USB Internet...
Just plug your phone on your PC with the usb cable..It should now open Zune and your device will sync.... Start the Browser/youtube or your email on your phone and you will have Internet over the USB with fast speeds and no lag at all! Tested it on my HD2 WP7! :D

If you install RealTube.xap you will see on the Top Right side: "Connection:USB"
This will show you that this is working frawlessly!

Last edited:

MyRho

May 24, 2008
Hamburg
www.petgirls.de
When you are on the homescreen it will open BING-search if you push the home button. But if you are in the MUSIC&VIDEOS-screen you can search for items, music etc. in the marketplace...

Reactions: lyubohar

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I just wanted to post a couple of helpful tips&tricks for those who are new to the WP7 OS. If I helped please "donate" your time by clicking the thanks button!:D

Update: All new tips&tricks that I have found playing around on Mango Beta. Have fun!

hd2-mango.jpg

Awesome Windows 7.5 Tips&Tricks

Custom Ringtones

1. Copy MP3 or WMA to Zune Collection. Choose Edit, and type in manually under Genre "Ringtone". The song must be less than 40 seconds and smaller than 1MB.

2. Go to Settings -> Ringtones + Sounds, tap Ringtone. Your custom ringtone will appear under a new tree called "Custom", above "Windows Phone"

Note that it is identified by the filename, rather than the track title.

Also, you can tap and HOLD a ringtone, and Delete will be offered (but only on the Custom ones; preloaded ones grey out delete).

Windows Live Messenger

Pick Messaging, slide right to Online. Set Chat Status (icon at bottom), hit +, and send a message to any Messenger contact. And/or if anyone sends you an MSN, you get a ding just like a SMS, and it appears under Messaging.

Mango automatically made my Windows Live account that my phone is registered under, which is also my Messenger account, work. Others have noted that it's not possible to have a second Messenger account -- only your PRIMARY Windows Live account is linked to Messenger.

Facebook chat is set up also from Messaging -> Online. Some people have had trouble with this... read down to see some possible solutions.

Voice Activated SMS/Messaging

To allow Voice recognition from Messaging (like SMS, Messenger) while on Carrier Data, go to Settings -> Speech and check Enable Speech Recognition over Network.

Put on a headset; leave your phone on the home screen. When someone sends you a Messenger, it announces that the person has sent you a message, Read It or Ignore. If you say, "Read it", the phone reads the message. You then have an opportunity to reply via speech!

Visual Voicemail

Evidently, this is in Settings -> Phone (or Phone app, slide up, call settings). But it doesn't show up for everyone -- it's carrier dependent (doesn't show up for Telus phone on Fido for me).

Exchange/Gmail Server Search

To search the server for older (for example, Exchange) go to Outlook, click the on-screen search button, make a search. At the bottom of the results, tap "search more in Outlook". When the server search is done, at the bottom of the results, you'll see "get more results" and "search all folders". Woohoo!

Bing Visual Search -- and OCR!

Tap Bing key. Click eyeball. You can snap QR codes, Microsoft codes, or TEXT. If you snap text, it will then detect it, and you can translate it (for example, from French to English). But as someone mentioned, you can translate from English to English... and the results come as text that you can then Copy and Paste! Quick and easy cloud OCR that you have to see to believe.

Skydrive, Office

Go to Office. Slide over to Locations and SkyDrive. You can see any of the documents on your SkyDrive, and edit things like Word. It's perfect.

Notes (OneNote, synchronized with SkyDrive and your Desktop OneNote as long as you're saving to Web) is really slick. Office 365 and SharePoint are under Locations.

Easy Ones

Music Controls - This one's easy. Play a song, pause it. Hit lock key. Controls are on the wallpaper. Unlock, hit volume keys -- Controls appear.

Multitasking - Hold down Back button. It's a beautiful implementation. To remove a task from the list, pick it, then hit back button once.

Outlook Threads - Just tap a conversation thread to expand it.

Outlook Account Linking - Outlook -> ... -> Link Inboxes

App Grouping - tap the letters above the groups of apps, just like the phone book (tapping "a" gets you all the letters, tapping "s" jumps to Settings)

App Find - tap magnifying glass on apps list

IE9 -- OMG. Best Mobile Browser Ever. 'nuff said. But is it possible to turn off Address Bar in Landscape? Takes up lots of space.

People/Groups - Tap People hub, tap Family or +. You can make your own Groups, and then SMS or email everyone in the group that has SMS or email. Or quickly call them, since they get big tiles.

People/History - Tap a contact in the People hub, slide to the right, and see History. It shows call/messaging history, and "search Outlook" at the bottom.

UPDATE:
    ======
    To make Traffic work, just set region/location to English (United States).

10 Awesome Windows 7 Tips&Tricks

6. Uninstalling apps

-Creating custom themes using an XAP: Customizable Windows Phone 7 Accents
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914840

-Changing the wallpaper is now possible but only to a color using: Custom WP7 Theme with Wallpaper Ability
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=942767

9. Swipe to the left

10. What are the dots?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3641...s-phone-7-tips

For those who need access to a US market, or wherever...
    1st, when you link your live account to the phone, you'll automatically get an e-mail from Microsoft phone 7 in your inbox.
    this had some useful links in it. for example, I didn't download the full zune package, but another version witch works as well and is quite a bit smaller.

2nd, create an extra live account with false location settings, i set mine on Beverly hills, California, so you can access marketplace, xbox live etc.
    (you can add an other account for your e-mail settings etc)

Because the HD2 has different hardware keys than the WP7, the home key for the HD2 is the search button for Windows Phones. Depending on where you are, pressing the home button will give you different search results.

HOMESCREEN:
    Will open BING-search(Many custom WP7 ROM's have changed default search to Google).
    MUSIC&VIDEOS:
    Enables search for videos, music etc.
    MARKETPLACE:
    Searches for Music and Applications available for purchase in the Market

Transparent Lockscreen Wallpaper

This is the link to the wallpaper:
    http://phone7.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/clawpaper.png

Simply send yourself an email with the image attached, then open the email on your phone and save the image. When you view the image, you have an option of setting it as your wallpaper(The Zune software only seems to sync JPEG’s)

Click on the PNG attachment and then wait a few moments. Once the ‘cancel’ button next the attachment disappears, click again. This should open it in the picture viewer with the option to set as wallpaper.

Until the lock screen has started any animation, the home screen will appear black. Presumably this is because the home screen isn’t loaded until the lock screen has been touched, which makes sense. Secondly, it doesn’t work if you have a password on the lock screen. Having a password is obviously a good idea, so it’s a shame this doesn’t work with the password.

A useful application is Jivtech's Lockscreen Text App. Head on over to the site for more info about an application that allows you to quickly and easily add text to your lockscreen wallpaper

http://www.jivtech.com/lockscreentext.aspx

Extra tips from users:

Screen Locked...received a message...tap on the message preview on the top of the lock screen and then unlock the screen. Phone will unlock directly to your message screen.
    You can record a phone conversation using the video recording mode. Simply make a phone call and hold the camera button to record the entire phone conversation and video. Make sure you put on Speaker Phone Mode.

Camera:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u-2MBYYsmw

Dark Side of Focus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXS4jrxeI0k
    There is search for Marketplace...goto the market place and hit the search button...the search button works as a contextual search based on the app or hub you are in...its awesome and well thought :)

1. Connect to Wifi
    2. Select Settings
    3. Select Wifi
    4. Tap the connected WIFI network for few seconds.
    5. Select Edit
    6. Proxy ON
    7. Type your proxy server and port
    8. Save and exit you are done :)

Have fun!
    If I helped please hit the Thanks button! :)
    More WP7 tips .

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36413/72-windows-phone-7-tips

Top 10 are:

6. Uninstalling apps

9. Swipe to the left

10. What are the dots?

I have some few questions:

- How to quickly switch the phone to Silent mode/Vibrate, etc?
    Press the volume button on the side and change from Ring to Vibrate and vicer versa
    - How to quickly stop the audioplayer playing when you are somewhere else in the menu ?
    Press volume button and audioplayer should show in a bar at the top and you can pause the song
    - Why some album cover arts are wrong, or black in Zune?
    Don't know, haven't noticed that yet
    - Is there a way to change the music/audio settings (equalizer, bass, treble ?)
    Download HTC App Sound Enhancer, allows some changes to be made.
    thanks

How to have multi-language dictionaries [WP7 autocorrects my English words]

Select multiple keyboard languages in the settings. When done so, your virtual keyboard will show a regional button right of the spacebar. Changing keyboard layout will change the dictionary.

cut down Facebook contacts.

Found out how to cut down on the number of Facebook contacts:

From the microsoft website

By default, all of your Facebook friends appear as contacts on your phone. If you have lots of Facebook friends showing up in your contacts list, you can choose to only show friends who are already contacts on your phone. (So, if a Facebook friend is also a contact in Windows Live or Google, their Facebook information will still show up in your contacts list. All other friends will be hidden from the list.)

1 From Start, flick left to the Applications list and then press Settings.

2 Press Applications and then press People.

3 Under Include Facebook friends as contacts, press Only add Facebook information to existing contacts to filter out Facebook friends who don't already have a contact card on your phone.

Note

This option only filters Facebook friends from your contacts list in People. It doesn't change whose social updates you'll see in What's new.
    Contacts from SIM
    Unfortunately it's not simple. This is how I did it...

I synced my HD2 phone with Outlook, then downloaded the Hotmail Outlook Connector which allowed me to sign into my Windows Live Hotmail account through Outlook then Outlook shows me two accounts - my old ActiveSync Local account and my Windows Live Hotmail account and it's just then a simple case of clicking and dragging from one to the other. The Windows Phone 7 will then just sync the changes automatically from your Windows Live account.

or you can look here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/people/import-contacts-from-my-old-phone.aspx

Hope this helps.

contacts from Outlook to my phone.

I managed to successfully transfer my contacts from Outlook to my phone. As advised I downloaded Outlook Hotmail Connector from here and installed it.

It didn't make any noticeable changes in Outlook.
    I then set up my Hotmail account in Outlook which synced with all my existing Hotmail contacts (all 10 of them!)

I then proceeded to copy all my Outlook contacts to my Hotmail contacts in Outlook and then synced the Mozart with my Windows Live ID (ie my Hotmail) and all the Contacts that I copied synced across as well!

Long and inconvenient for my liking, but saves having to enter them all individually one by one.

I initially thought it didn't work, because when I logged into my Hotmail on the web, it doesn't update the Contacts on there, but after syncing with my phone, it was fine.

I'm now going to try the same for the Calender as well. EDIT: Works for Calender as well!

Hope that helps.

FM Radio.
    The HD7 DOES have FM Radio it can be found under the Music & Video Hub

:)

Pictures uploading.
    This is sort of a tip... a tip-off to a cool feature...

When you are in the pictures gallery, if you upload a picture to a service like skydrive off of your phone then... it's 'up' loaded in the gallery if you zoom out.

WTFfU.jpg

I thought it was really simple but really awesome lol...

(It's not persistent though, only for that viewing of the gallery...)

pinning.
    When pinning a page to your start screen in Internet Explorer:

Make sure you are zoomed in on a recognisable part of the page. The current zoom level of the page becomes the Tile snapshot image.

Tip is then: Zoom in on the page logo etc!

e.g. XDA:
    KMDtD.jpg

change the picture on picture tile

To change the picture on the picture tile on Home page, Tap Pictures tile, scroll to Pictures hub then hold your finger somewhere above the pics & a context menu will appear. Select 'Change background' & then select the pic you want to use. This changes the tile & the pic is also used as the background for the Pictures hub. Cool eh!!! :cool:

Transparent Lockscreen

Handy Tip #1: long hold the Start button to activate voice recognition (eg "open calendar")

Handy Tip #2: the traditional notification bar (signal strength, 3G, WiFi status etc) is mostly hidden by default unless something changes. Tap near the top of the screen to temporarily show all this information (for example, if you want to make sure you're connected to WiFi before downloading an app or an update). On my HD7, the sweet spot seems to be the HTC logo at the top of the screen.

Handy Tip #3: To remove an app from your phone, press and hold on its icon in the app list and select uninstall. You can also rate a downloaded app for the marketplace here.

Handy Tip #4 (possibly only applies to O2 HD7 users, maybe only in Ireland): If Internet Explorer is having trouble loading particular websites (for example, imgur), add the apn "internet" in "mobile network" under settings.

pair with your PC.
    Ok one more everyone should do...

Phone music & calls to PC Speakers

For me the headset & AV service work perfectly, straight away.

Turn on bluetooth, pair with your PC, and touch again to connect.

Apparently my old HTC Desire had these services (AV Source and Headset) but it always paired but didn't maintain a connection... no obvious reason, didn't bother to look up why lol.
    I was just excited when as soon as I connected with my PC with WP7, the Headset service asked for permission and after that all phone audio came through!

Old news to some but it is really cool having your phone blast music through your PC speakers wirelessly ;) absolutely no effort or hassle at all!

Edit: Even before the phone has fully booted it connects to the PC :D you even hear the keypresses to unlock the phone... simple things lol.

Only Alarm sound.
    I leave my phone on silent every night and the alarm still sounds fine in the morning. To put it on silent click the volume up/down button and press on the bell icon. It'll change to vibrate, but the alarm will still sound.

Email Signature.
    Go to your email, go to settings then tick use an email signature and change it from 'Sent from my Windows Phone'

So I was in the same boat you are in. Nothing could read the card except for my Nokia n97 mini. It recognized the card as "locked" and prompted for a password. I bypassed the prompt and went to the file manager. From there it let me format the card and it is back to normal. See, Symbian is good for something after all!

PS: I tried the same process with an E71 and had the same successful results. All recent Symbian phones should work as it appears they can handle the encryption and password. The card is now happily back in my HTC EVO.
    Tips Updated

Checkout awesome new tips updated February 20, 2011

Remember, If I helped please "donate" your time by clicking the thanks button!:D
    Also.....

1) MULTITASKING (OR LET ME CALL IT "BACK IN TIME")

When you press the back button when on home screen it goes to all you recent apps you opened or edited before....Keep pressing the back button will go further more back! I Think this is because when i wanted to exit an app i pressed the start button(to go to Home screen instantly) and not the back button; so it stays in memory/or recording your steps you did before!

2) CHANGING PICTURES APP BACKGROUND:

When you go to Pictures you can change the Background to your likes using your images stored into phone... Just Hold your finger on the screen and a window will pop up... it says Change Background and "Change it for me" (automatic Randomly change)..Press change my background and pick your favorite photo/image.... Now it should change in the application and when you go to Home Screen you can also see this image on the Pictures tab....Love it!!!!!!!!!!

3) Battery and signal.

When on Home screen or whenever screen you are just slide down your finger starting from the Top of the screen...It should slide down the battery,signal,wifi icons e,t,c!
    Move the cursor and edit text without arrows

It's difficult to edit text because WP7 keyboard doesn't have arrows to move the cursor.

I hope this tip will also help you:

press and keep pressing in the textbox, a cursor will appear on the screen, don't remove ur finger yet. instead use your screen as a touchpad to move the cursor to where you want to place the cursor between letters.