How compatible is the atrix with T-Mobile?

Search This thread

Lint6

Jul 19, 2010
Norristown
Sorry if this has been answered but I'm on the xda app and can't search. I'm thinking about getting this phone and unlocking it to work on T-Mobiles network. How cross compatible is it? Will it work with the T-Mobile "4G"?

Sent from my HD2 using XDA App

Squeak22

Aug 14, 2010
Sorry if this has been answered but I'm on the xda app and can't search. I'm thinking about getting this phone and unlocking it to work on T-Mobiles network. How cross compatible is it? Will it work with the T-Mobile "4G"?

Sent from my HD2 using XDA App

Nope, you will only get 2G (EDGE).

franciscojavierleon

Jul 16, 2010
Maracaibo
t-mobile and at&t use different 3G frequencies, so if you unlock it you will only get EDGE speeds. Not worthy IMO, you have lots of options in your country, i would recommend to wait for the samsung galaxy s II phone.

nucentury08

Jan 24, 2008
Just get the new nexus s and enjoy 2.3.3 and new nfc features and 3 axis gyroscope for wii like control over games and updates first and super Smiled screen lol

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

alphadog00

Jun 29, 2010
Just get the new nexus s and enjoy 2.3.3 and new nfc features and 3 axis gyroscope for wii like control over games and updates first and super Smiled screen lol

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

On the new Nexus S - if you run out of internal storage - what size memory card can you add? Oh, wait they left off the SD card slot on that model. But those super AMOLED screens are really easy on the battery right? Oh wait, if the screen is black they use less juice but not otherwise.

Sorry, had to pick on you. Suffered with the captivate for 8 months..... yeah i drank the Koolaid - now i know better - but samsung sure can spin it.

TheEscapist

Nov 9, 2010
Toronto
On the new Nexus S - if you run out of internal storage - what size memory card can you add? Oh, wait they left off the SD card slot on that model. But those super AMOLED screens are really easy on the battery right? Oh wait, if the screen is black they use less juice but not otherwise.

Sorry, had to pick on you. Suffered with the captivate for 8 months..... yeah i drank the Koolaid - now i know better - but samsung sure can spin it.

Just ignore him, hes been trolling all over the Atrix forums. The gyroscope in his phone apparently makes his keyboard so fast that he cant use punctuation. :p

nuoten18

Oct 12, 2010
Southfield , MI
Unfortunately NOT ...
Inspite every where they said you'll only get EDGE , I Saw one guy saying he got 4G on simple mobile which uses the TMO towers sometimes (both have same frequencies)!!!
I bought the ATRIX on TMO and for 2 days now only EDGE

dLo GSR

Mar 7, 2011
Los Angeles
Unfortunately NOT ...
Inspite every where they said you'll only get EDGE , I Saw one guy saying he got 4G on simple mobile which uses the TMO towers sometimes (both have same frequencies)!!!
I bought the ATRIX on TMO and for 2 days now only EDGE

nowhere do they say you can use an att phone on t mobile 3G. it's been known for years that their frequencies are different and incompatible. you just didn't do your homework before purchasing.

nuoten18

Oct 12, 2010
Southfield , MI
I knew 99% it won't work but i took the challenge anyway ..

nowhere do they say you can use an att phone on t mobile 3G. it's been known for years that their frequencies are different and incompatible. you just didn't do your homework before purchasing.

don't judge me ... I did my homework :mad:
... Just kinding :D

Actually make search for (atrix on t mobile) you'll find another disscussion about the same topic and will find the guy that I menstioned before ...

As New user I'm not allowed to post links but that what he said exactly
"Yo I got it to work with simple mobile with their 4g. Just go to gsmhosting forums and buy a code from their advertised sites. They email it to you in 5 minutes, just input imei and that it."

GoodFoot

Mar 30, 2011
Actually make search for (atrix on t mobile) you'll find another disscussion about the same topic and will find the guy that I menstioned before ...

"Yo I got it to work with simple mobile with their 4g. Just go to gsmhosting forums and buy a code from their advertised sites. They email it to you in 5 minutes, just input imei and that it."
That code process is to unlock the phone to enable it to be used with networks other than AT&T. But that doesn't get you data speed any faster than 2G/Edge using an Atrix on T-Mobile's network.

Enforcerman

Jan 11, 2008
I'm a little confused here. You guys are saying that the Atrix will only get 2G/EDGE speeds on TMobile because the frequencies are different.

I am currently using the Nexus One.. how is it that I'm getting 3G speeds with a phone that is compatible with both AT&T and TMobile then??

Doesnt this mean that the Atrix should be able to get 3G speeds as long as it has the appropriate software? or am I not understanding something..

bimmerboii

Feb 20, 2010
There are 2 kinds of nexus ones.. one with AWS bands (tmobile) and one with the regular 850/1900 (ATT). That's why you see them work on both tmobile and att. But a single device won't work on both bands.

It is a hardware issue. No software flashing will be able to fix it. If you bought the wrong one then you're stuck with it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

deduction

Oct 7, 2010
Phoenix Metro
don't judge me ... I did my homework :mad:
... Just kinding :D

False. There's not a chance in the world that is true. T-Mo USA and AT&T use mutually exclusive bands. No carrier-branded phones carry both bands. The only modern phone that carries bands necessary for 3/4G on either network would be the upcoming, not-for-sale/developer-only Nokia N950.

vinay427

Aug 17, 2010
False. There's not a chance in the world that is true. T-Mo USA and AT&T use mutually exclusive bands. No carrier-branded phones carry both bands. The only modern phone that carries bands necessary for 3/4G on either network would be the upcoming, not-for-sale/developer-only Nokia N950.

The Nokia N8 and E7 also have the 3G frequencies necessary for both At&t and T-mobile, as well as Europe/Asia (850/900/1700/1900/2100). However, I agree with you that no At&t/T-mobile branded device carries all the needed bands.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Touchscreen-Featuring-Navigation-Camera-U-S/dp/B003ZX7RL4

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Touchscreen-Navigation-Camera-U-S/dp/B0046LTU9G

Enforcerman

Jan 11, 2008
There are 2 kinds of nexus ones.. one with AWS bands (tmobile) and one with the regular 850/1900 (ATT). That's why you see them work on both tmobile and att. But a single device won't work on both bands.

It is a hardware issue. No software flashing will be able to fix it. If you bought the wrong one then you're stuck with it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Ah, I see. I didnt realize that there are 2 types of the Nexus One.
I had assumed that since they are not branded by any carriers that they were all the same device.

Thanks

I was really hoping to have my TZones internet plan, which runs at 3G speeds on the Nexus, run on an unlocked Atrix but that doesn't look possible.

Are there any phones newer than the Nexus One that will work with Tmobile 3G and are unbranded by Tmobile?
The branded Tmo android phones lock out my Tzones.

bimmerboii

Feb 20, 2010
Ah, I see. I didnt realize that there are 2 types of the Nexus One.
I had assumed that since they are not branded by any carriers that they were all the same device.

Thanks

I was really hoping to have my TZones internet plan, which runs at 3G speeds on the Nexus, run on an unlocked Atrix but that doesn't look possible.

Are there any phones newer than the Nexus One that will work with Tmobile 3G and are unbranded by Tmobile?
The branded Tmo android phones lock out my Tzones.

Here's a list of phones that will work with tmobile 3G. Take your pick. You may have to source it from somewhere else if you wish to buy it unlocked and unbranded.

The Nexus S is unlocked and unbranded even if you get it from tmobile. But since you are coming from the Nexus One, it is up to you if its worth the upgrade. Other than the Nexus S, have a look at dual core phones.

http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php...nes=0&sColor=&StandBy=0&TalkTime=0&sFreeText=

squirlley64

May 9, 2011
Atrix on t-mobile

i am currently running atrix 4g on system version 4.5.141 and android version 2.3.6.. I am rooted and have and unlocked boot loader. I also got the unlock code for my phone and it was successful and i am now running T-mobile sim chip i am only getting the Edge .. I have a thought as if you could change the phone frequency settings with sqlite editor i mean if you can disable the entitlement_check to enable theathering with AT&T's 2gb plan then we should be able to figure out how to change the frequency ratings of the phone to be able to run on t-mobiles 4g ... I wish that someone with a little more Knowledge could help out with this..