[Q] Gmail 2.2.1 ?

Search This thread

wuli

Jan 22, 2010
Does anyone know how to update the gmail app to 2.2.1?
I tried using the one leaked on Incredible forum (link below) with no success :(
Tried extracting the gmail.apk from the zip file and using rootexplorer to replace but still loads gmail 2.2

I am running frf91 deodexed - Thanks!

Incredible forum: h##p://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=746644

wuli

Jan 22, 2010

Perfect, thanks!
I had a noob moment (actually mostly a stupid moment)
I used root explorer to move gmail.apk from zip to system apps folder but never thought I actually need to install it. :eek:

I then installed it using astro and everything seems to be working.

Is it okay to do it that way? Can you just install it like normal apk from sdcard?

2.2.1 seems nice. The biggest difference is a large reply arrow on top. When you press it reply, reply all, forward scroll in. This is a bit nicer than before.

Thanks fir the help!

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
No problem,

As for installing from the sdcard, I dont think you'll have a problem.

I usually just adb push any system app.

fl13dl1c3

Jul 17, 2009
Perfect, thanks!
I had a noob moment (actually mostly a stupid moment)
I used root explorer to move gmail.apk from zip to system apps folder but never thought I actually need to install it. :eek:

I then installed it using astro and everything seems to be working.

Is it okay to do it that way? Can you just install it like normal apk from sdcard?

2.2.1 seems nice. The biggest difference is a large reply arrow on top. When you press it reply, reply all, forward scroll in. This is a bit nicer than before.

Thanks fir the help!

yup worked for me too! how do you guys find out about these small updates anyway?? is google supposed to push these updates to us slowly? i never received an OTA, cause i manually installed froyo the second i got my nexus one :) thanks again!

kccasey

Dec 22, 2008
Buffalo
Is this still in Beta or something? Is that why it hasn't been pushed out to 2.2 users? Or perhaps it's getting pushed to all NON-ROOT 2.2 users...?? IDK.

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
YES YES it worked perfectly, installed upgrade and now I'm playing with the big boys lol.... as this is official from Google themselves, how come were all having to get this from XDA and we didn't get this from Google themselves?? odd.. either way I'm happy I have it!! Thanks guys!!!

BTW where was this file acquired from?? A Froyo 2.2 rom from the nexus one?? If so that's odd b/c I just upgrade to Froyo on my EVO directly from Sprint/HTC. I'm running official stock Froyo that my EVO recieved OTA and I didn't get that GMAIL update.... :confused:

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Seems as stable as the original client, and yes, you can roll back.

As for officially rolled out, who knows, if ever. Maybe it'll appear in the Market without telling anyone, like the improved search widget.