[RECOVERY] [Vodafone Smart / Huawei U8160] Unofficial ClockworkMod Recovery

Search This thread

psyke83

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 29, 2011
Edit: February 2012: please disregard ALL information below this red text. ROM Manager now supports the Huawei U8160, and will flash the official recovery build from the app. See the Getting Started with ROM Manager & ClockworkMod section in this post.

ClockworkMod Recovery for Vodafone Smart (Huawei U8160)
Current release - v0.1 - 12 September 2011 [CWM Ver. 4.0.1.5]

What is ClockworkMod Recovery? From AddictiveTips:
ClockworkMod – also known as Clockwork and CWM – is a custom recovery for Android phones and tablets that allows you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations on your Android device that aren’t possible with the stock recovery.

Installation - Fastboot Method:
Use this method if you have never installed a build of ClockworkMod before.
  • Download the Android SDK for your operating system [Windows users are recommended to download the .zip version].
  • Extract the fastboot / fastboot.exe file from the tools folder of the Android SDK zip file to a folder on your computer.
  • Download the latest zip release of ClockworkMod using the link(s) below.
  • Open the ClockworkMod .zip file and extract the recovery.img file to the same folder as the fastboot / fastboot.exe binary.
  • Reboot (or turn your phone one) whilst holding the power and volume down keys. Your phone will now be in "fastboot" mode.
  • Open a terminal or command prompt, and run the following commands:
Note: these are example instructions for a Windows user who has extracted the fastboot.exe and recovery.img to C:\VodafoneSmart. Adjust the folder path to wherever you extracted these files.
Code:
cd C:\VodafoneSmart
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

Installation - ClockworkMod Method (zip):
Use this method if you already have ClockworkMod installed, and you wish to update the version that already exists on your phone.
  • Download the latest zip release using the link(s) below.
  • Transfer the .zip file to your SD card. Do not extract the .zip file - only copy it.
  • Reboot into ClockworkMod, choose the option Install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard. Select the current release, and confirm the update by selecting Yes. Reboot and enjoy!

Usage:
To access ClockworkMod recovery, any one of the follow methods will work:
  • If you are running a build of CyanogenMod, choose the Recovery option from the reboot menu;
  • Run "adb shell reboot recovery" on any rooted ROM;
  • Reboot your device whilst holding the power and volume up keys.[/li]

Once you've entered ClockworkMod Recovery, you will be presented with several options (some familiar, some not). I won't try to explain all of the options, as there are better guides on the internet (example: the AddictiveTips site above). However, these are the ones you should really know about:
  • Wipe data/factory reset - same as before
  • Wipe cache partition - same as before
  • Install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard - this is the new method you will be using to flash ROMs and update packages
  • Backup & restore - this menu lets you perform a full backup or restore of your boot, /cache, /data/ & app2sd partition (which is compatible with mad2sd)
  • Mounts & storage -> mount USB storage - this lets you enable UMS mode to copy update packages (if you forgot to transfer before rebooting into recovery)
  • Advanced -> partition SD card - this lets you easily partition your SD card for use with mad2sd or any third-party app2sd solutions. It lets you select the size for the EXT4 partition as well as swap. MAKE SURE TO BACKUP ALL DATA ON YOUR CARD BEFORE USING THIS OPTION.

Changelog:
    • [CWM Ver. 4.0.1.5] v0.1 zip - 12 September 2011
      • First release.

Last edited:

zodac01

Sep 13, 2011
Hi, I've been trying this guide and am having trouble with both methods.

Fastboot Method
I get into fastboot mode (where it's just at the hourglass screen), and type in "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img". The command prompt just says "Waiting for device", and never updates.

ClockworkMod Method
I installed the CWM I got off the Android Market, and then tried to reboot into recovery mode (both by rebooting through CWM and by pressing Volume+Up & Power). I just end up waiting at the hourglass screen like when it's in fastboot mode.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

ha1fman

Sep 16, 2011
Fastboot Method
I get into fastboot mode (where it's just at the hourglass screen), and type in "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img". The command prompt just says "Waiting for device", and never updates.

That happens to me too... I also noticed that in device manager is missing driver for Android 1.0? I don't know what to do next. Someone knows? Thanks

EDIT: It works ... download Pulse_Drivers_xp_w7_w764.zip from dc-unlocker (sry can't post link).

Last edited:

Maeur1

Dec 4, 2010
Wellington
just a note, the U8160 has a different USB hardware ID when in fastboot mode, and so inside 70.android.rules you need to add "12d1" and "18d1"

18d1 is the fastboot USB id and 12d1 is the adb USB id

This is for linux btw.

renegade_82

May 3, 2011
i've two questions for subpsyke:

it's planned update to cwm recovery 5?
Why don't knowledge Rom Manager cwm recovery in your cyano release for U8160?

p.s
sorry for my bad english, i'm italian's users ... ;)

Maeur1

Dec 4, 2010
Wellington

p.s

Yea i got this problem too, in ROM manager, this recovery isnt detected, any ideas on how to get it?

EDIT: I flashed the IDEOS recovery through rom manager then flashed back this recovery, and now it works like it should.

Reactions: bk109

chriscx

Feb 9, 2011
EDIT: done, thanks a lot

for pulse driver, turn on phone, then press power + volume down, then plug usb, PC will search for a driver

fastboot is just: power button + volume down (and then it sticks on logo or hourglass) then open command prompt on pc

pulse driver:
http://www.mediafire.com/?l9zoonl8kygcejm

Last edited:

jpcoke

Oct 22, 2011
Hi there

Download the Android SDK for your operating system [Windows users are recommended to download the .zip version].
Extract the fastboot / fastboot.exe file from the tools folder of the Android SDK zip file to a folder on your computer.

I'm a windows user and i've downloaded the Sdk zip and there's no fastboot.exe on any of the folders... :|

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

shfarrosesi

Oct 30, 2011
u8160 cwm

iam havving problems around here
i need more instruction , i have the folder with recovery and fastbot ,but how to put tham on the phone ? i have rooted my device sucesfully iam stuck rebooting on recovery mode , i cant reboot as you show us , or enter in fastboot , please help me do it :(

G

GuestD1009

I have a branded Vodafone Smart (U8160) and it stucks everytime at the hourglass screen. It won't get into recovery mode.
How do I fix this?

Edit: I haven't rooted it yet. Have I to do it before I could install CMW?

Last edited:

chriscx

Feb 9, 2011
I have a branded Vodafone Smart (U8160) and it stucks everytime at the hourglass screen. It won't get into recovery mode.
How do I fix this?

for cwm it's power button+volume UP
fastboot power button+volume DOWN

it's easy to root with gingerbreak v1.2

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

cant seem to find this version of the sdk to download, anyone got a link?

man, I have posted the link just up

Reactions: Marcos OC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit: February 2012: please disregard ALL information below this red text. ROM Manager now supports the Huawei U8160, and will flash the official recovery build from the app. See the Getting Started with ROM Manager & ClockworkMod section in this post.

ClockworkMod Recovery for Vodafone Smart (Huawei U8160)
    Current release - v0.1 - 12 September 2011 [CWM Ver. 4.0.1.5]

What is ClockworkMod Recovery? From AddictiveTips:
    ClockworkMod – also known as Clockwork and CWM – is a custom recovery for Android phones and tablets that allows you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations on your Android device that aren’t possible with the stock recovery.

Installation - Fastboot Method:
    Use this method if you have never installed a build of ClockworkMod before.
    • Download the Android SDK for your operating system [Windows users are recommended to download the .zip version].
    • Extract the fastboot / fastboot.exe file from the tools folder of the Android SDK zip file to a folder on your computer.
    • Download the latest zip release of ClockworkMod using the link(s) below.
    • Open the ClockworkMod .zip file and extract the recovery.img file to the same folder as the fastboot / fastboot.exe binary.
    • Reboot (or turn your phone one) whilst holding the power and volume down keys. Your phone will now be in "fastboot" mode.
    • Open a terminal or command prompt, and run the following commands:
    Note: these are example instructions for a Windows user who has extracted the fastboot.exe and recovery.img to C:\VodafoneSmart. Adjust the folder path to wherever you extracted these files.
    Code:
    cd C:\VodafoneSmart
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot reboot

Installation - ClockworkMod Method (zip):
    Use this method if you already have ClockworkMod installed, and you wish to update the version that already exists on your phone.
    • Download the latest zip release using the link(s) below.
    • Transfer the .zip file to your SD card. Do not extract the .zip file - only copy it.
    • Reboot into ClockworkMod, choose the option Install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard. Select the current release, and confirm the update by selecting Yes. Reboot and enjoy!

Usage:
    To access ClockworkMod recovery, any one of the follow methods will work:
    • If you are running a build of CyanogenMod, choose the Recovery option from the reboot menu;
    • Run "adb shell reboot recovery" on any rooted ROM;
    • Reboot your device whilst holding the power and volume up keys.[/li]

Once you've entered ClockworkMod Recovery, you will be presented with several options (some familiar, some not). I won't try to explain all of the options, as there are better guides on the internet (example: the AddictiveTips site above). However, these are the ones you should really know about:
    • Wipe data/factory reset - same as before
    • Wipe cache partition - same as before
    • Install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard - this is the new method you will be using to flash ROMs and update packages
    • Backup & restore - this menu lets you perform a full backup or restore of your boot, /cache, /data/ & app2sd partition (which is compatible with mad2sd)
    • Mounts & storage -> mount USB storage - this lets you enable UMS mode to copy update packages (if you forgot to transfer before rebooting into recovery)
    • Advanced -> partition SD card - this lets you easily partition your SD card for use with mad2sd or any third-party app2sd solutions. It lets you select the size for the EXT4 partition as well as swap. MAKE SURE TO BACKUP ALL DATA ON YOUR CARD BEFORE USING THIS OPTION.

Changelog:
      • [CWM Ver. 4.0.1.5] v0.1 zip - 12 September 2011
        • First release.

p.s

Yea i got this problem too, in ROM manager, this recovery isnt detected, any ideas on how to get it?

EDIT: I flashed the IDEOS recovery through rom manager then flashed back this recovery, and now it works like it should.
    How do I fix this?

for cwm it's power button+volume UP
    fastboot power button+volume DOWN

it's easy to root with gingerbreak v1.2

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

cant seem to find this version of the sdk to download, anyone got a link?

man, I have posted the link just up