[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread

trinilu27

Sep 27, 2014
salt lake city
Hi guys, I want to renovate my lgg4, I was thinking in an iPhone 8, principally for the size, but I have a question, how do you know if you have a new notification in ios? Don't have notification led or dynamic display, so you have to press the power button all the time?

Enviado desde mi LG-H815 mediante Tapatalk
You go out and buy a Android because they had the sense to realise you mite want to know when you have a new notification with out picking up the phone and checking it

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

You go out and buy a Android because they had the sense to realise you mite want to know when you have a new notification with out picking up the phone and checking it buy ooooohhhh I don't know a simple flushing led ?.

Jun 4, 2018
I am buying Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus in the upcoming days, I hope itll work well[emoji16]

Послато са GT-I9505 уз помоћ Тапатока

MarcusNow

May 18, 2018
Your s3 is not worse today?
Are you kidding,
That is a massive lag and battery last 2 3h this years ago,
And doesn't mention apps that doesn't work for that android you have, most are updated to new android.
I think you need really to update and see the difference, where you were lost in time, unless you use your phone to just calls and messages., i have a note4 that my kid use for YouTube and some game, and lag like hell.
Compared to newest models.
I advice you to a s8 plus and you will see the next level, and its a good price.

Actually, my Galaxy S3 is nearly as smooth as my friend's Note 4.
For many tasks such as E-Mailing, even my friend's S7 is not much better than my S3. That's because it is just text editing.

The battery needed to be swapped once.

Yes, the S3 is not a recent phone, but it still works great.
And apps work on it, too.

In apps that do not work, older versions work fine. That's just software.

Reactions: andacro
Jun 4, 2018
For many tasks such as E-Mailing, even my friend's S7 is not much better than my S3. That's because it is just text editing.

Indeed, true. Only if you seek to run some games you could say its bad. I am opting to buy Redmi 5 Plus cause my S4's SIM card reader died off and for some reason lost 3G connectivity beforehand which is quite important for someone who needs to thether his internet to the PC to get online using that.

Послато са GT-I9505 уз помоћ Тапатока

Reactions: MarcusNow

force70

Yeah but being nearly as smooth as a note 4 isnt saying alot these days.

I still have my s3 and note 4 both i bought on their respective launch days, both still function just fine but comparing them to my S9 plus or Pixel 2XL....well it isnt even close. Its like comparing a honda to a ferrari.

The S3 i use as an MP3 player in the gym but trying to do anything else with it is really painful because its just so slow.

My note 4 i actually try and use still once in awhile, its one of my all time favorite devices but same thing...its so sluggish compared to the newer devices i cant stand it for more than a day.

So, respectfully i must disagree. And this coming from an original owner of both and someone who spent a ton of time modding both on here and has a strong sentimental attachment to both devices

I do sure miss the removable batteries, its just so convenient!

sent from my Exynos S9 plus, Pixel 2 XL or Note FE

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018
Bought Redmi 5 plus 4/64 today, happy for now. Seems like a pretty good phone atm [emoji2]

Послато са Redmi 5 Plus уз помоћ Тапатока

force70

Hi. I use Samsung S6 for 2 years now it's time for changes!
Im looking for S7 but its only 1 generation UP do you think i will find difference between that two smartphones ?

Ive had both, other than the ext sd card and better battery life S7 was not a big jump over the S6.

Not sure why would look at buying an old device though, go for an S9 or at worst S8 if your looking to stay with samsung.

Jun 4, 2018
Ive had both, other than the ext sd card and better battery life S7 was not a big jump over the S6.

Not sure why would look at buying an old device though, go for an S9 or at worst S8 if your looking to stay with samsung.

Indeed, Ive bought Redmi cause for some reasons I dont like samsung. 5 plus is enough for my needs tbh

Послато са Redmi 5 Plus уз помоћ Тапатока

Hyflex

Jan 26, 2011
London
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on getting 2 mobile phones, one for my brother and one for my mother. I've found two but am not sure if there is something better/cheaper available. I am also not 100% sure if these phones will work in the UK on the "Three" network.

Bare in mind their current phones are Nexus 4's so their phones are pretty old and

Mother:

She likes to browse websites, use facebook, browse youtube, listen to music via bluetooth earphones, take pictures on holiday... etc.

- Budget: £200~
- Screen Size: 5"+
- Camera: Decent
- Bluetooth: 4.2+
- Fingerprint Reader: Yes
- RAM: 2+GB
- Games: No
- Movies/TV Shows: No
- YouTube/Spotify: Yes
- Selfies: No

It would be nice if we could get one with waterpoofing, high corning glass protection, the ability to listen to FM radio without using the likes of tunein radio and more storage space (128GB+)

The phone I've found that's that's around the budget price is the Xiaomi Mi 5s, has decent screen size, good screen protection, good GPU, CPU and Chipset, decent storage (64GB), decent RAM (3GB), decent camera based on GSMArean's comparrisions, acceptable wifi, acceptable bluetooth, acceptable GPS, fast charging 3.0, probably more than good enough benchmarks for what my mother does with her phone and decent battery life. The cheapest I can get it in the UK is £199 for a 64GB version which is decent amount of storage, it would be nice if I could get one with 128GB storage.

Brother:

He likes to play games, watch tv shows/movies, read books, listen to music, send lots of texts, use as a sat nav... etc

- Budget: £350~
- Screen Size: 6"+
- Camera: Decent
- Bluetooth: 4.2+
- Fingerprint Reader: Yes
- RAM: 3+GB
- Games: Yes
- Movies/TV Shows: Yes
- YouTube/Spotify: Yes
- Selfies: Yes

It would be nice if we could get one with waterpoofing and high corning glass protection.

The phone I have found that is a little bit over budget is the Xiaomi Mi 8 which has a decent screen, good screen protection, top of the range GPU, CPU and Chipset, decent storage (64GB+), more than enough RAM: 6GB, very good cameras, top of the range GPS, latest Bluetooth, fast charging 4.0, decent benchmarks, decent battery life. Thee cheapest I can get it in the UK is for £370.49 for a 128GB version which is plenty of storage.

Questions:
- Do these phones work in the UK on our networks, specifically the "Three" network?
- Are there any real downsides to these phones? I've read that some of them (CN Versions?) do not have access to the play store but surely I can flash a new ROM onto the devices and install gapps to get around this?
- Can anyone suggest better phones / matching phones for cheaper?

Thanks in advance

ForMartha

Jun 26, 2011
I'm really into buying a new phone, just dunno what.

I tend to think about the MI 8 SE. Or the Mi 2 - do you folks have an idea about any other phone at the same price tag?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

DigiPooch

Mar 12, 2012
Hi. I use Samsung S6 for 2 years now it's time for changes!
Im looking for S7 but its only 1 generation UP do you think i will find difference between that two smartphones ?
Don't do it if you plan on rooting, unlocking, or enjoying any custom recovery, etc. I absolutely hate it. Really feel I screwed up purchasing S7. Didn't realize Samsung changed the way they implement security for the bootloader, making unlocking virtually impossible. Some amazing members of community actually managed to root it, but it runs like garbage if you intend to keep root for daily. Hence, I'm on this thread looking for new device options myself. Probably getting into og pixel, or xl version next. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA-Developers Legacy app

GDane1

Jul 4, 2017
What's a good device that you'd recommend that has a lot of development as far as a lot of Wrong Turn olds aftermarket stuff that you can root evidently and that's a good all-around phone.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

I like Samsung with Samsung has lock your bootloader so that kind of sucks so anyway recommit anything good let me know I really appreciate it

force70

What's a good device that you'd recommend that has a lot of development as far as a lot of Wrong Turn olds aftermarket stuff that you can root evidently and that's a good all-around phone.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

I like Samsung with Samsung has lock your bootloader so that kind of sucks so anyway recommit anything good let me know I really appreciate it

Only the north american snapdragons are locked, but just go with exynos...problem solved.

That said there isnt a ton of development for later Samsung phones.

One plus is good for development so is nexus,1st gen pixel.

dwh2o13

Apr 9, 2013
Only the north american snapdragons are locked, but just go with exynos...problem solved.

That said there isnt a ton of development for later Samsung phones.

One plus is good for development so is nexus,1st gen pixel.

Curious to get your impressions of your Pixel 2 XL.? I see some development on the device, and I'm a big fan of pure Android. I still use my Nexus 6P and love the phone. 3 is right around the corner, but my goodness the price of flagship phones these days is getting ridiculous. I've not been one to have a need for the latest and greatest and usually lag behind on the purchase of top rated phones giving them a chance to drop in price.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before you buy an used phone, check it with this app:

See how many charging cycles it has.
    500+ and you know the battery is on way down.
    Any hint how I can obtain physical access to a device that I don't own yet in order to install this certainly great app for the suggested check?
    G53 is a low end phone - G42 is a better choice.
    Amoled, FHD, better SoC etc

Xperia 10 III is as good as G42, with more RAM, but an older phone and cost more:
    Before you buy an used phone, check it with this app:

See how many charging cycles it has.
    500+ and you know the battery is on way down.
    Thanks. Won't work on my phone as it's for Android 14, but am looking for another app to check number of cycles.

Its a bit older phone, but still nice.
    Bit smaller screen size, smaller battery, less RAM, but a better camera, OTG support, and should get Android 14 too.

If the price is right, lower than G84, and you like the phone, go for it.

If the price is the same, and the camera is not in your focus, then get the G84 because it has an amasing battery life, microSD expansion is very nice too.
    Modern day lower midrangers offer the luxury of 6gb ram, faster processors and are an exciting segment to look.

Here are few truly valuable midrangers, suiting our preferences: (premium camera, 4k video rec & microsd support)
    • Realme 12 plus - mar 24 _ 50p,8w,2m​

Realme, well known for its camera 1st approach and has recently released a bombshell right there.
    • Samsung F54 5g - July 23_ 64p,2w,8m​

A popular midranger over the past few months that ticks all boxes and even chosen as best midranger by many websites.
    • Oppo F25 Pro - Feb 24 _32p,2w,8m​

Very high bang for the buck right here and Camera has been a big flex of this phone.
    • Oppo Reno 11 -jan 24 _50p,8w,32t​

This phone is highly rated for its slowmo video especially and comes with a flagship telephoto lens as well. All this comes at a higher price making it a higher mid Ranger.

The moto G54 and G84 are the other big guns in the category but don't support 4k video and dont have macro lens.

(P - primary lens, W- wide angle, M - Macro, T - telephoto)
    Thank you so much for the elaborate response, after 5 days of intense research, I wasn't happy enough with the offers at the 300-400 range, not enough to call the shot, so I ended up lowering the budget to avoid disappointment, and got a poco x6 for 277 euros, is alright, I feel like if I had forked out more for a redmi note 12 pro plus or note 13 pro plus, I would feel disappointed...
    mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
    For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
    Asus Padfone for me!
    Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
    Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.