All these quad core android leaks, What MS needs to do

Search This thread

lovenokia

Sep 1, 2011
I am seeing all of these crazy quad core android leaks now and windows phone will get even more behind in specs. Look i know that most apps wont even utilize the quad core, there are barely any apps that do dual core but Apollo better be groundbreaking and allow quad core cause that is where MS needs to compete. At this rate i think the next iPhone too will be outdated on release.

Reactions: henreeg

makoute

Jul 30, 2010
Boston
wp7 doesn't need quad core, in fact, 99% of the smartphone users don't even need a dual core.

you'll see these quad core phones with a huge price tag, low battery life and performing the same as single/dual core devices.

it's completely unnecessary. it's not like you're running lightroom and premiere on your phone.

Completely unnecessary? Definitely, wanted by many? Hell yes

cyberstoic

Nov 1, 2010
wp7 doesn't need quad core, in fact, 99% of the smartphone users don't even need a dual core.

you'll see these quad core phones with a huge price tag, low battery life and performing the same as single/dual core devices.

it's completely unnecessary. it's not like you're running lightroom and premiere on your phone.

My concern is with heat dissipation with all that processor power. In addition to my DVP, I have a MyTouch4G Slide - 1.2 ghz dual core - and it can get hot when you are using it. I am curious to see what the longevity of these 1st gen dual cores are based on my experience with the heat. My DVP seldom gets hot, neither did my nexus one for that matter. Just a thought...........

emjlr3

Nov 29, 2011
aren't these new procs supposed to be more efficient and cooler than the previous batch?

sinister1

Feb 28, 2009
Houston
I am seeing all of these crazy quad core android leaks now and windows phone will get even more behind in specs. Look i know that most apps wont even utilize the quad core, there are barely any apps that do dual core but Apollo better be groundbreaking and allow quad core cause that is where MS needs to compete. At this rate i think the next iPhone too will be outdated on release.

Quad cores are nice and stuff but they suck up a lot of battery power add that to the already 4G sucking up most of it and you get a phone that you have to charge every few hours a day. It's like a laptop with a cell phone battery.

jz9833

Feb 1, 2007
Houston
Its stupid that android is desperately trying to become more and more like a desktop PC.

This comment is ridiculous when you remember windows phone 8 is a desktop OS on a phone. well at least the kernel.

Quad cores however, are not needed on a phone at this point of time. Tablets yes, phones no. But to all that worry, Apollo is coming out this year

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
I do think that Windows Phone needs to enter the dual core market for the gaming segment. Quad core is not necessary now and I suspect the Android market will not be dominated by quad cores in 2012.

But we do have to face facts, if (and I am not saying this is indeed a fact) the consumer wants a dual core then sales will not be where you want them to be if you are pushing out single cores. And so on. Imagine an OEM only making 3.2MP point and shoot cameras because that is enough to print on 8.5x11.

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
I do think that Windows Phone needs to enter the dual core market for the gaming segment.

It's exactly what I was going to say.... Xbox live titles are pretty good and they are getting better but, still not even close to some RPGs or Rage on the iphone or Android for graphics detail, quality and game play.

Xbox live is a brand that is known for great games, As a gamer, I am disapointed in the offerings given on my WP7 device. They are good but, not great.

Quad cores are just too much (battery and heat are the big ones), crap, to do better games, just give a better GPU, no quad core or even dual core is needed in most cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: dazza9075

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
It's exactly what I was going to say.... Xbox live titles are pretty good and they are getting better but, still not even close to some RPGs or Rage on the iphone or Android for graphics detail, quality and game play.

Xbox live is a brand that is known for great games, As a gamer, I am disapointed in the offerings given on my WP7 device. They are good but, not great.

Quad cores are just too much (battery and heat are the big ones), crap, to do better games, just give a better GPU, no quad core or even dual core is needed in most cases.

absolutely agree, this is exactly why my device thats near on 2.5 YEARS old still kicks the balls off devices made yesterday

However, graphically intensive tasks are hampered by its aging Adreno 200 GPU

I believe the younger brother of my phone the HD7 had the Adreno 205 which gave it a significant bump, personally, i want the S3 Snapdragons, not for the multiple cores but the new Adreno 220/225.

The old S1 processor in my thing is still standing true, shoving 3 or even another 1 core in it is going to make the square route of bugger all difference in my every day needs.

The Jones

Jul 14, 2008
London
The only reason for WP7 to have more CPU power is for gaming (and for the spec sheets of course). I am sure Apollo will bring multi-core support which will enable even better games. As it goes, some of the xbox live titles are fairly impressive, but there are games on other platforms which are significantly better due to the power available.

The only thing I have seen mentioned in this thread that is worth having more power for other than games, is 1080p video recording. It definitely does make a difference - I have a camera that does 1080p and it is very very nice. Cant wait for that, although I have a sneaky feeling that the second gen devices could do it if the software allowed it - correct me if I am wrong.

Arjoma

Jan 18, 2011
Yes, don't change Windows Phone! Keep it as it has always been. The first Gen devices from two years ago are sufficient, so there is no need for improvement! You see how great they sell! :D
Maybe quad core is a bit much on a phone (whereas I could imagine having one in my tablet), but if it improves multitasking, saves battery at the same time and makes speedier cameras, faster web browsing and better games possible- then fine, give the people the chance to buy these devices. Not everyone may need them (they buy the middle class models with the last gen hardware) but there definitely is a market.
And yes, imo Android devices are way faster than WP7 devices, equally smooth and offer a superior interface which looks better and offers far more options - a matter of taste!

anseio

Oct 11, 2011
Seattle
... You see how great they sell! :D...
You ignore the fact that most sales people completely ignore selling WP7 over the easy sell of Android and iOS.
And yes, imo Android devices are way faster than WP7 devices, equally smooth and offer a superior interface which looks better and offers far more options - a matter of taste!
Sorry... seen way too many laggy Android ROMs and devices to fully believe this statement. Whereas, every WP7 device has been consistently smooth. Superior interface is purely subjective.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm kinda fed up by these donkheads using Android who talks about nothing but specs. You can put WHATEVER you want in that ****ing OS and it will still not run smooth because IT IS NOT OPTIMIZED FOR ****.

unnecessary, yet wanted
    A: 'HEY I HAVE A QUAD CORE PHONE!'
    B: 'SO WHAT CAN IT DO?'
    A: 'BASICALLY ANYTHING THAT YOUR PHONE CAN DO'
    B: 'SO WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?'
    A: 'MY PHONE HAS QUAD CORE!'

loop the conversation

ahahha
    smoked by a windows phone

Haven't you seen any of the Smoked By Windows Phone challenges? A Windows phone is faster than any of the android or iphones out there with dual core processors. IMO thats saying something.
    What the rational Windows Phone supporters are saying is the OS does not need a dual core to work well. Yes, there is no debate that in order to do certain things like 1080p and push out better graphics in games you need a better gpu. Unfortunately, those better gpus are not found on the single core chips.

It would be nice if we did not have to go through this exercise repeatly. Fanboys are not good representations of the attitutes of the population. Windows Phone has made significant progress in a year and a few months. And it will continue to do so. But this whole spec spec spec thing is a silly argument.

If Windows Phone is not good enough for you we understand, but hopefully you will understand that it is good enough for some people right now.