[Q] T-Mobile/AT&T/GSM on Razr M

Search This thread

samari71

Jan 25, 2009
i have a droid razr m on verizon and would like to go to net10 what do i have to do to make this work

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Reactions: bamx2

rmg512

May 29, 2014
deep sleep

Has anyone attempted the 4.4.2 update on the Razr M yet? If so, did radio hack survive? If not, were you able to reapply it?

I had strange behavior after the upgrade to 4.4.2 on a radio hacked Razr M I've been using with AT&T/Straight Talk for a year. The phone refuses to go into deep sleep when 3G/HSPA is enabled. This causes reboots and fast battery drain. It's fine with data disabled, GSM/2G only, and wifi. Lots of settings fiddling and factory resets. Using RSD Lite to flash stock 4.4.2 hasn't helped. I tried a friend's AT&T SIM and had the same problem, 3G data worked fine but no deep sleep. Anyone else see this behavior after the OTA upgrade?

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
There is a bug in the Modem Fast Dormancy app that causes several problems using the M/HD on GSM services and I have found it is best to disable it in the build.prop
along with a few other edits that optimize the radio and remove some of the VZW specific features and settings that can interfere with GSM/WCDMA functions.

rmg512

May 29, 2014
There is a bug in the Modem Fast Dormancy app that causes several problems using the M/HD on GSM services and I have found it is best to disable it in the build.prop
along with a few other edits that optimize the radio and remove some of the VZW specific features and settings that can interfere with GSM/WCDMA functions.

Thanks for the response. Any tips/links on how to do this with 4.4.2 KitKat? I haven't seen a Razr M root method yet and definitely don't have the skills to develop one.

Last edited:

AndroidMilos

Aug 31, 2010
Methuen

Can you post a "how to" on the bug and radio optimization here?
Thank you

samari71

Jan 25, 2009
i put my tmobile sim card that is activate in my gsm unlocked razr m and turn it on first it says no gsm umt networks and ask if you want to change to global and when i hit no it reads no service anybody got a clue what wrong its gsm unlocked i checked

camdecoster

Jun 29, 2010

Do you have these edits listed somewhere? If they make my phone perform better, I'm all for it.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I will be writing this up in my thread but will give a quick listing here.
At the bottom of the build.prop file is a section called ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES and there are three lines that need editing.

ro.mot.phone mode.vzw4gphone=1 change to 0

ro.mot.ds.fastdormancy.disable=false change to true

telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=1 change to 0 (the first instance of this line higher up in the build.prop can be ignored as this one takes precedence over it)

These changes can be made with any root enabled file explorer or with adb shell but you must always remember to set the permissions properly to rw-r--r--
and always save your original file as .bak to restore in case of problems.

If you do not set permissions properly your phone will not boot and you will need to reflash the system to restore it.

Also removing or renaming /system/priv-app/VzwPhoneService.apk and .odex files will disable the SIM from Unknown Source popup warning.

Last edited:

camdecoster

Jun 29, 2010
At the bottom of the build.prop file is a section called ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES and there are three lines that need editing.

telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=1 change to 0 (the first instance of this line higher up in the build.prop can be ignored as this one takes precedence over it)

These changes can be made with any root enabled file explorer or with adb shell but you must always remember to set the permissions properly to rw-r--r--

If you do not set permissions properly your phone will not boot and you will need to reflash the system to restore it.

Also removing or renaming /system/priv-app/VzwPhoneService.apk and .odex files will disable the SIM from Unknown Source popup warning.

Thanks for the information. Could you elaborate on the benefit of making the edits? I understand that disabling fast dormancy will work around the bug, but what benefits do the other two edits provide?

samari71

Jan 25, 2009
unlocked my phone to tmobile works but i am in a 2g area so all i get is phone and text is there any way for me to get data when i hit search for networks it show two networks tmobile and att am i able to use both

0rtli

Apr 5, 2008
Tbilisi
No, sorry, I have a Dev edition so I have root. There maybe a way to do it in the NV but I would need to poke around and find it.

Dear friend, did you poke around in NV to disable fast dormancy?
I have razr m with latest ota and use it in gsm network outside of US. There is no root to edit build.prop and it will be great if we can disable FD from NV.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got H+ on Net10/AT&T

I used DFS (from cdmatool.com) & dev drivers from somewhere on XDA to set NV item 8322 to 0, and now I have H+ on Net10/AT&T in the US, with the US modem. Still says "Sim from unknown source" on boot, and remember set your APN correctly. Please report if you get this too, maybe there's something else I changed that is also important.

Super thanks to CellZealot, P3Droid, and everyone else for investigation, I wouldn't have tried if you didn't.

Happy hacking
    They are going to post directions on how to do the NV edit this evening.
    He is even attempting to make a zip file that makes it an easy 1,2,3 that updates the NV value without any special tools.
    Hopefully he posts it soon.

The zip file would be super convenient...

But, I'll try to give a brief step-by-step "cheat sheet" guide here. Not a real tutorial, sorry ... don't have time to go back and try all the steps, take screenshots, etc... for the "easy way" I'd wait for cellzealot ...

I installed the drivers for all the tools like DFS, QPST, QDXM, etc long long ago, not sure where but I think the ones from this thread should work:
    Drivers: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1891582&highlight=drivers
    Direct link: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1333751&d=1347903431

After installing the drivers, power off the phone, then hold power + volume up + volume down, and select "BT Tools" from the boot menu (press volume down until it is highlighted, then press volume up). Wait for the phone to boot, then plug it into the PC. It should recognize it and install a new COM port (if not, go to Start->Motorola->Mobile Drivers->Motorola Drivers Installer and see if that does the trick.. again, I installed these drivers long ago so my memory is a little rusty).

After installing the drivers, install DFS, I got it from this thread and it worked, you may get it somewhere else as well:
    DFS: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1876457
    Direct link: http://www.2shared.com/file/xBxUOnPz/DFS.html

(1) Make sure you still have the phone in BT Tools mode connected, and start DFS.
    (4) Click on the "Ports" button, double click on the newly installed COM port (for me it's called "Motorola QC Diag Port"), close ports manager
    (4a) Check: Make sure the port is selected in the drop down to the right of the "ports" button
    (5) In the main window, select "Qualcomm" on the DM drop down
    (6) click on SPC (leave code as 000000), make sure it says "DEVICE UNLOCKED" in the console at the bottom
    (7) click on NV tab
    (8) enter 8322 the "Start" field, and 8323 in the "End" field, then click "Read range"
    (8a) Check: It should show only one item called ITEM_8322
    (9) select (highlight) the item ITEM_8322, click in the "Edit NV" box below, type 00 replacing the 01
    (10) select (highlight) the item ITEM_8322 again, click "Apply changes", then "Write selected item" while item is highlighed
    (10a) Check: repeat step 8 and verify it now reads 00
    (11) reboot and cross fingers.

I hope this is clear enough even without screenshots, and that I didn't miss any step, but hopefully adventurous and impatient people that cannot wait for cellzealot's zip will figure it out ;)

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you might do to your phone, or any other undesirable consequence, as a result of following these instructions.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Of course, in case it wasn't obvious, if you flashed your phone with the Telstra radio (or any other radio), you have to flash back the original verizon radio... I'd assume that if you were able to flash some radio on it, you are probably able to flash the original radio back, but if not, I can give directions for that as well.
    The zip file would be super convenient...

But, I'll try to give a brief step-by-step "cheat sheet" guide here. Not a real tutorial, sorry ... don't have time to go back and try all the steps, take screenshots, etc... for the "easy way" I'd wait for cellzealot ...

I installed the drivers for all the tools like DFS, QPST, QDXM, etc long long ago, not sure where but I think the ones from this thread should work:
    Drivers: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1891582&highlight=drivers
    Direct link: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1333751&d=1347903431

After installing the drivers, power off the phone, then hold power + volume up + volume down, and select "BT Tools" from the boot menu (press volume down until it is highlighted, then press volume up). Wait for the phone to boot, then plug it into the PC. It should recognize it and install a new COM port (if not, go to Start->Motorola->Mobile Drivers->Motorola Drivers Installer and see if that does the trick.. again, I installed these drivers long ago so my memory is a little rusty).

After installing the drivers, install DFS, I got it from this thread and it worked, you may get it somewhere else as well:
    DFS: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1876457
    Direct link: http://www.2shared.com/file/xBxUOnPz/DFS.html

(1) Make sure you still have the phone in BT Tools mode connected, and start DFS.
    (4) Click on the "Ports" button, double click on the newly installed COM port (for me it's called "Motorola QC Diag Port"), close ports manager
    (4a) Check: Make sure the port is selected in the drop down to the right of the "ports" button
    (5) In the main window, select "Qualcomm" on the DM drop down
    (6) click on SPC (leave code as 000000), make sure it says "DEVICE UNLOCKED" in the console at the bottom
    (7) click on NV tab
    (8) enter 8322 the "Start" field, and 8323 in the "End" field, then click "Read range"
    (8a) Check: It should show only one item called ITEM_8322
    (9) select the item ITEM_8322, type 00 replacing the 01 in the "Edit NV" box below
    (10) click "Apply changes", then "Write selected item"
    (10a) Check: repeat step 8 and verify it now reads 00
    (11) reboot and cross fingers.

I hope this is clear enough even without screenshots, and that I didn't miss any step, but hopefully adventurous and impatient people that cannot wait for cellzealot's zip will figure it out ;)

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you might do to your phone, or any other undesirable consequence, as a result of following these instructions.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Of course, in case it wasn't obvious, if you flashed your phone with the Telstra radio (or any other radio), you have to flash back the original verizon radio... I'd assume that if you were able to flash some radio on it, you are probably able to flash the original radio back, but if not, I can give directions for that as well.

These directions were perfect! I flashed my radio from the Aussie radio back to the default Verizon radio.
    I then changed the NV entry and BOOM! H+ data on StraightTalk (AT&T) - AMAZING! Unlimited Talk / Text / Data for only $45 bucks a month!

One thing - if you have windows 64bit OS, the driver above will not work (its only for 32bit OS) - follow these directions to get the Motorola COM Port:

under 7 64bit, when you connect the phone previously started in "BP tool" (android starts normally in this mode)

you will have in the device list windows, a device called "QC Interface". Right click properties. select "install the driver myself"

view the list of devices. go to "com port" and selécionnez manufacturer as "motorola" and "Motorola QC Diag Port" and remember the number of the COM port

Thank you so much to everyone for coming up with this solution - I was so close to pull the trigger on a DROID RAZR 1 this morning - so glad I didn't!

Next question I have - has anyone successfully gotten rid of the nagging "The SIM card is from an unknown source." messages?

WOW!!! This completely works folks!

Huge thanks to Arnold Snarb! Brilliant work!

I am currently on ATT with full HSPA+ service under the VZW modem after using DFS tool to edit 8322 to 00 as stated above.

I am also using an edited build.prop file that I have setup for GSM testing,and need to determine if those edits have any effect and also whether it works with stock build.prop and simply swapping SIMs is all that is needed to switch between normal VZW service and GSM service.

It is also possible that we can create a flashable zip for CWM recovery that can perform the NV edit without the need for a PC or Diagnostic Mode access tools.

This is really fantastic news and will almost certainly have implications for other devices as well.

Congratulations to Arnold Snarb and everyone else who has contributed to the investigation!

:D