How to stop marshmallow update?

Search This thread

gmjh

Dec 15, 2013
Marshmallow was automatically installed a couple of weeks ago and has no discernible improvements whatsoever and a whole host of problems (not least that the casting function is now either flakey or non existent and appears and disappears randomly) Because of the casting and dlna problems I want to do a factory reset and revert to lollipop. How can I stop the np automatically 'upgrading" to marshmallow? I know I have the option to turn off app auto updates on Google play but I can't see how to stop it installing marshmallow. Thanks very much.

OathYvne

Nov 19, 2014
Marshmallow was automatically installed a couple of weeks ago and has no discernible improvements whatsoever and a whole host of problems (not least that the casting function is now either flakey or non existent and appears and disappears randomly) Because of the casting and dlna problems I want to do a factory reset and revert to lollipop. How can I stop the np automatically 'upgrading" to marshmallow? I know I have the option to turn off app auto updates on Google play but I can't see how to stop it installing marshmallow. Thanks very much.
Google how to use auto starts app for ota updates

Reactions: prozack1983

GabbyWC

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Sideload the "My Android Tools" app which is available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wq.myandroidtools&hl=en. After it's installed on your Nexus Player, open and configure it as shown here by using a mouse but you will need root access for this to work.

Service >> System >> Search >> Google Play Services >> Disable SystemUpdateService.

Service >> System >> Search >> Google Services Framework >> Disable SystemUpdateService.

Reactions: Rawb0Ss and gmjh

gmjh

Dec 15, 2013
Ok. Will do. Thanks very much to both. It's a pity I can't do it without rooting it though (which I don't want do) So it looks like I have no choice but to have marshmallow installed which is crazy really.

Last edited:

OathYvne

Nov 19, 2014
Ok. Will do. Thanks very much to both. It's a pity I can't do it without rooting it though (which I don't want do) So it looks like I have no choice but to have marshmallow installed which is crazy really.

Yes, marshmellow is very buggy for me. I have constant error messages where it says this has stopped working, and external storage issues. Are you having the same issues?

gmjh

Dec 15, 2013
My issues are all casting related. Casting is non existent on Ethernet and buggy as hell on wireless. Dnla is also awful and frequently won't work under marshmallow. On my phone I deliberately don't update to a new os until all the problems are sorted. With the nexus player I'm given no choice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sideload the "My Android Tools" app which is available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wq.myandroidtools&hl=en. After it's installed on your Nexus Player, open and configure it as shown here by using a mouse but you will need root access for this to work.

Service >> System >> Search >> Google Play Services >> Disable SystemUpdateService.

Service >> System >> Search >> Google Services Framework >> Disable SystemUpdateService.
    Ok thanks. But I said I knew how to stop app auto updates. I'm interested in seeing if I can stop auto system updates. It's easy on a phone or tablet. I can't see how it's done on the np. Thanks.

Yes I know, you can stop system updates aswell,. ^ basically does what gabby said
    Google how to use auto starts app for ota updates