Sales

Search This thread

chuckiev79

Jul 29, 2012
I was just curious if anyone knew or has a link that would show how the relay has sold (units) worldwide? Especially versus other phones. I ask this because my hunch is that initially sales were slow for this phone, but I'm willing to bet sales have doubled or tripled since being offered to other countries.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

chuckiev79

Jul 29, 2012
I was just curious if anyone knew or has a link that would show how the relay has sold (units) worldwide? Especially versus other phones. I ask this because my hunch is that initially sales were slow for this phone, but I'm willing to bet sales have doubled or tripled since being offered to other countries.

And I have goggled this to no avail. ?

rad30n

Dec 30, 2011

This is the kind of data you never get... Manufacturers are more interested in doing curved-screen phones that nobody wants than having a single qwerty model.
I'm in Europe, where there haven't been new qwerty models for 2-3 years now, and I get people asking my about my phone all the time. There is a market, manufacturers just don't care...

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
This is the kind of data you never get... Manufacturers are more interested in doing curved-screen phones that nobody wants than having a single qwerty model.
I'm in Europe, where there haven't been new qwerty models for 2-3 years now, and I get people asking my about my phone all the time. There is a market, manufacturers just don't care...

This. A 100x this. I'm still rocking my Epic 4G for now, and I still get people asking me about my phone, what is it, where I got it from, etc. And I'm talking both here in the US and in Mexico. There is a market for it. I think the manufacturers, instead of listening to what consumers want, are trying to steer consumers in a certain direction. But if there was a keyboard version of the Galaxy S4 or Note 3 (and not some crappy bluetooth addon), I'd figure out a way to buy it asap, and so would a lot of other people.

But to answer the thread, that's a good question and something I've been wondering myself. This seems like a great mid-range phone.

jgummeson

Dec 9, 2011
Hadley, MA
I just got mine for $160 new on ebay, so I'm guessing the demand for the phone wasn't as big as they were hoping (it came in a sketchy opened Samsung box with no manual so it may actually be a refurb but still I'd say it should be selling for more than that since it's not that old). Kind of depressing because so far it seems like a really nice phone, aside from all the bloatware it comes with stock. Just really irritating how all the new phones coming out are pretty much all the same - thin touchscreen only phones with slightly varying sizes and specs.

chuckiev79

Jul 29, 2012
I just got mine for $160 new on ebay, so I'm guessing the demand for the phone wasn't as big as they were hoping (it came in a sketchy opened Samsung box with no manual so it may actually be a refurb but still I'd say it should be selling for more than that since it's not that old). Kind of depressing because so far it seems like a really nice phone, aside from all the bloatware it comes with stock. Just really irritating how all the new phones coming out are pretty much all the same - thin touchscreen only phones with slightly varying sizes and specs.

Agreed.

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
I'm in the market for a new phone and sadly I feel as though my QWERTY reign may come to an end. I've owned just about every gsm qwerty phone over the past 3 years and there's absolutely nothing to choose from anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy S Relay

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
I'm in the market for a new phone and sadly I feel as though my QWERTY reign may come to an end. I've owned just about every gsm qwerty phone over the past 3 years and there's absolutely nothing to choose from anymore.

I feel your pain. I've come to the conclusion that the Relay 4G may be the last qwerty phone I ever get myself. The only thing that can be done now is to develop a decent bluetooth keyboard/case, similar to what is available for the Galaxy S4.

image_11350.jpg

Bobby Tables

Sep 10, 2013
Chicago, IL
QWERTY isn't completely dead yet... T-Mobile is now offering LG's F3Q. That being said, I'd love to see a true high-end QWERTY, but I'm not holding my breath.

chuckiev79

Jul 29, 2012
I saw that, but its got almost the same specs as the relay, droid 4, and the photon q. ?

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
QWERTY isn't completely dead yet... T-Mobile is now offering LG's F3Q.

I'm not crazy about the color (blue? :rolleyes: ), but otherwise that seems pretty cool. I'll keep my eye on it. Looks like it will come out tomorrow.

That being said, I'd love to see a true high-end QWERTY, but I'm not holding my breath.

I saw that, but its got almost the same specs as the relay, droid 4, and the photon q. ?

Yeah I doubt we'll ever get a keyboard phone as powerful as an S4 or Note 3. That's why I think the answer is to make bluetooth keyboard peripherals. Though at least mid-range (i.e. affordable) keyboard phones aren't completely going away. I'm guessing the LG F3Q will be the new standard barer for [GSM] keyboard phones.

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010

It has a huge battery. specs look great. What most people don't realize is the specs have far exceeded our needs for some time now. So even a "basic" dual core is more than you'll ever need

Bobby Tables

Sep 10, 2013
Chicago, IL
It has a huge battery. specs look great. What most people don't realize is the specs have far exceeded our needs for some time now. So even a "basic" dual core is more than you'll ever need

I have the non-QWERTY F3, and the battery is amazing indeed. Even if I use the phone fairly heavily, it's rare for me to see the battery below 50% at the end of the day, and I often see it over 75%. It puts the lie to the whole "we can't put a big enough battery in it and make it replaceable" schtick that we keep getting from the likes of Motorola and Apple. I will not buy a phone with a non-replaceable battery.

The only real negative for the F3 is that it has very limited internal flash, but it does at least have a MicroSD slot. Some apps can be moved to the SD card, but others have the "Move to SD" button grayed out. My guess is that apps that (may) run services at startup can't be moved.

LitD

Sep 13, 2013
actually, the only thing i really dislike and would like to improve in relay is the terrible screen resolution. still, it was not enough to convince me to buy galaxy s4 with this keyboard

i wonder why samsung did not make a decent bluetooth/nfc keyboard for galaxy s4. many people would buy it and buy s4 - double profit at half cost

lg f3q - apart from the battery, specs are not really an improvement from samsung relay and the same terrible screen resolution. unimpressive

Last edited:

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
lg f3q - apart from the battery, specs are not really an improvement from samsung relay and the same terrible screen resolution. unimpressive

Actually there are improvements, just not as obvious ones.
The F3Q compared to the Relay has:
Bigger battery
Physically smaller size (even though screen is the same size)
Better graphics
Bluetooth 4.0
Better camera (supports 1080p)
Newer generation processor
Dual band wifi
And of course newer and shinier :)

These are all small differences alone, but they add up to a decent upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodimusConvoy

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
Bigger battery
Better graphics
Bluetooth 4.0

Dual band wifi

1080p is a big deal. I can't find anything about internal memory, though, but I would assume its at least the same as the Relay 4G.

Like I said, this may be the new standard barer for keyboard cell phones. Just wish it came in black.

LitD

Sep 13, 2013
Bigger battery
Better graphics
Bluetooth 4.0
Dual band wifi

These are all small differences alone, but they add up to a decent upgrade

cpu&gpu - i do not have enough data to directly compare msm8260a (relay) to msm8930 (f3g ? ). still, without bigger resolution the improvement may be difficult to notice. lower energy consumption maybe?
camera - i do not really care
bluetooth, wifi and battery are an improvement, but with the appalling 480x800 not enough to encourage me to upgrade.
improvement, yes, but still not impressive.

N

Nardholio

We're supporting Bluetooth 4.0 and upgraded wifi on CyanogenMod. The only thing that in my mind stands out about the F3Q is the better gpu, not for performance's sake (at 480x800 it's not gonna make much of a difference) but the fact that qcom is barely supporting the old gpu anymore (the drivers we're using on CyanogenMod are 9 months old, badly outdated)

The other thing is the F3Q is reputed to only have 1 gig of free internal storage (as opposed to 5 gigs on the Relay)

Reactions: RodimusConvoy

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
We're supporting Bluetooth 4.0 and upgraded wifi on CyanogenMod. The only thing that in my mind stands out about the F3Q is the better gpu, not for performance's sake (at 480x800 it's not gonna make much of a difference) but the fact that qcom is barely supporting the old gpu anymore (the drivers we're using on CyanogenMod are 9 months old, badly outdated)

The other thing is the F3Q is reputed to only have 1 gig of free internal storage (as opposed to 5 gigs on the Relay)

Ah ok. Yeah Internal Storage is a big deal, even with an SD Card. Thanks for putting things in perspective.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Bigger battery
    Better graphics
    Bluetooth 4.0
    Dual band wifi

N
    Nardholio

I found a manual for the F3Q (direct from LG):

http://tool.xcdn.gdms.lge.com/dn/do...f/RDL-1310-00182_LG-D520_TMO_UG_EN_131107.pdf

FCC ID is ZNFD520. Interesting how the model number is closer to the F6 (D500) than the F3 (MS659).

There's also a Chinese site where I found the restore ROM dump for it. On that site they clubbed it together with the Verizon Enact, so this phone is a twin of that. Not sure how legal is that one so I'll leave it out for now.

If anyone gets a root for the Enact, probably will work for this, that's my guess.