[ROOT] Superboot - Nexus 10 root solution

Search This thread

tf8art

Apr 20, 2010
Hi!
I've made steps from the first post and now my Nexus10 stucks on colorful X when booting.
Android 4.2.2, stock, bootloader was locked. Windows 8 64 bit.
What's the problem?

P.S. Sorry for bad English :)

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Hi!
I've made steps from the first post and now my Nexus10 stucks on colorful X when booting.
Android 4.2.2, stock, bootloader was locked. Windows 8 64 bit.
What's the problem?

P.S. Sorry for bad English :)

You should be able to get your device to boot up normally by clearing the cache in recovery. To do this first boot into recovery mode by holding the volume up and down plus the power button simultaneously, then you will be in fastboot mode, use the volume up button to select recovery and then press the power button to select recovery mode. The Nexus 10 should then reboot into recovery mode and you should see a dead Android lying on its back, to bring up the recovery menu press the volume up and power button simultaneous. Once the recovery menu appears scroll down using the volume down button to the option that says "Wipe cache partition", select it using the power button. After the device has finished wiping the cache partition select "Reboot system now". The Nexus 10 should now reboot normally and start up getting past the X logo.

Reactions: chvash

Homey

Nov 11, 2003
Norwich
Thank you Paul
This worked fantastically. I'm happy with stock at the moment but I need my N10 rooted. It's great to not have to wipe all my stuff for nothing!

Once again, thanks!

Last edited:

Gamer819

Jul 27, 2012
Ft. Worth
+1 to what Homey said! Brilliant piece of work here! Just purchased my tablet with stock 4.2.2 and this worked like a charm. I can't believe I was able to keep my stuff. Thanks again!

derfresh

Jan 22, 2011
hey guys.

paul, thanks for your work!
Does this method work even with an encrypted device?

tanks in advance!

Accidental

Nov 21, 2008
Hello everyone! I just got a Nexus 10 and am on the latest firmware as of June 5th, 2013 (w/ Android 4.2.2). I simply want to root it while keeping all of my data on it. If I use the method in the original post, do I have to worry about:

1) Losing data already on the tablet? (I spent a lot of time getting it set up to my ideal preferences)
2) Not receiving Google/Samsung firmware updates properly?
3) Any other side effects vs. a stock experience?

(My current need for rooting is to install Sixasis Controller to get my PS3 controller paired with my Nexus 10).

Last edited:

lKBZl

Mar 23, 2012
Barcelona
Hello everyone! I just got a Nexus 10 and am on the latest firmware as of June 5th, 2013 (w/ Android 4.2.2). I simply want to root it while keeping all of my data on it. If I use the method in the original post, do I have to worry about:

1) Losing data already on the tablet? (I spent a lot of time getting it set up to my ideal preferences)
2) Not receiving Google/Samsung firmware updates properly?
3) Any other side effects vs. a stock experience?

(My current need for rooting is to install Sixasis Controller to get my PS3 controller paired with my Nexus 10).
1) No, this doesn't do any wipe data / unlock bootloader, so no.
2) No, root doesn't make you not able to receive them. Just download root keeper, and once you wanna update the firmware, go into the app, press save su (it will backup the root, then you unroot your device with the app, update the firwmare, go into the app again, and you're rooted again). Updating the firmware without doing that will only unroot your device, nothing else.
3) No.

bilbonotry

Aug 21, 2008
easy !

Just rooted my 4.2.2 N10 with locked bootloader without any problem.
Thank you very much Paulobrien !

Edit : only primary user can use apps requiring root :(

Last edited:
Decided to give it a try and can confirm this method no longer works with 4.3, bootloader locked. Should still work fine with 4.2.

It does however seem to be able to install SuperSU 0.98 (updating to the latest one that works with 4.3 via Play store doesn't work), so I guess something works... Maybe updating it to the latest one in the root method will allow it to work again?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: f53825a2df09277f899b6738b3a059d5
    How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
    - WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P
    Just root 4.2.1, then use root keeper from market, you won't need to use this method again.

This will work fine with 4.2.2.

P

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Works great with [ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.72

OTA should work fine and likely stay rooted too.

P
    Thanks Paul and this works great with this new Naked Driver for people that are having problems getting this to work and connect to Windows box. :^}
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1998650

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Ive tried over and over again to follow the instructions on page 1 but seem to get no where I try to unlock the device using the fastboot-windows but that just flashes up cmd black box then vanishes instantly when i try the superboot-windows it just stays flashing waiting for device and goes no further. Any help would be appreciated.

nexus 10 info.

bootloader version MANTALJ12
    carrier info. NONE
    lock state. LOCKED.

Try the Naked driver I posted about to connect and make sure usb debugging is turned on...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1998650

I could root easily with bootloader locked.
    PAULY! YOU SWEET SON OOOOO AAA!!!

Confirmed, Locked bootloader WITH root access! No wiping, no issues, just pure stock Nexus 10 with root access! And too think everyone is saying that the patched exploit since 4.2.1 prevents this & forces >fastboot oem unlock - Not the case folks! On both a WalMart & a Play Store Nexus 10, I have rooted without unlocking & WITHOUT wiping.

FOr those having issues, the USB driver has thrown a few loops.

I find the best way is to manually delete your Android device from Windows Device Manager, then delete the drivers manually via USBDeview & then install the Nexus 4 USB driver or the Naked USB Driver. You have to install it to both the device & to the fastboot device, which means once while in the OS & once while in bootloader. To activate USB debugging for this, you need to go into setting/about device & tap "Android Version" 7 times. That will force show Developer options in the settings menu, where you can select "enable USB debugging".

One you have USB debuggin running & the new drivers installed, just click on Pauly's superboot-windows batch file or call it via cmd windows. Voila...You are unlocked & saved yourself an hour of re-installing apk's or waiting for new back ups via adb.
    Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: f53825a2df09277f899b6738b3a059d5
    How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
    - WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P

I almost asked if anyone could confirm that this works... then I saw that it was written by Paul O'Brien himself.

Awesome!

So this won't wipe anything at all, right?