LCD Contrast Test

Search This thread

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
This is the app I used to test: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=engn.test.screencolor&hl=en

Contrast - Black: Squares 6 and above are clearly distinguishable, 4 and 5 are just about visible
Contrast - White: All squares are distinguishable
Color Scale - Brightness: All squares are distinguishable
Color Scale - Saturation: Highest 4 squares are equally saturated on all but orange, light blue and grey

This is with an AUO panel and default white balance - I'm hoping someone with a JDI panel (or indeed another AUO) can weigh in with their observations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shebe7

ghtop

Oct 25, 2013
I have the JDI (Novatek) and confirm the same crushed black levels with Color Test and Display Tester - except that only 7 and above are distinguishable. White contrast and brightness are the same as yours, but color saturation tests vary between the two apps .... personally I trust Display Tester better, which shows blues only are moderately over-saturated.

The crushed blacks are definitely noticeable in dark scenes with or without X-Reality. The panel is quite warm compared to others, and the White Balance settings are somewhat useless since they involve an overlay filter, it seems, and so just darken the screen.

Reactions: Darkimmortal

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
I have the JDI (Novatek) and confirm the same crushed black levels with Color Test and Display Tester - except that only 7 and above are distinguishable. White contrast and brightness are the same as yours, but color saturation tests vary between the two apps .... personally I trust Display Tester better, which shows blues only are moderately over-saturated.

The crushed blacks are definitely noticeable in dark scenes with or without X-Reality. The panel is quite warm compared to others, and the White Balance settings are somewhat useless since they involve an overlay filter, it seems, and so just darken the screen.

Yeah not too happy with the white balance setting compared to voodoo/cm colour settings on my old galaxy s, but gets the job done for the most part. Call me crazy but I like it even warmer than default

And hopefully there will be some software improvements to the display in Kitkat

Last edited:

WasherUK

Mar 18, 2012
Manchester
Yes Louis has the best way, sorry for my late reply, only just got my screen back in. Mines a JDI

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

mcghun

Apr 14, 2014
Z1c black w9 telenor-hungary auo-panel (no "blue" problem)

To dark, the dark areas (too high contrast/gamma), dislike me...
But, good deep-black.

Automatic background light regulation not a good idea (automatic brightness: OFF, x-reality: OFF ).

- sorry my bad english -

Last edited:

aroy11

Apr 5, 2014
This is the app I used to test:

Contrast - Black: Squares 6 and above are clearly distinguishable, 4 and 5 are just about visible
Color Scale - Saturation: Highest 4 squares are equally saturated on all but orange, light blue and grey

This is with an AUO panel and default white balance - I'm hoping someone with a JDI panel (or indeed another AUO) can weigh in with their observations.

AUO Panel here. Results are pretty much similar in mine.
Color Scale - Saturation: The last 4 squares on the right end are clearly distinguishable for all except yellow and bluish green. Just about distinguishable for the green line.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that the INDOOR brightness level on the AUO panel is getting decreased by at least 4 levels on a scale of 100, when I put the slider to the lowest end and checked 'Adapt to lighting conditions'. You can see the difference very clearly by checking and unchecking the 'adapt to light' check box. Might save some battery during indoor use or ebook reading.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the app I used to test: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=engn.test.screencolor&hl=en

It says on the back of the screen

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk