WARNING! Do not update to 8.1 if your phone is CDMA

Search This thread

mgfootballer

Dec 29, 2010
Worked for me

I was able to reset my data and now everything but my hotspot on my Sprint Samsung ATIV S Neo is working. What I did was go to my dialing screen, put in ##72786# and hit ok twice. This reset all of my network settings. Next I connected to the WiFi and went to device self service and set it to activate. I let the process start and run for 3 minutes and then I just shut it down before it finished activating. I left the phone off for 5 minutes and when I turned it back on, my 4g was showing and I could browse the internet. My messaging works as well. the only thing left out of this is that my mobile hotspot will not configure. I can try to name it and enter a password but when I start to save it, nothing happens. Oh well, can't win them all.

I did ##72786# and pressed OK once. Reset my phone. Turned WiFi on. Went to Device Self Service and it reactivated itself. I am now able to use data. Havent tried MMS yet.

Apr 28, 2014
Fixed may be too strong. I think it'd be fair to say most of us now have data working, though some (myself included) still have no MMS capability with the 8.1 preview (and no carrier/manufacturer approved way of getting back to 8.0).

Apr 28, 2014
Sprint Samsung Ativ S Neo here. Not working. Still can't get MMS or data. :(

Sorry to hear that! If you want help, we're going to need OS and FW versions, as well as carrier. Not that anyone - much less me! - is promising that we can help. (My MMS is still down.)

I'd be willing to bet you did a factory reset at some point, right?

tonbonz

May 14, 2012
BFE
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Verizon MMS working on Ativ Odyssey

Update 4/16/2015 - Been playing around with this and checking registry files and found a simpler way: Open Celllular+SIM under Settings, toggle on manual APN, and set APN to vzwinternet andIP type to IPv4 leaving all other fields blank and then save. Click MMS APN and set APN to vzwinternet, MMSC URL to http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms?Vzw-MDN=YOUR 10 DIGIT PHONE NUMBER, Max MMS Size to 1200 and finally IP type as IPv4. Simple as that. If this doesn't work feel free to try the lengthy instructions below.

Got mms back on my Odyssey using these settings for Verizon. Make sure the APN app in Settings , not to be confused with apn app from Samsung, is set to vzwinternet. Open Celllular+SIM under Setting. Toggle data connection on and select "use cellular data." Click on SIM settings and set Mode selection to LTE, GSM, or UMTS, highest connection speed to 4g, and network selection choose auto or scan but make sure you connect to Verizon LTE in the notification window. After making a connection toggle on manual Internet APN and set APN to vzwinternet and IP type to IPv4 leaving all other fields blank and then save. Click MMS APN and set APN to vzwinternet, WAP gateway to mms.vtext.com, MMSC URL to http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms?X-VZW-MDN=(your 10 digit phone number; Ex 1234567890.) , and finally IP type as IPv4. Click save then close the Cellular+SIM app making sure you still have an LTE connection and are in LTE, GSM, UMTS mode. Now open the Messaging app and in it's settings there should be a blank windows for SMS service number. Add your 10 digit mobile number (ex: 1234567890) and click save but DO NOT close the Messaging settings page. Instead after saving your number do a soft reset using the power+volume down buttons. Not sure if this matters or not but it's what I did so DO IT!!! :D . After reboot, return to Cellular+SIM app and click once again on SIM settings and change Mode selection to LTE + CDMA and exit. If at first MMS fails try toggling Airplane mode, Data connection, or even a soft reset and double check your Internet and MMS APN settings. Working for me :victory:

Last edited:

schulzey3486

Apr 10, 2013
Sprint downgrade 8.0 windows ativ s neo

So I have developer preview on my windows 8.1 SPRINT Samsung Ativ S Neo. I was able to use a few tricks to get data working but I still have no MMS and this renders my phone near useless as I do a lot of group messaging and sending of photos and videos via text.

Is there anyway to downgrade back to windows 8.0 with the official version for sprint? I'm assuming my problems stem from a hard reset after upgarding to windows 8.1.

Apr 28, 2014
Hi Schulzey,

Only way to downgrade is to flash your rom, and they are good tutorials out there.

You are right - the hard reset is the culprit. (Happened to me, too). I've managed to get 8.1 DP on my Neo S, but I did have to do some manual programming.

Good luck!

NuAngel

Feb 8, 2010
Corry, PA
NuAngel.net
Ditto

For the first time having this phone (Sprint ATIV S Neo) I got myself into a situation where I needed to hard reset the device, and I have the Developer Preview installed. Now my phone is hosed. Called Sprint and requested APN information, their answer was "we provision over NAI and cannot give out the APN information." Asked if they could flag my phone and force the official 8.1 update just released this month to my phone, but Tier 2 support was completely unaware this exists, despite trying 3 different ways to guide him to the page on Sprint's own website that says it is available.

Took my phone to a store, they were unable to fix it. Attempted to order me a replacement, but the ATIV S Neo is no longer available. My choices were an HTC 8XT or a Galaxy S4. I love my Windows Phone, I really do, but the 8XT is painfully underpowered, so I opted for them to order me a Galaxy S4. If I can't fix my phone by Saturday, I have to go pick up the S4 when it arrives.

Please, PLEASE tell me there is some kind of way I can at least flash back to the factory default 8.0 ROM???

Apr 28, 2014
Howdy!
All of this sounds painfully familiar. I've been through the same thing.

Please, PLEASE tell me there is some kind of way I can at least flash back to the factory default 8.0 ROM???

Yep! You can flash back to the 8.0 GDR2 rom no problem.

This is not a fix, just a work around.

WARNING: Be careful, not my fault if you brick stuff, blah blah...

So, after fighting the problem and trying to find the data programming and debug settings that only an anonymous Sprint tech knows (held in some secure, secret location, I'm sure), I finally broke down and flashed back to stock GDR2 using instructions and tools from various users. One note: do not use a hub or front access ports to connect your phone, even if they are powered. The drivers may not detect the phone properly. Go old school and use the back/direct USB ports.

Problem was, that left me back with no voice roaming and a camera that crashed the phone fairly frequently.

So, I dev unlocked the phone to put a registry editor on the phone. I used Blue_Frog's registry tweaks to enable Voice Roaming. For jollies (and because I wanted a fix for the camera bug), I enrolled in the Dev preview. Only difference: I never did a factory reset. Now, after the patch preparing for the 8.1 RC, my data settings were erased. Interesting, no? But this time, when I added the MMS UserProfile Info and MMS URL manually using Data Programming, it saved the info!

I am now running the latest Dev Preview (8.10.14157.200 - actually a release candidate) and have a fully functional phone. Sadly, it took 9 months, and I know others have waited longer.

While far from ideal, I wanted to post this to help others AND to help my MNVO/MS/Samsung/Sprint pinpoint the issue. Again, my MNVO and MS have been supportive, at least - which is more than I can say for Samsung and Sprint. (Though there was one Sprint tech in a store I visited who at least understood what I was telling him - maybe he's on his way to a secret bunker as we speak!)

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted you to have all the info I have. If you need further explanation, let me know.

Apr 28, 2014
It's better than nothing. But I can't seem to find the ROM / flasher ANYWHERE? Certainly not on Sprint or Samsung's sites?

Oh yeah, you won't find it on Sprint or Samsung's sites and they will deny knowledge of it (most likely). But the flashers and rom are all over this forum. If you really can't find them here at XDA, then I'll see if I can put together (or find) a little packet or something for you a little later today/tonight.

Last edited:

NuAngel

Feb 8, 2010
Corry, PA
NuAngel.net
Maybe not...

But the flashers and rom are all over this forum.

Oh, darn, I was hoping it was an official factory reset. The closest thing I found was this GDR3 ROM, but one of the posts in the thread from the OP specifically says: "Automatic APN doesn't work! You should add apn in "mobile network" [GB] ("celullar" [USA])." Unfortunately, as I mention in my first post in this thread, Sprint will not give me the information and no resource I've found online seems to be accurate.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC 8X/8S
    HUAWEI W1
    Confirmed brick after 8.1 developer update with CDMA network.

Lumia 822 Verizon
    Confirmed no problem if you use GSM/WCDMA.

If you have already bricked your phone, try this:
    1.Power down phone by pressing Power button.
    2.Press Power button and Volume +/- button at the same time, phone will go to flash mode.
    3.Press Camera button for 5 seconds to power off your phone.
    4.insert a GSM/WCDMA SIM card in your phone and turn on phone.

It seems that 8.1 not compatible with CDMA SIM card.
    Verizon MMS working on Ativ Odyssey

Update 4/16/2015 - Been playing around with this and checking registry files and found a simpler way: Open Celllular+SIM under Settings, toggle on manual APN, and set APN to vzwinternet andIP type to IPv4 leaving all other fields blank and then save. Click MMS APN and set APN to vzwinternet, MMSC URL to http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms?Vzw-MDN=YOUR 10 DIGIT PHONE NUMBER, Max MMS Size to 1200 and finally IP type as IPv4. Simple as that. If this doesn't work feel free to try the lengthy instructions below.

Got mms back on my Odyssey using these settings for Verizon. Make sure the APN app in Settings , not to be confused with apn app from Samsung, is set to vzwinternet. Open Celllular+SIM under Setting. Toggle data connection on and select "use cellular data." Click on SIM settings and set Mode selection to LTE, GSM, or UMTS, highest connection speed to 4g, and network selection choose auto or scan but make sure you connect to Verizon LTE in the notification window. After making a connection toggle on manual Internet APN and set APN to vzwinternet and IP type to IPv4 leaving all other fields blank and then save. Click MMS APN and set APN to vzwinternet, WAP gateway to mms.vtext.com, MMSC URL to http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms?X-VZW-MDN=(your 10 digit phone number; Ex 1234567890.) , and finally IP type as IPv4. Click save then close the Cellular+SIM app making sure you still have an LTE connection and are in LTE, GSM, UMTS mode. Now open the Messaging app and in it's settings there should be a blank windows for SMS service number. Add your 10 digit mobile number (ex: 1234567890) and click save but DO NOT close the Messaging settings page. Instead after saving your number do a soft reset using the power+volume down buttons. Not sure if this matters or not but it's what I did so DO IT!!! :D . After reboot, return to Cellular+SIM app and click once again on SIM settings and change Mode selection to LTE + CDMA and exit. If at first MMS fails try toggling Airplane mode, Data connection, or even a soft reset and double check your Internet and MMS APN settings. Working for me :victory:
    Factory resetting the phone after changing a registry value is like demolishing your house after repainting it: not only will you not get a nicely painted house (or behavior-changed phone), you also will lose a lot of other stuff and make a ton of pointless work for yourself. I don't understand how people keep not getting this: hard reset wipes user registry changes!

Network profile updates should happen periodically. At worst, you might need to reboot the phone, or possibly use the cellular settings to try switching to a different network and then back, though simply switching Airplane Mode off and then on again would likely work, as would just waiting a day or so (tops; it shouldn't take that long).
    Was just checking in on things at @iknowsingh thread at the Microsoft Developer website.

They are asking for people with this problem to post logs so they can look in to it.

Head over HERE and read the last post.

Hopefully they will come up with a resolution soon.
    Would you be willing to post the settings? I am guessing that the issue may be partially related to APN settings being missing under Settings, Cellular+SIM, SIM settings. I read a post by someone on another forum who had the same data issues but fixed them by entering the APN information for his carrier. I've tried a couple of different APN settings that I've found out on the web for Sprint, but I'm not sure they are accurate. All I know is that they were missing when I checked them on my phone.

I would not mind at all! I went into ##3282# on his phone, selected 'view' then 'others' then 'MMSC URL' . The two pictures are attached, the order of the settings begins with the picture that says 'globalroaming@WAP'. The second pic is literally a continuation as it starts right where the first picture ends (I scrolled neatly!)

I've been trying to find the correct Sprint APN settings around the web, and a lot of sites have similar settings as options but either Windows Phone doesn't have enough fields for the settings, and the fact that in the APN settings on 8.1, it doesn't let me change the authentication type.

I noted on my coworker's ATIV S Neo that in his 'cellular+SIM' section, he doesn't have options to input APN like I do... the hard reset must've kicked the CDMA stuff in our phones to the curb.