[Q] Slate 7 Extreme root,flash question

Search This thread

crazyhacker202

May 15, 2014
Hi, I am a happy owner of the HP Slate 7 Extreme which is basically the same device as you guys are using.I am still on the 4.2 Jelly bean since HP are not pushing over the air updates with our devices.I want to use the script from the development forum "[Script] [Utility] Nvidia Tegra Note 7 Kitkat Unlock BL, Restore, Recovery, & Root", I want to know if anyone has tried to use it with the Slate Extreme or if it simply should work on the Jelly Bean aswell. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

mofared

May 16, 2014
What about the 4.3+ ?

i have not test that yet but i believe it should work because i have tested the 4.4.2 and 4.2.2 evga ROM from here using the cwm install from sdcard method..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627671

The only thing that puzzles me now is i am unable to perform a system recovery from HP update.zip using cwm.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=6608632#N147

So right now i am stuck with 4.2.2 evga ROM all is good and functional.

I have read some post that by updating OTA fix issue in 4.4 but i have no idea on how to get the OTA update.

p/s: This is my first tablet and root attempt...

edit:

i found out that rootjunky has already released the 4.4.2 with 2.3 OTA i will give it a try and feedback later

Last edited:

Robo_Leader

Mar 1, 2011
i have not test that yet but i believe it should work because i have tested the 4.4.2 and 4.2.2 evga ROM from here using the cwm install from sdcard method..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627671

The only thing that puzzles me now is i am unable to perform a system recovery from HP update.zip using cwm.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=6608632#N147

So right now i am stuck with 4.2.2 evga ROM all is good and functional.

I have read some post that by updating OTA fix issue in 4.4 but i have no idea on how to get the OTA update.

p/s: This is my first tablet and root attempt...

edit:

i found out that rootjunky has already released the 4.4.2 with 2.3 OTA i will give it a try and feedback later

First, nope, you'll still get freezing. I've tried all the ROMs.

Second, If you want to go back to HP's recovery, do the following:

1. Create a copy of update.zip and navigate to META-INF\com\google\android and open up updater-script
  2. Delete the first three lines.
  3. Transfer your new update.zip to your device and flash. Allow it to re-write the recovery partition.
  4. NOTE THAT YOUR DEVICE WILL NOT ADVANCE PAST THE BOOT ANIMATION. THIS IS NORMAL.
  5. Copy the original update.zip to a SD card and insert it into the device.
  6. Now go to the HP recovery partition that now exists on your device and follow HP's restore instructions.
  7. You're done, the stock 4.2.2 that came with your device is now installed.

Had to figure this out the hard way after I lost my original backup.

To the original poster, you can get it to work, but you need to make modifications to the script's fastboot commands (they will require "fastboot -i 0x03F0" before they will do anything) and you will need to setup your machine for ADB with the Slate 7 Extreme. It won't work out of the box, you can find support for that here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Android-Tablets-e-g-HP-Slate-7/ADB-drivers/td-p/2574571

Endosmok

Feb 28, 2013
There was an individual who has received the 4.4.2 update from HP on his Slate Extreme over at the HP forums. I believe he stated he received 20 units donated directly from HP and was wondering why only 1 of them received the update. I believe the reason stated is that he most likely received a non-retail unit by accident. Not sure if he ever dumped the ROM or even knows how. I don't know either otherwise I'd try to contact him to get him to do so.

Belmichel

Oct 16, 2007
Re-write recovery partition?

1. Create a copy of update.zip and navigate to META-INF\com\google\android and open up updater-script
  3. Transfer your new update.zip to your device and flash. Allow it to re-write the recovery partition.
  4. NOTE THAT YOUR DEVICE WILL NOT ADVANCE PAST THE BOOT ANIMATION. THIS IS NORMAL.
  6. Now go to the HP recovery partition that now exists on your device and follow HP's restore instructions.

To the original poster, you can get it to work, but you need to make modifications to the script's fastboot commands (they will require "fastboot -i 0x03F0" before they will do anything) and you will need to setup your machine for ADB with the Slate 7 Extreme. It won't work out of the box, you can find support for that here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Android-Tablets-e-g-HP-Slate-7/ADB-drivers/td-p/2574571

I did flash the modified update.zip but CWM doesn't give me the option to re-write the recovery partition. I go straight to "Install from sdcard complete". How is that re-write done?

*Update* All done - Had to select NO to questions on reboot (Replace recovery and root). Thanks so much - back to stock 4.2.2 :)

Last edited:

justjayhere

Oct 1, 2010

loner6996

Jul 15, 2010
What am I supposed to open updater-script with?

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 AM ----------

I downloaded a script editor and deleted the first three lines of updater script but it still fails to flash.

Last edited:

rwcasto

Aug 21, 2010
New River, AZ
Finally success!

I have the 4450 extreme and one the things that was a little different- is that I had put the update zip on the sd card prior and it did the update on its own... WEIRD but acceptable! rooted and on 4.4.2- thanks man!

mike-s

Jul 7, 2012
I didn't have any luck doing it this way. I ended up getting there by a slightly different avenue.

My s7e was totally non functional beyong fastboot and recovery mode being operational. I ended up downloading tegratools 2.2. Using the fastboot included in that I unlocked my boot loader with fastboot by the command
Code:
fastboot -i 0x03F0 oem unlock
(The '-i 0x03F0' is a code relating to the specific model, apparently without this the tablet will ignore your command. Please also remember that the unlock factory resets the tablet.)

It may be overboard again, but I also formatted all the system partitions
Code:
fastboot -i 0x03F0 erase boot 
fastboot -i 0x03F0 erase system 
fastboot -i 0x03F0 erase userdata 
fastboot -i 0x03F0 erase cache 
fastboot -i 0x03F0 erase preinstall 
fastboot -i 0x03F0 reboot

I uploaded cwm recovery from the above version of tegratools to my s7e as it seems a bit more forgiving with signatures than the stock recovery. I used that to upload a version of update.zip with the "assert" lines removed from META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script. I also self signed the .zip to reduce the likelyhood of my upload being rejected by the tablet, it may not be needed, but I did it anyway.
Code:
adb sideload slate7update-signed.zip

when completing the firmware flash, apparently there is a common problem of the kernel not flashing correctly when recovery takes place and giving an "Error 7", this is the problem I think you solved by re-writing the unmodified firmware (but that didn't work for me)

Anyway I had to fix it by dropping back to fastboot and flashing it to "staging", which puts the kernel in a placeholder until the next boot, at which point the kernel will be written to the correct spot. Because of this writing to the correct partition, you will notice a quick double-boot as the updated kernel is written to the correct point in firmware.
Code:
fastboot -i 0x03F0 flash staging "c:\fastboot-s7e\blob"

I hope this helps.
Oh and to those curious, the beats version appears incompatible with the standard s7e, I tried modifying a rom in the same way as above and it just went to a blank screen. My guess is they've done some form of sanity check in the kernel, given that every "beats" version I've read about in tablets has been a software-only modification. I've not bothered trying to use the beats version rom with the s7e kernel, I'll leave that for someone else to try in greater depth as I'm just happy that I got everything working again.

references:
Fastboot (previously this): This is a copy of the twrp/cwm roms as well as fastboot & adb taken from tegratools 2.2 mentioned above.
SignApk (Previously this): The java files and self signing certificate I used to sign the .zip file. It was actually a bit of a pain to find a working signapk.jar that had the valid certificates included, most were broken in one way or another when trying to sign on ubuntu 12.04.
slate7update-signed.zip (previously this): A signed copy of update.zip with META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script modified to remove the assert validation lines sanity checks, be careful with this, you could nuke your tablet if you use it on an incompatible bit of hardware.
guide.txt (previously this): A full how-to with a number of things I've omitted from this response.

To those wondering, I collated the above procedure from a dozen different links on a good four or five websites, including a number of threads here on XDA. Thank you to anyone out there that contributed to the information I found, you really made my day so much better in being able to recover my tablet.

Last edited:
Reactions: red_dragon7

red_dragon7

Jan 16, 2015
It Worked! But...

I didn't have any luck doing it this way. I ended up getting there by a slightly different avenue.

My s7e was totally non functional beyong fastboot and recovery mode being operational. I ended up downloading tegratools 2.2. Using the fastboot included in that I unlocked my boot loader with fastboot by the command
Code:
(The '-i 0x03F0' is a code relating to the specific model, apparently without this the tablet will ignore your command. Please also remember that the unlock factory resets the tablet.)

Code:

I uploaded cwm recovery from the above version of tegratools to my s7e as it seems a bit more forgiving with signatures than the stock recovery. I used that to upload a version of update.zip with the "assert" lines removed from META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script. I also self signed the .zip to reduce the likelyhood of my upload being rejected by the tablet, it may not be needed, but I did it anyway.
Code:

when completing the firmware flash, apparently there is a common problem of the kernel not flashing correctly when recovery takes place and giving an "Error 7", this is the problem I think you solved by re-writing the unmodified firmware (but that didn't work for me)

Anyway I had to fix it by dropping back to fastboot and flashing it to "staging", which puts the kernel in a placeholder until the next boot, at which point the kernel will be written to the correct spot. Because of this writing to the correct partition, you will notice a quick double-boot as the updated kernel is written to the correct point in firmware.
Code:

I hope this helps.
Oh and to those curious, the beats version appears incompatible with the standard s7e, I tried modifying a rom in the same way as above and it just went to a blank screen. My guess is they've done some form of sanity check in the kernel, given that every "beats" version I've read about in tablets has been a software-only modification. I've not bothered trying to use the beats version rom with the s7e kernel, I'll leave that for someone else to try in greater depth as I'm just happy that I got everything working again.

references:
Fastboot: This is a copy of the twrp/cwm roms as well as fastboot & adb taken from tegratools 2.2 mentioned above.
SignApk: The java files and self signing certificate I used to sign the .zip file. It was actually a bit of a pain to find a working signapk.jar that had the valid certificates included, most were broken in one way or another when trying to sign on ubuntu 12.04.
slate7update-signed.zip: A signed copy of update.zip with META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script modified to remove the assert validation lines sanity checks, be careful with this, you could nuke your tablet if you use it on an incompatible bit of hardware.
guide.txt: A full how-to with a number of things I've omitted from this response.

To those wondering, I collated the above procedure from a dozen different links on a good four or five websites, including a number of threads here on XDA. Thank you to anyone out there that contributed to the information I found, you really made my day so much better in being able to recover my tablet.

I was able to unlock my bootloader using the above method and it worked. My s7e rebooted and everything was working normally. I loaded the bootloader again to go in and do a cache wipe and my 3 year old bumped into me as I was holding down the volume+ and power buttons. Now I'm stuck in ADX mode (black screen but recognized by my pc, have tried connecting to charger, volume+ and power, volume - and power, nothing works) . I've read that Advent has released adx files for the Vega Note 7 and you can use Tegra Note 7 Super Tools to restore the Nvidia Note 7. I'm wondering if I can use the update.zip file and the nvflash files from Nvidia to restore my tablet from ADX mode.

Any suggestions?

som1special2

Nov 9, 2013
Mike-S, Thanks for the in depth how-to. I tried to sell my Extreme 4450 and the guy that I sold it to said when he received it was in boot loop. I got it back and it is indeed the one I sent him, however, now I have a bricked tab that doesn't even allow fastboot. I have, like others tried calling HP, tried installing per you instruction and finally considered just throwing away or selling. I almost seems like the recovery was wiped... I can get to uploading from SD and have tried using your info to accomplish with no success. Any suggestions? I hate to smash it or try and sell if I can fix it.

Thank you in advance for anyone's help

mike-s

Jul 7, 2012
however, now I have a bricked tab that doesn't even allow fastboot. I have, like others tried calling HP, tried installing per you instruction and finally considered just throwing away or selling.
Damn, I'm sorry to say that I'm unsure if i'll be able to help much or at all. All i can suggest is look and see if there is any pre-boot subsystem that connects to your pc via usb, similar to the mediatek "preboot mt65xx" which can sort of provide a last gasp chance of recovery.

peyups03

Oct 22, 2016
help with ROM

Hi there,

Need desperate help. I followed the instructions here but ended up with no OS in the s7e. I kept on trying to install a signed ROM via ADB, it reaches 100% senidng but always failed inside TWRP. Not succesful even with CWM. I even tried installing from SD card but no success. Please help, thank you.

MGrad92

May 11, 2017
Anyone still around here?

Mike S ... not sure you (or anyone else) is paying any attention to this thread anymore (and the HP Slate 7 Extreme at this point is a fairly old device) ... but I can't get any of these methods to work and my S7E (model 4450) is basically useless right now. When cold (i.e. not booted up in prior 30mins or so), I can boot it normally, but within about 10mins, it will "crash" to the all-white HP splash screen and will never recover. Holding the power button just has it go through initial startup, get to the white HP splash screen, and sit there until the battery runs down. I haven't been able to root it yet, so the bootloader still shows "locked". What's ironic is that this device is really all I need -- I don't play high-end games and mostly just stream shows -- but now it's completely unusable. I'm not sure which is easier ... trying to get this to root or just buying something else?

So far, to root, I've tried towelroot and Cydia Impactor, but both of those returned errors as others have reported. I tried following the steps that Mike S put up here, but without my tablet being rooted, adb and fastboot don't even detect my device from the PC (though the PC detects it because I'm able to see it in Windows Explorer and drag files to the storage) ... so it seems like I can't even get to install CWM or anything further.

Maybe the right thing to do is just to dump the paperweight ... it used to work so well but about 6 months ago this stupid HP white screen crash started happening, and since then it's become a regular thing that only takes about 10 mins (at most) before it craps out. I can get to the bootloader and onboard recovery mode, but that doesn't let me load anything.

Not sure where to go next but any advice would be appreciated!

--AJ

skoar

Jan 27, 2017
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Xiaomi Poco F3
Mike S ... not sure you (or anyone else) is paying any attention to this thread anymore (and the HP Slate 7 Extreme at this point is a fairly old device) ... but I can't get any of these methods to work and my S7E (model 4450) is basically useless right now. When cold (i.e. not booted up in prior 30mins or so), I can boot it normally, but within about 10mins, it will "crash" to the all-white HP splash screen and will never recover. Holding the power button just has it go through initial startup, get to the white HP splash screen, and sit there until the battery runs down. I haven't been able to root it yet, so the bootloader still shows "locked". What's ironic is that this device is really all I need -- I don't play high-end games and mostly just stream shows -- but now it's completely unusable. I'm not sure which is easier ... trying to get this to root or just buying something else?

So far, to root, I've tried towelroot and Cydia Impactor, but both of those returned errors as others have reported. I tried following the steps that Mike S put up here, but without my tablet being rooted, adb and fastboot don't even detect my device from the PC (though the PC detects it because I'm able to see it in Windows Explorer and drag files to the storage) ... so it seems like I can't even get to install CWM or anything further.

Maybe the right thing to do is just to dump the paperweight ... it used to work so well but about 6 months ago this stupid HP white screen crash started happening, and since then it's become a regular thing that only takes about 10 mins (at most) before it craps out. I can get to the bootloader and onboard recovery mode, but that doesn't let me load anything.

Not sure where to go next but any advice would be appreciated!

--AJ

Get your device drivers right (try androidsdk if it's still not getting recognised) and fastboot the stock system images (fastboot is not root dependent). By the way why were you trying those weird rooting methods ??? Just flash supersu from cwm/twrp and be done with it.

MGrad92

May 11, 2017
Thanks ... I'll try androidsdk. I actually am a root n00b and so I was trying to figure out the simplest way to go. I guess I guessed wrong! But of course before I can get that working I need the right drivers ... So I'll try that first. I was thinking the drivers were OK since my PC recognized the S7E when Android loaded (before it crashed to the white screen).

MGrad92

May 11, 2017
Couldn't get androidsdk to work

Hello again... I never could get androidsdk to work. My computer never recognized the tablet to be able to fastboot. *sigh* As much as I hate to give up, I don't know what else to do.... I might try another PC?

chainsawink

Mar 19, 2016
Looking for update.zip for S7E

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

I hope this helps.

references:
Fastboot: This is a copy of the twrp/cwm roms as well as fastboot & adb taken from tegratools 2.2 mentioned above.
SignApk: The java files and self signing certificate I used to sign the .zip file. It was actually a bit of a pain to find a working signapk.jar that had the valid certificates included, most were broken in one way or another when trying to sign on ubuntu 12.04.
slate7update-signed.zip: A signed copy of update.zip with META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script modified to remove the assert validation lines sanity checks, be careful with this, you could nuke your tablet if you use it on an incompatible bit of hardware.
guide.txt: A full how-to with a number of things I've omitted from this response.

Hey Mike, you wouldn't still happen to have that signed update.zip since you've don't have it on Dropbox anymore?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

Code:

Code:

Code:

I hope this helps.

references:
    Fastboot (previously this): This is a copy of the twrp/cwm roms as well as fastboot & adb taken from tegratools 2.2 mentioned above.
    SignApk (Previously this): The java files and self signing certificate I used to sign the .zip file. It was actually a bit of a pain to find a working signapk.jar that had the valid certificates included, most were broken in one way or another when trying to sign on ubuntu 12.04.
    slate7update-signed.zip (previously this): A signed copy of update.zip with META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script modified to remove the assert validation lines sanity checks, be careful with this, you could nuke your tablet if you use it on an incompatible bit of hardware.
    guide.txt (previously this): A full how-to with a number of things I've omitted from this response.

Hey Mike, you wouldn't still happen to have that signed update.zip since you've don't have it on Dropbox anymore?

They are still there, alas dropbox has made it so I need to hand out a pseudo link to each individual file rather than the "generic" linking I previously did, blah blah blah mandatory increase in security, blah blah blah. I was honestly wondering how long it was going to be until I was asked to correct this. As it turns out the answer is five months.

I'll try and amend the hyperlinks to reflect this & post them here once I have done so.

[edit]
    references:
    [/edit]