HTC one x at&t and google wallet

Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Google updated Wallet yesterday adding support for the EVO on Sprint and it's not even released yet. So...

1) Wallet would have to be updated to work on the One X.

2) AT&T would have to agree to carry Wallet traffic for the One X over their network.

Number one is within Google's control. With their investment in Isis, I can't see number two happening.

7216269572_b2de7ae007.jpg

Noodles5666

May 6, 2009
Philadelphia/Yardley
Google updated Wallet yesterday adding support for the EVO on Sprint and it's not even released yet. So...

1) Wallet would have to be updated to work on the One X.

2) AT&T would have to agree to carry Wallet traffic for the One X over their network.

Number one is within Google's control. With their investment in Isis, I can't see number two happening.

7216269572_b2de7ae007.jpg

This is false as the unlocked GNex works with GW on AT&T's network but the unlocked HOX doesn't. Google needs to get up to date on this.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
I'm pretty sure Wallet won't work because the AT&T One X doesn't have the NFC secure element (SE) that is required for the app to run. Can someone confirm?

I'm not sure if that's true. The realy problem is HTC One X is an AT&T branded phone. Google won't dare to add GW support without AT&T's consent. There is no techically reason why GW won't work with our One X. It's all about business.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
This is false as the unlocked GNex works with GW on AT&T's network but the unlocked HOX doesn't. Google needs to get up to date on this.

You're exactly right. The unlocked GN which is not an AT&T phone works with GW and the One X which is an AT&T phone doesn't. The reason the GN works is only because AT&T allows it to, I'm guessing under pressure from Google, MasterCard, Citibank, or some combination of the three.

Google can't make AT&T allow GW support on any of their branded phones. The international One X has a security token, is unlocked, and still can't connect to GW because AT&T's blocking it. And why would Google have updated GW for a phone that's not even out yet and not one in people's hands if they did intend to provide support for it? Sprint provides support for GW on all their NFC equipped phones. Sprint was also the carrier launch partner for GW in the U.S.

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/05/2...nging-nfc-payment-system-smartphone-near-you/

I think we're all pretty much screwed as far as being able to use GW on AT&T.

galfert

Apr 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I installed the latest version of Google Wallet 1.1-R63-V12 released a a couple days ago. This was the version that has the updates to support the EVO 4G LTE. It still doesn't work on our One X. Same error as before where it says the device has not been certified for our carrier/device.

The previous version was available for us in the Play Store, though it didn't work. The new version is not available from the Play Store. So I had to hunt down from another forum the new .apk. I guess it was all for not since it doesn't work. I'm documenting this so that others don't waste their time.

By the way my AT&T One X is rooted. I cleared the data and then uninstalled the old version first before installing the new version.

Last edited:

Evangelion01

Dec 25, 2011
You're exactly right. The unlocked GN which is not an AT&T phone works with GW and the One X which is an AT&T phone doesn't. The reason the GN works is only because AT&T allows it to, I'm guessing under pressure from Google, MasterCard, Citibank, or some combination of the three.

Google can't make AT&T allow GW support on any of their branded phones. The international One X has a security token, is unlocked, and still can't connect to GW because AT&T's blocking it. And why would Google have updated GW for a phone that's not even out yet and not one in people's hands if they did intend to provide support for it? Sprint provides support for GW on all their NFC equipped phones. Sprint was also the carrier launch partner for GW in the U.S.

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/05/2...nging-nfc-payment-system-smartphone-near-you/

I think we're all pretty much screwed as far as being able to use GW on AT&T.

This is STILL false. It is the One X which is not supported by google wallet. Even if you were to use a T-Mobile sim (T-Mobile allow their phones to run Wallet) in the One X, Google Wallet would still not work, because Google have not yet added support for the One X.

Also, it's not a case of at&t blocking Google Wallet traffic on their network, as you had previously suggested. Wallet does not actually need a data connection to complete transactions. The application simply checks the device ID and the sim network ID.

jonshipman

Jun 8, 2010
Moto Z3 Play
I still don't know why we need carrier support (One X on T-Mo). Can't it just use TCP/IP? Hell, Google should make it would on Sim-less devices over wifi!

LoveNFC

May 14, 2012
I still don't know why we need carrier support (One X on T-Mo). Can't it just use TCP/IP? Hell, Google should make it would on Sim-less devices over wifi!

The network agreements aren't for data. As mentioned above, Wallet does not need a data connection to make payments.

Google bends over for networks in America because they are the main distribution channel over there. These networks have their own NFC payment services being developed, so they don't want Google eating into their potential profits. Google always obeys because, unlike Apple, they don't have bargaining power. Google needs the networks to get their phones into as many hands as possible. The networks don't necessarily need Google.

This is part of the reason why Google are further exploring the option of selling their devices directly to consumers.

tehdef

Apr 30, 2012
ATX
Have a pending FCC complaint for anti competition relating to forced use on consumer. My example is windows bundled with IE and only recently providing browser choice. They called today and said they are investigating.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

galfert

Apr 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Have a pending FCC complaint for anti competition relating to forced use on consumer. My example is windows bundled with IE and only recently providing browser choice. They called today and said they are investigating.

I don't see how the FCC would have jurisdiction on this matter. Perhaps you should have called the FTC.

futuregerald

Jun 15, 2007
Bronx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All this and it doesn't work and you still didn't try it so you wouldn't know. This thread is hysterical. :D

Alright I tried it. It doesn't work. But that isn't the point. When the bickering started it was all triggered by your "Brilliant Rolleyes" comment preceded by your "You didn't even try it but post like you know it works." Well two things 1) I didn't post like I know it works ...I only referred people to have a look and I said that it "seems" like it works. That is a disclaimer!!! So no I didn't post like I know it works. 2) Secondly your "Brilliant Rolleyes" is rude

So I was wrong in my later comments but that was not my initial stand on the matter. but you were rude which is worse. So so is everyone else that contributed instead of being a little more pleasant.

Maybe we can all get along now and everyone should reflect and realize that if you attack someone that the initial reaction is to attack back....even if they are misguided. That is not a good way to behave....on both sides.

Paul O'Brien got it working for all versions of the HOX:
    https://twitter.com/PaulOBrien/status/207467919590957056

He said he should be able to upload the .apk tomorrow! Can't wait :)
    The FCC sued Verizon for blocking tethering applications on the play store. Hopefully they will step in on the wallet issue too.
    I don't think you know how to read, there are multiple posts in that thread (including my own) stating that it doesn't work.