Black screen of death

Search This thread

wigwam12

Feb 1, 2010
I have been having the same problem for the past 2 days and it is driving me bonkers.
I used to run MccM Sense 2 rom and it never happened.
Card died so I decided to find a non-sense ROM hoping it would be less laggy.
First couple days were fine but since yesterday and I have loaded up whatsapp, a couple of clock apps, JuiceDefender and Smooth Calendar to the CM9 [Dec 17, 2012] [NIGHTLY] CyanogenMod 9 [tytung HWA R3.6] [SD/NativeSD] ROM (normal SD method) and it has been SOD left right and centre needing 4 battery pulls in the past 2 days.

Will change the SD card but I need to find a solution too.

NYLimited

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 5, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
First couple days were fine but since yesterday and I have loaded up whatsapp, a couple of clock apps, JuiceDefender and Smooth Calendar to the CM9 [Dec 17, 2012] [NIGHTLY] CyanogenMod 9 [tytung HWA R3.6] [SD/NativeSD] ROM (normal SD method) and it has been SOD left right and centre needing 4 battery pulls in the past 2 days.

Will change the SD card but I need to find a solution too.

What is the "normal SD method"? Is your ROM installation completely on the card or is it in NAND or a combination of the two?

You need to test the card and maybe replace it, as you noted. If also in NAND you need to know about bad blocks and may need to increase the system partition size.

---
If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? (via Tapatalk)

wigwam12

Feb 1, 2010
The rom is completely installed on the SD card and runs via the HARET etc method.
I have always run my roms like this as when I am on call etc I need the stability for calls and switch back to WinMo

dkouzou

Feb 8, 2013
I was about to post this (below) when I noticed this thread about the Sandisk grey/red UHS-1 cards (which says class 10 on the packaging).
I try will try a class 6 card when I can find one.

Issue: I consistently get a SOD when Wi-Fi is enabled and connected. I guessing something is happening in the sleep state is not compatible with an active Wi-Fi connection although I am suspecting many kinds of activities are incompatible with sleep. My current work-around is to disable Wi-Fi connections while asleep and prevent sleep while charging.

I haven't seen this issue described yet for the current rom version (or I missed it) in the developer thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1930240) so I am posting it here. Has anyone else experienced this?

HD2 setup...
Rom: NexusHD2-JB-4.1.2-CM10 V1.3a, NativeSD installation
CPU Governor: Smartassv2 with 245/384 min MHz and 1075 MHz max (I've also tried "On demand")
SD card: Sandisk SD card (class 10, No bad blocks, 2048k cache) with 3 partitions (Fat32, Ext4, Unformatted (windows phone 7.8)).
HSPL: 2.08.HSPL
Radio: Leo_RADIO_2.15.50.14
Bootloader: MAGLDR 1.13

An additional minor issue, I noticed is that under "Advanced Wi-Fi settings" Wi-Fi region and "avoid poor connections" selections do not stick.

Last edited:

NYLimited

Jan 5, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
I was about to post this (below) when I noticed this thread about the Sandisk grey/red UHS-1 cards (which says class 10 on the packaging).
I try will try a class 6 card when I can find one.

I will be curious to see how it goes with that. Since you are running NativeSD it is all on your card, of course. Not certain why wifi specifically but I am wondering if the card is ever placed into 'sleep mode' for some reason by something..

darkie82

Jan 29, 2011
Yes, avoid Sandisk grey/red UHS-1 cards as they don't seem to be compatible with HD2.

My HD2 seems to be more stable now after a week on the 1.3a rom in nativesd.

Regards all

Reactions: NYLimited

dkouzou

Feb 8, 2013
I will be curious to see how it goes with that. Since you are running NativeSD it is all on your card, of course. Not certain why wifi specifically but I am wondering if the card is ever placed into 'sleep mode' for some reason by something..

The card currently giving me trouble is SanDisk Ultra 16 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 (SDSDQU-016G-AFFP-A) and it looks like I am going to have to go out and buy a new card. I read your SD card guide and learned more about microSD cards than I ever wanted to know. :good:
I've gathered that a good class 4 card can outperform a crappy class 10 and that Sandisk and Samsung produce good SD cards. I've also had good experience with Transcend in the past which are not tested in the linked benchmark tests..

Regardless, I am wondering if I can still use a "good" class 10 card (with no UHS rating) without trouble or should I just stick to class 4 or 6? I'll be limited by the local selection since I won't want to wait for mail.

Regarding why wi-fi, I'm guessing the phone perform certain functions with wi-fi while asleep. I also remember that calender events also produce SODs. I'm betting that NAND installations don't run into these problems although someone else will have to weigh in.

Last edited:

NYLimited

Jan 5, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
The card currently giving me trouble is SanDisk Ultra 16 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 (SDSDQU-016G-AFFP-A) and it looks like I am going to have to go out and buy one. I read your SD card guide and learned more about microSD cards than I ever wanted to know. :good:
I've gathered that a good class 4 card can outperform a crappy class 10 and that Sandisk and Samsung produce good SD cards. I've also had good experience with Transcend in the past which are not tested in the linked benchmark tests..

Regardless, I am wondering if I can still use a "good" class 10 card (with no UHS rating) without trouble or should I just stick to class 4 or 6?
(I'll be limited by the local selection since I won't want to wait for mail.)

Regarding why wi-fi, I'm guessing the phone perform certain functions with wi-fi while asleep. I also remember that calender events also produce SODs. I'm betting that NAND installations don't run into these problems although someone else will have to weigh in.

Although I do not recommend the Sandisk Ultra cards, especially for the older phones, if one was to buy one it should be one with the product number ending in A11A" (like SDSDQY-032G-A11A or SDSDQUA-064G-A11A).

How well or poorly they, or a Class 10 card might perform depends on the device. The older the device the less likely that a Class 10 will perform well. HTC HD2s we definitely not designed for Ultra cards, for example. Some of the newer devices will handle Class 10 much better although it remains questionable how well they can perform since much of their strength is based on sequential access.

In most cases a good Class 4 or 6 card performs as well for Android.

Reactions: dkouzou

dkouzou

Feb 8, 2013

I was able to find a 16GB PNY, class 4, around here. SODs are gone, but the phone seems sluggish in comparison to before.
I will have to look online for a decent class 6.

Kaschparl79

Oct 21, 2009
I was able to find a 16GB PNY, class 4, around here. SODs are gone, but the phone seems sluggish in comparison to before.
I will have to look online for a decent class 6.

I had the same problem (SOD) till my Android (MccM MixTheme Miui 1.11.11 V1.1) completly denied booting. Had a older backup and tried another card (16GB class 6) an got SOD next morning with working alarm clock. Even calls I can answer with SOD.

Greetings form Germany

dkouzou

Feb 8, 2013

Interestingly, going back to the my Sandisk, class 10, and downgrading my rom to ICS (tytung's), also solved the SODs.

edit: I've been using this configuration for 12 hours and although much more stable, it isn't 100% (ie... three spontaneous reboots under load but no SOD yet... maybe an OC setting?). I update this post when I know more.

edit2: It's not an OC setting. It's a symptom of the SD card issue that NYLimited mentioned. Downgrading to my class 4 card also solves it.

Last edited:

dkouzou

Feb 8, 2013

The Sandisk, class 6, card I ordered was "upgraded" to class 10 by the seller. :silly: However, the product number does end in "A11A" I will post if an SOD appears again using NexusHD2-JB-4.1.2-CM10 V1.3a - tytung's JB. It currently seems more stable than I remember it.

edit: SODs still present... although less often.

Last edited:

Pezza4u

Jan 15, 2010
The card currently giving me trouble is SanDisk Ultra 16 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 (SDSDQU-016G-AFFP-A) and it looks like I am going to have to go out and buy a new card. I read your SD card guide and learned more about microSD cards than I ever wanted to know. :good:

Regardless, I am wondering if I can still use a "good" class 10 card (with no UHS rating) without trouble or should I just stick to class 4 or 6? I'll be limited by the local selection since I won't want to wait for mail.

Interesting, looks like I've found the problem with my SOD issues, I have the same card - this one. It's worse with some ROMs than it is with others so put it down to them rather than the card itself. I thought buying a class 10 would mean Android will run faster.

I installed a new ROM last night and have had no SOD so far but if I do need a new card would this one be ok?

NYLimited

Jan 5, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
Interesting, looks like I've found the problem with my SOD issues, I have the same card - this one. It's worse with some ROMs than it is with others so put it down to them rather than the card itself. I thought buying a class 10 would mean Android will run faster.

I installed a new ROM last night and have had no SOD so far but if I do need a new card would this one be ok?

That card should work well in most devices. Class 10 cards nay work reliably in some devices and not so in others. But regardless, they were designed for sequential access. For additional info please read the SD thread in my signature.

---
Be careful about reading health books, you may die of a misprint...

meaow

Apr 27, 2008
Hi there,

Well I guess I have found the troublemaker, who causes the immense ammount of SODs on my HD2.
I was using an SanDisk Ultra micro sdhc 32GB (dual color) Class10 card. After I replaced the SanDisk with an Transcend Class6 Card the SODs seemed to be gone for now.

Greetings.

Well I agree with 2 faces. My HD2 got black screen everyday since I start using nativeSD. I tried a lot of suggestions such as increasing minimum CPU speed, deleting low memory killer, fresh install few version of ROMs and etc. All the suggestions are not solving the problem

Finally i replace the Sandisk Ultra micro sdhc 16GB uh1 to Transcend 16GB class 10. SOD is gone... finger crossed.

awadakrm

Jun 5, 2010
Sandisk 32GB Class 4

Thanks for this thread
I had a 32GB Kingston sd class 4 which was very slow for sd roms (slow to the point that it's not fucntionable at all)
So I 've decided to buy a 32 Sandisk class 4 (coz I read many positive review regarding this sd)
With this SD the native sd roms are fast but I have BSOD
I have tried many roms with different builds with the same BSOD (I tried even with 6.1 WM)
Now I converted 4ext to 3ext I'll see if I have it
Edit. the BSOD with 3ext
Back to Nand

so my question is:
Is there any one having Sandisk 32 Class 4 is running native sd rom without SOD?:confused:
Many thanks

Tmobile
Duttys_HD2_3.16_WWE_MSVC_5.23163.5.3.14_Legacy_Cont
Sandisk 32 class 4
4 gb ext3
NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10 V1.5 [NativeSD]

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

Well I guess I have found the troublemaker, who causes the immense ammount of SODs on my HD2.
    I was using an SanDisk Ultra micro sdhc 32GB (dual color) Class10 card. After I replaced the SanDisk with an Transcend Class6 Card the SODs seemed to be gone for now.

Greetings.
    Yes, avoid Sandisk grey/red UHS-1 cards as they don't seem to be compatible with HD2.

My HD2 seems to be more stable now after a week on the 1.3a rom in nativesd.

Regards all

The card currently giving me trouble is SanDisk Ultra 16 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 (SDSDQU-016G-AFFP-A) and it looks like I am going to have to go out and buy one. I read your SD card guide and learned more about microSD cards than I ever wanted to know. :good:

Regardless, I am wondering if I can still use a "good" class 10 card (with no UHS rating) without trouble or should I just stick to class 4 or 6?
    (I'll be limited by the local selection since I won't want to wait for mail.)

Although I do not recommend the Sandisk Ultra cards, especially for the older phones, if one was to buy one it should be one with the product number ending in A11A" (like SDSDQY-032G-A11A or SDSDQUA-064G-A11A).

How well or poorly they, or a Class 10 card might perform depends on the device. The older the device the less likely that a Class 10 will perform well. HTC HD2s we definitely not designed for Ultra cards, for example. Some of the newer devices will handle Class 10 much better although it remains questionable how well they can perform since much of their strength is based on sequential access.

In most cases a good Class 4 or 6 card performs as well for Android.

The Sandisk, class 6, card I ordered was "upgraded" to class 10 by the seller. :silly: However, the product number does end in "A11A" I will post if an SOD appears again using NexusHD2-JB-4.1.2-CM10 V1.3a - tytung's JB. It currently seems more stable than I remember it.

edit: SODs still present... although less often.