Terrible battery life on stock. What to choose?

Search This thread

imranh101

Jul 2, 2012
So, after having a half dozen different android phones (see sig) the Nexus 4 **** out on me so I had to sell it for $100 and get.... an iPhone... Because it was the cheapest smartphone I could find ($60 on craigslist)... Used it (painfully) for about 2 months before some guy on craigslist decided to trade me an S3 for it!!! I'M BACK TO ANDROID! AND NEVER FELT BETTER!

Only one thing I miss... I had 2-3 day battery life on the ****Phone, but my S3 is hardly giving me a whole day. I put my phone in my pocket at 80% at 7 AM this morning. Between 7 AM and noon, I used the phone for TWO messages on hangouts and to check the time about a dozen times. Down to 60% at noon. Then went for a long car drive and checked my phone and sent another 2-3 messages and was down to 50% battery life. Took about 20 pictures and 10 seconds of video and put it back in my pocket. Around 4PM, battery is at 15%.

So all in all, 2 hangout messages, 5 texts, 10 pictures, 10 seconds of video, and 8 hours of idling took around 70% of my battery.
I'm considering grabbing an Incipio Offgrid battery case (had one for my ****Phone that brought it up to a week of battery life) but still that will probably not be doubling my battery life.

Is there any specific ROM you can suggest that I should use to get very good battery life?
I've been using AOSP/Stock/CM ROM's on all my Android phones for about a year and it's getting old, for that sole fact I actually am liking TouchWiz better, but I'm open to options. I mostly use my phone to text and browse the internet/reddit, not a whole lot of gaming or video watching.

t3tr1s_

Oct 8, 2013
Individual mileage may vary. I would recommend trying out ROMs instead of asking, after all, could your battery get any worse?

imranh101

Jul 2, 2012
Individual mileage may vary. I would recommend trying out ROMs instead of asking, after all, could your battery get any worse?

True. I was looking at the battery, wondering if, since I got the phone used, the battery might be worn or getting old from use. Maybe not a bad idea to pick up a new Ankher battery or something (though I'm not wanting any of the extended ones with the bigger back.)

I'm trying to decide between an extended battery case like a Mohpie or Incipio Offgrid which obviously makes the phone a whole lot bigger, or a slimmer case, with a Wirless Qi charging pad...