[Q] Motorola Flipout rooted. How to apps2sd?

Search This thread

ghostwheel

Feb 5, 2008
The Motorola Flipout is fairly easy to root, at least now. Universal Androot (get it here) works.

I am thinking about moving apps to the sd card. However, since I haven't reflashed the phone, and I don't have a ROM for it, I'd like to do it without reflashing. Is that possible?

If I partition an SD card correctly (ext3), copy all of /data onto that partition, and then mount that partition over /data, will that work? Or do I have to mount the card before the phone boots?

Or is it better to just copy /data/data, and mount the partition over /data/data?

It seems to me that mounting over a directory, as opposed to creating a link is least invasive, because on reboot the phone is as it was before. Is this right?

If I have to mount the sdcard before the phone boots, can I just edit one of the init scripts, or is that more complicated? I read about editing init.rc and repacking boot.img

Oh, HOWTO unpack edit and repack boot images seems to give good instructions. On the Flipout, boot is mtd4, and recovery is mtd5.

If I only modify boot, I can't brick my phone too badly? Since I haven't changed recovery, I should be able to recover (?). Can I create an update.zip that flashes the old boot.img and undoes my changes in case something goes wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kainous

Aug 31, 2008
I just got the flipout from rogers.. Is there anyplace that has a development forum for it? And does it have the efuse ? If it does, is it possible to do what was done with the droid X to it?

flusshd

May 7, 2009
Paris
You use App2Card.apk at below for app2sd without flash:

http://www.tinhte.vn/f280/app2card-2-4-4-20-9-cai-dat-ung-dung-len-nho-phan-vung-456586/

Requires: just a rooted phone

Steps:
- install app
- click Menu / Partition button then use slide bars to create ext2 for your sd card if it hasn't been splited yet
- click Install App2card button
- phone will be rebooted and you just taste app on sd after then

Note: above page has further instruction but it is vietnamese, you must use google translate to get it. This app runs perfectly on my Milestone.

Sent from my Milestone using XDA App

adlx.xda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 4, 2010
Madrid
The Motorola Flipout is fairly easy to root, at least now. Universal Androot (get it here) works.

I am thinking about moving apps to the sd card. However, since I haven't reflashed the phone, and I don't have a ROM for it, I'd like to do it without reflashing. Is that possible?

If I partition an SD card correctly (ext3), copy all of /data onto that partition, and then mount that partition over /data, will that work? Or do I have to mount the card before the phone boots?

Or is it better to just copy /data/data, and mount the partition over /data/data?

It seems to me that mounting over a directory, as opposed to creating a link is least invasive, because on reboot the phone is as it was before. Is this right?

If I have to mount the sdcard before the phone boots, can I just edit one of the init scripts, or is that more complicated? I read about editing init.rc and repacking boot.img

Oh, HOWTO unpack edit and repack boot images seems to give good instructions. On the Flipout, boot is mtd4, and recovery is mtd5.

If I only modify boot, I can't brick my phone too badly? Since I haven't changed recovery, I should be able to recover (?). Can I create an update.zip that flashes the old boot.img and undoes my changes in case something goes wrong?

Hi,

I'd really like to help with that (I'm a confirm dev. for Cliq and CliqXT phones).
Hopefully we can do great things like we did for Cliq and CLiqXT (upgrade to 2.1!). (check my work at http://bit.ly/adlxmod).

First thing would be to generate a system dump (a dump of all the files in the /system partition). Hopefully we then could generate a custom recovery to flash on the phone, and then custom roms, either base on the dump you provide or other roms from other files. Contact me on twitter @adumont (say it's for Flipout) and I'll guide you to generate the dump!

Looking forward to do great things for that litle phone!

Sakem

Aug 3, 2010
I'm in touch with adlxdum to give him my dump but I think we should start a separated thread like "Custom rom, modding (work in progress)" so that we can follow adlxdum work.

And...thx in advance ;-)

ghostwheel

Feb 5, 2008
You use App2Card.apk at below for app2sd without flash:

http://www.tinhte.vn/f280/app2card-2-4-4-20-9-cai-dat-ung-dung-len-nho-phan-vung-456586/

Requires: just a rooted phone

Steps:
- install app
- click Menu / Partition button then use slide bars to create ext2 for your sd card if it hasn't been splited yet
- click Install App2card button
- phone will be rebooted and you just taste app on sd after then

Note: above page has further instruction but it is vietnamese, you must use google translate to get it. This app runs perfectly on my Milestone.

Sent from my Milestone using XDA App

Worked!

I couldn't repartition the SD card with the program, so I had to partition it myself. But once that was done, thing seem to work well. A bit slower...

I'm not totally sure how to use the app. Internal seems to still be full, but ext2 on the SD is quite empty. I can't seem to be able to tell if an app is installed to internal or external.

I have to try and install some more apps to see if I run out of memory.

Thanks!!

MrShides

May 11, 2009
I'm guessing the flipout and charm are almost identical phones?

My wife has a charm and i'm one of those "i'm not a developer, but I'd like to help" guys.

ghostwheel

Feb 5, 2008
I'm guessing the flipout and charm are almost identical phones?

My wife has a charm and i'm one of those "i'm not a developer, but I'd like to help" guys.

Yes, I think they are very similar.
One thing that I'm interested in is the accelerometer. On the Flipout, most apps that use it are twisted - for example wikitude, and many games (labyrinth lite works!) I wonder if things work on the charm...

longlife_01

Nov 16, 2010
Hi ghostwheel

I've tried installing app2card, but I'm having some problems. I got the new version 2.7.2.
As you said, the partition doesnt work. For me it says sd card is full but its empty...
How did you manually partition it?
I've found some tutorials but it was for other phones and they required a custom rom...

longlife_01

Nov 16, 2010
Wow great link! Many different options! Will try this as soon as I get a micro sd card adapter. Thanks!

You mentioned in your old post that you were having problems using app2card, That you weren't sure if it was working. Have you been able to use it since? Is it working well? and if not have you found an alternative?

I just started using this phone and I'm almost running out of memory... this is quite annoying!

ghostwheel

Feb 5, 2008
You mentioned in your old post that you were having problems using app2card, That you weren't sure if it was working. Have you been able to use it since? Is it working well? and if not have you found an alternative?
!

Yes, I was having problems. Mainly when restarting the phone, sometimes oodles of apps don't work, including launcher pro, and app2card. You have to remember that when the phone reboots and seems to have FC problems, don't chose any home screen as the default, in case it crashes, and keep a spare app2card to reinstall on the sdcard. I think "severe" problems I had only twice, or so.
So, I have almost no problems. Most of the time it works really well. So well, in fact, that I'm a bit afraid to upgrade it, in case something breaks. And, I totally forgot what it is like to have to delete apps to install another one. :D
I have more of the opposite problem - finding an app among all those installed takes a realllly long time if you forgot its name. Apps organizer helps.

ghostwheel

Feb 5, 2008
OK, I am having some problems with the current version of app2card. As I said, sometimes when I turn the device off and back on, app2card fails, and many apps give a FC which starting. Then one needs to fix the apps from app2card. It seems that once that is done, some apps lose some of their data. So, for example, droidwall (excellent program!!), lost all firewall data. I'll have to check if newer versions of app2card don't have this problem. It doesn't happen very often.

leighj

Jan 9, 2006
Instructions to root Flipout

Hi - I'd consider myself a newbie regarding rooting. I just got the AT&T Flipout - I really like the form factor. I just tried running the Universal Androot from my phone but got the security warning message about only being able to install from trusted sources.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks!

melenko

Nov 24, 2009
it says that with a lot of apps installed like that, including gmote that I downloaded from the developers site. Just look at what you're downloading like you would on any machine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi
    I have an Orange UK flipout which has been debranded with the standard UK rom. I have rooted with universal androot and installed App2card. I formatted the microsd in windows using Easeus Partition master (standard 2g one as fat 16 one as ext2(tried ext3 as well). When I try app2card it fails to mount the ext partition. I am using version 2.9.3(only version I found on the site). I get incompatible kernel messages. Any ideas or a link to an earlier version to try ?

Try link2sd - works great. google it.

You just need two partitions (keep them both fat).
    First, try without reflashing:

put the app2card apk file on the sd card, start quickoffice. Quickoffice starts a file manager. Go to the sd card, and open the app2card apk file, install it.
    Now app2card should start without a problem, and you can continue from there.

I had problems with version 2.7.9.1, and went back to 2.5.0. I think that they are not compatible with each other - when I restored a 2.5.0 backup with 2.7.9.1, I didn't see any app, but then when I put 2.5.0 back on, the apps appeared again. loglife_01 seems to have success with 2.7.8, which looks almost identical to 2.7.9.1

If all this fails, you can always reflash - look at the reflash guide.