[HOW-TO] Repartitioning the NC back to 1GB/data, 5GB/media

Search This thread

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
No it would not read the update file. Before I tried the 1.2, I did try doing the 1.4.3 directly, I was able to register and read books and magazines but no apps from BN would work. I ran the ManualNooter5 and couldn't get the market to update to Play Store or to be anything but partial, so I gave up on it and wiped to try the 1.2.

So that is why it is saying not compatible. Too old of a system (1.2). And if it won't update you have no choice but to go directly to 1.4.3.

Sent from my Nook HD+ Running CM10 on SD

Reactions: Nora D

Blondie72903

Dec 29, 2012
So that is why it is saying not compatible. Too old of a system (1.2). And if it won't update you have no choice but to go directly to 1.4.3.

I have already tried going directly to 1.4.3 and i still can't get the bn apps to work and after running the manualnooter, the market doesn't update to the play store and none of the fixes have worked to make it full, so no apps whichever stock I use, BN or android. That is my dilemma, no matter what I do it's not working, even though I seem to be doing it right as you confirmed earlier, so I am lost and stuck with a non working nc unless I want to fully root it I suppose...

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I have already tried going directly to 1.4.3 and i still can't get the bn apps to work and after running the manualnooter, the market doesn't update to the play store and none of the fixes have worked to make it full, so no apps whichever stock I use, BN or android. That is my dilemma, no matter what I do it's not working, even though I seem to be doing it right as you confirmed earlier, so I am lost and stuck with a non working nc unless I want to fully root it I suppose...

Well, I know you tried it, try again. It is supposed to work. If you don't want to try again, give up.

Blondie72903

Dec 29, 2012
Well, I know you tried it, try again. It is supposed to work. If you don't want to try again, give up.

I will try again. I just needed to know it is supposed to work and I am doing it right, so hopefully eventually it will work. Do I ever need to run your repair partition 2 zip? That is something I have not done yet. Thanks again for your help.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I will try again. I just needed to know it is supposed to work and I am doing it right, so hopefully eventually it will work. Do I ever need to run your repair partition 2 zip? That is something I have not done yet. Thanks again for your help.

It won't hurt to run that, but I doubt it will help with the issue you are having.

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
mailpen.com is still available !!!

The links in post #1 seem to be dead. Mailpen.com is unavailable.

mailpen.com is indeed still available; 1.5 years after my initial post, it still gets over 100 downloads a week. Are you running software that blocks "suspect" web sites? Someone in the same netblock, but with a different IP address than the server, was caught spamming, and some "clever" anti-virus software thinks the whole IP address range is suspect.

Reactions: MrPib and webyrd

martian21

Sep 12, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Need some help with vold.fstab on JB

I've just been using my Nook as an e-reader for the past year or so however I've recently upgraded my camera and have decided to dedicate my Nook to my camera bag since it can control my DSLR and I can mount SD cards to it with an adapter.

I've updated to Jelly Bean however I'm having trouble with my /etc/vold.fstab file. Previously I modified my Nook's partition table to remove the /emmc (mmc8) partition and increase the /data partition to use the recovered space. Original post is here. Obviously this comes with the side effect of not being able to mount the now non-existent /emmc partition. On Gingerbread ROMs I could easily remedy the issue by simply commenting out the line to mount /emmc in /etc/vold.fstab as follows:

Gingerbread vold.fstab:
Code:
## Vold 2.0 Barns and Nobel Encore

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...> 
## label        - Label for the volume
## mount_point  - Where the volume will be mounted
## part         - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.0/mmc_host/mmc1

## nookcolor has two fat32 partitions, p1 is boot p8 is internal storage, so we have to specify here
#dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 8 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc0

## USB storage device
dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/musb_hdrc

Note the # in front of
Code:
dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 8 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc0

However when I comment out the line for mounting /emmc on Jelly Bean ROMs I end in a boot loop. Going with the stock vold.fstab it boots fine but I get the warning "Damaged SD card" (as expected).

Jelly Bean vold.fstab:
Code:

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1

## nookcolor has two fat32 partitions, p1 is boot p8 is internal storage, so we have to specify here
#dev_mount emmc /storage/sdcard0 8 /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/mmc_host/mmc0

## USB storage device

Does anyone have any idea why this doesn't work and it there is any way to successfully tell it not to mount /emmc?

Martian21

les02jen17

Jun 10, 2011
Manila
Please forgive me for being off topic. I was just wondering what are the requirements to build a cwm-flashable zip that can modify the partitions? I would like to do it on my phone (It's called a Cherry Mobile Flare, a Karbonn A9+ mobile clone). It's just that the /data partition of that said phone is just 512MB, whereas the whole internal memory is 4GB. I'd like to be able to do it. Can you please teach me how? :(

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Please forgive me for being off topic. I was just wondering what are the requirements to build a cwm-flashable zip that can modify the partitions? I would like to do it on my phone (It's called a Cherry Mobile Flare, a Karbonn A9+ mobile clone). It's just that the /data partition of that said phone is just 512MB, whereas the whole internal memory is 4GB. I'd like to be able to do it. Can you please teach me how? :(

You need to be careful using this technique on other phones. The Nook Color uses a dos style partition table (MBR) and many phones use a GPT partition table. So what Dean and I do with the fdisk tool works but may not on another phone. You need to do some research as to how that phone is partitioned. There are tools available to let you partition GPT phones, but takes some knowledge. If you find out, let me know and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my HD+ running CM10 on SD with XDA Premium

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

I've just been using my Nook as an e-reader for the past year or so however I've recently upgraded my camera and have decided to dedicate my Nook to my camera bag since it can control my DSLR and I can mount SD cards to it with an adapter.

I've updated to Jelly Bean however I'm having trouble with my /etc/vold.fstab file. Previously I modified my Nook's partition table to remove the /emmc (mmc8) partition and increase the /data partition to use the recovered space. Original post is here. Obviously this comes with the side effect of not being able to mount the now non-existent /emmc partition. On Gingerbread ROMs I could easily remedy the issue by simply commenting out the line to mount /emmc in /etc/vold.fstab as follows:

However when I comment out the line for mounting /emmc on Jelly Bean ROMs I end in a boot loop. Going with the stock vold.fstab it boots fine but I get the warning "Damaged SD card" (as expected).

Does anyone have any idea why this doesn't work and it there is any way to successfully tell it not to mount /emmc?

Martian21

I have noticed the same thing on my Nook HD+. Emmc media on that device is handled much differently that the Color and I was trying to modify the vold.fstab for CM10 on that. When I commented it out, it bootlooped. And since the HD+ emmc media cannot be mounted with vold when enabled, it gives the damaged SD message. The developer (our verygreen of Nook Color fame) fixed our emmc mounting issue in the initialization code. But commenting out the emmc vold line still produces a bootloop. So I don't know what your solution is. Maybe mount emmc with the same device as sdcard?

Last edited:

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011

Gingerbread vold.fstab:
Code:

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.0/mmc_host/mmc1

#dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 8 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc0

## USB storage device

Note the # in front of
Code:
dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 8 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc0

Jelly Bean vold.fstab:
Code:

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1

#dev_mount emmc /storage/sdcard0 8 /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/mmc_host/mmc0

## USB storage device

Martian21

Note the use of sdcard in the first two mounts... try copying the first (sdcard1) line... then comment out the original and change the copied line to sdcard0 and see if that don't work... of course you'd have to change the emmc line to sdcard1 or comment it out...

You could also just try switching the sdcard# in both existing lines... then it shouldn't give you an error... just likd sdcard1 don't give an error when sd card is not in... it is trying to populate sdcard1 without sdcard0 being populated.

martian21

Sep 12, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
It works!

Thanks Leapinlar and DizzyDen! mapping the emmc mount to the SDcard worked perfectly.

For anyone that cares my vold.fstab is now:

Code:

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount emmc /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1

## USB storage device

les02jen17

Jun 10, 2011
Manila
You need to be careful using this technique on other phones. The Nook Color uses a dos style partition table (MBR) and many phones use a GPT partition table. So what Dean and I do with the fdisk tool works but may not on another phone. You need to do some research as to how that phone is partitioned. There are tools available to let you partition GPT phones, but takes some knowledge. If you find out, let me know and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks. Is there an android app/windows app that I can use to find out how my phone is partitioned? Is there a command in adb that can somehow show it? Thanks in advance! :D

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks. Is there an android app/windows app that I can use to find out how my phone is partitioned? Is there a command in adb that can somehow show it? Thanks in advance! :D

Try this in ADB shell.

fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

That may or may not work. Fdisk is the dos version tool. It will give you a list of the partitions if mbr(dos) version.

Reactions: les02jen17

les02jen17

Jun 10, 2011
Manila
Try this in ADB shell.

That may or may not work. Fdisk is the dos version tool. It will give you a list of the partitions if mbr(dos) version.

Okay, so what I did, I connected the phone via adb wireless, then ran:

adb shell
This appeared:
Then, I did:
shell@android:/ $ fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0
This appeared:
/system/bin/sh: fdisk: not found

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Okay, so what I did, I connected the phone via adb wireless, then ran:

adb shell
This appeared:

Then, I did:
shell@android:/ $ fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0
This appeared:

Well, that could mean two things, one, you do not have busybox installed on the phone or two, the phone does not support mbr. Try installing busybox from the Play Store. Of course the phone must be rooted to do that.

Can you run a CWM on it? Usually if you do ADB while CWM is running, it is rooted. Try that command while connected to ADB and running CWM.

les02jen17

Jun 10, 2011
Manila
Well, that could mean two things, one, you do not have busybox installed on the phone or two, the phone does not support mbr. Try installing busybox from the Play Store. Of course the phone must be rooted to do that.

Can you run a CWM on it? Usually if you do ADB while CWM is running, it is rooted. Try that command while connected to ADB and running CWM.

Ok, well I was rooted when I did it, but just to make sure, I installed busybox using jrummy's Busybox Installer. I then redid the steps I've taken before, using adb wireless. It gave me the same results. I don't have CWM on my phone, but I can boot my phone into a working CWM image using fastboot, thats how I rooted my phone, flashing SuperSU via CWM, without totally removing the stock recovery. I'll let you know if I can come up with anything. Thank you so much, leapinlar! :D

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Ok, well I was rooted when I did it, but just to make sure, I installed busybox using jrummy's Busybox Installer. I then redid the steps I've taken before, using adb wireless. It gave me the same results. I don't have CWM on my phone, but I can boot my phone into a working CWM image using fastboot, thats how I rooted my phone, flashing SuperSU via CWM, without totally removing the stock recovery. I'll let you know if I can come up with anything. Thank you so much, leapinlar! :D

Well saying you used fastboot tells me you probably have GPT partitions. Do some web searching and reading about that kind of partitioning. Not sure you are going to have much success using our techniques.

les02jen17

Jun 10, 2011
Manila
Well saying you used fastboot tells me you probably have GPT partitions. Do some web searching and reading about that kind of partitioning. Not sure you are going to have much success using our techniques.

Okay... I'd see if I can google a bit more about it. Just out of curioustity...why do you think I'm not likely to have success using your technique? :confused:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Okay... I'd see if I can google a bit more about it. Just out of curioustity...why do you think I'm not likely to have success using your technique? :confused:

Because we have MBR partitions. I just sent you some links by PM.

Edit: What Dean and I are doing with our zips is sending commands to fdisk to delete and recreate new partitions followed by using some other utilities to format them. Fdisk does not work on GPT partitioned devices. But there is a similar tool called gdisk that will. That is what I sent you the links for.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do not quote this message. When information in this message changes, I can change this message, but not the quoted copies.

As many of you know, the newer Nook Colors come with a partitioning that allows 5GB of space (/data -- ext3 partition) for apps and B&N books/etc, and 1GB of space (/media -- FAT32 patition) for user side-loaded content. The older Nooks had the reverse: 1GB for /data, and 5GB for /media.

I first documented a manual process for reverting the newer B&N partitioning back to the old partitioning, here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13971291&postcount=110 Upon several requests, I have automated it here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14047474&postcount=129

Someone in that thread requested that I repost the information here, so that it could be "pinned". Therefore, I have reproduced and expanded that information here (I now regard the above thread as dead for this purpose).

Caveats:
    • You must have ClockworkRecovery installed on the Nook Color, or on a bootable SD card which accesses the Nook.
    • You must backup everything you wish to save, or archive it on the B&N site, because this will clear all your data on the device:
      • /data partition (0p6)
      • /cache partition (0p7)
      • /media partition (0p8)
    • The following partitions will not be touched:
      • /boot partition (0p1)
      • /rom (configuration) partition (0p2)
      • (hidden) recovery partition (0p3)
      • /system (whichever operating system you have) partition (0p5)
    • If you have added additional partitions (eg, via "internal dual boot": http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=959461 -- unlikely, given an existing 5GB/data partition), you must uninstall/remove them first.
    • The usual non-warranties apply.
    The following are installed in the usual manner using ClockworkRecovery installs.
    1. Download and copy to an SDcard, ONE of the following repartitioning install packages:
    2. Also download and copy to an SDcard, the following install package: http://www.mailpen.com/download/nook/reformatData-v1.zip
    3. Boot into ClockworkRecovery with the above SDcard inserted in the Nook Color.
    4. Install the repartition package from the SDcard, to repartition /data (0p6), /cache (0p7), and /media (0p8).
    5. Mandatory REBOOT into ClockworkRecovery.
    6. Install the reformat package from the SDcard, to reformat (and clear) /data (0p6), /cache (0p7), and /media (0p8).
    7. If you backed up the B&N "/data" partition, then you should be able to restore and continue without reregistering, but don't count on it (you may have to reregister).

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Martian21

I have noticed the same thing on my Nook HD+. Emmc media on that device is handled much differently that the Color and I was trying to modify the vold.fstab for CM10 on that. When I commented it out, it bootlooped. And since the HD+ emmc media cannot be mounted with vold when enabled, it gives the damaged SD message. The developer (our verygreen of Nook Color fame) fixed our emmc mounting issue in the initialization code. But commenting out the emmc vold line still produces a bootloop. So I don't know what your solution is. Maybe mount emmc with the same device as sdcard?

I can't fathom why anyone would intentionally revert the partitioning... Do any of you guys actually use the /media storage? 1G is way more than enough for books, and more space in /data is good if you play lots of games.

The newer partition scheme was absolutely preventing me from installing ROMs on the eMMC. They'd flash, but they wouldn't boot. Sure, I could install and boot Cyanogen off a MicroSD card, but then I've tied up my MicroSD slot (since the root filesystem is now on it), and lost potential storage space.

The biggest killer for me with that was that the solution I used wouldn't let me boot into Clockwork to do backups/restores. All I could do was trigger a script that would flash and then remove any ZIPs that matched either the Cyanogen or gapps filename format. Not really acceptable for me, because I'm paranoid and love my backups.

Now I can install Cyanogen the same way I install it on my Eris, recovery works like it should, and everything else is right in the world.
    Back to the future

... How can I repartition it to 5GB/Data and 1GB/media? Please please help. Thanks a million!
    For the repartitioning step in the original post, use:

http://www.mailpen.com/download/repartition5GBdata-v1.zip

Then do the reformat as well, as described in the original post.
    mailpen.com is still available !!!

The links in post #1 seem to be dead. Mailpen.com is unavailable.

mailpen.com is indeed still available; 1.5 years after my initial post, it still gets over 100 downloads a week. Are you running software that blocks "suspect" web sites? Someone in the same netblock, but with a different IP address than the server, was caught spamming, and some "clever" anti-virus software thinks the whole IP address range is suspect.