[Problem] Front Facing Camera

Search This thread

skrapi

Dec 31, 2010
Cardigan
Hey all, I've just noticed that my front facing camera has got half the lense covered by what looks like the shutter. ..... I haven't dropped the phone or anything either...

Any advice on what I can do? Thanks

skrapi

Dec 31, 2010
Cardigan
It's getting worse.
4ypavuse.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

X

xtechx

ya mine acquired this issue between yesterday and today. and it's half way across the lens. I was on a video call yesterday. it's almost like it got warm and something shifted and is stock over top of it now...................... I'm hella impressed to say the least :rolleyes:

I haven't dropped my phone either. it's in an element case recon pro. yesterday was the first time using my front facing camera. was in a hangouts video call for about 20 minutes. now this. wtf..\\

mine is one of the made in china variants, not made in korea. first time I've had one from china, all other 8 of my samsungs galaxy s or note phones have been from korea...

Last edited:
X

xtechx

Mine is right across the middle.

Sent from my SM-G900M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

D

Deleted member 4436221

Had the same thing happen to me.

Didn't drop it or anything. Getting it replaced by warranty.

If you rooted you can always get third party insurance.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xtechx

Had the same thing happen to me.

Didn't drop it or anything. Getting it replaced by warranty.

If you rooted you can always get third party insurance.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I bought mine from Expansys. I had to change roms just to get LTE on the LTE model. so I voided my warranty by default. They offered to swap the handset, but I think they don't realise the g900m they sell doesn't ahve lte enabled, even after the OTA update. so I get to live with it. It's slowly shifting. eventually it will be away from the image sensor

I just really hope it's nothing to do with the water resistance. I'm already considering this may last samsung phone after 9 different galaxy s/note phones... luckily I don't typically bring it in water with my so it's not that big of a deal, but if it does happen and it leaks there.. samsung will be dead to me.

X

xtechx

Mine was literally in the middle yesterday. So maybe by tomorrow it will be clear again. It's definitely related to heat. Either that or it wasn't glued in the first place.

Attachments

• 1403019990727.jpg
    1403019990727.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 162
X

xtechx

It started at the top like the other images I see. Yesterday I could see image on either side of the shifting piece, but it was literally dead centre.

*boy*racer*

Jan 11, 2011
I had the same problem when I had the note 3. In the end I took it apart then peeled off the rubber ring and placed it back around the front camera correctly. Was pretty easy. Not sure on S5 though. If you have warranty, use it.

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

X

xtechx

I had the same problem when I had the note 3. In the end I took it apart then peeled off the rubber ring and placed it back around the front camera correctly. Was pretty easy. Not sure on S5 though. If you have warranty, use it.

ya, I've been debating about doing this tbh. I've changed glass before in other peoples' phones.. but I always had a new piece to replace the broken piece.. basically a spare.. I dont' have a spare if I mess up heh. ya I'll probably do this later. and maybe re-glue it lol...

Last edited:
X

xtechx

I'm going to try this now heh.. will report back shortly. I took a look at a video online and it appears that the ring is accessible once the glass is removed...

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

so I just took that little o-ring out. wtf is it there for? lol, it was almost off the lens anyway. I only pried it open enough to get a needle in and take the ring out, I didn't take the whole thing off. I doubt it's as water resistant but who knows...

ADDITION: so it appears to narrow the field of view slightly. I don't take selfies, I may have a hangouts video call once a week (usually on my computer, but if I'm out I'd like to be able to do this..). I notice if my finger goes over the edge of the top of phone (but not over lens) it pics up my finger, where as it wouldn't have before.. big deal. I'd rather not have to take it apart again, so the ring is gone lol.

I hit it with the hair dryer once after pressing it down... going to do it again shortly, its' completely cooled. just hitting it again to be on the safe side. didn't cause any damage to phone so was rather easy just make sure to be patient. I had pry tools from old phones, but I wouldn't recommend taking the entire glass off with it...

Last edited:

*boy*racer*

Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for getting back to us and telling us how you got on.

X

xtechx

You're welcome!

Top Liked Posts