[NEW] PIM Backup v2.8 [NEW]

Search This thread

dotfred

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2005
Near Brussels, Belgium
www.dotfred.net
PIM Backup v2.8(Release date 20 Jan 2008)

- fix for keeping old files when value is 10 (schedule options)
- fix for subfolders having same name as folders under root (messages restore)
- fix for the delimiter selection when restoring contacts from csv file (contacts mapping fields)
- fix for "add only new messages" when restoring binary backup (messages restore)

more infos on www.dotfred.net

TODO:

MMS Backup/restore doesn't work!

- fix problem with mms "attachments" which are stored on disk but are not considered as attachments in the cemail.vol (wonderful!)
Arcsoft MMS software uses own-defined properties (blobs) in pmailMsgs table in cemail.vol but I cannot decipher them for the moment.

- conversion of text backups <-> binary backups

Version 2.7:

In 2.6, the backup/restore thread priority has been diminished so it took less resources during the task, and so other programs could continue to work properly. The problem is that a backup/restore task could take much more time to end. This has been changed by adding this feature as parameter, and so it can be changed manually by the user.

Version 2.6:

- fix bug in binary restore of contacts (birthday overwritten by anniversary)
- fix bug in binary/text restore of appointments (status, reminder not correct)
- fix bug in zip utility => unicode compliant
- fix bug in restore of tasks (wm2003se only) for (partially) undated tasks
- fix bug in restore of messages (only messages from an unknown account are discarded)
- fix bug in csv contacts import (csv coming from another application)
- fix bug in restore of speed dials (wm6 only)
- added restore custom files individual selection

Version 2.5:

- fix bug in binary backup of appointments containing recipients
- fix bug in binary/text custom files backup
- added rename old file option in custom file restore

Version 2.4:

- fix a crash bug during restore of a text backup for messages having no
subject
- fix a bug in scheduled backup
- add one instance only

Version 2.3:

- fix for notes in wm2k3
- add more error messages in case of backup/restore failure

Version 2.2:

- fix for messages backup problem that causes wm2k3 pda's to soft-reset
- fix for custom files not found in list in csx backup file

Version 2.1:

- fixed bug introduced in hex fields in text backup in v2.0
- add a custom backup functionality for specific files, folders or file types.
- changed some cosmetic things in the layouts
- fixed some minor bugs
- fixed bug in binary task binary backup

Version 2.0:

- added escape character in text, so the parsing of csv text works in all cases.

CAUTION, a bad parsing can still appear for backups made in earlier versions.

- added binary backups for fastness and reliability. (A tool will be provided in the future to allow to convert text backups to binary backups and vice-versa).

- schedule problem fixed.

- added UNC folders names for default folders (inbox, outbox, sent items, drafts, deleted items) in messages, so the restore could be done on a device having another language.

- fixed the problem of messages stored in folders at the same level as Inbox

- creation of temporary backup files can be either in memory or in the backup destination folder.

Version 1.9:

- fix bug in all day recurring appointments restore
- fix bug in non recurring tasks restore
- restore for "add only new..." option should go faster
- remove empty files from \Windows\Messaging

Version 1.8:

- fix problem of lost records (csv parser has been redesigned)

ADVICE: In WM6 if you have to restore call logs, do it separately especially if you have a lot of them, because cprog.exe (phone application) will take all the cpu to rebuild the links between contacts and calls, so this is not good for the rest of the restore.

Version 1.7:

- fix for crashing bug during restore of contacts or messages

Version 1.6:

- Yomi included for contacts (not tested, need confirmation on this)
- fix for call logs in WM6 (allynm)
- fix appointments load (leo ramik)
- fix problem for messages load (same as appts)
- fix csv parser bug (last one, I hope)
- fix problem with speeddials restore (WM6 only) (it is slow, but it works) (work around provided by dan1967 (thanks!))
- fix for appts restore (_vint)

Version 1.5:

- fix toolbar bug (wm2003se only)
- fix sms backup bug (wm2003se only) (carolos)
- fix schedule bug (ebliss)
- fix birthday bug in contacts (gambit999)
- fix csv parser bug (exel07)

Version 1.4:

- fix a bug found in backup/restore of messages in WM2003SE (choas)
- fix a bug concerning exclusions of folders in backup of messages (faria)

Version 1.3:

- fix a bug found in restore of call logs backup under WM6 (backup made on WM6 only) (faria)

Version 1.2:

- fix a bug found when handling unicode files with chinese character set (Sipher)

Version 1.1:

- fix a bug in CSV parser (borjok536)
- added option verbose in main menu (allynm) (the status list is less updated without verbose)
- added SystemIdleTimerReset to avoid that the pda is suspended during the backup/restore process

Description:

This tool has been made in order to replace the PPCBckpContacts application.
As its predecessor, PPCPimBackup allows to backup/restore the Personal information of the pocket pc user, but new functionalities have been added.

This tool allows to backup/restore:

- appointments
- call logs
- contacts
- messages (SMS, Mails, ...) NEW !!! :D
- speed dials
- tasks

Restore contacts:

It is possible now to restore a text file containing contacts backed up from other applications, like in Outlook Express, the only constraint is that the first line should contain the fields and the fields need a separator. (See screenshots). The tool allows to map default fields to fields found in the file. It is possible now to insert duplicates.

Backup messages:

The mail database is completely parsed to retrieve all the messages stored in every directory and subdirectory. It is possible to select which account and directories should be backed up. You can save attachments as wel if they exist on the pocket pc.

Restore messages:

Same as the backup, you can select which account and directories should be restored to the device. Caution, if an account doesn't exist on the pocket pc, this application will discard the messages that belong to that account.

Restore appointments:

There was a bug in PPCBckpContacts where appointments with the same name on different dates weren't restored. This should be fixed in this tool.

Schedule backup:

It is possible to schedule a backup, each day of the week and this at a specific hour. If the pocket pc is suspended, it will wake up and do the backup. You can eventually control the number of backups to keep and switch off the pocket pc after the scheduled backup is finished.
The schedule backup creates a notification that can be cleared via the Options Menu.

File types:

There is only one file type now, which is .pib (Personal Information Backup), in fact it is just a zip file (so you can open it with a zip application) which contain the different text files used in PPCBckpContacts, so you can still extract these files, edit them on a pc using Excel or Notepad and eventually restore them without putting them back in the .pib file.

This is the first release, it has been tested on WM4.2, WM5 and WM6.

Comments, bugs, suggestions are welcome.

Yours sincerly,

.Fred

Screenshots:

ppcpimbackup.gif

Use notice:

The exe contained in the zip file, should be copied and launched on the pocket pc, and not on a pc.
If you have any comments, bugs report, suggestions, problems, then you could send them to this address dotfred@dotfred.net, I will carefully consider them.

Attachments

• PPCPimBackupV2.8_wm2005.zip
    168.9 KB · Views: 188,911
  • PPCPimBackupV2.8_wm2003se.zip
    169.7 KB · Views: 12,585
Last edited:

mestrini

Jul 4, 2006
Lisboa
Restore appointments:

There was a bug in PPCBckpContacts where appointments with the same name on different dates weren't restored. This should be fixed in this tool.

I just hope this will finally allow me to move from one aku version to another :rolleyes: without installing M$ Outlook

Tx for your effort m8

PS:
Did you manage to reproduce the "different versions in same device" error?

Last edited:

baniaczek

Jul 1, 2005
Warsaw
Another great tool. Thanks. Even contact pictures were restored.
BTW. My pim.vol was reduced in size: 788kb => 508kb (restore into empty pim.vol). The reason is clean and fair.
Thanks again.

mestrini

Jul 4, 2006
Lisboa
I'm still having a problem with appointments and not sure if it's caused by your program or another one of M$ "gifts". The error is that appointments with never ending patterns don't appear after the actual day although the data in each appointment is correct :confused:

baniaczek

Jul 1, 2005
Warsaw
Suggestion

1. Consider backup/restore program settings.
2. Command line switch -AutoRestore dirName would be nice. This should restore everything from the latest backup from specified directory. Restoration process should be aborted if one/any/all databases are not empty - to avoid accidentally use. This command line switch could be used during autorun after hard reset. I think -AutoRestore should copy program itself somewhere into main memory to allow scheduled backups (if settings would be restored too) - storage card is not alway inserted into PPC.

:)

dotfred

Dec 30, 2005
Near Brussels, Belgium
www.dotfred.net
I'm still having a problem with appointments and not sure if it's caused by your program or another one of M$ "gifts". The error is that appointments with never ending patterns don't appear after the actual day although the data in each appointment is correct :confused:

I will take a look, honestly I didn't go into deep testing for appointments...

Cheers,

.Fred

dotfred

Dec 30, 2005
Near Brussels, Belgium
www.dotfred.net
1. Consider backup/restore program settings.
2. Command line switch -AutoRestore dirName would be nice. This should restore everything from the latest backup from specified directory. Restoration process should be aborted if one/any/all databases are not empty - to avoid accidentally use. This command line switch could be used during autorun after hard reset. I think -AutoRestore should copy program itself somewhere into main memory to allow scheduled backups (if settings would be restored too) - storage card is not alway inserted into PPC.

:)

1. Can you be more specific on this topic
2. I suppose that this part is linked to point 1. I will think about this.

Cheers,

.Fred

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
Does that mean that,

1. PIM Backup from AKU3.x can be use in WM6?

2. PIM Backup from AKU2.x can be use in AKU3.x?

3. PIM Backup from WM5 can be use in WM6?

4. PIM Backup from WM2003SE can be use in WM6?

5. PIM Backup from WM2003SE can be use in WM5?

6. Any missed combinations?

Last edited:

gunigugu

Apr 18, 2006
Melbourne, Vic
Looks like a neat lil piece of software.

I'm looking to ug from Wm5 to WM6, but I don't want to retain any old useless data that may conflict with the new O.S.

Is is possible to only back-up & restore just the MMS? or is it all messages and email?

Thanks

allynm

Mar 12, 2007
This is most excellent, I have a few suggestions / questions:

- when backing up LARGE groups of data, it seems more effort goes to updating the list box than actually reading the data. (i switched to another application and came back to find it was going 2x when not having to refresh the list). also, the list slows considerably when passing 1000 entries for any particular type of data.

- the device (tytn) is allowed to power down during the backup - user has to keep hitting the screen to keep it alive.

- how does restoring work? is everything overwritten? are duplicate entries avoided? what if the restore is from a .pib that has been modified (multiple backups merged)? can several .pib files be restored with the end result of all data being merged on the device (say each covered a range of dates - no overlap)? what if there is overlap - do you end up with duplicates?

- is there some way to take a pim.vol (on the pc) and convert it to a .pib?

i'm trying to figure out how to merge the incremental backups i've made with SPB during each of my ROM upgrades. i've used SpbBackupUnpack.exe to extract the SPB images on the pc, and there are some txt files within the /Databases/cemail.vol folder of the extracted backup, but these are not .csv files, and there appears to be no easy method to convert them over.

i do have the pim.vol from each backup, but i've had no luck attempting to overwrite the existing one with the old one (in an attempt to then make a .pib within the device).

borjok536

Apr 15, 2005
Iloilo
sms restore problem

I'm using BlueAngel wm5 aku 3.5, here is the error message that promps when I try to restore my message backup, "Error csv bad record" "bad record found at line 17"...

dotfred

Dec 30, 2005
Near Brussels, Belgium
www.dotfred.net
Does that mean that,

1. PIM Backup from AKU3.x can be use in WM6?

2. PIM Backup from AKU2.x can be use in AKU3.x?

3. PIM Backup from WM5 can be use in WM6?

4. PIM Backup from WM2003SE can be use in WM6?

5. PIM Backup from WM2003SE can be use in WM5?

6. Any missed combinations?

It should work indeed. I don't have a WM2003SE device, only the emulator.
So I've tested only a part of these combinations.
Don't forget that in WM2003SE, the picture is not stored.

You are here guys to test those functionalities!;)

Cheers,

.Fred

dotfred

Dec 30, 2005
Near Brussels, Belgium
www.dotfred.net
I'm using BlueAngel wm5 aku 3.5, here is the error message that promps when I try to restore my message backup, "Error csv bad record" "bad record found at line 17"...

Hi borjok536,

Don't worry about the version, it is nothing to do with your problem.

I developed a CSV parser, and it's surely not perfect. This error means, that at line 17, the parser found a mismatch and couldn't retrieve the record with all its fields.

Here is the layout of the messages csv file:

Msg Id;Sender Name;Sender Address;Sender AddressType;Prefix;Subject;Body;BodyType;Folder;Account;Msg Class;Content Length;Msg Size;Msg Flags;Msg Status;Modify Time;Delivery Time;Recipient Nbr;Recipients;Attachment Nbr;Attachments

If a field contains a [CR], a [LF], a [CRLF], a [;], a [,], a["], it will be stored between double quotes.

For instance:

Code:
"Hello James,
How are you?

Did you get my message?";""Fred" <+12345678>";

Here the parser will find 2 fields and will keep them like this:

Field 1:

Code:
Hello James,
How are you?

Did you get my message?
Field 2:

Code:
"Fred" <+12345678>

Cheers,

.Fred

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PIM Backup v2.8(Release date 20 Jan 2008)

- fix for keeping old files when value is 10 (schedule options)
    - fix for subfolders having same name as folders under root (messages restore)
    - fix for the delimiter selection when restoring contacts from csv file (contacts mapping fields)
    - fix for "add only new messages" when restoring binary backup (messages restore)

more infos on www.dotfred.net

TODO:

MMS Backup/restore doesn't work!

- fix problem with mms "attachments" which are stored on disk but are not considered as attachments in the cemail.vol (wonderful!)
    Arcsoft MMS software uses own-defined properties (blobs) in pmailMsgs table in cemail.vol but I cannot decipher them for the moment.

- conversion of text backups <-> binary backups

Version 2.7:

In 2.6, the backup/restore thread priority has been diminished so it took less resources during the task, and so other programs could continue to work properly. The problem is that a backup/restore task could take much more time to end. This has been changed by adding this feature as parameter, and so it can be changed manually by the user.

Version 2.6:

- fix bug in binary restore of contacts (birthday overwritten by anniversary)
    - fix bug in binary/text restore of appointments (status, reminder not correct)
    - fix bug in zip utility => unicode compliant
    - fix bug in restore of tasks (wm2003se only) for (partially) undated tasks
    - fix bug in restore of messages (only messages from an unknown account are discarded)
    - fix bug in csv contacts import (csv coming from another application)
    - fix bug in restore of speed dials (wm6 only)
    - added restore custom files individual selection

Version 2.5:

- fix bug in binary backup of appointments containing recipients
    - fix bug in binary/text custom files backup
    - added rename old file option in custom file restore

Version 2.4:

- fix a crash bug during restore of a text backup for messages having no
    subject
    - fix a bug in scheduled backup
    - add one instance only

Version 2.3:

- fix for notes in wm2k3
    - add more error messages in case of backup/restore failure

Version 2.2:

- fix for messages backup problem that causes wm2k3 pda's to soft-reset
    - fix for custom files not found in list in csx backup file

Version 2.1:

- fixed bug introduced in hex fields in text backup in v2.0
    - add a custom backup functionality for specific files, folders or file types.
    - changed some cosmetic things in the layouts
    - fixed some minor bugs
    - fixed bug in binary task binary backup

Version 2.0:

- added escape character in text, so the parsing of csv text works in all cases.

CAUTION, a bad parsing can still appear for backups made in earlier versions.

- added binary backups for fastness and reliability. (A tool will be provided in the future to allow to convert text backups to binary backups and vice-versa).

- schedule problem fixed.

- added UNC folders names for default folders (inbox, outbox, sent items, drafts, deleted items) in messages, so the restore could be done on a device having another language.

- fixed the problem of messages stored in folders at the same level as Inbox

- creation of temporary backup files can be either in memory or in the backup destination folder.

Version 1.9:

- fix bug in all day recurring appointments restore
    - fix bug in non recurring tasks restore
    - restore for "add only new..." option should go faster
    - remove empty files from \Windows\Messaging

Version 1.8:

- fix problem of lost records (csv parser has been redesigned)

ADVICE: In WM6 if you have to restore call logs, do it separately especially if you have a lot of them, because cprog.exe (phone application) will take all the cpu to rebuild the links between contacts and calls, so this is not good for the rest of the restore.

Version 1.7:

- fix for crashing bug during restore of contacts or messages

Version 1.6:

- Yomi included for contacts (not tested, need confirmation on this)
    - fix for call logs in WM6 (allynm)
    - fix appointments load (leo ramik)
    - fix problem for messages load (same as appts)
    - fix csv parser bug (last one, I hope)
    - fix problem with speeddials restore (WM6 only) (it is slow, but it works) (work around provided by dan1967 (thanks!))
    - fix for appts restore (_vint)

Version 1.5:

- fix toolbar bug (wm2003se only)
    - fix sms backup bug (wm2003se only) (carolos)
    - fix schedule bug (ebliss)
    - fix birthday bug in contacts (gambit999)
    - fix csv parser bug (exel07)

Version 1.4:

- fix a bug found in backup/restore of messages in WM2003SE (choas)
    - fix a bug concerning exclusions of folders in backup of messages (faria)

Version 1.3:

- fix a bug found in restore of call logs backup under WM6 (backup made on WM6 only) (faria)

Version 1.2:

- fix a bug found when handling unicode files with chinese character set (Sipher)

Version 1.1:

- fix a bug in CSV parser (borjok536)
    - added option verbose in main menu (allynm) (the status list is less updated without verbose)
    - added SystemIdleTimerReset to avoid that the pda is suspended during the backup/restore process

Description:

This tool has been made in order to replace the PPCBckpContacts application.
    As its predecessor, PPCPimBackup allows to backup/restore the Personal information of the pocket pc user, but new functionalities have been added.

This tool allows to backup/restore:

- appointments
    - call logs
    - contacts
    - messages (SMS, Mails, ...) NEW !!! :D
    - speed dials
    - tasks

Restore contacts:

It is possible now to restore a text file containing contacts backed up from other applications, like in Outlook Express, the only constraint is that the first line should contain the fields and the fields need a separator. (See screenshots). The tool allows to map default fields to fields found in the file. It is possible now to insert duplicates.

Backup messages:

The mail database is completely parsed to retrieve all the messages stored in every directory and subdirectory. It is possible to select which account and directories should be backed up. You can save attachments as wel if they exist on the pocket pc.

Restore messages:

Same as the backup, you can select which account and directories should be restored to the device. Caution, if an account doesn't exist on the pocket pc, this application will discard the messages that belong to that account.

Restore appointments:

Schedule backup:

It is possible to schedule a backup, each day of the week and this at a specific hour. If the pocket pc is suspended, it will wake up and do the backup. You can eventually control the number of backups to keep and switch off the pocket pc after the scheduled backup is finished.
    The schedule backup creates a notification that can be cleared via the Options Menu.

File types:

There is only one file type now, which is .pib (Personal Information Backup), in fact it is just a zip file (so you can open it with a zip application) which contain the different text files used in PPCBckpContacts, so you can still extract these files, edit them on a pc using Excel or Notepad and eventually restore them without putting them back in the .pib file.

This is the first release, it has been tested on WM4.2, WM5 and WM6.

Comments, bugs, suggestions are welcome.

Yours sincerly,

.Fred

Screenshots:

ppcpimbackup.gif

Use notice:

The exe contained in the zip file, should be copied and launched on the pocket pc, and not on a pc.
    If you have any comments, bugs report, suggestions, problems, then you could send them to this address dotfred@dotfred.net, I will carefully consider them.
    new update V2.8.5

Version 2.8.5:

- fix issue with list view using custom states
    - warning popup message in case encryption mechanism is active on sdcard
    - error popup message in case the backup failed
    - fix issue of exceptions in appointments
    new version available
    at PIM Backup Website
    new version available (3.5)
    at PIM Backup Website
    use 2.5 with Tytn II

I am unable to go any further after when I select the options. "NEXT" is not selectable!

Any help?