[CLOSED][APP][5.1+] VPN/Sentry - Virtual private network with firewall [DISCONTINUED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
There is a bug in the import: the existing rules are not properly cleared. This will be fixed in the next release.

yadida08

Mar 13, 2016
hi
I installed vpn / sentry today and reading the FAQ, I figured out why you did not want to give the code to me and fully agree with this decision.
This will avoid versions containing malware or others.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have just released beta version 0.26.

It may take Google a few hours to make this release available in the Play store.

This version adds another mayor feature: wildcard support for address rules, both for app and global rules.

You could for example block device wide:

Code:
*.facebook.com
*.twitter.com

All known bugs and suggested features/improvements have been solved/implemented, except for showing if there are a global rules in the app details. Besides being difficult to process correctly (wildcards!), it would lead to UI lags.

If you encounter a bug or crash, please let me know about it, so it can be fixed.

Last edited:

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
Where do you go to add domains with widcards? There's only a search button in the Global rules and no option in the new popup window for app rules.
EDIT:
ok so I get *.facebook.net from the domain name "connect.facebook.net" but I don't get it from "facebook.com". I think you can also add domain names with wildcards even for the top level domain.

We have no clue that *facebook.com is blocked on other domain names.
If I block *.facebook.com from www.facebook.com then (www).facebook.com is yellow but graph.facebook.com and facebook.com are still gray (default). I'm afraid that things are going to be confused after creating dozens of rules from different screens.

EDIT2
An option to manually enter new blocked domains (with wildcard) would be a great addition since I don't want to connect my device to FB before being able to block the domains.

All known bugs and suggested features/improvements have been solved/implemented, except for showing if there are a global rules in the app details. Besides being difficult to process correctly, it would lead to UI lags.

If you encounter a bug or crash, please let me know about it, so it can be fixed.
I still have the scrolling bug when opening the app.

Last edited:
Reactions: M66B

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Where do you go to add domains with widcards? There's only a search button in the Global rules and no option in the new popup window for app rules.
EDIT:
ok so I get *.facebook.net from the domain name "connect.facebook.net" but I don't get it from "facebook.com". I think you can also add domain names with wildcards even for the top level domain.

We have no clue that *facebook.com is blocked on other domain names.
If I block *.facebook.com from www.facebook.com then (www).facebook.com is yellow but graph.facebook.com and facebook.com are still gray (default). I'm afraid that things are going to be confused after creating dozens of rules from different screens.

EDIT2
An option to manually enter new blocked domains (with wildcard) would be a great addition since I don't want to connect my device to FB before being able to block the domains.

I still have the scrolling bug when opening the app.
You can only block/allow addresses which have been accessed once. I currently don't want to change this for both functional and technical reasons. Blocking sub domains is useful only if there are sub domains. See it as a kind of check. You can always switch to black list mode (for all apps or a single app) and allow only the necessary addresses, with or without wildcards. The global rules have a search, so you can search for 'facebook' to see quickly which rules there are for 'facebook'.

I see what you want and I won't forget it (like showing global rules in the app details), but I have to find a balance between several things, like performance, usability and maintainability. I am not saying I won't improve this later, maybe I will have an 'Eureka' moment like I had for the implementation of wildcard rules, but for now I am just glad it works properly and be honest, global rules is a really nice addition!

Reactions: Primokorn

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
There seems to be a problem with the app automatically exiting without an error when scrolling through the app list.

I can't seem to find the subscription option.

Does VPN Sentry need direct internet access or just the Android VPN service?

NetGuard works fine without it having direct internet access.

// Thanks
I am aware there is a bug in the app list, it will be fixed in the next release.
The button to get unlimited data will be available after you have connected once.
I am not sure what you mean by "direct internet access". VPN/Sentry needs to connect to a remote server in any case.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Please add the dark theme from NetGuard.

It seems that by default all apps have access through the VPN which may be fine for some people but I only wanted to enable a few and could not find a way to toggle everything off and then manually enable individual apps.

If you can think of a way to add the dark theme without adding an option, I will consider to add it. What I won't add, is support for different themes (colors).

VPN/Sentry is designed to encrypt all traffic and to exclude only apps that need access to a local DNS server (see also this FAQ). Why do you want to exclude more than a few apps?

Reactions: user2k10

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
It took some time to get everything right, but the server will now actively refuse blocked connections instead of ignoring connection requests. The difference is that the app knows right away that a connection failed instead of receiving a timeout much later. This will be most visible in the browser, which won't wait on blocked ad servers anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

VPN/Sentry

Virtual private network with firewall

• Encrypt the internet traffic of all your apps
    • Allow or block internet traffic per app or address
    • Mix your internet traffic with that of others for increased privacy
    • Simple to use while still offering advanced features

Blocking access to the internet can help to:

• reduce data usage
    • save on battery usage
    • increase your privacy

VPN/Sentry is designed for minimum battery usage and maximum network speed. It does not require root permissions.

VPN/Sentry supports all IP protocols. You'll even have IPv6 connectivity when you normally don't have.

There is a free data allowance of 50 MB per day to try the app. Unlimited data usage is available with a subscription.

This app is in beta testing stage, but seems to be pretty stable so far.

Download:
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/eu.faircode.vpnsentry

https://www.vpnsentry.net/

Terms of service (draft):
    https://www.vpnsentry.net/tos/

Privacy policy (draft):
    https://www.vpnsentry.net/privacy/

Frequently asked questions:
    https://www.vpnsentry.net/faq/

screenshot1_main_resized.png
    screenshot2_details_resized.png
    screenshot3_log_resized.png
    I have opened this thread again, because else people will, understandably, use other ways to contact me about VPN/Sentry.

As suggested by some, I have sent ProtonVPN this morning a message. I am curious about what they are going to answer.

While using VPN/Sentry myself, I found a few minor bugs, which are addressed in beta version 0.52, available as a direct download from here.

Edit: hidden convenience feature: long click on an app icon or app name to launch it.

I am still hoping to continue this project in some way.

Edit: like NetGuard, I have raised the required Android version to 5.1 Lollipop.
    I have just released beta version 0.30

It may take Google's servers a few hours to make this release available everywhere.

Hopefully are crashes are fixed now. @yadida08 can you please confirm this?

The real-time log shows which rule type was applied now. You can find the meaning of the two letter abbreviations in the help. If somebody has a better idea about how to visualize the rule type, please let me know.
    I have just released beta version 0.40

It may take Google's servers some time to make this release available everywhere.

This version fixes hanging on connectivity changes, which seems to affect only some devices. Thanks @feb8born for helping me to find this bug (I couldn't reproduce this problem on my own devices).

Another change is that new addresses will be shown with a bold typeface for 10 minutes.
    The last days there was not a single crash report in the Google Play developer console, so it seems all critical bugs have been solved.

I have just updated this FAQ with some additional information: https://www.vpnsentry.net/faq/#FAQ14

In short: your DNS traffic is secure and cannot be altered by malicious third parties if you have VPN/Sentry enabled (think of open Wi-Fi hotspots).

A personal experience: I have recently seen an open hotspot trying to serve VPN/Sentry a false security certificate (which is basically a Man-in-the-middle attack). VPN/Sentry correctly refused to connect to the VPN server. Since the Android VPN service keeps running all the time, the traffic didn't go anywhere, which is exactly what you want in such a situation.