Search This thread

cyansmoker

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
-> Download link (12/01/11) <-

What?

A vertical launcher. It will, hopefully, allow you to use shortcuts, widgets and info tiles. And skins.
I plan to build something that looks like IidaHome, but more flexible (more info on IidaHome here and here)

screen_20111006_0005.png
screen_20111006_0006.png
screen_20111006_0009.png
screen_20111006_0011.png

Skinnable!

Android%252520Gingerbread%252520%25255BRunning%25255D-1.jpg
Android%252520Gingerbread%252520%25255BRunning%25255D.jpg

(These themes are available on the download page)

Icon themes: use ADW's!
Android%252520Gingerbread%252520%25255BRunning%25255D-4.jpg

Known Issues
  1. Long start-up time is long!
  2. Lacks many sexy effects.

Create Your Own Theme!

The default template you can see in the above pictures is available in source code on GitHub
It is very easy to adapt to create your own. Ask me for help if you have to!

Why?

My phone used to rock IidaHome launcher.
Of course, being a rip from a Japanese phone, users are asking for new features, etc., but, really, we do not have access to the source code and adding any feature is an exercise in hacking smali files.

I like vertical launchers but the Windows 7 copies, although quite sexy, only offer a limited number of apps per row and are limited by their reference launcher's own UI choices (Metro UI)

So, I started work on my own launcher (the mere fact of writing this sentence makes me feel embarrassed for re-inventing the wheel)

Last edited:

ColorNapkin

Nov 5, 2010
That's interesting. Is that what will appear on the App Drawer or is that for the home screens?

flixos

Oct 28, 2010
it looks pointed on the right way, keep on it. I just hope there will be a version for mobiles, not only for tablets (you're using a nook, aren't you?)

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
It's a complete home screen. I had not considered the app drawer angle.

[Mobiles] Yes it's one of the things that bothered me with IidaHome: it doesn't make good use of real estate offered by different resolutions. This particular home is created with the intent to work with any resolution; it will be possible to specify how many cells you wish per row so that you can have more cells on a Nook and, say, a max of three or four on a WVGA device.

ryanpl

Jan 11, 2011
Two quick question for the OP. What version of Android will this be for? Will you include grayscale support for the Nook Touch?

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
Day 2 Update

(I can only work on this in the evening)

No video at this point, but I have:

1. Icons properly lining up and scrolling
2. Multi-column icons support
3. Add more application shortcuts
4. Add shortcuts such as bookmarks, pictures, contacts...
5. Add widgets

Missing:
1. Persistence
2. Correct icon gap management for multi-row widgets
3. Re-ordering icons
4. Separators/Folders
5. Proper refresh
6. Any kind of objects management
7. Customization of any kind

Attachments

• 5554_231_apilevel9_800x480.jpg
    5554_231_apilevel9_800x480.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 5,967

sakisds

Apr 10, 2010
Athens
Interesting launcher. I think it would look better if the tiles had no background or a transparent one.

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
Thanks.

Of course the pictures you are seeing right now are by no means a commitment to a given look. In fact, it will be skinable, meaning no tiles, transparent tiles or tiles-made-of-cheese tiles :)

aydc

Jul 31, 2006
This is a fantastic idea. I'm tired of iPhone wannabe horizontal launchers. It makes much more sense to allocate the icons in a vertical space rather than horizontal. It's much easier to slide vertically rather than horizontally. I believe this launcher is going to be big when it's ready.

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
Day 5

Not much excitement today. I completely rewrote my layout engine so that every empty cell is automatically filled with something if possible.
I also added separators. They don't do everything I want yet.

Something that's starting to bother me: I really need to animate the widgets; at this points they can display an initial state and I can touch them to launch whatever, but they do not have a frame-by-frame animator class to give them life yet.

Jazux:
Yes, it is meant to work with any resolution so it should work on tablets.

pockobg

Oct 16, 2009
Silistra
The animation of the tile and transitions are very important to me and other i believe! And don't forget to keep everything fluid, because i have tried several launchers and only 1 is good enough

Keep up the good work

Paradoxxx

Aug 14, 2008
Krakow
Hum, nice.one, i had a look and a long try, to iida ui.
You should try to.make it as.beautifully, animated as it.is.
Nice work, keep it up.

Sent from HydrOG3N MOD DHD.
Technology Evolves.Android Evolves.
HydrOG3N is the Revolution.

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
Day 6

Currently, there are no animations. Things show up, scroll up/down, disappear. That's because I want to get the basics right before I get into animating anything.

But, yes, this program will ultimately be animated; I want to use it myself so I would like something that makes me happy to look at and interact with.

Anyway, today:
  • I got the widget to display correctly and instantly. Then, that behavior broke (hate days like that!)
  • Separators work; they can hide apps
  • Complete refactoring or "Apps/widgets/special" code
  • Introduction of "Edit" mode (moving icons around will work in both modes)

Che123

Aug 18, 2009
Day 6

Currently, there are no animations. Things show up, scroll up/down, disappear. That's because I want to get the basics right before I get into animating anything.

But, yes, this program will ultimately be animated; I want to use it myself so I would like something that makes me happy to look at and interact with.

Anyway, today:
  • I got the widget to display correctly and instantly. Then, that behavior broke (hate days like that!)
  • Separators work; they can hide apps
  • Complete refactoring or "Apps/widgets/special" code
  • Introduction of "Edit" mode (moving icons around will work in both modes)

Yeah. First fix the important things :D
Will there be a beta version for testing purposes?

Dunc001

Apr 6, 2010
Hiding out south of the border...
If you get the vertical scrolling working perfectly how big a leap would it be to have say a regular left/right scrolling launcher with vertical scrolling only from your default home screen? I'd love to have a standard 5-screen horizontal launcher with one up/one down on the central default home screen (both with continuous scrolling...), or even as a launcher 'cube' with four horizontal and one up one down accessible from any of the horizontal scrolling screens (like turning a cube). Is any of this possible?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -> Download link (12/01/11) <-

What?

A vertical launcher. It will, hopefully, allow you to use shortcuts, widgets and info tiles. And skins.
    I plan to build something that looks like IidaHome, but more flexible (more info on IidaHome here and here)

screen_20111006_0005.png
    screen_20111006_0006.png
    screen_20111006_0009.png
    screen_20111006_0011.png

Skinnable!

Android%252520Gingerbread%252520%25255BRunning%25255D-1.jpg

(These themes are available on the download page)

Icon themes: use ADW's!
    Android%252520Gingerbread%252520%25255BRunning%25255D-4.jpg

Known Issues
    1. Long start-up time is long!
    2. Lacks many sexy effects.

Create Your Own Theme!

The default template you can see in the above pictures is available in source code on GitHub
    It is very easy to adapt to create your own. Ask me for help if you have to!

Why?

My phone used to rock IidaHome launcher.
    Of course, being a rip from a Japanese phone, users are asking for new features, etc., but, really, we do not have access to the source code and adding any feature is an exercise in hacking smali files.

I like vertical launchers but the Windows 7 copies, although quite sexy, only offer a limited number of apps per row and are limited by their reference launcher's own UI choices (Metro UI)

So, I started work on my own launcher (the mere fact of writing this sentence makes me feel embarrassed for re-inventing the wheel)
    Update: What's happening?

Indeed, I have kept mum lately.

The reason for this silence is that I realized that I had learnt what I needed to learn with the current version, since I had never written a launcher before.

Therefore, I re-started from scratch. Except not really from scratch since this time I am going to include code from the original android launcher. This will save me time and at the same time I am working on a more "conventional" handling of scrolling, transitions, etc.

Additionally I am reworking the UI bits that made it difficult to use such as drag/dropping icons over a long distance.

Thank you for your patience, I hope to have something working on this new base soon.
    Day 21: the beast

Well, I had to release a preview at some point, right?
    So, here it is.

Warning

This is an early alpha, only meant to give you an idea of what's been done so far. It will likely crash several times while you play with it.

What I do not like about it
    ...things I will obviously fix!

1. It is not yet themable (cells can only have a gray background)
    2. Things can look weird depending on the number of columns you select
    3. Some widgets can look like crap
    4. The top "bounce back" effect is too enthusiastic
    5. The bottom bounce effect was disabled for now due to a bug
    6. Not a big fan of the "Edit..." flow
    7. Moving icons is very primitive and can be maddening
    8. Only portrait mode supported (need to properly handle orientation change)
    9. You must restart the app when changing some settings
    10. Sometimes restarting fails because the app is not really killed. You need to kill it yourself.
    11. Start-up time is too long. Way too long.
    12. Separators open/close state is improperly persisted.
    13. Lacks many sexy effects.

I bet I'll edit this post as I think of more things that annoy me.

Download it!

Get it at http://nexus.zteo.com/projects/beta/
    Updated!

OK, I'm sure I broke some things in the process.
    Anyway, I uploaded a new version as well as a couple themes. Check out the OP.

Changelog:

1. Scroller color can be taken from the theme as well now.
    2. Themes can now offer a wallpaper as well as everything else.
    3. HOME key takes to top/bottom of list.
    4. Better long press, context menus handling; especially on very fast devices.
    5. Now, long-pressing on wallpaper takes us to edit + add mode.
    6. Widgets now hopefully displayed properly.
    7. Scroll with velocity now comes to a convincing halt when bouncing back from stop.
    Thanks, guys. I'm taking all your feedback in account.

In the meantime, new version:

- Fixed: top row was not restored after using a filter.
    - Report version # in about box.
    Some optimization work:
    - Removed unused animations
    - Replaced BitmapDrawable with FastBitmapDrawable
    - Replaced array of booleans with bitfield