[4.4.x][OFFICIAL][NIGHTLIES][UNIFIED][jflte] Omni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

pjkiener

Jun 2, 2013
Cebu
A few days ago I went back to Omni from CM12, and can I say... IT'S A DAMN GOOD BREATH OF FRESH AIR!!! Ahhhhh, to have such a wonderfully stable ROM... it's like coming back from a really long outdoor/camping trip, and now you're finally back home with your comfortable bed, blanket, pillows, shower and heater. OOOOHHH YEAAHHHHH!
Thanks to the maintainer for keeping this going!
This is also, for me, far more stable than CM11. Everything works, except for HDR. But not a big deal, just put the picture in an editor, turn down the highlights and turn up the shadows and boom!
The only thing I have with this is it's a pain in the ass to add a phone number from your recent calls list. I don't understand why you can't directly add it. It just gives me the option to copy it. Everything else is great though!

Yes I'm currently using the latest jflte nightly build of OmniROM (13/01/15) on my Galaxy S4 i9505, and the only bug I've encountered is when setting the camera to the 'HDR' setting, the camera freezes and will not unfreeze until you reboot. Apart from that I have found OmniROM to be very stable and without lag. I would recommend it @pjkiener :)

I would be tempted to try out CM12 simply because I'm dying to try out Lollipop, but as well as the stable-ness of OmniROM I also admire the philosophy behind OmniROM. The whole 'Cyanogen Inc.' business turned me off CyanogenMod a bit and so I turned to good ol' Omni as a result :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

muzicman82

Dec 27, 2007
Wilmington, DE
So is there currently no maintainer for this ROM on jflte? If not, how are we still seeing Nightlies? I imagine they build automatically from upstream? Are Nightlies impoving things?

Steve Geemaggio

Sep 3, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
So is there currently no maintainer for this ROM on jflte? If not, how are we still seeing Nightlies? I imagine they build automatically from upstream? Are Nightlies impoving things?

Hi @muzicman,

Post #178 from the thread link below may help to answer your question.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2933101

I don't know what the story with the Nightly Builds is but I think the old maintainer, Jake, is still working on jflte. That will have to be confirmed though.

Steve

Jchef

Aug 26, 2013
I am running gpe lollipop from Danvd. It is very fluid and snappy. Reminds me of how smooth and fast omni is.

Steve Geemaggio

Sep 3, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hello,

Can a changelog still be viewed for the Nightly Builds for this device?

I tried the link at the start of this thread and nothing is displayed. I'm also using the Omni changelog app, but nothing in relation to jflte is displayed there either.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Gandalf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
sorry, i've been VERY busy.

UPDATES:

Jake announced a while ago he was planning on dropping jflte due to lack of time.

He wound up unable to sell his jflte, so there's a chance that if he has time it'll get support, but in general, lack of time is proving to be a major issue for many of us. We're way behind as a result... Many of us have non-Android stuff going on, some of us are in the process of planning some Android-related stuff that is causing delays now but will hopefully have positive benefits in the long run. One thing being discussed is a few projects getting together to create a project dedicated to hardware support, strictly limited to only hardware stuff. Other projects could use that project as a base. (In some ways, we had visions of something like this with Omni, but as we didn't strictly limit scope to hardware, we sort of became "just another project" with the main benefit being we coordinated with other projects much better than in the past.)

yea, just to confirm, i WILL be working on galaxy s4.

I have put it on hold until I finish my note 10 kernel, but i just finished the last of the file merges, and now will begin the endless compilation error from merge derps healing process.

But to clarify to everyone: THERE WILL BE android-5.0 for galaxy s4 jflte QUALCOMM VARIANTS ONLY (sorry exynos)

Kernel merge complete for note 10(2014) , just need to fix it up and I'll start on jflte. :good:

Last edited:

pjkiener

Jun 2, 2013
Cebu
Yes I'm currently using the latest jflte nightly build of OmniROM (13/01/15) on my Galaxy S4 i9505, and the only bug I've encountered is when setting the camera to the 'HDR' setting, the camera freezes and will not unfreeze until you reboot. Apart from that I have found OmniROM to be very stable and without lag. I would recommend it @pjkiener :)

I would be tempted to try out CM12 simply because I'm dying to try out Lollipop, but as well as the stable-ness of OmniROM I also admire the philosophy behind OmniROM. The whole 'Cyanogen Inc.' business turned me off CyanogenMod a bit and so I turned to good ol' Omni as a result :)

Yeah, that HDR thing is the reason why I may not buy another Samsung phone. THey have too many proprietary bullshiznits, which takes away from maximizing when using a custom ROM. I also noticed that my YouTube won't play properly. The video turns gray the picture gets all fuzzy and whatnot.
I was using CM12 and wasn't too impressed. It felt like A LOT of features were missing and wasn't as stable as I had hoped. It's been a month or more since then though, so maybe they've made a lot of progress now. But I think I'll wait on OMNI, or the official uber-disgusting TouchWiz 5.0 so I can get all the functionality of the phone back. Yuck, I dread going back to TouchWiz. lol

Gandalf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
The 4.4 nightlies are very much stable minus the HDR issue, which I am completely aware of. I was waiting to add the necessary commits for samsung hdr until camera2 was updated to be parallel to CAF kk_3.5, but with 5.0 dropping, that got pushed back.

I'm starting the bringup for 5.0 now for jflte.

Just a few things for everyone:
  • For the time being, I will be following CM as I've been away from the device for a few months. This means:
    • De-unified builds (going back to variant-specific builds, I'll look at unification again in the future)
  • I have a Sprint variant (jfltespr) with:
    • I do not have a Sprint SIM card, or service
    • I can't test calling/texting/etc. so that will have to be up to users from each variant
  • 5.0 nightlies will not start until the ROM is stable enough for at least a daily driver
  • I'm not going to post test builds until it's reasonably usable, since I know what will be broken and I don't need 10 million "bug reports"

OpenCollective

Sep 13, 2012
Anyone else having trouble with their sim cards with the latest nightlies? I can't find any networks and it seems the sim card is not detected...

ROMAddiction

Jan 17, 2015
Dallas
The 4.4 nightlies are very much stable minus the HDR issue, which I am completely aware of. I was waiting to add the necessary commits for samsung hdr until camera2 was updated to be parallel to CAF kk_3.5, but with 5.0 dropping, that got pushed back.

I'm starting the bringup for 5.0 now for jflte.

Just a few things for everyone:
  • For the time being, I will be following CM as I've been away from the device for a few months. This means:
    • De-unified builds (going back to variant-specific builds, I'll look at unification again in the future)
  • I have a Sprint variant (jfltespr) with:
    • I do not have a Sprint SIM card, or service
    • I can't test calling/texting/etc. so that will have to be up to users from each variant
  • 5.0 nightlies will not start until the ROM is stable enough for at least a daily driver
  • I'm not going to post test builds until it's reasonably usable, since I know what will be broken and I don't need 10 million "bug reports"

Looking forward to seeing Omni 5.0.

Steve Geemaggio

Sep 3, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hi,

same problem.
Gone back to 20150218.

Hello,

I was under the impression the current 4.4.4 jflte nightly builds were just automatically generated, and that there has been no changes made as work was been done elsewhere, and now de-unified 5.0 jflte builds are being worked on. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Did you try doing a clean flash of the latest nightly build? That may do the trick.

Steve

BakedTator

Jan 8, 2011
I have 2 questions, based on the answer to the first one, are you going to be building for jflteusc? And if so, do you need a tester?

MartelKombat

Oct 25, 2013
Any news about the process?

I have a question about building omni 5.x on my own. Is there any guid?
I try'd to build cm-12 with no luck (maybe because the guid to build is about cm-11... last weekend i found a guid to build cm-12 but i had no time).

No radio

Hello,

I was under the impression the current 4.4.4 jflte nightly builds were just automatically generated, and that there has been no changes made as work was been done elsewhere, and now de-unified 5.0 jflte builds are being worked on. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Did you try doing a clean flash of the latest nightly build? That may do the trick.

Steve

I have tried this a few times over the last couple months and each time it ended with the loss my network. After I either install the latest nightly through TWRP or do a clean install my phone reboots and according to the settings page it does not have a modem/radio. I have tried flashing the same modem that I had prior to the update but it has not worked. At first I thought it was me or something I was doing wrong, but each time I take the phone offline to first make a backup and then upgrade I have my phone offline for a couple of hours and I can't really afford to be without a phone for too long to troubleshoot it since it's my only phone. Does anyone know if the update files were changed between February 2015 and now that caused the modem to be dropped or wiped during the install process?

Regards,
DB

Last edited:
Reactions: OpenCollective

Yousvel

Jan 23, 2014
Cap-Haitian
www.dtcministries.com
Just noticed the new nightly and made a full backup in TWRP before installing it and everything seems to be working after reboot. Can call, text, and access WiFi. Just wanted to let anyone else know my experience in case you have been holding off for someone else to go first. :)

Regards!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Free mobile app

I tried the latest nightly for one day and it's rock solid. Battery life on it is good as well. However, camera crashed once and I had to reboot the phone to get it work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sorry, i've been VERY busy.

UPDATES:

Jake announced a while ago he was planning on dropping jflte due to lack of time.

He wound up unable to sell his jflte, so there's a chance that if he has time it'll get support, but in general, lack of time is proving to be a major issue for many of us. We're way behind as a result... Many of us have non-Android stuff going on, some of us are in the process of planning some Android-related stuff that is causing delays now but will hopefully have positive benefits in the long run. One thing being discussed is a few projects getting together to create a project dedicated to hardware support, strictly limited to only hardware stuff. Other projects could use that project as a base. (In some ways, we had visions of something like this with Omni, but as we didn't strictly limit scope to hardware, we sort of became "just another project" with the main benefit being we coordinated with other projects much better than in the past.)

yea, just to confirm, i WILL be working on galaxy s4.

I have put it on hold until I finish my note 10 kernel, but i just finished the last of the file merges, and now will begin the endless compilation error from merge derps healing process.

But to clarify to everyone: THERE WILL BE android-5.0 for galaxy s4 jflte QUALCOMM VARIANTS ONLY (sorry exynos)

Kernel merge complete for note 10(2014) , just need to fix it up and I'll start on jflte. :good:
    DO NOT post in this thread until you have read the first three posts and last two pages of this thread in their entirety!

"Me Too" posts for known issues with no useful debugging information WILL BE REPORTED.

What is Omni?

Omni Gerrit Review

OmniLog - changelog

Disclaimer
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
     */

ROM:
    Omni for Samsung Galaxy S 4

Gapps:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942
    (recommend the MODULAR FULL package, however, keep in mind that the STOCK package is intended for Nexus devices)

UPDATE FROM VARIANT OMNI BUILD TO UNIFIED BUILD
    Backup your apps and other pertinent data and DO A FULL WIPE.
    Don't complain about it. Just do it. If you try to post bug reports or complaints and you have not conducted a wipe of:
    • /system
    • /data
    • /cache
    • /dalvik
      I will completely and utterly ignore you, as well as report your post for not reading the clearly posted rules at the top of this post.

UPDATE FROM OMNI VIA OPEN DELTA UPDATER
    Settings -> System Updates -> Check for update
    You will NOT need to wipe anything with the delta updates unless it is explicitly stated or you start having strange issues.

Omni only supports TWRP recovery, use any alternate recovery at your own risk.

Kernel Source: https://github.com/omnirom/android_kernel_samsung_jf

XDA:DevDB Information
    Omni for Galaxy S4, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    jakew02, xplodwild
    Source Code: http://www.github.com/omnirom/

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information

Created 2014-05-28
    Last Updated 2015-04-20
    next 4.4 nightly will be fixed.

hoping to have 5.1 builds ready soon, just need to fix some stuff, but mostly everything is working on them.
    here's a build i just made with the updated gpu drivers, meaning you can use custom kernels on this one until the nightlies are up to speed

http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=6934

I'm still working on narrowing down exactly which specific commits in the repo are required, but i'll make sure to let you guys know as soon as the nightlies have them merged. until then, I can just post nightly builds in here for you guys with the required changes :good:

Oh yea, and with the audio HAL , hotword detection works again :highfive:

so to my knowledge:

TO-DO:
    • HDR (will probably wait for the camera to be rebased)
    • You tell me?!?
    I am dropping support for jflte once L source is released. I have too much going on with 18 credits per semester and my other projects.

The device trees and everything will remain on github and gerrit so if a brave souls decides to take the challenge of bringing the device up, the tools are available for you.