Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
ic_launcher.png
XPrivacy

After weeks of research, development and testing I proudly present the ultimate, yet easy to use, privacy manager: XPrivacy.

XPrivacy can prevent applications from leaking privacy sensitive data. XPrivacy can restrict the categories of data an application can access. This is done by feeding an application with no or fake data. There are several data categories which can be restricted, for example contacts or location. For example, if you restrict access to contacts for an application, this will result in sending an empty contact list to the application. Similarly, restricting an application's access to your location will result in a set location being sent to the application.

You can use the successor XPrivacyLua on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later.

Features

• Simple to use
  • No need to patch anything (no source, no smali or anything else)
  • For any (stock) variant of Android version 4.0.3 - 6.0.1 (ICS, JellyBean, Lollipop, Marshmallow)
  • Newly installed applications are restricted by default
  • Displays data actually used by an application
  • Option to restrict on demand
  • Free and open source
  • Free from advertisements

Read more on GitHub

The download link is in the installation instructions

You can also use the XPrivacy Installer as an aid to install XPrivacy.

This forum is for questions only. See here for bug reports and feature requests.

Please post messages related to privacy only.
XPrivacy is not intended to make other application do things they are not supposed to do.

There is only support for the latest official XPrivacy version.

XPrivacy was a lot of work, so please support this project

If you want to donate, see here for all options.

Use at your own risk !

The latest version from a while ago still works properly up to Android 6 Marshmallow, if Xposed works properly on your device
(you can ignore any internal error report of XPrivacy, since these are known to be harmless)

XDA:DevDB Information
XPrivacy, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
M66B
Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacy

Xposed Package Name: biz.bokhorst.xprivacy

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.6.19
Stable Release Date: 2015-07-01

Created 2014-08-03
Last Updated 2018-02-08

Last edited:

Namoi

Oct 14, 2011
Thanks a lot. I always missed PDroid as i am on stock Samsung ROM.

BTW, the patches also work on Stock Rom ? ie : even if i don't use CM10, i need to install the CM10_4.1 patch isn't it ?

Tanks again

Nosferatu Alucard

Oct 9, 2011
Im using this since version 0.3 and think it is really a great Mod!
Thank you very much for your hard work!

I'd really like to contribute, but since I'm pretty limited in terms of coding the only thing I can offer is to translate Xprivacy to German if you like.

I already got some experience in app translating (though it has been some time since then), so just PM me, if you want me to translate it

Gesendet von meinem Xperia Mini Pro mit Tapatalk 2

gandhar

Jan 20, 2012
Goa
the app has improved greatly, its very usable now.

some suggestions/details:

app/usability:
1. the app is usable when it is not enabled, there should be a check on app launch if it is enabled in xposed.
2. some sort of loading indicator instead of just directly jumping into the batch edit category after a wait.
3. search for apps.
4. app filtering

2,3,4 are already implemented in xposed app settings, perhaps you could look at that code.

ui stuff:
1. all the activities except the main one should have menu items and the navigation action http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/actionbar.html#Home
2. the blocked apps/ apps with the particular permission should be sorted above the rest.
i'd say blocked apps->apps with permission but not blocked-> rest of them
3. scroll bar in batch edit
4. action bar spinners or a viewpager like the xposed app separating the batch edit and the list of all apps. (AB spinners would save space though)

these are suggestions, i love the app as it is, :)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
hmm odd. I have everything installed (Xposed 34, xprivacy .11 and the fix) I don't see an Xprivacy button in manage apps like in the 2nd screen shot.

First the most obvious: did you reboot? did you enable XPrivacy in the Xposed installer?
Which ROM do you use?
Do you see orange triangles if you start XPrivacy and browse apps?

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
First the most obvious: did you reboot?
Which ROM do you use?
Do you see orange triangles if you start XPrivacy and browse apps?

Yes, I rebooted twice. I'm on TrickDroid 4.2.2 (sense based) on the HTC One. I do see the orange triangle on some apps when I open up Xprivacy but not on all (going into the different categories)

kv1dr

Dec 28, 2010
Gornji Grad
a have a request. The application is really great, but I would much rather like to get notification(and then I can open XPrivacy by just clicking on it) when new application is installed instead of just popping up. I hope you understand me :)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Yes, I rebooted twice. I'm on TrickDroid 4.2.2 (sense based) on the HTC One. I do see the orange triangle on some apps when I open up Xprivacy but not on all (going into the different categories)
If you see orange triangles XPrivacy is in any case working.
Maybe your settings layout is different, so that XPrivacy cannot hook into it.
This is not a big problem, because you can access all settings from the app too.
You can do me a pleasure by sending a logcat, starting from the moment your device boots, so I may be able to figure out why this (not) happens.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
the app has improved greatly, its very usable now.

some suggestions/details:

app/usability:
1. the app is usable when it is not enabled, there should be a check on app launch if it is enabled in xposed.
2. some sort of loading indicator instead of just directly jumping into the batch edit category after a wait.
3. search for apps.
4. app filtering

2,3,4 are already implemented in xposed app settings, perhaps you could look at that code.

ui stuff:
1. all the activities except the main one should have menu items and the navigation action http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/actionbar.html#Home
2. the blocked apps/ apps with the particular permission should be sorted above the rest.
i'd say blocked apps->apps with permission but not blocked-> rest of them
3. scroll bar in batch edit
4. action bar spinners or a viewpager like the xposed app separating the batch edit and the list of all apps. (AB spinners would save space though)

these are suggestions, i love the app as it is, :)
Thanks for your feedback, gandhar.
Could you please create issues for these, so I can easily track things?

Loading apps in an async task + spinner has already been realized (will be in version 0.12).

Reactions: Ci-Fi and gandhar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png
    XPrivacy

After weeks of research, development and testing I proudly present the ultimate, yet easy to use, privacy manager: XPrivacy.

XPrivacy can prevent applications from leaking privacy sensitive data. XPrivacy can restrict the categories of data an application can access. This is done by feeding an application with no or fake data. There are several data categories which can be restricted, for example contacts or location. For example, if you restrict access to contacts for an application, this will result in sending an empty contact list to the application. Similarly, restricting an application's access to your location will result in a set location being sent to the application.

You can use the successor XPrivacyLua on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later.

Features

• Simple to use
    • No need to patch anything (no source, no smali or anything else)
    • For any (stock) variant of Android version 4.0.3 - 6.0.1 (ICS, JellyBean, Lollipop, Marshmallow)
    • Newly installed applications are restricted by default
    • Displays data actually used by an application
    • Option to restrict on demand
    • Free and open source
    • Free from advertisements

Read more on GitHub

The download link is in the installation instructions

You can also use the XPrivacy Installer as an aid to install XPrivacy.

This forum is for questions only. See here for bug reports and feature requests.

Please post messages related to privacy only.
    XPrivacy is not intended to make other application do things they are not supposed to do.

There is only support for the latest official XPrivacy version.

XPrivacy was a lot of work, so please support this project

If you want to donate, see here for all options.

Use at your own risk !

The latest version from a while ago still works properly up to Android 6 Marshmallow, if Xposed works properly on your device
    (you can ignore any internal error report of XPrivacy, since these are known to be harmless)

XDA:DevDB Information
    XPrivacy, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacy

Xposed Package Name: biz.bokhorst.xprivacy

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.6.19
    Stable Release Date: 2015-07-01

Created 2014-08-03
    Last Updated 2018-02-08
    "More than 250 Android Games Use Your Mic to Track What You’re Watching"
    https://www.xda-developers.com/android-apps-tracking-mic-always-listening/

The above made me decide that we still need a decent privacy solution.

At this moment I have a fully functional proof of concept where Xposed hooks can be defined in JSON (text) files and can be applied to any app at runtime. The hook code can be written in LUA script. This means that hooks can be added without updating the Xposed module (for now called XLua).

To test XLua I have defined two hooks to fake the device location and applied them to the GPS status app. The result is that GPS status reports a fake location.

I will start with built-in privacy related hooks, but in the near future there might be a repository where you can download hook definitions from.

There is a lot more to tell about this, but I want to keep it brief for now. You are free to ask questions, but don't ask when it will be ready.

I wish you a happy and private new year.
    Due to too many bad experiences I will not be active on XDA anymore, which means that this will be my very last XDA comment. However, this doesn't mean I don't follow the XDA XPrivacy and NetGuard threads anymore and that development will be stopped. XPrivacy will be updated when critical bugs are found only (which didn't happen in more than a year). NetGuard will be maintained as well and new features might be added occasionally.

If you check my post count, you can see that I have been very supportive and that more than likely all mayor questions have been answered already. So, if you have a question, use the XDA search and you'll likely find an answer. If that fails, then other XDA members might be able to answer your question.

So, my last word: goodbye.
    After almost nine months since the initial release and after 85 experimental, test and beta releases since the last stable release, I have just made available stable version 2.0.

The main changes since the last stable version 1.11 are:

• Replaced XML settings files by a privacy service and privacy a database
      - Increased speed, stability and security
      - Allows for new features formerly not possible, like:
    • Added on demand restricting
      - XPrivacy will ask to allow/deny on actual function usage
    • Added white and black listing for files, IP addresses, domain names, commands, libraries and URLs
      - White and black listing on demand are available to anyone
      - White/black list management from the user interface requires a Pro license
      - Clearing restrictions will clear white/black lists too
    • Added parameters to usage data (option) (only Pro license)
    • Added a service to migrate settings, upgrade and randomize
    • Added sorting and extended filtering
    • Added multiple select and batch operations to set, reset, import and export restrictions
    • Added a series of new restrictions and improved existing restrictions
    • Added template for functions
    • Added user defined dangerous functions
    • Added in application documentation for all functions
    • Added switch to disable restrictions for each application
      - Allows for disabling restrictions, without taking away the ability to edit restrictions
    • Support for multiple users (if your device supports this)
    • XPrivacy became one of the Open Source Rookies of 2013
    • The number of crowd sourced restrictions is more than 5 million now
    • Donations are accepted in Bitcoins now too
    If you want to know all changes since the last stable version, you'll need to read the changelog, but be prepared: it is a long list.

Read here about how to upgrade:
    https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacy#upgrading

After handling over 1500 bug reports and feature requests and more than 5000 commits, I guess XPrivacy is pretty feature complete and bug free now. As I have said before, I don't want to continue working almost full time on this project, which doesn't mean reported bugs will not be addressed and also not that XPrivacy will not be updated for the next Android releases. It just means that no new big features will be added anymore. Since the core feature of XPrivacy is to protect your privacy, new restrictions will be added when requested.

XPrivacy was really a lot of work, so thanks or donations are appreciated.

If you think something should be written about this greatly enhanced version of XPrivacy on the XDA portal, you might want to use Tip us?.
    IF an Xposed version for Android 7 Nougat will be released, I MIGHT consider developing a paid only, slimmed down version of XPrivacy to protect your most privacy sensitive data, like contacts, calendars and location. We can discuss about what should be included. However, there would be no support to prevent tracking, so no restriction of device IDs, IP addresses, etc, since this is a lost battle anyway.

Would there be interest in this?