[RECOVERY] CWM 6.0 recovery for the ASUS ME172v (memopad)

Search This thread

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
Hi guys so after a long time I finally present to you the Clockworkmod recovery made for the ASUS MemoPad (ME172V)

Please note that this is a RC version and still needs a few more adjustments. However it's functional and mostly safe to use.

Now before you do anything read the guide carefully first and after that continue to flashing.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

What you need:
1.A ME172V tablet charged at least to 50%
2.A USB cable for transferring files.
3.A minimum 4GB microSD card formated to FAT32 (If it's formated to NTFS you'll have to reformat it)
4.A microSD computer adapter (optional)

1. ROOT
Ok so first you are gonna need to root this tablet.
For that we will use frank_que's root utility which can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42047570&postcount=263
You extract the root zip on the root of your SD card. After you've done that, power off your tablet and insert the card now power it up again. The tablet will show a blue screen with 3 options. Using volume buttons go to root me172v and confirm via the power button. After that just follow the onscreen instructions and you will be fine.

2. SYSTEM DUMP

After that you're gonna have to create a dump of your current system files. This time we will use frank_que's system dump utility which can also be found on the link above (get version 2). So you do the same thing as you did for root (NOTE that you have to delete the root script from the SD card first) only this time instead of root you should select create dump. After a while the device will shut itself down.

3.RECOVERY

Once you have the dump, remove the SD card and turn the tablet on. In the meantime open the SD card and inside you will see a me172v folder and inside it a folder named dump. In the dump folder replace the mmcblk1p3.img file with the one you got here.

After that, power off the tablet and insert the SD card into it. Now power on the tablet, and when the blue screen shows select restore a previously saved dump and confirm with power. Now it will restore the partition backups made earlier only this time it will restore a modified recovery partition. After that is complete again the tablet will shut down. You remove the SD card and power it on.

In order to boot to recovery, you have to use adb since there is no button combo (yet). To do that use
Code:
adb shell
su
reboot recovery

You can do that with the terminal emulator on the tablet itself too (just without the adb shell command).

Now it should boot into a touch-enabled CWM.

Note 1: In order to flash system files, you have to go to Mounts and storage and manually mount the /system partition.
Note 2: For now you can only install zips from the internal memory. Installation from the SD card is being worked on.
Note 3: Remember to delete the script from the SD card because if you don't when you restart your tablet with that SD card inside it will start up the script.

Download: http://d-h.st/vgk
Credits:
Many thanks to franq_que for making the dump and root utilites, then thanks to crazykiddo for testing this recovery and last but not least to cybojenix for teaching me everything I know about Android as well as making some edits to this recovery.

Last edited:

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
Screenshots:

lkQA55a.jpg

DZtk7NU.jpg

d54VvKN.jpg

Cj68BRx.jpg

Last edited:

supertomi

Mar 19, 2011
Does it Influence future system updates?

Thanks for your perfekt work!

Gesendet von meinem ME172V mit Tapatalk 2

darkensx

Feb 18, 2011
Dalton NH
ASUS ROG Phone 3
i assume the reason we cant enter cwm via a button combo is because the stock recovery does not even have one? -nice way to drop the ball there asus lol.... unless someone knows something i dont :-/ but hey if the op ever needs a tester or any dev for that matter with this device pm here ill be happy to help :)
oh btw nice work to the op

DvDwx.

Jul 21, 2013
?
Buddy.. other Dev. show me something useful to you from Malasya Blog and than i found the Original Dev on Facebook Group... CMW / TWRP recovery to WM8850/WM8950 - ICS / JB ROM's .. the sources is FB Group, Blog (TWRP ICS) (TWRP JB) (CWM) ... some mirrors links to files -> CMW / TWRP JB
---
This other Dev already tested this on WM8880 and for our surprise that works... i don't know if have bugs but works =D

Reactions: nerotNS

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
Is there any plan to bring this to newest firmware? :) @nerotNS

Perhaps, but at some later point, right now I'm working on 5.0 for the S3

i assume the reason we cant enter cwm via a button combo is because the stock recovery does not even have one? -nice way to drop the ball there asus lol.... unless someone knows something i dont :-/ but hey if the op ever needs a tester or any dev for that matter with this device pm here ill be happy to help :)
oh btw nice work to the op

The bootloader is the one to blame for not being able to boot with button combo, since they're not defined. I'm surprised why asus is locking it up so much...

Buddy.. other Dev. show me something useful to you from Malasya Blog and than i found the Original Dev on Facebook Group... CMW / TWRP recovery to WM8850/WM8950 - ICS / JB ROM's .. the sources is FB Group, Blog (TWRP ICS) (TWRP JB) (CWM) ... some mirrors links to files -> CMW / TWRP JB
---
This other Dev already tested this on WM8880 and for our surprise that works... i don't know if have bugs but works =D

I'll check this out later and see what they have. Thanks for the tip

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Stiles0513

Mar 6, 2009
dump recovery

this is my first time posting to a forum, so i hope i'm doing it right. i rooted my memo and it went correctly. then i did the dump. it saved to my sd, i changed out the file and then restarted. however, there are only the three options i have when i do the dump. create dump, reboot, power off. there is no option to recovery a saved dump. have i missed a step?
i have attached(assuming i did it correctly) a pic of the screen

nvr mind. i found the 2nd ver file and it has the recover option

Attachments

• IMG_20150221_090537_028.jpg
    IMG_20150221_090537_028.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

kostett

Jul 21, 2014
How I can make full backup of my filesystem with apps and its settings to an external microSD, not internal memory?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys so after a long time I finally present to you the Clockworkmod recovery made for the ASUS MemoPad (ME172V)

Please note that this is a RC version and still needs a few more adjustments. However it's functional and mostly safe to use.

Now before you do anything read the guide carefully first and after that continue to flashing.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

What you need:
    1.A ME172V tablet charged at least to 50%
    2.A USB cable for transferring files.
    3.A minimum 4GB microSD card formated to FAT32 (If it's formated to NTFS you'll have to reformat it)
    4.A microSD computer adapter (optional)

1. ROOT
    Ok so first you are gonna need to root this tablet.
    For that we will use frank_que's root utility which can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42047570&postcount=263
    You extract the root zip on the root of your SD card. After you've done that, power off your tablet and insert the card now power it up again. The tablet will show a blue screen with 3 options. Using volume buttons go to root me172v and confirm via the power button. After that just follow the onscreen instructions and you will be fine.

2. SYSTEM DUMP

After that you're gonna have to create a dump of your current system files. This time we will use frank_que's system dump utility which can also be found on the link above (get version 2). So you do the same thing as you did for root (NOTE that you have to delete the root script from the SD card first) only this time instead of root you should select create dump. After a while the device will shut itself down.

3.RECOVERY

Once you have the dump, remove the SD card and turn the tablet on. In the meantime open the SD card and inside you will see a me172v folder and inside it a folder named dump. In the dump folder replace the mmcblk1p3.img file with the one you got here.

After that, power off the tablet and insert the SD card into it. Now power on the tablet, and when the blue screen shows select restore a previously saved dump and confirm with power. Now it will restore the partition backups made earlier only this time it will restore a modified recovery partition. After that is complete again the tablet will shut down. You remove the SD card and power it on.

In order to boot to recovery, you have to use adb since there is no button combo (yet). To do that use
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    reboot recovery

You can do that with the terminal emulator on the tablet itself too (just without the adb shell command).

Now it should boot into a touch-enabled CWM.

Note 1: In order to flash system files, you have to go to Mounts and storage and manually mount the /system partition.
    Note 2: For now you can only install zips from the internal memory. Installation from the SD card is being worked on.
    Note 3: Remember to delete the script from the SD card because if you don't when you restart your tablet with that SD card inside it will start up the script.

Download: http://d-h.st/vgk
    Credits:
    Many thanks to franq_que for making the dump and root utilites, then thanks to crazykiddo for testing this recovery and last but not least to cybojenix for teaching me everything I know about Android as well as making some edits to this recovery.
    Does it Influence future system updates?

Thanks for your perfekt work!

Gesendet von meinem ME172V mit Tapatalk 2

Not as far as we know. However if we get a full custom ROM, then it will.
    ---