[ROM] 27/May Alpha r22.1 - MoDaCo Custom Desire Port (final Alpha)

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
screen1.png
screen2.png
screen3.png

screen4.png
screen6.png
screen5.png

READ ALL OF THIS POST AND THE ONE AFTER IT!

No, really, read it all. There's important information in here, honest!

Edit: Desire to Nexus One port status update - read

What is it?

As you all know, HTC have announced the 'HTC Desire', which is effectively HTC's version of the Nexus One. It shares a lot of the same hardware, but features cool stuff like HTC Sense and other cool apps (such as a camera app with face recognition, touch focus etc. etc.). The product is due to launch soon, which means ROMs have started to leak. This Alpha release is one such leak.

Alpha? That sounds scary?

Yeah, this isn't even Beta. There's a good chance you won't want to use this as your main ROM, but you might like to check out what's coming down the road.

So what works?

Almost everything - it's quicker to talk about what doesn't work. Aside from the FM radio, there appear to be no hardware incompatibilities that will cause a problem between the two devices. Even the noise cancelling microphone is functional in this ROM. The only problems with the ROM are related to the fact that HTC are yet to release the Desire kernel source, and there's a lot of changes in there. For the latest known issues status, please see the post below.

Tell me about partitions!

The Desire has a different partition layout to the Nexus One, which means some stuff had to be moved from /system to /data. No biggie, and with each Alpha release i'm optimising further to improve the situation. Be aware that this means you must wipe BEFORE installing the ROM and NOT AFTER, or it won't boot. A wipe is strongly recommended before trying this ROM - and remember to nandroid backup first!

What else are you working on for the ROM?

I have deliberately left this ROM un-odex'd, as I know other ROM developers will like to have a play with it (remember to credit your source guys!). Going forward, odex'ing the ROM makes a lot of sense to save space, although it's less of an issue now I have moved the dalvik-cache to the cache partition (as in cyanogen's ROM).

What kernel are you using? Any other tweaks worth knowing about?

The ROM has the usual MCR tweaks (tun.ko, openvpn, busybox, dropbear etc.) and is running a custom kernel by teknologist and myself based on the stock .33 source (check the changelog below for more details). Himem is enabled. The kernel runs at standard clock speeds, uniquely only using undervolt at the lowest clock speeds.

This is great - how can we say thanks?

Details on how to support my work should you wish to do so (any contributions are gratefully received) are available on the download page.

Alright, i've read enough, gimme the downloads!

One download, update zip format, apply via Amon_RA's excellent recovery image, remember to Nandroid backup first. You probably won't want to use this as your production ROM yet!

DOWNLOAD

These links use referrer checking to prevent bandwidth theft - if you get redirected to the MoDaCo homepage, try 'right click save as', another browser, or disabling noscript / ad blocking

One more thing?

To finish i'd like to say 'enjoy playing with the ROM', thanks for your support and here's looking forward to the final Desire release (after a few more Betas) on our beloved Nexus Ones! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyonex

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Known Issues
  • Bluetooth does not work reliably
  • FM Radio finds stations but does not produce any sound
  • Footprints camera view is rotated 90 degrees
  • USB mount notification does not fire - use 'USB Mount' application from menu.
Changelog

Alpha r22.1
  • Fixed issue where governor would lock to userspace instead of OnDemand, locking the device to 768MHz (WTF!)
  • Added gr0gmint's R2 JIT as a kitchen option
Alpha r22
  • Now using CyanogenMod apns-conf.xml
  • ROM is now unified with Desire release for faster updates to newer builds
  • Complete ground-up rework
  • Based on 1.21.xxx.x Desire ROM with elements of EPF21B
  • Now sited lib on /data instead of /framework, to free up space on /system for kitchen components.
Alpha r21
  • Updated Camera application (no other changes)
Alpha r20
  • Rebased on a new leak... AGAIN!
  • Now includes TCK 0.8
  • Long SMS issue fixed
  • Updated APN list
  • HTC_CIME Chinese Input added
  • Hebrew fonts added
  • Clock widgets fixed
  • Various minor tweaks / fixes
Alpha 19
  • New su and Superuser APK
  • Important update to dalvik-cache to /cache
  • RIL update
Alpha 18
  • Reverted APN file to match Alpha 17 (apologies to our US friends!)
  • Switched HTC IME back to Jonasl's port (version 18, thanks for the bugfix!)
  • Patched Rosie (Sense) to allow click-drag-ordering again (not included in shipping Desire!)
Alpha 17
  • This update is based on 1.15.405.3, which is the Desire shipping ROM
  • Completely rebuilt everything from the ground up - please report any issues not shown in the 'known issues' above
  • Reverted HTC IME to stock version
  • Prebaked download is now available with or without MoDaCo additions
Alpha 16
  • Reworked Camera application modifications from scratch - pictures should now be better quality and the flash will now fire as accurately as on a real Desire
  • Fixed HTC Footprints
  • Updated Google Maps to 4.1
Alpha 15
  • Added Sense UI Live Wallpaper (thanks Stericson + secret source!)
  • Added Navigation Panel (thanks Stericson + secret source!)
  • Updated HTC IME to jonasl's version 16, made optional in kitchen
  • Updated Titanium Backup
  • Updated Live Wallpapers to fix ordering issue (hopefully, only after wipe)
  • Reverted Maps to stock version - for non US navigation check out Brut's patched version.
  • Added Trackball notification options to the kitchen
Alpha 14
  • Fix for screen brightness control
Alpha 13
  • TRACKBALL NOTIFICATIONS! See this post for further details!
  • EPE54B RIL library (I recommend you use the latest radio)
Alpha 12
  • Now includes Teknologist's TCK 0.7. This is based on the official .33 repositories, with only minor tweaks. The ROM is undervolted only for frequencies < 256MHz ;)
  • Updated HTC_IME to jonasl's v13, based on my Desire leak
  • RIL updates (more connection quality and stability in my experience) - ERE36B radio recommended
  • Live Wallpapers ordering fix (sorry, wipe required)
  • Optional Nexus One boot animation
  • Desk Clock (Dock) music app fix (now uses HTC Music app)
Alpha 11
  • Now includes Teknologist's TCK 0.6. This is based on the official .33 repositories, with only minor tweaks. The ROM is undervolted for the base/stock 245MHz frequency and tweaks the capacitive buttons slightly (thanks kmobs), it uses the CFS I/O scheduler.
  • Now includes a customised HTC Camera application with working flash and 5 megapixel modes.
  • Configuration changes made to try and resolve problem with some missing applications from the market. Please provide feedback.
  • Updated Titanium Backup, WaveSecure and Wired Tether applications.
  • Added Amazon MP3 to the kitchen.
  • Added the option to exclude the HTC World Clock application in favour of the dock friendly Google Desk Clock application.
Alpha 10
  • Now includes Teknologist's TCK 0.5. Minor config tweaks to bring config closer to that of the original Bravo after we obtained stock Bravo config.
  • Minor updates to boot image, should fix issues with key backlights and repeat notifications. Also adds flashing LED for notifications.
Alpha 9
  • Repacked boot image, including TCK 0.4, to avoid flashing issue. Minor kernel config tweaks.
  • 'Car Home' included by request.
  • Bootsound removed - it will be an optional extra in the kitchen. It was annoying me. :)
Alpha 8
  • Hugely, HUGELY, optimised for space. Only the framework sits on /data now (and there's 12MB free on system currently!), and I foresee that with more work, we might even be able to fit everything on /system!
  • dalvik-cache moved to /cache, this frees up a ton of space on /data
  • .32 Custom kernel by myself and teknologist with undervolt for low frequencies only, our usual modules etc. for VPN, tun and the like, props to persiansown for the UC source and cyanogen for the kernel git - this should fix Bluetooth!
  • USB mount app preinstalled
  • Maps 4 port by Brut preinstalled which adds multitouch and non US navigation (both tested)
  • Gallery 3D app from Nexus One preinstalled (multitouch tested and working)
  • Added default android keyboard with voice search - also fixes voice search issues!
  • Added alternate news widget from Nexus One (GenieWidget)
  • Online kitchen for MoDaCo Ad Free / Plus members (see my sig for deets)
  • Slimmed down customize directory with added en-US - thanks qteknology for the inspiration. All the space counts!
Alpha 7
  • Fixed issue with ringtones list
Alpha 6
  • Changes to try and resolve random reboots
Alpha 5
  • Fixed white screen on boot, wifi and update-script issues
  • Fixed graphical glitching
Alpha 1-4
  • Disastrous

Last edited:

kronarq

Jun 12, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
www.kronarq.com
Did a full wipe and flashed Alpha 5.
First boot took 2 minutes 40 seconds from cold boot. Subsequent boots took 20-30 seconds.
Rom seems pretty fast although I do see some (minor) slowness coming from CyanogenMod.
HTC setup is working. Including adding wifi and setting up your Google, Facebook, Flickr, and Twitter accounts.
Camera is working at the reported 3mp resolution and facial recognition also works.
Flash works but as others have reported it is slow and Hulu.com still doesn't work so your dreams of Hulu on the go are going to have to wait.
The included gallery app is definitely not as eye candy rich as Google's but it is usable.
As we all know the HTC IME is far better then the stock keyboard.
As stated FM doesn't work but it seems to be trying. It will scan and pick up local stations it just can't seem to produce audio from them.
The proximity and light sensors actually seem to be working better then Stock/CM builds.
USB-MS does not appear to be working. In settings there is a "Connect to PC" option that is set to "Charge Only" with additional options of HTC Sync, Disk Drive, and Internet Sharing. Switching to Disk Drive and trying both ask me and automatic I was not able to have it show as a mounted drive.

With the exception of the USB-MS issue this rom seems very good considering it's alpha state and I can see alot of poeple using this as their daily driver. I did not experience any graphical glitches like in the previous alphas. All in all this is in far better shape already then any Sense port to the G1.

Keep up the good work Paul.

Last edited:

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
@Paul, I've installed it but something weird happened. I was stuck at the HTC bootscreen and then after a while my "old" wallpaper showed from my CM rom install :confused: I did a wipe and everything so no idea what happened.

Trying to reflash as of now :)

EDIT: works brill! thanks!

Great work! and thankyou v much!

Last edited:

t2abousa

Dec 22, 2009
quick question, does bluetooth work now? on alpha 3 i could turn it on but not find any devices, thanks

kenyonj

Jan 8, 2010
does the USB - MS mode work now as well?

btw: I have been with you since Alpha1 (yesterday)... awesome job on this, thanks so much!

Last edited:

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008

yep very! its working now but during the initial setup i got a reboot whilst searching for wifi.

and just now whilst trying again it rebooted once more.

EDIT: joined #modaco but you're not on to chat with so reporting finds here

EDIT: 3rd time on setup and rebooted again. Im trying to skip it but no luck lol Can see the graphics have been fixed so im loving it already though!!

shaniac

Nov 7, 2006
Fantastic work, paul! Thanks much, and I'll be dropping by to buy kitchen access!

Notes:
1) My SD card isn't loaded upon boot. I'm an android n00b, but I've noticed that android really doesn't like to run without an SD card, and indeed, I got a couple of spontaneous reboots. This last time, I hit the notification area instantly and pressed the SD card notification, it loaded the card, and I haven't had a reboot since (yet).

2) I've had apps tell me to insert SD card, even though the notification is gone, and things seem to be working well. More details as situation develops.

(sd card is SanDisk 8G Class 2, installed this ROM after a wipe, previous ROM CyanogenMod 5.0.3)

UPDATE: yeah, Titanium Backup is not seeing my SD card at all. Trying to mount it via adb shell, not really sure what the device name is! If anyone knows, chime in! Otherwise, let's learn together!

Last edited:

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
any news on sync? none of the syncs seem to be working atm for me.

thanks

XZQ't

Jan 14, 2010
just flash it , seem too good to be alpha :D

i'll play around with it for a while and will get back

## confirm about reboot issue , but i had it when testing a keyboard .. type word SIMPLE or something .. then N1 reboot all of sudden ##

GNOve

Jun 25, 2009
reboots galore :(

When I try to sign in to facebook. when i try to connect to wifi.

Speed is fantastic and my internet is way faster then the stock rom.

Ok when i try to access the downloads section in the android market i get reboots.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok question for everyone....in prior Alpha releases the friendstream widget offered to update both my twitter and my facebook but now in Alpha 21 it only offers to update my facebook....is this the same for everyone or does anyone know to to fix this
    screen1.png
    screen2.png
    screen3.png

screen4.png
    screen6.png
    screen5.png

READ ALL OF THIS POST AND THE ONE AFTER IT!

No, really, read it all. There's important information in here, honest!

Edit: Desire to Nexus One port status update - read

What is it?

As you all know, HTC have announced the 'HTC Desire', which is effectively HTC's version of the Nexus One. It shares a lot of the same hardware, but features cool stuff like HTC Sense and other cool apps (such as a camera app with face recognition, touch focus etc. etc.). The product is due to launch soon, which means ROMs have started to leak. This Alpha release is one such leak.

Alpha? That sounds scary?

Yeah, this isn't even Beta. There's a good chance you won't want to use this as your main ROM, but you might like to check out what's coming down the road.

So what works?

Almost everything - it's quicker to talk about what doesn't work. Aside from the FM radio, there appear to be no hardware incompatibilities that will cause a problem between the two devices. Even the noise cancelling microphone is functional in this ROM. The only problems with the ROM are related to the fact that HTC are yet to release the Desire kernel source, and there's a lot of changes in there. For the latest known issues status, please see the post below.

Tell me about partitions!

The Desire has a different partition layout to the Nexus One, which means some stuff had to be moved from /system to /data. No biggie, and with each Alpha release i'm optimising further to improve the situation. Be aware that this means you must wipe BEFORE installing the ROM and NOT AFTER, or it won't boot. A wipe is strongly recommended before trying this ROM - and remember to nandroid backup first!

What else are you working on for the ROM?

I have deliberately left this ROM un-odex'd, as I know other ROM developers will like to have a play with it (remember to credit your source guys!). Going forward, odex'ing the ROM makes a lot of sense to save space, although it's less of an issue now I have moved the dalvik-cache to the cache partition (as in cyanogen's ROM).

What kernel are you using? Any other tweaks worth knowing about?

The ROM has the usual MCR tweaks (tun.ko, openvpn, busybox, dropbear etc.) and is running a custom kernel by teknologist and myself based on the stock .33 source (check the changelog below for more details). Himem is enabled. The kernel runs at standard clock speeds, uniquely only using undervolt at the lowest clock speeds.

This is great - how can we say thanks?

Details on how to support my work should you wish to do so (any contributions are gratefully received) are available on the download page.

Alright, i've read enough, gimme the downloads!

One download, update zip format, apply via Amon_RA's excellent recovery image, remember to Nandroid backup first. You probably won't want to use this as your production ROM yet!

DOWNLOAD

These links use referrer checking to prevent bandwidth theft - if you get redirected to the MoDaCo homepage, try 'right click save as', another browser, or disabling noscript / ad blocking

One more thing?

To finish i'd like to say 'enjoy playing with the ROM', thanks for your support and here's looking forward to the final Desire release (after a few more Betas) on our beloved Nexus Ones! :)
    Hey any of u guys noticed that the battery turns so hot while recharging... Mine popped 44 degrees C today.. Is this related to the new kernel or anything cos i havent noticed this on stock..
    Been flashing so many versions of the rom le...

But this time, the phone got stuck at the htc welcome screen and keep looping the welcome screen...

Wiped and installed from r21. Is there a need to wipe the sd card partition?
    Cos that is the one thing i did not wipe....

Someone help?!