Z3 To Be Released In 2014?

Search This thread

Fadeless

Mar 24, 2014
London
I recently came across a bunch a rumors that Sony plans to release another flagship phone, Z3, in 2014 6 months after the Z2 is released. So basically the same scenario with the Z1 and Z2.

Is this a wise move from Sony? Wouldn't it just anger customers as they will have just purchased their newest flagship only to be replaced by another 6 month later so that feeling of having the latest Sony phones dies out. By the time one finishes their contract 3 new Sony flagships would have been released, that takes the piss.

I am guessing this would also cause updates to be even slower since they have more models to focus on, or they could just drop the older models which again is sad.

What do you guys think?

KyleSforza

Mar 9, 2013
Delhi
www.facebook.com
I think its important so Sony can become a force to recon with.

In the second half of the year the newer S805 chipset will be out, thus Z3 is a much needed upgrade over Z2 to keep Sony ahead of the competition.

If you look at it, Samsung releases a new flagship every 6 months too, in the form of Galaxy S lineup and Galaxy Note lineup.

augie7107

Mar 18, 2009
Boston
Sony Xperia Pro-I
Sony has been releasing a flagship or improved variant every six months for years. Count on another this holiday season.

Sent from my C6906 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

srimay

Dec 10, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
6 month release cycle is their philosophy for always being able to stay cutting edge and have the latest hardware offerings.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

JMonkeYJ

Jul 22, 2008
As long as Sony doesn't skimp on the design and improvements, I think it's great that they release a flagship every 6 months. After all, even if they don't, someone else will release a phone with better specs in that time frame and your phone still won't be top of the line anymore. That's just the way technology works.

X

x102x96x

i

I recently came across a bunch a rumors that Sony plans to release another flagship phone, Z3, in 2014 6 months after the Z2 is released. So basically the same scenario with the Z1 and Z2.

Is this a wise move from Sony? Wouldn't it just anger customers as they will have just purchased their newest flagship only to be replaced by another 6 month later so that feeling of having the latest Sony phones dies out. By the time one finishes their contract 3 new Sony flagships would have been released, that takes the piss.

I am guessing this would also cause updates to be even slower since they have more models to focus on, or they could just drop the older models which again is sad.

What do you guys think?

they said 6months but didn't mention XZ3!
as year policy they won't release any huge improvements cause XZ1 will remain main flagship for this year.
maybe in CES15 they release something really huge.

But we can be sure about expected specs for that;
no more than 3GB RAM
and in my opinion they will clock cpu on 2.5GHz
display won't be more than 5.2" for smartphone but different design is 100%
and other feature will be just tweaks of current features.

:good:

Fadeless

Mar 24, 2014
London
I guess it's good for Sony to do this but it does make people with their phones feel like crap since they get outdated very fast.

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
I guess it's good for Sony to do this but it does make people with their phones feel like crap since they get outdated very fast.

Sony needs to do that to capture as much market as it possibly could.

If it means angering a few... lets use the expression "passionate users", over an outdated phone because they have the need to always get the latest and greates - then so be it. This way they can capture people upgrading their contracts both at the beginning of the year - and at the end.

AirSupply

Mar 6, 2008
Sony needs to do that to capture as much market as it possibly could.

If it means angering a few... lets use the expression "passionate users", over an outdated phone because they have the need to always get the latest and greates - then so be it. This way they can capture people upgrading their contracts both at the beginning of the year - and at the end.

I totally agree with the whole idea of "making new flagship device every 6 months". However, with their current distribution strategy, that idea is worthless because consumers don't have access to their devices in a timely manner. This bottleneck is the greatest constraint that prevents them from capturing more market share, especially in US.

Crazy CS

Jun 25, 2008
Melbourne
Whatever happens with the Z3 i hope Sony learn their bloody lesson and announce and release phones within a 4 week window like HTC and Samsung usually do... not this 2-3 month later bull crap.

amirprog

Sep 19, 2013
@Fadeless
I don't know where you have been but sony is releasing a new flagship every 6 months since the year 2011. the reason or one of the reason for it is because the japanese consumer demands it. anyway, it doesn't really matter since most people buy an expensive phone for a good 3 years or more and you should buy what you like and be happy with your purchase regardless of what is coming in the future.

macallen

Dec 23, 2012
Shanghai
www.sony-uxt.com
they said 6months but didn't mention XZ3!
as year policy they won't release any huge improvements cause XZ1 will remain main flagship for this year.
maybe in CES15 they release something really huge.

But we can be sure about expected specs for that;
no more than 3GB RAM
and in my opinion they will clock cpu on 2.5GHz
display won't be more than 5.2" for smartphone but different design is 100%
and other feature will be just tweaks of current features.

:good:

what I can confirmed:
2nd generation Omni Balance design
late Sep, 2014
integrated QI
late 2014 will release Z3 compact(4.6“)

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth

I think the Z3 willl be com with this Changes :

New design
new software
new futures ( Specs. )
memory 16 or 32 <-------------- This is a Joke, Right? Minimum acceptable 64GB!
Battery 3500 - 3600
Qulacomm SD 805
2.5 - 2.7 GHz

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
They said that they will release another flagship this year and that they won't stick to a single design. So basically it doesn't necessarily have to be Z3... might be X1 or F1 or any other new series with a different design.