[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Unfortunately, there is some truth in this. My grandchildren almost never use email anymore. They're all using text messaging apps.

Your next project Marcel?
I agree there is some truth in it, but email is certainly not dead. In my email archive there are literally 100 thousands of messages (if that isn't a dinosaur, what is?) and they are not old, at least not as old as I am ;)

Moreover, most business related emails (health care, insurance, etc) have some form of tracking, so FairEmail has its function, at least to me.

My next project is to enjoy life ;)

Reactions: TiTiB and chantoine

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
My promotion of FailrEmail is - besides the Pro purchase - my signature (in German) which is automatically set by FairEmail under all mails I write with FairEmail.
It reads:
"--
Actually, nobody likes this Advertising,
but if anyone does care:
I wrote this mail on a UMIDIGI S3 Pro
with FairEmail [https://email.faircode.eu/]."

Reactions: beeshyams and M66B

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
How about put the message in the non-pro version with an option to remove or modify it.

I'm searching how to put such a message as we speak.
Setup > Manage identities > Tap an identity > Signature

Maybe that could be set to a default too to promote FairEmail. I will think about that.

Edit: maybe "Sent with a privacy friendly email app: FairEmail" ?

Last edited:
Reactions: chantoine

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
If you insert a corresponding note in every mail sent with FairEmail by default, then it should be separated from the actual mail text by a "correct" signature - and then I would have to remove my own signature again ... ;)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
If you insert a corresponding note in every mail sent with FairEmail by default, then it should be separated from the actual mail text by a "correct" signature - and then I would have to remove my own signature again ... ;)
The signature will be set to a default on adding a new identity, also when using the quick setup, and existing signatures will be left alone.

I am not sure yet if existing empty signatures should be replaced by a default.

The default text is already available for translation on Crowdin.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Marcel, if you want to introduce a default signature - whether for new identities or empty signatures of existing identities - I think you have to
1. ask the user, like this: I would like to make FairEmail better known and therefore put the following text in the signature under each e-mail you write with this identity "...". Is that o.k. for you? YES / NO.
2. completely rewrite the signature handling. Because with a central, program-side signature, this would not only have to be displayed to the user in the draft, but he would also have to be able to edit it for individual e-mails or delete it completely. This editing of the signature would then of course also have to be saved in the same way (in the outbox) and would not then be replaced by the default signature when sending.

beeshyams

Dec 29, 2014
Bangalore
If you have suggestions to promote FairEmail in a nice way, please let me know.

I would suggest taking some time to answer questions related to Email on Stack Exchange Android Enthusiasts. It does have a decent readership but more importantly draws tons of Google search results (I am saying this with the knowledge of being a moderator in the past and having insight into facts) . Without revealing percentages, let me assure you that Google search is #1 draw to the site, miles ahead of other options. And while you are at it, you can address XPrivacyLua related aspects too

I would have done it but my on line activities are severely restricted for other reasons

Signature idea discussed later in the thread stinks. No offense to anyone. It will only help you getting negative comments. Folks who care will support you anyway, and those who don't have another stick to bash you with.

m0d

Nov 3, 2010
The signature will be set to a default on adding a new identity, also when using the quick setup, and existing signatures will be left alone.

I am not sure yet if existing empty signatures should be replaced by a default.

The default text is already available for translation on Crowdin.

In quick setup, user should choose what to put.
I recommend making it clear what signature would be so that user are not taken by surprise when they see it.
Which is also why I do not think having signature added to users with empty signatures. As all of a sudden signature will start appearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: heinhuiz

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Marcel, if you want to introduce a default signature - whether for new identities or empty signatures of existing identities - I think you have to
1. ask the user, like this: I would like to make FairEmail better known and therefore put the following text in the signature under each e-mail you write with this identity "...". Is that o.k. for you? YES / NO.
2. completely rewrite the signature handling. Because with a central, program-side signature, this would not only have to be displayed to the user in the draft, but he would also have to be able to edit it for individual e-mails or delete it completely. This editing of the signature would then of course also have to be saved in the same way (in the outbox) and would not then be replaced by the default signature when sending.
Most email apps set a default signature and FairEmail is also going to do this too in the next release (only for new identities). I have added hints to the setup screen, so it will be clearer how to change signatures (and a few other commonly asked things).

The current solution allows for a signature per identity, which is more flexible than a common signature for all identities. Since identities can be switched while composing a message, the signature needs to be switched to. This cannot be done reliably when the identity is part of the text to edit.

Reactions: TiTiB and m0d

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I would suggest taking some time to answer questions related to Email on Stack Exchange Android Enthusiasts. It does have a decent readership but more importantly draws tons of Google search results (I am saying this with the knowledge of being a moderator in the past and having insight into facts) . Without revealing percentages, let me assure you that Google search is #1 draw to the site, miles ahead of other options. And while you are at it, you can address XPrivacyLua related aspects too

I would have done it but my on line activities are severely restricted for other reasons

Signature idea discussed later in the thread stinks. No offense to anyone. It will only help you getting negative comments. Folks who care will support you anyway, and those who don't have another stick to bash you with.
Point me to any question related to my apps on Stack Exchange and I will happily answer it.

Reactions: m0d
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.