[MOD][XPOSED][4.1+] All Notifications Expanded

Search This thread

UgglyNoodle

Aug 11, 2012
regularly.ugglynoodle.com
I made a simple Xposed module which causes all notifications to be initially shown in their expanded state inside the notification drawer. (The stock behaviour is that only the first notification is expanded.) Notifications may still be contracted manually and will stay that way.

There is no settings activity. This module just does one thing for now.

Requires Jelly Bean or above with the Xposed framework installed.

Props to @rovo89 for the awesome Xposed framework!

You can grab it from its Xposed Module Repository page.

Last edited:

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
Great job, this is a thing I wanted for a long time, and is one of the last 3 things I want to see implemented with xposed (the others can be done without, but AFAIK xposed modules don't use as much ram as standalone apps)

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
this is something that has bugged me since 4.1. my first notification will be something like email or app updates and ill get a text message and cant just hit reply or make as read without first expanding the notification. one of my top annoyances fixed! thanks, you made my day. all these xposed modules are solving all my problems with android, soon i wont have anything to complain about... im giving out thanks buttons like candy.

egingell

Apr 10, 2012
blog.sophielabuf.com
this is something that has bugged me since 4.1. my first notification will be something like email or app updates and ill get a text message and cant just hit reply or make as read without first expanding the notification. one of my top annoyances fixed! thanks, you made my day. all these xposed modules are solving all my problems with android, soon i wont have anything to complain about... im giving out thanks buttons like candy.

Mine would collapse just before clicking whichever button and I would end up clicking the next notification down. I'd have to expand it twice - the second time, it wouldn't collapse.

----
Summon Logcat. It's super effective.

SGS2 - JB 4.1.2 GB27
SGS4 - JB 4.2.2 MF9

Looki75

Apr 1, 2010
Great job! I like this module!
I have 2 remarks :
1. Could you let the "permanent" notification behaves like by default? Or offer the option in a settings page?
2. Ideally, there would be a settings page in which we could choose the behavior for each app/package independently...

Thanks

Reactions: SpasilliumNexus
D

Deleted member 2086469

I have 2 remarks :
1. Could you let the "permanent" notification behaves like by default? Or offer the option in a settings page?
2. Ideally, there would be a settings page in which we could choose the behavior for each app/package independently...

Thanks

+1 for second suggestion, that would make my phone perfect! As I only wan few apps to expand notification on permanent basis ;)

UgglyNoodle

Aug 11, 2012
I have 2 remarks :

Thanks

Do permanent notifications have special behaviour in regards to being expanded or not? Let me know exactly what you mean and I can investigate!

For your second suggestion, I have already planned to do this, but unfortunately I think it will have to wait at least until the new year. I have already been naughty working on these modules when I have a million other things to do!

Reactions: gengi

Looki75

Apr 1, 2010
Do permanent notifications have special behaviour in regards to being expanded or not? Let me know exactly what you mean and I can investigate!

For your second suggestion, I have already planned to do this, but unfortunately I think it will have to wait at least until the new year. I have already been naughty working on these modules when I have a million other things to do!

Thanks for the quick reply!

1/ Permanent notifications: they behave differently than other notifications, yes.
Default android behavior (at least here on my JB4.1.2 TouchWiz ROM): you cannot expand them with fingers
With your module: they stay expanded, but then you cannot wrap them with fingers
It's like there is no other interaction possible other than clicking on them. You cannot swipe them away, and you cannot expand/wrap.
So the issue with the module is that the notification stays there wide expanded when sometimes you don't need it, and there is nothing to do about it: it will stay expanded.

Solutions?
A. Ideally... if I can dream... would be that your module allow expand/wrap interaction with these permanent notifications...
Is that possible at all???

B. Backup solution would be to allow a setting to choose to expand or not these permanent notifications

C. A 3rd way to go would be to just let permanent notifications with their default system behavior. After all, we mainly need your module for the temporary notifications: emails, test msg, etc...

Solution C is probably the easiest to code? And would be enough for users (at least for me).

2/ No hurry for the second suggestion. Good to know you plan having this. Will be patient! :D

egingell

Apr 10, 2012
blog.sophielabuf.com
If it were put to a vote, I'd vote for C - ignore persistent notifications. B as a second choice. But either way, they need to be manually expandable. I just tried and, he's right, they are not expandable.

----

SGS2 - JB 4.1.2 GB27
SGS4 - JB 4.2.2 MF9

UgglyNoodle

Aug 11, 2012
1/ Permanent notifications: they behave differently than other notifications, yes.
Default android behavior (at least here on my JB4.1.2 TouchWiz ROM): you cannot expand them with fingers
With your module: they stay expanded, but then you cannot wrap them with fingers
It's like there is no other interaction possible other than clicking on them. You cannot swipe them away, and you cannot expand/wrap.
So the issue with the module is that the notification stays there wide expanded when sometimes you don't need it, and there is nothing to do about it: it will stay expanded.

I guess perhaps I don't understand what is meant by "permanent notifications". I thought you meant any notification which cannot be swiped away, but I just tried with Google Music and Power Toggles, and both notifications can be contracted and expanded with my module running.

So could you provide some examples of permanent notifications which you cannot contract? Thanks!
@egingell, are you also on a TouchWiz ROM? If TouchWiz notifications have different behaviour, then I'll have to figure out how to support it - right now I'm just working off AOSP source code.

Looki75

Apr 1, 2010
I guess perhaps I don't understand what is meant by "permanent notifications". I thought you meant any notification which cannot be swiped away, but I just tried with Google Music and Power Toggles, and both notifications can be contracted and expanded with my module running.

So could you provide some examples of permanent notifications which you cannot contract? Thanks!

@egingell, are you also on a TouchWiz ROM? If TouchWiz notifications have different behaviour, then I'll have to figure out how to support it - right now I'm just working off AOSP source code.

Strange... You understood perfectly what I'm talking about: those persistent notifications that you cannot swipe away...

Well I refer to "App Dialer".
It places a persistent notification. I have 2 other persistent notifications. When the 3 are there, the 2-lines App Dialer one wraps up. Then impossible to unfold with 2 fingers.

With your module, it stays open. Impossible to wrap up...

Can you make a try with App Dialer?

Thanks

claytonjn

Nov 3, 2011
claytonjamesphotography.webs.com
I'm going to shed some light on the subject of "permanent" or "ongoing" notifications.

On my S4, with stock TouchWiz Android 4.3, ongoing notifications behave just like other notifications, they are just grouped separately. If there is an ongoing notification that can be expanded, it is expanded by default when the notification shade is opened and all other notifications are collapsed. If there isn't an ongoing notification that can be expanded, the first regular notification is expanded by default.

On my Note 10.1 with stock TouchWiz Android 4.1.2, however, if there is an ongoing notification that can be expanded it will be expanded by default and cannot be collapsed. All other behavior is the same.

On my Galaxy Nexus, which obviously ran AOSP based ROMs, I never remember having an ongoing notification I couldn't expand.

I do not have any mods or exposed modules effecting the behavior of the notifications on either device.

I'm assuming egingell was referring to the behavior on the devices in his signature, so it looks like between 4.2 and 4.3 Samsung changed the behavior of the ongoing notification expansion, and I would assume this only effects TouchWiz ROMs because I don't know of others that group ongoing and regular notifications separately.

EDIT: Make that somewhere between 4.1.2 and 4.3 (See eginell's post above)

egingell

Apr 10, 2012
blog.sophielabuf.com
I don't know if it's noteworthy, but if there are 4+ notifications (re both 4.1.2 and 4.2.2), persistent and temporary, none are expanded automatically.

Also, I have never seen my ADB WiFi persistent notification auto-expanded. I've always had to expand it myself. Even when one of the other persistent notifications didn't load and there are no temporaries.

----

SGS2 - JB 4.1.2 GB27
SGS4 - JB 4.2.2 MF9

UgglyNoodle

Aug 11, 2012
Thanks everyone for the information! I will definitely look into this, but I'll just warn you that I don't have any experience with supporting non-AOSP platforms, and won't have any way of testing, so it might take me some time! As with per-app settings, I probably will not have time to work on it before the end of the year (I'm quite busy right now and leaving for a long vacation in a week).

LitoNi

May 5, 2012
Vancouver
can you consider in adding an option not to expand the first notification (usually the ongoing weather) otherwise :good: job buddy!

egingell

Apr 10, 2012
blog.sophielabuf.com
I was mistaken when I said JB 4.1.2 (I was thinking of a different mod).

At any rate, on 4.1.2, ADB WiFi's persistent notification is auto expanded with this mod and I can expand/collapse it manually.

And on 4.2.2 with this mod enabled, ADB Wifi's notification is not auto expanded and I cannot manually expand/collapse it.

Both TouchWiz.

----

SGS2 - JB 4.1.2 GB27
SGS4 - JB 4.2.2 MF9

Metallijim

Dec 1, 2011
Bedford
Google Pixel 7
Just thought I'd post my findings.
Running 4.2.2 stock based rom on my Xperia Z, all seems good.
All that can be expanded are, and persistent (in my case I used Walkman whilst playing) started open, and I was able to close then up if I wanted.
Walkman is definitely persistent, as I can't swipe it away, unless you're on about a different type.

Sent from Z Beast

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made a simple Xposed module which causes all notifications to be initially shown in their expanded state inside the notification drawer. (The stock behaviour is that only the first notification is expanded.) Notifications may still be contracted manually and will stay that way.

There is no settings activity. This module just does one thing for now.

Requires Jelly Bean or above with the Xposed framework installed.

Props to @rovo89 for the awesome Xposed framework!

You can grab it from its Xposed Module Repository page.
    Said it on my thread and I'll say it again, you are my hero!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
    Hello, did you think it's possible to have ALL the notification contracted by default? It would be the exact opposite behavior, maybe selectable by an option box.
    Thank you for your great work!
    can you consider in adding an option not to expand the first notification (usually the ongoing weather) otherwise :good: job buddy!

As mentioned earlier, I'll work on per-app settings when I have time - hopefully this would accomplish what you want!
    It'd be amazing if I you could add an option to select exceptions for some notifications.