[Q] (request) ASUS Eee Transformer section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
How are you resetting the device after you get into the bootloader? Have you taken the device apart so you can yank the battery out?

@Roebeet
Ok then sorry but I'm not willing to get screwed over by a big company. I'll let someone else do that. :D

@Fredplex
There's no flash on front or back. If you take this out at night... good luck not getting mugged. ;)

No worries and I understand completely.

soalle

Dec 11, 2007
You may want to check the new Acer Iconia on pre-order already in the Best Buy website. I hope ASUS hurries and give us a US release date before Acer gets all the impatient people waiting for a good Honeycomb tablet.

The Acer Iconia should be out on the 24th of April and it has already the webpage on bestbuy for preorders...

the eee pad transformer does not have the web page on bestbuy... I hope this does not mean it will be released after the 24th.

I'll be in the US for vacation till the 24th and I want to come back with an eee pad with the keyboard!

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Redmi Note 10S
Does anyone know the milli-amp rating of the battery at all please? It says 24.4Wh (watt/hour?) on the Asus site but that means nothing to me. Just read somewhere its 2200mA but that sounds a bit on the low side. And now just seen another site saying 8300 which sounds more likely. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

Biffy

Aug 14, 2007
Anyone going to do a book case for their Transformer? I.e. cut the pages out of a book to fit the tablet, protecting it while it's carried and disguising it when left out on a cafe table for example.

melax

Jan 12, 2011
Acer Iconia Tab A500 High-speed USB 2.0 port
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Deff for me something wort waiting for to compare

inakipaz

May 31, 2010
Acer Iconia Tab A500 High-speed USB 2.0 port
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Deff for me something wort waiting for to compare

Actually for me there is no comparison. The A500 is missing interesant features such as gps or ips panel @ a higher price.

Enviado desde mi Nexus S usando Tapatalk

inakipaz

May 31, 2010
Could anyone please upload a picture of the transformer in the bootloader screen? And recovery menu?
Thanxs,

gpearson1968

Apr 7, 2011
Greensboro, NC
Skype or any other type of video conf ability

Can someone try out Skype? That's one of the main uses I'll have for it.

^This.

Hi folks,

This is a biggie for me as well. I travel internationally and I know my kids would love to Skype with their dad when he's out and about. Especially some sort of video conference.

Let this thread know when you can. Transformer isn't here in North America yet, and may be a week or two until it is... :(:eek::(

Cheers,
gpearson1968

CalvinH

Apr 26, 2009
Hi!

Just want to thank all those who already have the pad and are patiently posting info & pics and everything.

Thanks for taking your time. The rest of us will just wait until we can get our hands on one!

Regards.

Reactions: soalle

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Redmi Note 10S
I've only posted stuff because I know that if I hadnt got mine today I'd want to see as much info as possible. If anyone wants to know something that hasnt been posted already just give a shout.

I really, really want to look at the bootloader. But if its anything like other devices, I wont be able to get out of it without removing the battery, and I dont want to invalidate the warranty just yet. Anyone done it and got a picture yet?

E_man5112

Jul 13, 2010
Has anyone tried thumb keyboard on this? I use it on my nook and vastly prefer it over swiftkey beta. It'll also be nice for people who can't get into that beta.

-The screen is 'sticky'. Not sure if it's just me sweating, or just some sort of alcohol solution that needs to evaporate more or something after peeling off the protective coverings.

I've found that most screens are sticky after that protective covering. In fact, it can be surprisingly persistant. If you clean it well with a microfiber cloth (really put some force) that should help enormously. It can take a while to wear off in normal use.

UPDATE.... The Transformer has an inbuilt screencap app that can be set from the "Screens" settings... voila...!!

That's handy.

melax

Jan 12, 2011
Actually for me there is no comparison. The A500 is missing interesant features such as gps or ips panel @ a higher price.

Yes.. But comes with a Dust-resistant bag too... Price well come down just like the Xoom.. Seems 400 is what people want. First company that understands that like Asus well be the consumer winner..

Acer on utube..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThrvfkQCUg

Last edited:

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Redmi Note 10S
I've found that most screens are sticky after that protective covering. In fact, it can be surprisingly persistant. If you clean it well with a microfiber cloth (really put some force) that should help enormously. It can take a while to wear off in normal use.

Seems to be a bit better now after some use.

Does anyone know of a decent free android remote desktop server/client app please?

Also how are the speakers on all your tablets? My right speaker seems to be noticably louder than the left one. Does anyone know of a decent app that can change the volume of individual speakers?

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
I really, really want to look at the bootloader. But if its anything like other devices, I wont be able to get out of it without removing the battery, and I dont want to invalidate the warranty just yet. Anyone done it and got a picture yet?

You could make sure it's low on battery before you go into the bootloader, then when it runs out it'll turn off and get out of the bootloader.

Also I have a few questions:

Is there an internal microphone? And if so what is the recording quality?

Can you use Gtalk video chat?

Does PSX4droid work? Since it's free now I doubt it's an issue to try it. Since 1 reason I'll be buying this is with the prospect of emulating PS1 games so I'd like to know if emulators/PSX4droid run full screen.

Kind regards,
Jamie

Magnesus

Mar 7, 2011
Some small village
I would like to know if Amiga emulator and DosBox can work and if they can work full screen - but it's probably too much to test. I'll wait until I have the device and look myself. :)

Last edited:

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Redmi Note 10S
You could make sure it's low on battery before you go into the bootloader, then when it runs out it'll turn off and get out of the bootloader.

Also I have a few questions:

Is there an internal microphone? And if so what is the recording quality?

Can you use Gtalk video chat?

Does PSX4droid work? Since it's free now I doubt it's an issue to try it. Since 1 reason I'll be buying this is with the prospect of emulating PS1 games so I'd like to know if emulators/PSX4droid run full screen.

Kind regards,
Jamie

Yeah I thought about that but its gonna be a while before the battery dies... seems to be lasting quite a long time.

Yes theres a microphone. Seems to be decent quality.
No idea about gtalk sorry. Isnt that USA only? I'll give skype a go a bit later.
Same for PSX4Droid I dont have any games for that so cant try it out. I've tried a few normal games but many dont work due to resizing issues. All the ones ive tried with 'HD' in the title work fine, as I expected.

Just installed the psx4droid apk and... well... it runs. Like I say cant test any games out to talk about it further though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Asus Transformer section coming this week!
    Would we consider adding a forum for the Transformer? Seems like a lot of potential with that tablet...

edit...
    does anyone know how many +1s it takes for a forum? :D
    Thanks for the quick reply. I Have my xoom, and really loving it, but I'm just not too happy with the screen especially next to my iPad.

Thank you again, will wait patiently. LOL.

Oh, one thing I like about the xoom is the built quality, and the smaller bezel. What's your opinion on the built quality of the transformer?

thx!

Build quality is pretty good. It is plastic on the "outer" bezel on the front and the whole back, so if you can hold it just right there is a tiny bit of give (which doesn't bother me - give means if it bounces off concrete it won't bend/break as easily as something with 0 give at all). The outer rim is metal, which gives it nice strength.

The whole thing feels really well built, everything lines up nicely and if milimeter perfect.

The screen can be read outside - I was able to read it in direct sunlight, although it wasn't too easy (it was much better than trying on my nexus one though). Out of direct sunlight it's great (although you may need to turn the brightness up manually as auto brightness isn't as bright as I would like).

One note on the speakers as it was something I was concerned about - the grills are on the side which means they can be covered easily - no problem though as teh speakers are more than good enough and I can't hear a difference between me covering the grills or not. The extra bezel on the sides which are plastic are really useful as you can hold the tablet just holding those bits, helping avoid any smudges on the glass part of the screen.

pics are here! (I've missed one side as i can't get it to focus - it's just a speaker grill, volume rocker and power button - there are plenty of good pics online).

Sorry for the blurryness of the pics, wanted to get these up quick so no time to find my tripod...
    A few more points people might find interesting or want to know.

-The pad is detected in windows just like any mass storage device, so allows normal drag and drop, as well as the syncing with the asus software.
    -The charging cable isn't very long but it's long enough (about 1m).
    -It doesnt feel as heavy as I was expecting... its not light... just not heavy either.
    -Really dont like the default keyboard. This is just personal taste issue. It still functions fine. And is easy enough to change it.
    -The screen is 'sticky'. Not sure if it's just me sweating, or just some sort of alcohol solution that needs to evaporate more or something after peeling off the protective coverings.
    -Runs 720p/1080p flawlessly.
    -Doesn't seem to trickle charge via usb cable.
    -Came with a 25% charge.
    -Sound quality via speakers is pretty good.
    -Camera quality isnt bad. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting after seeing human_errors shots earlier. Ill post a closeup pic. (edit: no i wont, cant find a place to upload full file to with max quality)

Have the same problem as human_error with the mynet app in Spanish. =/

I'd load into the bootloader if I knew of any way to reset the device afterwards, because I dont want to open it up and invalidate the warranty removing the battery. Any suggestions?

Added pic of the default keyboard.

Haven't had too much time to play with it cos I had to go to work :))) but agree about the screen, it is a little sticky, but I've been playing with it for about an hour now and the responsiveness seems to be getting better. My initial thoughts on the Transformer/Honeycomb:

- just on an aesthetic level, love the copper colour/styling of the device, gives it a unique look that distinguishes it from the other tablets out there.

- agree about the keyboard, not a big fan of it, particularly the backspace key, and it does feel a little laggy, in fact all the keyboards feel a bit laggy at the moment, maybe I need to reboot or try another keyboard. I've signed up for the new Swiftkey beta (split keyboard for tablets) so I'm hoping to try that out soon.

- Actually feels lighter and thinner than the ipad (first generation) to me, though obviously it is wider given the aspect ration. It feels more natural to hold it in landscape mode than portrait mode.

- love, love the Gmail app, the Gallery (automatically populated with Picasa pics), the customisable homescreens, the system of notifications, these all blow the ipad out of the water.

- tried out a few apps that came from my phone, most of them seem to scale reasonably well though there are obviously spaces where they don't take advantage of the bigger screen. Seesmic (Twitter), Kindle, Mobisle Notes all seem to work fine. Words with Friends though is pretty dreadful and there are some issues with BBC iplayer as well (basically there doesn't seem to be any way to actually play the shows)

- the screen really is gorgeous, much better than the ipad screen, so much crisper. However, it really is a fingerprint magnet, only being using it for a few hours and its already pretty smudgy

- the Tegra 2 works its magic, for the most part the OS zips along opening and closing stuff, having things going on in the background. Very little lag.

- the browser is awesome, much closer to the desktop Chrome than any phone/tablet browser I've tried so far.

- navigating round the OS is not quite as intuitive as using the ipad, but I suppose that's the price you pay for having more control :) i'll learn.

- overall, really, really happy with the device. I still have my ipad and I was going to weigh up the two devices to see which one to keep, but I think I'm going to keep the Transformer, having all that Google/Android love in one place just makes it a much more compelling device for me. Time to sell the ipad to pay for the damn thing now!

Will update with more thoughts later.
    Thought I'd let everyone know the microSD slot is in full working order. Just took the mixrosd card out my phone , put it in the transformer and it was able to read it fine. The sdcard location in the OS is the on-board storage, but at a higher level there is a 'removable' directory which contains the micro SD card info.

Now we can go tease the xoom users about the working microSD slot :p

**edit**

If anyone still doesn't believe me there are pics here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12732915&postcount=185. It works for read and write too.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App