Search This thread

Fabipro

Feb 7, 2011
Augsburg
AW: [HOW-TO] Battery saving tips

Hi,

I think this battery life isn't Ok?! :(
What do you think?
(Display on 3,5h at 50%, balanced mode, CleanROM 3.1)

Gesendet von meinem ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T mit Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358600274898.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358600274898.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 914
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358600291044.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358600291044.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 926

bmlarson

Jan 26, 2013
Fort Collins
OnePlus 6
I know I managed to make my battery life worse by overclocking... Although I also found out that I could undervolt a lot (about half of the original voltage) in the lower frequencies. I will need to test for longer to see how well it works.

Bluemgt06

Apr 16, 2012
Motorola Razr 5G
I use an app called Anfo Core that can change the number of cores running on the device. I run my tablet as a Dual or single core most of the time and I have noticed a slight improvement. I'm also using Lagfix and Seeder that make the slower speeds a little smoother.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

jupppo

Apr 18, 2007
I know I managed to make my battery life worse by overclocking... Although I also found out that I could undervolt a lot (about half of the original voltage) in the lower frequencies. I will need to test for longer to see how well it works.

I doubt that you can half the voltage. You probably undervolt with SetCPU with the result that only one core is undervolted and misbehaves and the other cores make up for it.

ZigmaDK

Dec 3, 2009
Skive
Ever since I installed Greenpower free my battery life has improved a lot.

It manages the wifi, 3gandbluetooth sleep settings and sync settings.

I set it to turn on wifi every 1 or 2 hours for 2 minutes to sync etc, and after that it turns everything back off. I dont have to remember to turn wifi off when i leave it.
That together with Tasker turning off wifi on certain apps/games really helps preserve battery.

hasrussian

Feb 16, 2013
haslemere
First of all, thanks to d14b0ll0s for yet another great write up. I am one of those concerned with the battery life of the Infinity. Though some review says it got up to 9-9.5 hours with BALANCED mode I believe is the mistake. By using Power save mode, I think we can potentially get to that level but still hard.

My system is NOT rooted, but I have noticed significant change in my battery life so far with following:

1. Balanced Mode to Power Save mode.

This gets me like extra 2 hours or so. WIthout this change, 5-6 hours for my usage and with this it goes up to 7-8 hours screen time.

2. Under Wi-Fi Setting change Use wifi during sleep mode (mine is in Japanese so exact wording may be different) to never. Default setting was always. Prior to this change, I lost quite bit overnight unplugged; however, after the change it loses negligible amount.

Now rather than these, I am trying to play around with Juice Defender, which was recommended by d14b0ll0s in best application list he created. I have initially downloaded Juice Defender Free edition, and noticed may be minimal gain over #1 already instituted. But concept was great. So I ended up purchasing Ultimate edition, which allows us to control when to turn of WIFI per individual application based without Root i.e. while reading PDF I don't think I need WIFI connection.

I am still tweaking and playing with Juice Defender, but I am certain without change in #1,#2 (which are actually taken care by Juice Defender in its own way), I can gain same battery life and my hope/guess is I can get even more battery life.

So in conclusion, for those not rooted try Juice Defender (at least free version). I will let you all know how the ultimate version does in next couple days.

never use super ips+ the screen is bright enough

inkogneetoe

Mar 24, 2013
I have seen a massive increase in my battery and over all performance since rooting a few days ago. Using various tweeks including the "deep sleep" build.prop tweek.
uploadfromtaptalk1375948026644.jpg

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

inkogneetoe

Mar 24, 2013
How can you verify if the deep sleep build.prop tweek is working?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As some of you have been complaining about your Infinity's poor battery life, I thought we should start a thread on getting more out of its battery. I invite you all to share your experiences, hopefully we could come to sth helpful together.
    Perhaps when the development's carried on further by more XDA developers, we can split this to stock ROM and custom ROMs, as probably the latter will have more of these already included.

1. Arguably full charge and discharge does nothing good on modern Li-Ion batteries and it's rather advisable to keep it balanced - discharge a little, don't push it with charging all the time (however in case of the Infinity, as with many other devices, the charger will just stop consuming energy after [almost] fully charging your device). There is one reason for doing a few full discharges and charges however - so that the battery monitoring apps/widgets can learn more about your battery's life and power consumption.

2. Monitor your battery life and monitor it wisely (don't use power-consuming apps and widgets). I personally like Battery Monitor Widget, as it gives you mA and % / hour (either drain or charge), which is pretty cool, as you can see how much your usage exhausts your battery in real time. This way I've found out that switching the WiFi off while reading books actually gives me battery drain closer to 10%/h than 15%/h etc. You can see some other in this apps thread. Try different apps and see what fits you best. Don't rely on system battery usage stats, see what other apps show us and what apps and processes drain the most of your battery, show most wakelocks, etc.

3. Use as low power mode as you need (administered most easily through ASUS/Android notification bar on the bottom of your screen). There are three power modes:
    • power-saving (keeps your CPU at 1 GHz according to some apps, 500 MHz according to others) <- can give you up to 2 additional hours
    • balanced (keeps your CPU at 1,5 GHz)
    • normal / performance (keeps your CPU at the highest speed - in stock kernel 1,7 GHz for the 1st core and 1,6 for the others)

You have to try these for yourself. Most games run well on balanced, but may sometimes need the performance mode (keep in mind that overheating your CPU and GPU may cause the clocks to actually slow down). You may also find yourself happy with the power-saving mode, which really helps your battery to last longer, but I've noticed issues with some apps while running it (problems with pdf rendering, for example), as it probably changes more than just the CPU clock speed, but also the system behaviour. I hardly ever leave the balanced mode, mostly when curious about benchmark results ;)

There are also different CPU governors in Android/Linux kernel, which you can change if you are rooted, but perhaps leaving the default "interactive" one on should serve you well (you can also try "conservative", but it has been argued it doesn't save your battery so well in the long run).

(if rooted) You can also use CPU management apps like SetCPU, create your custom profiles or use the default ones according to your needs (for example ).

4. In ASUS setttings switch on both power-saving options at the very bottom of the list (WiFi and dock deep sleep [the former is the same as choosing "never" in WiFi advanced settings]).

5. Keep the screen brightness as low, as you can. It's better to adjust it manually through the notifications bar or a widget than to switch auto-brightness on (some recommend LUX app, personally I had problems with it trying to outsmart me when I was doing some manual changes). I like to keep it around 30-40% indoors during the day and 0-10% at night.

6. Switch WiFi off when you don't need it, unless you need it on constantly.
    For me, it sometimes also helps organise my work too, when I don't get constant notifications or when I'm not eager to browse the web all the time, when just reading something and taking notes.

7a) (if rooted) Make your device fall into really deep sleep...

Add these to your build.prop file (see the thread on tweaking):

ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0
    pm.sleep_mode=1

7b) ...and make it scan for available WiFi networks less often, for example every 180 seconds (same as above):

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180

8. (if rooted) Switch off all the apps you don't need that auto-start on boot with a program like System Tuner.
    (f not rooted) Use auto-killer for the apps you don't need (if rooted you can do the above two together as well).

You can also deactivate unused apps (settings -> apps -> [select app] -> deactivate). Remove bloatware, too (see the first few posts).

9. Adjust your minfree values, so the low level system task killer will take care of the apps running in the background for you (see the thread on tweaking). You can try with different settings and see what's better for you. Some apps drain your battery life even when you don't use them, while others don't and it's better to leave them in the memory than run them all over again every time. Do some tests and see what's best for you, if you have time for it.

10. Switch auto-syncing apps to lower values when possible (sometimes PUSH is better, sometimes worse for your battery life).

11. Keep it simple. Too many funky animations, floating wallpapers, lots of nice widgets will make your battery drain really fast.

12. Try different custom launchers, you can set more UI behaviour rules in these (see this apps thread).

13. Use a dark wallpaper and dark themes / night reading modes (see why).

PS JuiceDefender reported to having disabled deep sleep, so stay away if possible.
    Hotmail app has been said to trigger wakelocks, while overriding system wifi sleep when screen is off, so keep that in mind if you want better battery life over constant e-mail syncing.

Hit [THANKS] if it helps.
    First of all, thanks to d14b0ll0s for yet another great write up. I am one of those concerned with the battery life of the Infinity. Though some review says it got up to 9-9.5 hours with BALANCED mode I believe is the mistake. By using Power save mode, I think we can potentially get to that level but still hard.

My system is NOT rooted, but I have noticed significant change in my battery life so far with following:

1. Balanced Mode to Power Save mode.

This gets me like extra 2 hours or so. WIthout this change, 5-6 hours for my usage and with this it goes up to 7-8 hours screen time.

2. Under Wi-Fi Setting change Use wifi during sleep mode (mine is in Japanese so exact wording may be different) to never. Default setting was always. Prior to this change, I lost quite bit overnight unplugged; however, after the change it loses negligible amount.

Now rather than these, I am trying to play around with Juice Defender, which was recommended by d14b0ll0s in best application list he created. I have initially downloaded Juice Defender Free edition, and noticed may be minimal gain over #1&#2 already instituted. But concept was great. So I ended up purchasing Ultimate edition, which allows us to control when to turn of WIFI per individual application based without Root i.e. while reading PDF I don't think I need WIFI connection.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=juice+defender&c=apps.

I am still tweaking and playing with Juice Defender, but I am certain without change in #1,#2 (which are actually taken care by Juice Defender in its own way), I can gain same battery life and my hope/guess is I can get even more battery life.

So in conclusion, for those not rooted try Juice Defender (at least free version). I will let you all know how the ultimate version does in next couple days.
    Thanks

I would also add that it's good the deactivate unused apps/widgets (settings -> apps -> "select app" -> deactivate)
    it's only possible for apps which cannot be uninstalled
    I also had problems with network location draining battery. The problem seemed to be a bug in google maps. You have to once enable the location settings in maps so you can get to the configuration menu and then disable location refresh settings.

This worked for me and now I can safely leave the tablet in sleep mode without loosing any battery during the day. I can also use network location in apps that need it (leave network location enabled in system settings).

Hope this helps. :)
    "I would love" to not have to re-root and reload all my apps, too bad unlocking voids the warranty, thus no nandroid. Even with Titanium it is a PIA. Your reply of wiping is about as good a reply that Best Buy Geek Squad or the Manufacturer gives. Maybe a "not-thank you" button would be appropiate as well.

The other suggestions on here (like the Auto Airplane Mode App) are helpful and the reason why XDA is better.

Wow, sorry for trying to help. I'm sorry that you don't like my answers, but you seem to not want to really find out what the real problem is. You also seem to want to blame the Location services service for being the problem, yet nobody else has that problem.

My point is that there is some app causing your battery drain - the fastest and easiest way to determine which app is causing the problem is to start fresh and a) see if the problem still exists and then b) start re-installing apps slowly and monitoring to see which app is causing it.

Auto-airplane is not a solution to your problem - it is a workaround that will also cause you to lose functionality.

But, regardless, since it seems that you are really not interesting it getting to the root of the problem, since it's too much work, good luck - I will not bother you any more!