[Q] Any ideas on unbricking from a bad bootanimation?

Search This thread
Hiya.

I have one of those Chinese waterproof S09 W63 phones and today I installed Chainfire's live-dmesg and live-logcat onto the thing - I have this on my Motorola, my Samsung and my HP tablet, and have never had a problem with it; but it has sent this 4.2.2 device into an endless boot loop. I get the android turn on screen, then a black screen, then it reboots. And repeat until the battery dies.

adb detects the phone for about 1 second, before it reboots. So I can't get a shell onto the thing.

The only recovery I have on there is Android System Recovery 3e which in theory allows me to apply an update from the sdcard, but I have tried downloading a couple of flashable bootanimation's and they just say:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Installation aborted.

What I would like to do, is to delete /system/bin/bootanimation I think - At least I think that's what live-dmesg/logcat fiddles with.

Anyone have any bright ideas? I am starting to reach the end of my knowledge on this now.

Thanks.

First question.

Are you able to reach the bootloader?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know! I can get to the system recovery, and I can get to something in Chinese which simply appears to be a load of self-test stuff. It took pretty much completely random button pressing to even get to the recovery since volume-down+power seems to take me mostly to the Chinese menu.

For what it's worth, I included a photo of that menu.

Attachments

• DSCN8534.jpg
    DSCN8534.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 25

TheArc

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
From my research on this device, I don't think there is any way to reach the bootloader.

Your only hope is to force flash a firmware but according to reach hat you wrote, it aborts itself.

Is there any other message when it fails to install? Or
-- Install /sdcard ...
Installation aborted.
Is the only thing displayed?

From my research on this device, I don't think there is any way to reach the bootloader.

Is there any other message when it fails to install? Or -- Install /sdcard ...
Installation aborted.

Is the only thing displayed?

That's all it says... Not very useful at all - I am not sure if there is a weird reason such as it being an invalid zip, but I have tried with a couple now and they didn't work.

I guess I will sleep on it and see if I have any better ideas when I am awake!

If all else fails I can try and flash a complete update, but I am not even convinced that will work any more. Well - At least this brick actually looks and weighs more brick-like than most modern phones!

TheArc

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
You should try and force an official update for the device, it may work.

Helped me with previous devices, all the best.

If I do come across something useful later this night, I'll mention it here.

Thanks krishneelg3 - I had to force flash a new ROM in the end, on the plus side I found an upgraded one. That was pretty much a nightmare too - Not to actually do, but to find all the files and things over 4 or 5 different sites - I may write a brief howto on that whilst I still remember.

On the plus side, I didn't lose anything since I am somewhat obsessive about backing up; but I did have to use an unrooted phone for about 30 mins, and one without adblock too *shudder*

I'd still like a new boot-animation, but I think I will leave that well alone for now!