HTC HD7 / Dell Venue Pro / Samsung / LG WP7 Device Tethering

Search This thread

galvesribeiro

Jan 18, 2011
São Paulo
Just to resume a lot of questions regarding this subject. There is a list of steps to get your 3G data connection shared with yout PC via USB for each device.

--== HTC HD7 ==--

1. Download XAP file
2. Download the HTC USB Modem drivers
3. Deploy XAP file to your phone
4. Turn off your Data connection in your phone.
5. Run DFRouter and click on “HTC Modem”
6. If you only downloaded driver package just unzip to any folder, then Open Device Manager (recommended for Win7 64bit).
7. Find USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0EFF&REV_0000&MI_01 and force update driver with HtcUsbMdmV64 (inside unzipped folder)
8. Find USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0EFF&REV_0000&MI_00 and force update driver with HtcVComV64 (inside unzipped folder)
9. You will get two new device HTC USB Modem and HTC Diagnostic Interface (COM8)
10. Connect device to PC, open HTC USB Modem and select Advance Label
11. Add below command +cgdcont=1,”ip”,”APN”
(APN = Your carrier’s APN)
12. Create a new connection with HTC USB Modem, diag number is *99# and disabling IPV6
13.Just connect without user name and password.
============================================================

--== Dell Venue Pro ==--

1. Download the HTC USB Modem drivers
2. Edit both HtcUsbMdmV64.inf and HtcVComV64.inf files from the extracted drivers replacing the HTC device IDs with VID_05c6&PID_3199. Leave the &MI_00.
3. Go to EM(##634#), and go to Service Center, swithcing to Composite Mode. The password is *#301#.
4. After the fone reboots, install the 2 modified device drivers as you would do in HTC tutorial.
4. Continue following the HTC guide from step 9.

--== Samsung WP7 Devices ==--

1. Download Samsung USB Drivers and install it
2. Dial ##634# then press the Call button
3. On diagnosis screen, Dial *#7284# and press Call button
4. A “Microsoft USB Test” screen will show up which allows configuration of USB Path Control settings (options available is Zune Sync; Modem, Tethered Call; and Modem, USB Diag). Select Modem, Tethered Call. The phone will restart and activate the setting. Windows will detect and install the driver from the device. A phone modem named Samsung Mobile Modem will be installed.
5. Now you can create a connection dial-up on your windows as step 9 in HTC HD7 tutorial.

--== LG WP7 Devices ==--

1. Download LG USB Drivers and install it
2.Launch the LG phone dialer, and dial ##634#, then press the Call button to bring up a list of applications under the screen title of “MFG”.
3.When asked to input password, enter 277634#*# to unlock the password-protected MFG.
4.Turn off the data connection in Settings -> Network Mobile.
5.Start MFG and go to the USB Switching option in Menu Engineer -> Port Setting.
6.Select the QC COMPOSITE and validate.
7.The phone will automatically restart to activate the setting.
8.Connect the phone to PC with a USB cable.
9.Windows should automatically detect the Windows Phone 7 and install driver from the device. A phone modem named LGE CDMA USB Modem will be installed.
10.Edit or configure the LGE CDMA USB Modem settings or properties, and add in additional parameter in the string (change APN for your APN name):
+CGDCONT=1,"IP","orange"
11.Manually create a new dial-up connection that uses the LG USB modem with phone number to dial as * 99 # as HTC HD7 tutorial.

While tethering via USB, the synchronization with Zune software may not be working. In this case, just disconnect the USB cable and connect over Wi-Fi connection to sync up with Zune software. And the disclaimer is that the hack violates most mobile carrier’s terms of service, and may cost users a lot of money for overage charge if they’re on limited data plan.

Also, I didn't tested all devices cause I just have a HTC HD7 and all information here was a compilation from some blog bosts I found over the web. I hope moderators can stick it somewhere so people can stop creating new posts regarding this subject 'cause I'll keep this post updated and, when the WIFI/BT/Cableless tethering comes UP, I'll update it here.

I hape it help. Enjoy it.

Best regards...

Gutemberg

Last edited:

megagprime

Aug 6, 2008
thanks this is great but we need internet connection sharing over usb, bt, or wifi

when our carriers can see us dialing up and charge us, well that is just not right
and i will not stand for it, nor will i pay for it lol

galvesribeiro

Jan 18, 2011
São Paulo
thanks this is great but we need internet connection sharing over usb, bt, or wifi

when our carriers can see us dialing up and charge us, well that is just not right
and i will not stand for it, nor will i pay for it lol

Yep, I still working on figure out how to do this. If there is a way to open a socket on the phone and listen on some ports, I can quickly do that.

Also, you will only be billed from your carrier if you dont have a illimited data plan. At least, I'm not charged from nothing and run just fine. ;)

kwill

Jun 15, 2006
Austin, TX
Thanks a lot for compiling all this information and getting it to us. One question though. Do you have to update drivers on each pc you want to tether with? Also, think the link to the HTC USB Drivers is wrong;)

eeeeeh

Mar 31, 2007
I've been following this thread for two days now (in the HD2 WP7 forum, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=922000) but so far I'm not able to get my HD7 going with 3G tethering (always return error code of 692 despite me having to turn off the data connection in phone and having forced update the two drivers from HTC Sync for Android).

See if anyone else can get it going on HD7... :D

galvesribeiro

Jan 18, 2011
São Paulo
Thanks a lot for compiling all this information and getting it to us. One question though. Do you have to update drivers on each pc you want to tether with? Also, think the link to the HTC USB Drivers is wrong;)
Yes, every PC that you are connecting the phone, you will need the USB driver. And sorry about the link. I already fixed it.

I've been following this thread for two days now (in the HD2 WP7 forum, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=922000) but so far I'm not able to get my HD7 going with 3G tethering (always return error code of 692 despite me having to turn off the data connection in phone and having forced update the two drivers from HTC Sync for Android).

See if anyone else can get it going on HD7... :D

Weird... I'm replying to you right now from my device connection...

eeeeeh

Mar 31, 2007
Yes, every PC that you are connecting the phone, you will need the USB driver. And sorry about the link. I already fixed it.

Weird... I'm replying to you right now from my device connection...
In my modem log, I'm getting the following:

01-27-2011 13:44:30.317 - Opening Modem
01-27-2011 13:44:30.317 - 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=0, rtsctl=1
01-27-2011 13:44:30.317 - Initializing modem.
01-27-2011 13:44:30.327 - DSR is low while initializing the modem. Verify modem is turned on.
01-27-2011 13:44:30.327 - CTS is low while initializing modem.
01-27-2011 13:44:30.337 - Send: AT<cr>
01-27-2011 13:44:32.350 - Timed out waiting for response from modem
01-27-2011 13:44:32.350 - The modem failed to respond to the initialization command, Retrying one more time

I've already put the extra initialization command into the modem advanced properties, under "Device Manager", and properties of the "HTC USB Modem"..

Maybe the format of my string is something wrong? I'm using this:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","mobile.three.com.hk"

eeeeeh

Mar 31, 2007
In my modem log, I'm getting the following:

01-27-2011 13:44:30.317 - Opening Modem
01-27-2011 13:44:30.317 - 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=0, rtsctl=1
01-27-2011 13:44:30.317 - Initializing modem.
01-27-2011 13:44:30.327 - DSR is low while initializing the modem. Verify modem is turned on.
01-27-2011 13:44:30.327 - CTS is low while initializing modem.
01-27-2011 13:44:30.337 - Send: AT<cr>
01-27-2011 13:44:32.350 - Timed out waiting for response from modem
01-27-2011 13:44:32.350 - The modem failed to respond to the initialization command, Retrying one more time

I've already put the extra initialization command into the modem advanced properties, under "Device Manager", and properties of the "HTC USB Modem"..

Maybe the format of my string is something wrong? I'm using this:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","mobile.three.com.hk"
Okay, just to report back, it is now working properly. After some messing around - by not enabling (unchecking) the dial-up properties of IPV6 (so left with IPV4), connectivity went through flawlessly.

thanks everyone!

megagprime

Aug 6, 2008
i have dialed up with my cell before (through windows on my htc diamond) and i was charged. telus sucks yes i know. i have not tried with my lg optimus but i bet they can see...
whats my telus APN name?
+cgdcont=1,"IP","telus" ???

ill test this and report back

galvesribeiro

Jan 18, 2011
São Paulo
The APN field is you APN name configured on your device. Not the APN Address.
In my case here in Brazil it is "TIM CONNECT FAST" so my command should be +cgdcont=1,"IP","TIM CONNECT FAST"

megagprime

Aug 6, 2008
The APN field is you APN name configured on your device. Not the APN Address.

In my case here in Brazil it is "TIM CONNECT FAST" so my command should be +cgdcont=1,"IP","TIM CONNECT FAST"

sp.telus.com

=)... WORKS MINT!!!!
, will report if charged when telus updates my data usage/billing info

Last edited:

eternalemb

May 3, 2010
Pasadena, CA
I'm stumped. Tried the APN address, the APN names, with data on/off, with APN in the cellular settings and without, IPV6 off etc. and nothing. Perhaps it's a T-Mobile US problem? Because I've tried the APN names "T-Mobile" and "T-Mobile US" and still get the 692 error...Any suggestions?

eternalemb

May 3, 2010
Pasadena, CA
Ok. Now this is weird. I did nothing differently except I accidentally clicked USB Sync before I clicked HTC Modem on DFRouter and the connection went through. Hmm...

reddragon93

Jan 14, 2011
Success

Finally i got it working on my HTC-HD7 (Windows 7 x64 Prof).

The one thing a would like to add is I configured the "PPP" settings in the adapter settings (let ony LCP checked) but i don't think this was the breakthrough.

After some play-around in settings (PPP on pc for example, disable Wifi/Wlan on phone) I managed to get the Error "668" instead of "692", also data connection was disabled. Restarting the phone made it work!

Just make sure to have the right driver installed and restart your phone after disabling the data connection that helped for me!

Remember to disable IPv6.
I use the "*99#" number and +cgdcont=1,"ip","internet"
for o2 germany apn

Edit: Let the default COM port.. I didn't change the COM port and it works now.. If you changed then delete the devices from device manager and start from the beginning

good luck
reddragon

Last edited:

dreynam2

May 10, 2008
Hawthorne
t-mobile us settings hd7

alright after a lot of hours trying here and there i finally set up my connection from tmobile hd7 usa.

on the advance tab (to get there after installing the drivers and device on usb modem mode go to to device manager then modems then right click usb modem then properties then advance tab) put there copy and paste +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

then go to settings on your phone, celullar, data connection off, go down add apn

apn
wap.voicestream.com

username
(blank)

password
(blank)

then

Add A New Internet Connection
Close the Phone and Modem Options and the Control Panel.
For XP: Create a new connection with Start -> Connect To -> Show all connections -> Create a new connection.
1. Click Next

2. Select "Connect To The Internet" then Next

3. Select "Set up my connection manually" then Next

4. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" then Next.

For Vista: Create a new connection with Start -> Connect To ->

1. Set up a connection or network

2. Choose a connection option: Click on "Connect to the Internet (Set up a wireless, broadband, or dial-up connection to the Internet."

3. You are already connected to the Internet - Click on "Set up a new connection anyway"

4. At "How do you want to connect?" Click on "Dial-up"

5. Check only the Standard Modem (if prompted).

6. Give the connection a name such as "BlackBerry Modem", then Next.

7. On the next screen, pick one of the following phone numbers, depending on your carrier:

....If you use GSM/Cingular/AT&T/TMobile/SwissCom: Enter phone number *99#

8. Click Next.

If you use T-Mobile:
.........Username: (blank)
.........Password: (blank)
.........Note: In USA, you can leave both blank

9. click properties

ppp settings

ckeck only lcp extensions.

restart the phone at this point with usb disconnected then when the phone restarts connect usb

open your dial up connection and click connect.

hope this helps

thank u.

the_Crispy

Dec 3, 2010
how is everyone dialing *99#? are you calling using your computer or your dialpad on WP7's?

You dial with your computer, where you set up the dial up connection.

Aditionaly for everyone with 32Bit Systems (like me...) who have troubles finding the drivers, take these from this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10949837&postcount=78

It got it to work with my HTC Mozart 7 and german provider "BASE".
Now I'm curious how this is charged by the provider..... hope this is covered by my dataconnection flat.

C~

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to resume a lot of questions regarding this subject. There is a list of steps to get your 3G data connection shared with yout PC via USB for each device.

--== HTC HD7 ==--

1. Download XAP file
    2. Download the HTC USB Modem drivers
    3. Deploy XAP file to your phone
    4. Turn off your Data connection in your phone.
    5. Run DFRouter and click on “HTC Modem”
    6. If you only downloaded driver package just unzip to any folder, then Open Device Manager (recommended for Win7 64bit).
    7. Find USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0EFF&REV_0000&MI_01 and force update driver with HtcUsbMdmV64 (inside unzipped folder)
    8. Find USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0EFF&REV_0000&MI_00 and force update driver with HtcVComV64 (inside unzipped folder)
    9. You will get two new device HTC USB Modem and HTC Diagnostic Interface (COM8)
    10. Connect device to PC, open HTC USB Modem and select Advance Label
    11. Add below command +cgdcont=1,”ip”,”APN”
    (APN = Your carrier’s APN)
    12. Create a new connection with HTC USB Modem, diag number is *99# and disabling IPV6
    13.Just connect without user name and password.

--== Dell Venue Pro ==--

1. Download the HTC USB Modem drivers
    2. Edit both HtcUsbMdmV64.inf and HtcVComV64.inf files from the extracted drivers replacing the HTC device IDs with VID_05c6&PID_3199. Leave the &MI_00.
    3. Go to EM(##634#), and go to Service Center, swithcing to Composite Mode. The password is *#301#.
    4. After the fone reboots, install the 2 modified device drivers as you would do in HTC tutorial.
    4. Continue following the HTC guide from step 9.

--== Samsung WP7 Devices ==--

1. Download Samsung USB Drivers and install it
    2. Dial ##634# then press the Call button
    3. On diagnosis screen, Dial *#7284# and press Call button
    4. A “Microsoft USB Test” screen will show up which allows configuration of USB Path Control settings (options available is Zune Sync; Modem, Tethered Call; and Modem, USB Diag). Select Modem, Tethered Call. The phone will restart and activate the setting. Windows will detect and install the driver from the device. A phone modem named Samsung Mobile Modem will be installed.
    5. Now you can create a connection dial-up on your windows as step 9 in HTC HD7 tutorial.

--== LG WP7 Devices ==--

1. Download LG USB Drivers and install it
    2.Launch the LG phone dialer, and dial ##634#, then press the Call button to bring up a list of applications under the screen title of “MFG”.
    3.When asked to input password, enter 277634#*# to unlock the password-protected MFG.
    4.Turn off the data connection in Settings -> Network Mobile.
    5.Start MFG and go to the USB Switching option in Menu Engineer -> Port Setting.
    6.Select the QC COMPOSITE and validate.
    7.The phone will automatically restart to activate the setting.
    8.Connect the phone to PC with a USB cable.
    9.Windows should automatically detect the Windows Phone 7 and install driver from the device. A phone modem named LGE CDMA USB Modem will be installed.
    10.Edit or configure the LGE CDMA USB Modem settings or properties, and add in additional parameter in the string (change APN for your APN name):
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","orange"
    11.Manually create a new dial-up connection that uses the LG USB modem with phone number to dial as * 99 # as HTC HD7 tutorial.

While tethering via USB, the synchronization with Zune software may not be working. In this case, just disconnect the USB cable and connect over Wi-Fi connection to sync up with Zune software. And the disclaimer is that the hack violates most mobile carrier’s terms of service, and may cost users a lot of money for overage charge if they’re on limited data plan.

Also, I didn't tested all devices cause I just have a HTC HD7 and all information here was a compilation from some blog bosts I found over the web. I hope moderators can stick it somewhere so people can stop creating new posts regarding this subject 'cause I'll keep this post updated and, when the WIFI/BT/Cableless tethering comes UP, I'll update it here.

I hape it help. Enjoy it.

Best regards...

Gutemberg
    t-mobile us settings hd7

alright after a lot of hours trying here and there i finally set up my connection from tmobile hd7 usa.

on the advance tab (to get there after installing the drivers and device on usb modem mode go to to device manager then modems then right click usb modem then properties then advance tab) put there copy and paste +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

then go to settings on your phone, celullar, data connection off, go down add apn

apn
    wap.voicestream.com

username
    (blank)

password
    (blank)

then

Add A New Internet Connection
    Close the Phone and Modem Options and the Control Panel.
    For XP: Create a new connection with Start -> Connect To -> Show all connections -> Create a new connection.
    1. Click Next

2. Select "Connect To The Internet" then Next

3. Select "Set up my connection manually" then Next

4. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" then Next.

For Vista: Create a new connection with Start -> Connect To ->

1. Set up a connection or network

2. Choose a connection option: Click on "Connect to the Internet (Set up a wireless, broadband, or dial-up connection to the Internet."

3. You are already connected to the Internet - Click on "Set up a new connection anyway"

4. At "How do you want to connect?" Click on "Dial-up"

5. Check only the Standard Modem (if prompted).

6. Give the connection a name such as "BlackBerry Modem", then Next.

7. On the next screen, pick one of the following phone numbers, depending on your carrier:

....If you use GSM/Cingular/AT&T/TMobile/SwissCom: Enter phone number *99#

8. Click Next.

If you use T-Mobile:
    .........Username: (blank)
    .........Password: (blank)
    .........Note: In USA, you can leave both blank

9. click properties

ppp settings

ckeck only lcp extensions.

restart the phone at this point with usb disconnected then when the phone restarts connect usb

open your dial up connection and click connect.

hope this helps

thank u.
    ive been trying for hours to get this to work, im not able to.

im using a HTC HD7, i got the apps, when my pc shows up with 2 unknown devices, ill go to update them, and it says Couldnt find driver software. Acts like these drivers dont even work.

I've got like 4-5 different ones ive been surfing around for, none of them work.

I started with the originals, HTC BMP USB Driver, they didnt work.

Im running Vista ultimate 64bit

i know the guy who made the post it didnt explain this part ok this he what it means by force it. go to device manager in cintrol panel right click in any of the unknown drivers then click on properties then go to details and you will find this one VID _0 BB 4 & PID_0 EFF& REV_ 0000 & MI _0 or the other one then you know which driver to install, then go to tge driver tab and click ib update driver, click on browse my computer for driver software, then on the click on let me pick fron a list of device drivers on my computer once you are there click on have disk, browse the folder in which you have the driver and select the .inf driver to install l, click open, next next yes ok and do the same with tge other one hope this helps.