[N2E][1.1] TouchNooter 2.1.31

Search This thread

user4242

May 9, 2010
Is it possibile to uninstall these two:

• Installs Button Savior
  • Installs Go Launcher
?

Why use Button Savior considering that physical buttons can be remapped to work as "back" and "menu"?

Thanks!

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
Yes, you can uninstall Button Savior and Go Launcher. Just delete the regarding apks

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
My quest for rooting my nook 1.1.0 still goes on.
I was trying eded333's way, and still didn't manage to root it.
Restored via nookrestore, resetted using two lower buttons when screen flicker, updated, created sd with touchnooter 1.6.24, changed both uramdisk (for 1.1 wifi version) and framework.jar (for 1.1 version). Booted with SD in and it either locks up or goes to regular nook (on 12 tries, 10 lock ups and 2 going to regular nook). Remove the SD, and it goes back to regular nook.
Am I missing something????

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
I'm from Europe, dont really know what time is it over there :)

I'll get home in 2 or 3 hours.

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
Do we know if it is possible to modify the content of B&N update zip file so that we could use it to root the device for instance ?

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Do we know if it is possible to modify the content of B&N update zip file so that we could use it to root the device for instance ?

One of the first things I tried when I got my NST, no luck.
I'm certain it's doable, but some re-engineering of the update process will be needed to figure it out as they're not using the stock Android one.

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
Go through all the steps manually with something like noogie. The reason TouchNooter can't do it is because to get the script to run requires the the system to boot, replacing the files while the system is active will cause the system to crash when you go to reboot it to complete the steps for Market. Because of this to install Gapps you have to use a method that doesn't require the system to be active like Noogie.

Another method which would allow us to add Gapps, is if someone completed a version of CWM for Nook Touch.

But, if I burn touchnooter 1.6.24 on my sdcard and replace framework.jar and uRamdisk (as it is said here), it works for me, that's strange.

And +1 CWM would be very interesting

BTW, out of curiosity, I'm wondering, if I burn touchnooter 1.11.11 on my sdcard, I can't see any Nooter directory as in TN 1.6.24. How does it works ?

One of the first things I tried when I got my NST, no luck.
I'm certain it's doable, but some re-engineering of the update process will be needed to figure it out as they're not using the stock Android one.
You mean, if the content of the zip is modified, it is not applied ?

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø

I'm sure there are some basic checks involved yes.

IIRC I tried several different approaches and in every case the zip was read and removed :)
I could not get the update process to trigger at all.

With some reverse engineering it should be fairly easy to figure it out, B&N didn't put much effort into locking down the NST which is why I love it :)
But I have other projects ongoing for the NST right now so I don't have the time to look into this.

Reactions: mdall

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
But, if I burn touchnooter 1.6.24 on my sdcard and replace framework.jar and uRamdisk (as it is said here), it works for me, that's strange.

And +1 CWM would be very interesting

BTW, out of curiosity, I'm wondering, if I burn touchnooter 1.11.11 on my sdcard, I can't see any Nooter directory as in TN 1.6.24. How does it works ?

On 1.11.11 everything was tossed in the uRamdisk, I was having a bad day that day. 1.11.20 has the nooter folder back and I've made some much needed changes.

AbrOXEr

May 9, 2008
Stavropol
Dear GabrialDestruir, download link on the TouchNooter 1.11.20 is down (The requested URL /files/touchnooter-1-1-20.zip was not found on this server.) Help please :)

domi.nos

Jan 5, 2011
Warszawa
Gabriel, what if we replace uRamdisk, framework.jar, add su, busybox and so on in 1.1 firmware update? Would it be working?

ryanpl

Jan 11, 2011
Gabrial, there's no need to apologize for anything bro. You even with all that stuff happening in your life you still put out a great mod app. As someone who is still learning Android THANK YOU!

bretzke

Dec 3, 2010
restore?

I borked my upgrade/root. I didn't follow the steps in order. I know:(

I erase/deregistered and it appears that the system stays 1.1.0. Good. Reapplied TouchNooter 1.11.20 and it craps out on Market. You Tube & Gmail sync fine. I get an error when starting Market after the TOU agreement. Cancel/Retry popup comes up and an infinity of retries does nothing. Tried it again (deregister/wipe, TN) and same result.

Anyone else getting a market error?

I tried to reapply 1.1.0 update but the NST would not take the update again. Can't find a method to downgrade or restore to 1.0.0.

Any thoughts?

Dave

italiano1964

Dec 1, 2010
I borked my upgrade/root. I didn't follow the steps in order. I know:(

I erase/deregistered and it appears that the system stays 1.1.0. Good. Reapplied TouchNooter 1.11.20 and it craps out on Market. You Tube & Gmail sync fine. I get an error when starting Market after the TOU agreement. Cancel/Retry popup comes up and an infinity of retries does nothing. Tried it again (deregister/wipe, TN) and same result.

Anyone else getting a market error?

I tried to reapply 1.1.0 update but the NST would not take the update again. Can't find a method to downgrade or restore to 1.0.0.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Did you try this?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289233
It worked for me (I only used the first file of the two) to go back to 1.0.0.

Reactions: bretzke

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
      • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs Button Savior
      • Installs NookTouch Tools
      • Installs Amazon Marketplace
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
      • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
      • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
      • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
      • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
    • Changes:
      • January 26, 2012 -
        • Tested Fix: ADW not installing - Caused by spaces in ADW's Filename in 2.1.26
        • Added: Amazon Marketplace, Opera Mini
      • January 26, 2012 -
        • Added: adbWireless, SuperManager (Root File Manager, APK Manager, other useful tools), Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
        • Untested Fix: Market 1 Day wait
        • Updated: busybox, ButtonSavior.apk, su & SuperUser.apk
      • November 20, 2011 -
        • Removed: GoLauncher, LiveWallPaper Picker, maybe some other stuff.
        • Added: New Market, ADW with Black Minimalist Theme, NookTouchTools.
        • New: Rooting Image
      • June 24, 2011 -
        • Removed: Multitouch Permission
        • Added: Modified framework.jar
      • June 22, 2011 - Fixed: Script not running at boot.
      • June 20, 2011 - Initial Release
    • Before you begin:
      1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch
      2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
      3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
      4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
      5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
      1. Download TouchNooter from here: touchnooter-2-1-31.zip - Uploaded
      2. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=touchnooter-xx-xx-xx.img of=/dev/sdcard (where xx-xx-xx is the version number)
      3. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
      4. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
        • If you wish to use Underclocking follow these steps
          1. Download Underclock.zip from uploaded attachments
          2. Unzip it and place the data folder in /nooter/
          3. Check that the com.antutu.CpuMasterFree folder is in the /nooter/data/data folder
          4. Check that com.antutu.CpuMasterFree.apk is in /nooter/data/app
      5. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      6. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      7. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
      8. You should see the new TouchNooter boot screen, follow all instructions.
      9. That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.
      10. Upon boot unlock your screen.
      11. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
      12. Enable Location Services when given the option.
      13. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
      14. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
      15. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
      16. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
      17. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
        • At this time Market fails and you must wait up to a day. Just check it every so often. Future updates should fix this.
      18. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
        • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

19. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
      20. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
      21. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
      • XorZone - NookTouchTools - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289894 - Sorry, been busy, credit where credits due.
      • Torimu.Joji - For the configurations for CPU Master Free that allows simple automated underclocking
      • xevious - Kick starting my brain to get this update out
      • mali100 - modified framework.jar for 1.1
      • eded333 - Repackaged Gapps, the idea that may fix 1 Day Market Issue.
      • ros87 - uRamdisk
      • nemith - helping me figure out getting it to run at boot.
      • JesusFreke - For getting root.
      • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
    • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: School
    I just tried to root my daughter's new Nook Simple Touch (1.2 firmware) with the touchnooter-2-1-31 image written to a microSD card but it just hangs at the Touchnooter instruction screen forever. If I remove the SD card and try to reboot it hangs at the "Your Nook is starting up..." screen. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks

It says, this is for 1.1, not for 1.2. So mayby read about what you are doing?

Press power for 2 secs, wait 1 sec, press it for 15 secs, wait 2 secs, and start over, and over, for 8 times. Then, if you want to have root, use any compatible rooter.

It does not matter if you use a Glowlight version, it should work for 99%
    This thread is deprecated, however you should be able to use GlowNooter on the normal TouchNooter (based on how B&N does their updates it should work for both). If anyone can confirm this I'll change the front post to properly link to the current update.

Despite the fact this thread is deprecated, this rom is the best for having a really good screen contrast on our NST.

I leave this instructions for those who need help to downgrade their NST to install TouchNooter.
    Forget about the restart the process three times, do it like this:

1) Use nookRestore to restore /system.

2) Erase and Deregistered to wipe /data
    (If it dosnt let you, force it shutting down your nook, then starting it up, and when the screen flickers press right and left bottom buttons, hold for 5+ seconds).

3) Register, or not, as you preffer.

4) Apply 1.1 firmware update.

5) Open the TouchNooter 1.6.24 image and inside the nooter folder, search and substitude the uRamdisk for this one http://www.multiupload.com/CJ981FWPJG
    and framework.jar for this one http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19201466&postcount=352.

6) Use the new TouchNooter 1.6.24 to root your device. Follow the instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1132693
    If it dosnt work, try again until it works.

7) Continue with registering: Youtube (401 error) --> GMail --> Market.

8) Download adb, and unzip it:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1124160&page=6
    download this vending apk:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1124160&page=6
    and sqlite3:
    http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3070900.zip
    copy the apk and sqlite3 tothefolderyouunzippedadb/platform-tools , open cmd and then:

cd tothefolderyouunzippedadb/platform-tools
    adb connect yournooktouchip

Now we are going to enable non market apps use my method, or what madmachinist said:

adb shell
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
    sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps';"
    adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    adb reboot

now when NST reboots:
    cd tothefolderyouunzippedadb/platform-tools
    adb connect yournooktouchip
    adb install Vending.apk
    adb reboot

You are done, everything should work now.
    No it will not revert to stock. But if you go to my website you can download an mSd card Image that will restore everything back to the original factory firmware image. nook Root (Just click on the "nook Touch" link on the nav bar)

Uhm?

Please stop redistributing an old and obsolete version of my restore image!
    It's also common to give proper credits when redistributing stuff like you do..

The right way to do this would be to link to the actual thread in this forum, so people can get the latest version and updated instructions.

Links you should add instead of redistributing copies that are or will be obsolete:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289233
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1351719
    http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

Thank you