[APP] eInk-friendly Amazon Kindle 3.2.0.35

Search This thread

wskelly

Oct 26, 2010
I've modded the Kindle app to make it more eInk friendly (especially for Nook Simple Touch (NST)). The changes include:

• White mode background is really white, not light gray. White mode text is really black, not something close to black.
  • Black mode background/text same as above.
  • Sepia mode unchanged.
  • Reading progress bar changed from shaded spheres (barely visible on eInk) to empty and filled squares.
  • Library background now white with black text.
  • Other text(s) changed to black.

I've signed this app and the signature is different from the original app, so you will need to uninstall your existing Kindle app and install this one.

Last edited:

sayno2quat

Jun 28, 2011
www.schrauger.com
I've signed this app and the signature is different from the original app, so you will need to uninstall your existing Kindle app and install this one. If someone can tell me how to sign so that the signatures match that would get around this issue.
I'm pretty sure the point of signatures is to prove who made the update. That is, only the developers of the app have the original signing key. So I don't think there's a way of getting your signature to match theirs.

Reactions: wskelly

wskelly

Oct 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure the point of signatures is to prove who made the update. That is, only the developers of the app have the original signing key. So I don't think there's a way of getting your signature to match theirs.

Thanks sayno -- I've been thinking about this for a few days and your explanation makes perfect sense to me. Of course this measure will prevent someone from hijacking an app from a known source with another one. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: slph

myself11

Oct 11, 2009
Library background now white with black text is quite an improvement, thanks.

Regarding whiter background and darker text, I just notice it a bit. I've made the same tweaks on CoolReader and MoonREader and i don't know why but MoonReader displayed the best results.

I use lcd density (crank it up to 260) to make dicitonary window more readable.

malc_b

Jun 28, 2009
Hi, Any chance of this app with a different font? Or a way to change fonts?

I believe kindle uses Droid serif where as I prefer the Nook standard san-serif. I think the fonts are in rom so can't be changed? I couldn't seem to rename Droid font (or another) so I can just replace it with a san-serif renamed to Droid.

PsymonDK

Sep 2, 2009
My antivirus (F-Secure), marked the APK as containing Malware and removed it during download. Anyone else experiencing this? Or can clarify why it is getting marked as Malware?

bluespire

Feb 26, 2009
My antivirus (F-Secure), marked the APK as containing Malware and removed it during download. Anyone else experiencing this? Or can clarify why it is getting marked as Malware?

They are probably compared this app's signature against the play store's master list of signatures, didn't find this one's, and considered malware.

Mnurlan

Feb 1, 2013
Almaty, Kazakhstan
failed to figure out how to use it, meaning, how to open my books on mini SD-card, buying books is not an option for me, sorry. Had to remove it.

Last edited:

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
Hi,
I had installed kindle from the store directly, and when i came across your modified app, i renamed the installed kindle app to .bak and copied your apk to /system/apps ... i rebooted but kindle app not showing in the app drawer.
All this on my Nook Simple Touch (with Glowlight) ...

did i do anything differently ?

Thanks & Cheers.

salinok

Jun 16, 2008
Just found this ... cool stuff!
Works great on my rooted Sony PRS-T1 and my ImcoSys V6L

Thanks for your effort!

wskelly

Oct 26, 2010
You need to uninstall the existing Kindle app and install this one. And it doesn't need to be in the system folder. Just tap on the apk file to install from any file manager.

japinder

Jul 8, 2011
Singapore
I've modded the Kindle app to make it more eInk friendly (especially for Nook Simple Touch (NST)). The changes include:

• White mode background is really white, not light gray. White mode text is really black, not something close to black.
  • Sepia mode unchanged.
  • Reading progress bar changed from shaded spheres (barely visible on eInk) to empty and filled squares.

I've signed this app and the signature is different from the original app, so you will need to uninstall your existing Kindle app and install this one.

Hi wskelly,

I tried it on the Onyx Boox M96, the 9.7" e-ink ereader. Another user on mobileread forums tried it on the Onyx Boox T68. We both find that when we open a book, the first page is displayed fine, although with some artifacts from the previous page (bookshelf). However, the next page & all subsequent pages after loading, turn totally black. If I click on the middle of the page, click on contrast button & click on 'white' (although already seleted), the page displays fine. but on turning the page the same black page is displayed. Can't just keep on doing this manually for all pages. :eek:

There still are a lot of page turn animations. Need a way to disable them, since they just leave artifacts.

There doesn't seem to be a way to open books from local storage.

Is it possible to port the modification to one of the current Kindle for Android builds, for example 4.6.0.114. :angel:

Thanks.

wskelly

Oct 26, 2010
Well, the Nook is like Android Froyo or Gingerbread, at best. I looked for the Boox M96 and it looks like it is running Android 4 which is ICS. There *might* be some sort of incompatibility, kind of doubting it, but maybe. Removing page animations would be a good thing also, I agree with you, I will look into doing that.

And just to note for everyone -- this is just the Android Kindle app but modified so that the background color is white. The eInk display doesn't need to render some sort of gray-ish background when it already is sort of gray, I wanted a true white background. So that essentially is involved finding the suspect color and changing it to 0xFFFFFF. The other change was to make some little ball graphics into squares -- which are higher contrast on eInk.

If you can't open a book from local storage, then this is an issue with the original Amazon app.

For a newer Kindle for Android version, I might be able to make the changes but can't test them, since my Nook is probably not going to support the most recent Kindle app. I will check though...

Does the latest Kindle version work fine on your Boox, without the black screen issue?

japinder

Jul 8, 2011
Singapore
Well, the Nook is like Android Froyo or Gingerbread, at best. I looked for the Boox M96 and it looks like it is running Android 4 which is ICS. There *might* be some sort of incompatibility, kind of doubting it, but maybe. Removing page animations would be a good thing also, I agree with you, I will look into doing that.

And just to note for everyone -- this is just the Android Kindle app but modified so that the background color is white. The eInk display doesn't need to render some sort of gray-ish background when it already is sort of gray, I wanted a true white background. So that essentially is involved finding the suspect color and changing it to 0xFFFFFF. The other change was to make some little ball graphics into squares -- which are higher contrast on eInk.

If you can't open a book from local storage, then this is an issue with the original Amazon app.

For a newer Kindle for Android version, I might be able to make the changes but can't test them, since my Nook is probably not going to support the most recent Kindle app. I will check though...

Does the latest Kindle version work fine on your Boox, without the black screen issue?

Thanks.

I hereby submit my M96 as a guinea pig for your modified app, when you want it. . :good:

The official Kindle app version 4.6.0.114 works fine, & displays the book pages ok, either downloaded from Amazon, or the ones on local storage.
The issue is that Onyx, due to their 'optimization', do not refresh the screen on my M96 all that often, so due to the page turn animations, it leaves behind those horrible artifacts. I would just like it to include your modifications, so that it displays proper black on white text & forgets to do these unwanted animations. :D

The main problem we M96 & T68 users are facing with your modded app is the page turning black (even though it has a workaround - settings -> contrast -> white - but needs to be done for each page). Otherwise its is working. Requesting you to modify a new version of the app is just a bonus. :p

Last edited:

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven

Actually android 2.1 is eclair! :eek:
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

• Sepia mode unchanged.

From what I could see, there is no download link available in the first post, and the other Dropbox link shared above doesn't work either. Is this version of the Kindle app (3.2.0.3.5) no longer supported by Amazon?
    Mmm....I've noticed a distressing number of attachments are MIA after the recent forum upgrade. I have attached a copy below.

Be aware that:

1. you need to update your cacerts.bks file for this app to be able to log in to Amazon. File attached to first post here. Copy to /system/etc/security, overwriting the current file (which you can rename first, if you wish) and setting permissions to rw-r-r. Reboot

2. for this old app Amazon requires a 2-step verification. Your initial log in attempt will "fail" but check your email because Amazon will send you a one-time password to use. After that you should be good to go.
    I've signed this app and the signature is different from the original app, so you will need to uninstall your existing Kindle app and install this one. If someone can tell me how to sign so that the signatures match that would get around this issue.

Thanks sayno -- I've been thinking about this for a few days and your explanation makes perfect sense to me. Of course this measure will prevent someone from hijacking an app from a known source with another one. Thanks for the reply.
    So, even if you have a 2-step verification with OTP, what you need to do if you get an error message is enter the OTP numbers at the end of your password after you get an error message, and then you are all set!
    Thanks @nmyshkin you are awesome for your help, I am deeply thankful!