[4.3][grouper & tilapia] STOCK ROOTED 4.3 (JWR66V) [Flashable Zip]

Search This thread

Androguide.fr

Account currently disabled
Jul 21, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
Hey guys, here is a flashable zip for the new Android 4.3 update.

Features
  • Still odexed to keep performance optimal
  • Rooted (Chainfire's special 4.3 SuperSU)
  • Busybox & Toolbox installed & symlinked
  • Added some useful tools such as vim, nano, openvpn, cpustats and more
  • Changed the boring nexus bootanimation to the Google Play edition devices animation

Downloads

GROUPER

TILAPIA

Instructions
  • Wipe /data, /cache & dalvik-cache (wiping /system is recommended, but not mandatory I guess)
  • Flash the ROM
  • If the recovery says the stock recovery might be flashed over and asks you to disable it, answer NO.
  • Reboot & Enjoy

Updating Bootloader/Radio

This is not mandatory.
If you want to update your bootloader or radio (radio is for tilapia only, obviously), here are the images:

You'll also need fastboot for your platform (just search on google or xda, or install the Android SDK).
I will not provide flashable zips for these as I do not believe it is safe to flash a bootloader via recovery (be it by using dd or by copying the raw image directly).
  • To update bootloader (replace XXX with grouper or tilapia depending on your model):
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-[COLOR="DarkRed"]XXX[/COLOR]-4.23.img
  • To update radio
    Code:
    fastboot flash radio radio-tilapia-1231_0.18.0_0409.img

Tips
  • Titanium Backup users: Point TBU to /storage/emulated/legacy instead of /storage/emulated/0

If enough people request it I'll do the same for the 3G model.
Enjoy ;)

Last edited:

getinnocuous

Apr 23, 2011
Oh wow, not only are you amazing for putting this .zip together for us too lazy to figure out how to install the image itself, but if this keeps root, you are officially the best person in the world today. Many thanks.

Androguide.fr

Jul 21, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
What about new Bootloader version ? will this update the bootloader by itself ?

Nope, if you want to update your bootloader you'll need to fastboot it, I attached the new bootloader to this post if you need it.
The fastboot command is
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img

What were to happen if I flashed this on my 3G version ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
It probably wouldn't boot until you flash a compatible rom
EDIT: actually, the updater-script wouldn't let you install it, it checks in your current build.prop if ro.product.board is set to grouper

Attachments

• bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
    2.1 MB · Views: 586
Last edited:

Androguide.fr

Jul 21, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
How is this for grouper when Google doesn't call it grouper anymore? You sure this is the right ROM then?

Here is an excerpt from the 4.3 build.prop:
Code:
ro.product.name=nakasi
ro.product.device=grouper

The nakasi/grouper thing isn't new, it's always been this way.
And obviously I tested it before uploading --'

However, I made a mistake by using ChainsDD's superuser binary & apk, I just saw that Chainfire created a special version of SuperSU that works on 4.3 as it apparently has some new restrictions to get root access working.
So I am currently re-uploading the rom with working root courtesy of Chainfire. Sorry about that guys.

Last edited:

VoiD_Dweller

Aug 5, 2011
Orlando, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
How is this for grouper when Google doesn't call it grouper anymore? You sure this is the right ROM then?

I seriously doubt he would have posted a 3g (mobile) build for the grouper (wifi) .. I also wouldn't second guess someone nice enough to go out of their way to put this new flashable build out there for us either.. Make a backup, if it doesn't work, restore..

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
I seriously doubt he would have posted a 3g (mobile) build for the grouper (wifi) .. I also wouldn't second guess someone nice enough to go out of their way to put this new flashable build out there for us either.. Make a backup, if it doesn't work, restore..

This. +1 if you have a doubt don't flash it.

And thanks for the fast fix Androguide we appreciate your work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Link still says Uploading? Is it ready now?

Please read. He's reuploading a new build with the superuser built for 4.3

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Holy crap.. All I did was ask a couple of questions and THIS is the response I receive. Thanks for reminding me why I don't ask questions.

Maybe, next time you should read a little more before asking anything..and yes, Grouper is the first Nexus 7 with wifi since the beginning (grouper: hardware /nakasi: software)

I'm eagerly waiting to try 4.3

Top Liked Posts