[TWRP][lux] TWRP for Moto X Play

Search This thread

vache

Recognized Developer
Jun 12, 2009
Paris
This is my version of TWRP built for the 2015 Moto X Play. It should work fine, but using it is a try at your own risk procedure. Your bootloader must be unlocked to use this recovery. Fastboot mode is used to flash or boot this recovery. To enter fastboot mode, turn off your device, hold PWR and VolDn for 3 seconds, then let go.

Differences between upstream TWRP and my fork:
  • My original green theme
  • No SuperSU
  • No TWRP app
  • No HTC Dumlock cruft
  • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption)

To temporarily boot this recovery:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img

To permanently flash it:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

The download is up on the downloads tab.

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP, Tool/Utility for the Moto X Play

Contributors
vache, squid2
Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_lux

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
Stable Release Date: 2018-08-16

Created 2015-09-05
Last Updated 2018-08-16

ephumuris

Dec 7, 2008
Hull
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Ahh that's great. Thanks for this my device should be delivered tomorrow so I'll be definitely using this.

We will still need kernel source for cm12 etc though surely?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

vache

Recognized Developer
Jun 12, 2009
Paris
Ahh that's great. Thanks for this my device should be delivered tomorrow so I'll be definitely using this.

We will still need kernel source for cm12 etc though surely?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Yes i think we'll have to wait for kernel sources to get a working custom.
Already build one (SOKP) but cannot get it to boot (with stock kernel or msm8916 kernel)

skdubg

Feb 9, 2010
TWRP working fine here on XT1562
I'm making a stock TWRP Backup + some partition dump
Next move will be starting playing with CM12.1 :)

can you please upload your dumps and backups if there are ready for it?
i have a broken XT1562 without a nandroid or other backups...

thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: dponscat

jhaedee

Feb 25, 2014
Thanks for this Vache! However, just to let you know this is still showing as Moto G 2015 when plugged into my PC whilst in recovery - not sure if that's normal or not?

Reactions: leonardoroza

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
Last edited:
Reactions: XMoDuLeSx

Nico3d3

Oct 17, 2013
Quebec
Wow thanks for your great work. Soon, we'll be able to get custom kernel to go with the stock firmware. We will probably get better performance with a properly tuned CPU governor. I'd also love to see CM12 being ported but the Moto firmware is already really good. In fact, I'm not sure if I could live without the added feature like Moto Voice and Moto Assist.

Reactions: leonardoroza

vache

Recognized Developer
Jun 12, 2009
Paris

@squid2 Did you used the lux_defconfig in ext_defconfig ?

Already tried with those addition, the phone boot but i have no RIL. (Stock ROM)
Ill post a new reco with this kernel.

EDIT : Published a new version, with the new kernel config, that fix brightness and vibration.

Last edited:

So flashing this restores functionality on a XT1562?
And another thing, if your TWRP version is working when I fastboot boot it, is it guaranteed that it'll work when I fastboot flash it? And another thing: Is there a possibility to backup stock recovery, just in case TWRP doesn't work properly? I tried booting your TWRP version and backing it up but that didn't work (duh.)

Best wishes
derelektrischemoench

Shreps

Recognized Developer
Feb 13, 2012
Paris
moto.shreps.fr
So flashing this restores functionality on a XT1562?
And another thing, if your TWRP version is working when I fastboot boot it, is it guaranteed that it'll work when I fastboot flash it? And another thing: Is there a possibility to backup stock recovery, just in case TWRP doesn't work properly? I tried booting your TWRP version and backing it up but that didn't work (duh.)

Best wishes
derelektrischemoench

Stock Recovery is also available on my backup.
And yes, if TWRP is working while booting it, should work also fine when flashing it.
Be sure to use the latest version by @vache

Ok thx.

And another thing, I made a backup of my recovery partition via ls -al /dev/block/platform/7824900.sdhci/by-name

followed by
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p32 (the partition that had the name "recovery"assigned in the output of the first command)

and got a nice recovery.img written to my sdcard.

Now from my understanding, in case something goes wrong with TWRP i should be able to restore my stock recovery via fastboot flash recovery nameoftheimagethatidumped.img, is that correct?

Greetz DeM

vache

Recognized Developer
Jun 12, 2009
Paris

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my version of TWRP built for the 2015 Moto X Play. It should work fine, but using it is a try at your own risk procedure. Your bootloader must be unlocked to use this recovery. Fastboot mode is used to flash or boot this recovery. To enter fastboot mode, turn off your device, hold PWR and VolDn for 3 seconds, then let go.

Differences between upstream TWRP and my fork:
    • My original green theme
    • No SuperSU
    • No TWRP app
    • No HTC Dumlock cruft
    • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption)

To temporarily boot this recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img

To permanently flash it:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

The download is up on the downloads tab.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP, Tool/Utility for the Moto X Play

Contributors
    vache, squid2
    Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_lux

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
    Stable Release Date: 2018-08-16

Created 2015-09-05
    Last Updated 2018-08-16
    Squid TWRP 3.1.1-r1

I've rebased my TWRP fork on the latest upstream release. It brings miscellaneous bug fixes from upstream. As usual, the download is on the downloads tab.

I've also updated the kernel with recent security and bug fix patches - I'm in the process of bringing my "Squid Kernel" project back up to date. A new Squid Kernel release will probably come some time next week.
    Squid TWRP 3.0.2-r5

I've posted a new TWRP build with improved Nougat compatibility and many small updates from upstream. The download is up on the downloads tab as usual.
    I made a 3.1.0 twrp image, since thats official out now:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862709644
    Squid TWRP 3.0.1-r1

I've posted a new build from my TWRP fork. It's up to date with the upstream 3.0.1-0 release, though as always my fork has a few additional changes and cleanups. For this release, I have created a new dark green theme for my fork. I hope you like it. The download for this build is a bit bigger than earlier versions because of extra assets added for my theme.