[Root] NookManager - graphical rooter for 1.2.x and beyond

Search This thread

Cooky75

May 24, 2011
Hi,

I can install Nook Manager and root my NST no problems, but as others have found the Amazon Store App does not work.

Does anyone know how I can get soemthing like the Kindle, Kobo or similar App on to the NST so i can use the store and purchase books through the NST itself?

I tried using NTGAppAttack, but the Google store it came with doesnt work (at least not on my device).

Im stumped....

Any ideas wouuld be much appreciated.

Thanks
Cooky

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hi,

I can install Nook Manager and root my NST no problems, but as others have found the Amazon Store App does not work.

Does anyone know how I can get soemthing like the Kindle, Kobo or similar App on to the NST so i can use the store and purchase books through the NST itself?

I tried using NTGAppAttack, but the Google store it came with doesnt work (at least not on my device).

Im stumped....

Any ideas wouuld be much appreciated.

Thanks
Cooky

If you have ADB working you can install apps wirelessly from your PC (assuming you have a local copy of the apk file). But it would be better to get the Market up and working. Some people have recently had trouble with the Market sign-in process that was suggested for the GApps installation. There is an older process that apparently still works but relies on the YouTube app being present along with the GApps package. Just remember, both require some wait time before the Market will recognize the device (which it sees as "phone"). And whatever finally works for you, you will always get the "no content" message from the Market app and you will never be able to search directly from it. That's why you need SearchMarket.

If you are only just starting it might be worth it to try the process all over again (i.e., use Nook Manager to restore to factory, then root, then try the GApps install again) but with a small difference. You can add the YouTube app to your Nook Manager SD card before you try a new root, along with a script file to install it as part of the package. That way if the Market sign-in (following the directions for the GApps package) fails again, you will have the YouTube app already installed and can try the sign-in the old way.

So, if you're not having luck getting ADB going (you should already have the ADB Konnect app installed) and therefore can't install the YouTube app that way, you can try altering the Nook Manager card just slightly. Take a look at the card directory on your PC and find the folder files/data/app. You should see some apk files there. Add a copy of the YouTube app (attached below). Then locate the folder scripts and add the install_youtube file (attached below also--REMOVE the ".txt" from the file name before you use it).

That should do it. Run NookManager as normal on your factory-restored NST, rooting and then installing the GApps package. Try the Market sign-in process as instructed (you never said if you got a sign-in error or anything?). Wait as suggested and then see if you can access the Market. If after a day or so you still have no joy, then follow the old method:

1. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
2. Enable Location Services when given the option.
3. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
4. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
5. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
6. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
7. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)

At this time Market fails and you must wait up to a day. Just check it every so often.

Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.

Attachments

• YouTube.apk
    608.7 KB · Views: 71
  • install_youtube.txt
    80 bytes · Views: 110

Cooky75

May 24, 2011
Thanks for the advice @nmyshkin, I went to follow your advice this morning and found that 'Phone' had now appeared in my list of devices when i select to install SearchMarket from the Play store on my PC. So i selected it and it said that SearchMarket will be sent to my device shortly. This was about 8 hours ago but there is no sign of it on the NST yet. I have been checking regularly and making sure the WiFi is on and connected. On the Play store it says SearchMarket is installed on my device, even though its not in the Apps list on the NST yet. Am i looking in the right place (the apps list where Market and Gmail etc are)? Do I just need to wait a bit longer, or has something gone wrong?

PS: I successfully logged in with my Google account after installing NTGAppsAttack

Thanks
Cooky

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the advice @nmyshkin, I went to follow your advice this morning and found that 'Phone' had now appeared in my list of devices when i select to install SearchMarket from the Play store on my PC. So i selected it and it said that SearchMarket will be sent to my device shortly. This was about 8 hours ago but there is no sign of it on the NST yet. I have been checking regularly and making sure the WiFi is on and connected. On the Play store it says SearchMarket is installed on my device, even though its not in the Apps list on the NST yet. Am i looking in the right place (the apps list where Market and Gmail etc are)? Do I just need to wait a bit longer, or has something gone wrong?

PS: I successfully logged in with my Google account after installing NTGAppsAttack

Thanks
Cooky

I have had that kind of thing happen to me before. If you're sure that the "phone" is your NST then I would just do a reinstall, with your NST (Wi-Fi on) sitting right there next to the computer. Even though the PlayStore says the app is installed it should still allow a retry. You could also open the Market app and take a look at "My Apps". It would be interesting to see if SearchMarket shows up there.

If it still doesn't work then you are going to need to get ADB going for your NST so you can install SearchMarket that way. Then you can do installs from the Market directly on the NST. Wireless ADB is not difficult. You already have the app installed. All you need to do is download "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" and install them on your PC.

But first, try the install from the Market via your PC again.

Edit: have you disabled any apps? There are surprising dependencies among the apps, especially system apps, so it's not a good idea to disable or delete anything until you have a working system, and then disable is better than delete in case the app turns out to be important somehow.

Edit, Edit: OK, I just tried this with a simple app I didn't want. My NST does not want to respond today, although it has many times in the past. That behavior could be changing. So I opened the Market app and looked at "My Apps". At the bottom of the list was the app I had "installed" from my PC. It said "Free" but did not say "installed". When I touched that it took me to the Market page for the app where I was given the option to "install". Try it. SearchMarket might just be waiting there for you. That's not the way things are supposed to work, but it may be the future for the NST and the Market.
Any anyway, once you have SearchMarket installed you're good to go.

Last edited:

Cooky75

May 24, 2011
Thanks @nmyshkin. I tried but no joy :(

Must admit I gave in today and bought a Kindle eReader. Many thanks for your help though. Much appreciated.

Cooky

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks @nmyshkin. I tried but no joy :(

Must admit I gave in today and bought a Kindle eReader. Many thanks for your help though. Much appreciated.

Cooky

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I wondered about this for awhile thinking there should be a "just in case" level to NookManager rooting. But it's been a long time since I did it. So I looked up ReLaunch (which is the default launcher that comes with the package). It seems it has a built-in file manager. If that's the case it should be possible to install apps directly through the file manager (assuming the package installer picks up the request). So, for example, you could copy the SearchMarket apk file to a folder on the NST using the USB connection from your PC. Then try to open that apk file using the ReLaunch file manager. Generally with file managers this invokes the package installer and you're off (assuming you have "unknown sources" enabled, which is true after using NookManager).

Anyway, just in case someone else comes along with a similar situation, I've attached a copy of SearchMarket below (seems like it should be part of the original package....). Good luck with the Kindle

Attachments

• youten.redo.searchmarket-86f3bc8064c529180a4648cde41e04c6.apk
    34.8 KB · Views: 86

MadBob

May 28, 2008
Xiaomi Mi Note 10
Xiaomi 12T Pro
I rooted my Nook and tried to install Cool Reader - cr3.1.2-87-zerolab.net_armv7a.apk
but keep getting Not Installed, tried with ADB GUI and get RO filesystem error, also tried simply copying apk to Media folder instead of installing, but not showing as app. [root/media] cannot copy to root/system/media, as it is RO

(Was on 1.2.1 before rooting.)

Never had so much trouble installing apps post root. :)

Can I add apk to NookManager so it installs as part of root?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I rooted my Nook and tried to install Cool Reader - cr3.1.2-87-zerolab.net_armv7a.apk
but keep getting Not Installed, tried with ADB GUI and get RO filesystem error, also tried simply copying apk to Media folder instead of installing, but not showing as app. [root/media] cannot copy to root/system/media, as it is RO

(Was on 1.2.1 before rooting.)

Never had so much trouble installing apps post root. :)

Can I add apk to NookManager so it installs as part of root?

Assuming that the version of Cool Reader you have will run on the NST, you should just be able to copy the apk file to a folder on your SD card and access it with a file manager of some sort. It should install right away. Dropping the apk file into a folder is not going to work unless it's a system app and then it would go into system/app and require a reboot to work. Other apps install into data/app but the apk file has to be manipulated by the PackageInstaller, so you need to make a folder ("Downloads"?) on your SD card and work from there via a file manager.

MadBob

May 28, 2008
Xiaomi Mi Note 10
Xiaomi 12T Pro
Thanks, tried different versions and some don't install, some install and black screen on opening, however this one works.
cr3.0.55-26

Hope that's helpful, might want to add to first post.

Got the store in Media folder details from this thread.

Last edited:

Ronouel46

Aug 6, 2015
Massachusetts
Basic Functionality

I rooted 2 Nook Simple Touches with Nook Manager 0.5.0. Both devices have firmware 1.2.1. Install went fine and It installed Relaunch (ver ?) and TouchMod. TouchMod works fine, allowing me to remap some buttons.

But MANY of the Relaunch Advanced Settings do not do anything at all. Whatever I set them to does not alter the Nook. Just 2 examples of many- Eink Screen Full Update Interval in Appearance. If I set it to 3 and save settings and read a book with the B&N reader, it continues its stock behavior by refreshing every 6 screens. Same with Eink Screen Update Mode (2 speed and 1 quality selection). No changes. I don't get it. I did not know if I should look for help on this forum or find the Relaunch forum. This forum has pages and pages of very specific questions about adding apps etc, but I do not see anything on basic functionality. What is it I am missing or do not know??:crying:

Scarsax2014

Dec 15, 2016
Android touch

Hi,
I have successfully rooted my device and installed appattack but I cannot get past the android screen. I touch the android but nothing happens. Any idea why?:(

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hi,
I have successfully rooted my device and installed appattack but I cannot get past the android screen. I touch the android but nothing happens. Any idea why?:(

When you're on that unresponsive screen, try swiping two fingers across it from right to left. Then try again on the little android.

If that doesn't help I'd do a factory reset and try the whole process again.

ygrigory

Nov 3, 2014
Hi, I have a rooted nst for a long time and sync has always worked well in both readitlater and fbreader, but for a few weeks sync neither. Has it happened to someone else ?

Enviado desde mi YD201 mediante Tapatalk

cdoubleu

Jan 29, 2017
Download link broken?

The link appears to be broken. I get a 'Connection Refused' error when I click on the link.

Anyone else having problems?

sureshot007

Mar 24, 2008
Anyone still around that could help me out?

I got a used NST. I loaded up the SD card, booted to it, ran the root, but it said the first thing was unsuccessful, but everything else was ok (don't remember what the first thing was). I thought, no biggie, I'll just reboot and try again. When I reboot, it get's stuck in the "NookManager Loading..." screen, flashing every 20 seconds or so. I saw here that some people had issues with their SD card, so I thought I'd format the card and try again - same thing. Figure I'd do a factory reset and try again. Able to factory reset, but it will not boot past the "Nook" screen with the progress dots. When trying to boot to NookManger, it is still stuck at the loading screen.

Is this thing shot now? Is there any thing else I can do?

EDIT: Figured it out. I wasn't doing a hard reset, only a soft reset. Works now.

Last edited:
Reactions: velayo

Rizaria

Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
When you're on that unresponsive screen, try swiping two fingers across it from right to left. Then try again on the little android.

If that doesn't help I'd do a factory reset and try the whole process again.

Not that poster, but same issue.

Didn't work, factory reset so I'm back on early firmware. Now I can't update to 1.2.1. I've tried both the US and UK firmware, at no point does the Nook start updating. So I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

If I reset it, the file gets deleted too.

EDIT: Not sure how, but I downloaded the firmware again and it worked this time. Eh.

Last edited:

Rizaria

Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
All works. Very nice!

Just wish there was a working manga website viewer app for nook. They're all long dead or need much newer Android. Kinda why I went through all this, haha.

Ishan_Arya

Nov 23, 2015
Development

Hi! I know this thread has been inactive for a while. I was wondering if you could provide some feedback on how you learned to develop Android, specifically for the NST. I have a project in mind to do with eInk screens, but I don't know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a graphical, interactive rooting system with the ability to create/restore backups and factory settings.

This has been tested on systems 1.1.5, 1.2.0 (US/UK), and 1.2.1. It will probably work on earlier versions and should be safe to use on future versions. For best results, however, you should be on 1.2.1 before using this tool.

If you've tried rooting your nook unsuccessfully with another utility, it's best to do a factory restore (from NookManager, choose the "Rescue" option and then "Restore factory.zip") and, if your nook came with older firmware, upgrade to the latest 1.2.1 firmware.

Features:
    • Root your Nook
    • Backup/Restore
    • Restore to factory settings
    • Disable B&N Apps
    • Custom plugins

How to root:

1. Download NookManager.

2. Unzip the file you downloaded and write the NookManager.img file to an empty SD card. On Windows, you can use disk imager. Linux and mac users can use dd.
    Use a real SD card adapter when writing the image, DO NOT USE YOUR NOOK AS THE SDCARD ADAPTER.

If possible, you should use a dedicated SD card for the NookManager image (so you can easily restore from a backup should you ever screw up your Nook). A 512Mb card is big enough for the NookManager image plus a backup of your Nook.​

3. Power off your Nook, insert the SD card and power on.
    You should see the NookManager boot screen followed within 15 seconds by the welcome screen.​

4. Choose "No, continue without wireless"
    the wireless option is for advanced users looking to connect directly to their device​

5. Make a backup using NookManager! Choose "Rescue" then "Backup" then "Format remaining space on SD card" and finally "Create backup"
    Because NookManager cleans the empty space on the Nooks' internal partitions and compresses the backup, it will take at least 15 minutes (and up to 45 minutes) for the backup to complete. Be patient. The final backup file can be as small as only be a few hundred megabytes, depending on the number of downloaded or sideloaded books you have.​

6. Copy the backup image to your computer. Connect your Nook to your computer using the USB cable. Copy the 'backup.full.tgz' and 'backup.full.md5' files from the NookBackup drive to your computer.
    This is your backup in case anything happens to your SD card. This backup is tied to your individual Nook so keep it safe. It's important to copy this file while your Nook is still booted from the SD card because Windows will normally hide the NookBackup partition on the SD card. If you ever need access to the NookBackup partition again, just boot your Nook using the NookManager SD card and connect the Nook to your computer with the USB cable.​

7. Root! After your backup, press "Back" and "Back" to return to the Main Menu. Press "Root" and then "Root my device"

8. That's it! After rooting, pres "Back" and then "Exit". Remove the SD card and put it someplace safe, in case you need to restore to your backup later.

After rooting, you can install Google Apps using straygecko's excellent NTGAppsAttack package if you want to use Google Market/Gmail/Calendar/etc.
    [/LIST]

Technical stuff:

The actual rooting function is minimal and as non-invasive as possible:
    • uRamdisk is patched to enable ADB
    • the internal database setting is changed to allow installation of non-market apps
    • the DroidSansFallback font is replaced with the updated font from jellybean to add support for extended characters
    • the su/Superuser binary/package is installed
    • Relaunch is installed
    • ADB Konnect is installed for enabling/disabling ADB over wireless
    • on systems running firmware 1.2+, the ModManager jars and package are installed
    • on 1.2+ systems, the PackageInstaller.apk from the 1.1.2 firmware is installed to resolve issues with package installers
    • and, finally, the Amazon appstore is installed just to have some easy way of downloading new apps. You can uninstall it using ReLaunch if you don't use it.

The uRamdisk patching is done with scripts rather than copying pre-compiled binaries, so this should be safe for all existing versions of the Nook firmware and (hopefully) will be forward compatible with any new releases.

The rooting procedure is non-destructive and can be run multiple times without causing problems.

Under the hood, this is a minimal linux environment with the nook drivers/binaries and a few core android binaries. The display is generated with imagemagick and written directly to the framebuffer.

If you're connecting to NookManager wirelessly over SSH, the username/password is root/root

Wherever possible, the parts of this system are compiled from source including the Linux kernel, uBoot, and all of the buildroot utilities. The hardware drivers and associated binaries are extracted from the 1.2.0 upgrade package.

The source for the project, including an automated buildscript is available at GitHub.

Support for custom menu items and scripts is documented here.
    NTGAppsAttack - Google Apps Installer for NookManager

I just posted an addon for NookManager to install Google Apps. The thread is http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086582 Hope you find it helpful.
    How long does it take to backup using NookManager?

I've selected it to backup (after rooting & restarting), but it's still on the "creating backup image" screen after 15 minutes.

Edit: Guess it's 18 minutes as it just finished.
    The only thing I miss besides gapps (it looks like we have a solution now) are the norefresh and multitouch from the older rooters. These are nice for pdf reading. Is there any alternative for smooth pdf reading or might these mods be upgraded?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Norefresh, FastMode and Multitouch works fine after you upload 'v166' kernel via CWR.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1906507
    straygecko, would it be possible for you to post a fix we could install over ADB? I apologize if you already have, I looked through the posts and I've not seen it.
    Sorry, I got busy with other things and forgot. Attached is the services.jar file with the fix for connecting to the wifi in a Barnes and Noble store. Use ADB or a root explorer like ES File Explorer to put this file in /system/framework. As always, its best to make a backup of your NST first or at least rename the current services.jar on your NST before installing so you can put it back with ADB if you have any problems.