Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Yeah, im still having problems with power collapse (getting the red led). Do i need to update the default.txt at all with the latest release from your site?

Thanks,
Jon
Power collapse should work fine now, having the red led is good, it means the phone is using minimal power. If you can't wake it from this state then that is bad. A possible problem is that I don't think power collapse will work with the old radio.

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
Power collapse should work fine now, having the red led is good, it means the phone is using minimal power. If you can't wake it from this state then that is bad. A possible problem is that I don't think power collapse will work with the old radio.

Speaking of power collapse... there seems to still be an issue with apps waking the phone up... or at least the Alarm Clock waking it up.

I set my alarm for 7:00am in the morning, and left the phone charging via usb overnight... so somewhere in that 7 hours, the phone entered a state where the alarm clock wouldn't wake it up, and once i pressed the power (home) button to actually wake the phone up, the alarm sounded.

I know the alarm does work while the phone's in sleep mode. I tried setting the alarm 11 minutes in the future and putting the screen to sleep, and the alarm went off just fine.

Maybe this new kernel will fix it, i'll let you know if the phone goes off tomorrow morning.

Also, Martin... would it help to look at battery meters on other phones that officially run linux, to figure out how to calculate the remaining charge?

Last edited:

Ideal2545

Jun 18, 2008

My Apologies, I ment I keep on getting the green l.e.d. Im also fully upgraded on the radio. Am I perhaps missing something in default.txt? I dont have it modified whatsoever.

Thanks,
Jon

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
I've updated the kernel with a somewhat working battery meter. I can get all the information from the hardware but the actual value of the charge left in the battery is some complex function of voltage, temperature and current in and out. Until I can work out this function, I have made it depend only on the voltage, this means it's not reliable but should give you some idea of if the battery needs charging.

I messed with the pm driver too, it should wake up better now.

I tried adding bugmen0t's new dialer but it looks like it needs the open source framework, I'll try making a fully open source system image another time.

Only zImage has changed from yesterday's build. Available here:
http://cs-alb-pc3.massey.ac.nz/vogue/zImage

awesome news. I'll be sure to give this a shot real soon. Thanks again.

Speaking of power collapse... there seems to still be an issue with apps waking the phone up... or at least the Alarm Clock waking it up.

I set my alarm for 7:00am in the morning, and left the phone charging via usb overnight... so somewhere in that 7 hours, the phone entered a state where the alarm clock wouldn't wake it up, and once i pressed the power (home) button to actually wake the phone up, the alarm sounded.

I know the alarm does work while the phone's in sleep mode. I tried setting the alarm 11 minutes in the future and putting the screen to sleep, and the alarm went off just fine.

Maybe this new kernel will fix it, i'll let you know if the phone goes off tomorrow morning.

Also, Martin... would it help to look at battery meters on other phones that officially run linux, to figure out how to calculate the remaining charge?

I just wanted to mention an issue similar to this:

The phone was asleep (I think it had been for quite a while, but don't really know).
I got a call, the ringer went off, but the screen did not turn on.
I pressed the green button, and was still able to answer.

Just thought I would throw that out there. There was obviously no way to turn on the screen, because I would have thereby hung up so..ya :S

Thanks again.

Zenn_Darkfire

Oct 30, 2008
Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)

Reactions: NeostarNeko

unsungboxer

May 28, 2008

I noticed when grabbing widgets (like the clock), it has a small pulse vibe feedback. I think this is a nice really touch! This would be cool to keep in mind for the next version of the keyboard.

derekwilkinson

Dec 14, 2007
Is there a bug-list anywhere?

When the keyboard is enabled, the screen goes up and down, so that I cannot see what I am typing. Is this normal?

natelust

Jul 16, 2008
power led

on the latest version the led dosnt turn red, im not sure if that means you changed it or in the latest release my phone is not going into power collapse.

pchasco

Mar 15, 2008

When the keyboard is enabled, the screen goes up and down, so that I cannot see what I am typing. Is this normal?

Yes. dzo explained it somewhere, probably about 30 pages back :D. It has something to do with using the last position the screen was drawn as the area that will be shown in the available screen area. It bounces around because different areas of the screen are being drawn to, and because there isn't a proper software input framework in Android yet, no real Android-y on-screen keyboard can exist. This one we're using is implemented as a kernel-mode driver, I think.

njakobs

Nov 17, 2007
Wellington

Yes this is normal. Hopefully a better keyboard will fix this in the future.

on the latest version the led dosnt turn red, im not sure if that means you changed it or in the latest release my phone is not going into power collapse.

The latest release works for me the red led comes on. So it sounds like your phone is not going into power collapse

zaq1234

May 25, 2008
Just hoping it won't damage the led or it's circuitry. Although led's can run for thousands of hours its circuit if it is not made to be always on can burn out.

d3mon187

Jul 13, 2008
Just hoping it won't damage the led or it's circuitry. Although led's can run for thousands of hours its circuit if it is not made to be always on can burn out.

Well seeing as the green led is always blinking when the phone is on AND the led is on constantly when the phone is charging, I would assume always having it on is no big deal. It should be fine :D

sadoway

May 28, 2008
Edmonton
soo.. my problem i have..
with the oct 30th updated version

(had this with the last few)
i dont hear any sound when i use the dialer.
also when i dial a number its slow to show the number i press.
ill press a few.. then delete them.. and android will crash.
whenever i play with the dialer it crashes.. its been the last few updates. before the constant updates.. i had sounds.. but thats gone...

but android never stays on long enough for me to test anything. i dont feel its stable enought to use throughtout the day. i need to know if someones calling and this is my only phone.

i have an updated radio.. so i dunno

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
soo.. my problem i have..
with the oct 30th updated version

(had this with the last few)
i dont hear any sound when i use the dialer.
also when i dial a number its slow to show the number i press.
ill press a few.. then delete them.. and android will crash.
whenever i play with the dialer it crashes.. its been the last few updates. before the constant updates.. i had sounds.. but thats gone...

but android never stays on long enough for me to test anything. i dont feel its stable enought to use throughtout the day. i need to know if someones calling and this is my only phone.

i have an updated radio.. so i dunno

What version radio do you have, I use 3.42.50 and it's quite possible other versions don't work. Also make sure the gps is off when booting android.

pchasco

Mar 15, 2008
How do I upgrade to 3.40.5? I've downloaded a radio upgrade utility and a NHB rom image, but at about 8% or so the RUU tells me that I can't update because the phone is incompatible.

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
latest power collapse

Here are my findings over the last 13 hours or so.

When the device is charging, the screen now stays on like it should (mine would shut off before, even when plugged in... dunno if anyone else had that.) This did allow for the alarm to go off this morning, but I don't know if it would've worked if I had manually turned the screen off, or if the device weren't plugged in.

With this comes a bit of an issue. When you boot up Android and the phone is not plugged in, Android still reports as "charging" which causes the screen to stay on. So far, the only way I've noticed to get Android to realize the phone is *not* charging, is to plug it in then unplug it. I suppose Linux recognizes the "unplug" action and therefore realizes it is not plugged in, but when the phone boots, it can't detect whether a cable is plugged in or not.

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
How do I upgrade to 3.40.5? I've downloaded a radio upgrade utility and a NHB rom image, but at about 8% or so the RUU tells me that I can't update because the phone is incompatible.

Running the WM6.1 upgrade did it for me. Actually, it brought mine to 3.41.00.

Maybe someone has a different way of doing it. I wouldn't mind getting 3.42.50 so I'm on the same version as Martin.

kevkranker

Apr 11, 2007
Running the WM6.1 upgrade did it for me. Actually, it brought mine to 3.41.00.

Maybe someone has a different way of doing it. I wouldn't mind getting 3.42.50 so I'm on the same version as Martin.

Here are some instructions on the 3.42.50 radio it's part of Bell rom update. Flash at you own risk. If you haven't flashed your phone before please read up on it before trying.

http://arianhojat.com/files/phone/vx6900_GPS_custom_rom.html
Flash new carrier rom:
Flash a new carrier rom which upgrades radio/windows 6.1/Enables Rev. A speeds for some carriers but not sure about verizon, preferably Bell rom with radio 3.42.50 radio.
Download http://rapidshare.com/files/139294670/RUU_Vogue_4350_BM_WWE_3.08.666.1_Radio3.42.50_Ship.exe.html
Run the rom file you downloaded... It will auto-run and create a directory with the ROMUpdateUtility.exe utility (and some other tools it may need) and the large .nbh file which is the actual ROM itself, and then auto-run that rom RUU utility (which will ask you to have your phone connected via Activesync, and will upgrade your phone). Some rom authors might just give a .nbh file, so download RUU if you dont have it from previous install, and place the .nbh in that directory to manually run it. (Note: you can always install a rom also by putting the .nhb file on a memory card of your phone and in bootloader mode, it allows you to install it. but i dont prefer this method.)
Dont worry if phone gets stuck for a lil at 11% or something like that, it will finish. When flashing is done, phone restarts automatically.
Right after phone boots up, at the Windows Mobile default 'green welcom screen', dont do anything yet. Alot of people always hard reset after flashing a new rom. You can hard reset by pressing the red/green buttons on phone and the soft reset button. A grey screen comes up to press green button to hard reset. phone will go back to default settings, and boot up back up to the green screen.
READ THIS WHOLE STEP BEFORE DOING:
At this point the phone is at the 'green screen' and it will ask you to do enter some info (Aligning Screen, showing you how to Copy/Paste, setting the Date, and setting a password). You can do this and then when it comes to step of putting in a password for the phone, once you Skip that, The next screen will say something like 'Customizations will run in 3 seconds'. There is no 321 countdown, dont wait for it....You should be ready to soft reset (small pinhole on right side of phone) at this point or you are screwed! Well maybe not.... goto ppcgeeks and ask about unbricking your phone.
ALTERNATIVELY (i like this better), At this point the phone is at the 'green screen' and it will ask you to do enter some info and your phone is probably still connected to computer in Activesync(or reconnect it if not). Dont enter any info at this step. Just get ready to step 3 of flashing custom user rom. AND SKIP REST OF THE STEPS IN THIS SECTION

IF YOU ARENT GOING ONTO A CUSTOM ROM (aka you just did step 5.1, and dont want to follow up with flashing a custom rom. basically you want to keep carrier rom), then after phone restarts from the last step, check the Settings->System->DeviceInfo to make sure the radio is now 3.42.50
ALSO IF YOU ARENT GOING ONTO A CUSTOM ROM (which again would be weird since user roms have cool stuff!), you will need to dial *228 on your phone (or *22800/22801 depending if on east coast/west coast i heard but *228 works for me) OR call verizon, call #8899, to re-authenticate your phone with verizon tech support. i always called *228 to get data working if it isnt already, but always needed to call #8899 anyway after flashing a new radio to get phone calls working....
(P.S. IF YOU ARE INSTALLING CUSTOM ROM right after carrier rom, you will need to authenticate phone with verizon after installing it, so we'll do the above step after flashing a custom rom.)
Flash user custom rom:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..