Brand New Warranty replacement S3 4.3 - Am I screwed?

Search This thread

jl2222

So my last s3 stopped working and I got a new one sent via my extended warranty. Previously I had an unlocked bootloader and root running gummy 4.4 which was awesome!:D My new phone came stock with 4.3 touchwiz which I am reading might be bad news. So here are my questions:

1) Is there really no way to unlock the bootloader on 4.3?

2) What are my alternatives to installing custom roms?

3) Is safestrap a stable/safe option even though its in beta?

4) Can safestrap be reversed if a method for unlocking the bootloader is revealed?

5) Where can I find a rooting tutorial for 4.3? Can I lose root easily/ corrupt my phone if a Samsung update is applied?

6) Should I wait for a downgrade option? Slash is it supposedly possible (twitter update)?

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
So my last s3 stopped working and I got a new one sent via my extended warranty. Previously I had an unlocked bootloader and root running gummy 4.4 which was awesome!:D My new phone came stock with 4.3 touchwiz which I am reading might be bad news. So here are my questions:

Nope.

As of this minute, one option: Saferoot then Safestrap.

Yup. Read the replies in Safestrap if you need reassurance.

4) Can safestrap be reversed if a method for unlocking the bootloader is revealed?

Yup, you could even Odin flash VRUCML1 4.3 tar and be back to "normal" again. However, don't count on the 4.3 bootloader being unlocked. There's no guarantee anyone is even utilizing their time to find an exploit and its entirely possible no one is.

5) Where can I find a rooting tutorial for 4.3? Can I lose root easily/ corrupt my phone if a Samsung update is applied?

Read me. Use Saferoot, then SafeStrap. Yes, much worse could happen in a future update as well.

6) Should I wait for a downgrade option? Slash is it supposedly possible (twitter update)?

That's your call. It's possible, but whether it comes to fruition is entirely different.

Reactions: jl2222

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Im in the same situation as OP.. Xposed works. I'm on alliance 23.

I was wondering can we flash custom kernels then flash the dependencies or are we stuck with the safestrap kernel?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I think flashing a custom kernel isn't suggested with SafeStrap. I don't know the specifics, maybe @BadUsername or someone else can expand on that? I thought I read that you are still running the stock kernel even if you flash a custom kernel when using SafeStrap. Someone was discussing this before but it was not explicitly proven they were in fact running the custom kernel.

Reactions: omair2005

jl2222

I was wondering can we flash custom kernels then flash the dependencies or are we stuck with the safestrap kernel?

Good deal! Glad xposed works. How you liking alliance by the way? I'm torn between that and clean rom. I'm actually not the most familiar with TW roms currently. Before this replacement phone I was all ASOP.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

omair2005

Jul 26, 2007
Good deal! Glad xposed works. How you liking alliance by the way? I'm torn between that and clean rom. I'm actually not the most familiar with TW roms currently. Before this replacement phone I was all ASOP.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

I've come to the conclusion I want to use my partitions to the full capacity so I'm sticking with stock rom + xposed for any modifications I need..
Yeah same here, I was AOSP for awhile soon as I discovered Quantum Kernels..

jl2222

I've come to the conclusion I want to use my partitions to the full capacity so I'm sticking with stock rom + xposed for any modifications I need..

Quantum Kernels huh. Not familiar with those kernels. Ill have to check them out. I would use the stock rom as well Im just worried about a random automatic update that would kill root and make my replacement phone even more useless than it already is without an unlocked bootloader. Do you know if there a way to disable the Samsung update center on the stock rom using root?

Reactions: philipcabornay24

omair2005

Jul 26, 2007
Quantum Kernels huh. Not familiar with those kernels. Ill have to check them out. I would use the stock rom as well Im just worried about a random automatic update that would kill root and make my replacement phone even more useless than it already is without an unlocked bootloader. Do you know if there a way to disable the Samsung update center on the stock rom using root?

Use TiBu and freeze SDM, FWupgrade

Reactions: jl2222

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Nope.

As of this minute, one option: Saferoot then Safestrap.

Yup. Read the replies in Safestrap if you need reassurance.

Yup, you could even Odin flash VRUCML1 4.3 tar and be back to "normal" again. However, don't count on the 4.3 bootloader being unlocked. There's no guarantee anyone is even utilizing their time to find an exploit and its entirely possible no one is.

Read me. Use Saferoot, then SafeStrap. Yes, much worse could happen in a future update as well.

That's your call. It's possible, but whether it comes to fruition is entirely different.
    They should

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I think flashing a custom kernel isn't suggested with SafeStrap. I don't know the specifics, maybe @BadUsername or someone else can expand on that? I thought I read that you are still running the stock kernel even if you flash a custom kernel when using SafeStrap. Someone was discussing this before but it was not explicitly proven they were in fact running the custom kernel.

Use TiBu and freeze SDM, FWupgrade