FireTV 1 (bueller) Prerooted Stock Images [5.2.7.3_r1]

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Here are prerooted stock images for use with my recovery. Note that these contain addon.d support, so any 3rd party things you install to /system need an addon.d script to be retained between flashes.

If you are currently on FireOS3 and CWM you MUST install TWRP recovery from the link above before using these.

Can't cd to /sdcard after using su? Install this TWRP flashable zip to fix it.

Changelog and Downloads:

Last edited by a moderator:

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
Here are some guides with step by step instructions:

How to install ClockworkMod Custom Recovery on the Amazon Fire TV
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-clockworkmod-custom-recovery-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

How to update ClockworkMod Custom Recovery on the Amazon Fire TV
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-update-clockworkmod-custom-recovery-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

How to remotely control ClockworkMod on the Amazon Fire TV using ADB
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-remotely-control-clockworkmod-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-using-adb/

How to install a Custom ROM Image on the Amazon Fire TV
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-a-custom-rom-image-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

How to update a Rooted Amazon Fire TV to the Latest Version Without Losing Root
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-upda...tv-to-the-latest-version-without-losing-root/

How to Revert back to Stock Recovery and Stock Software
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-revert-an-amazon-fire-tv-back-to-stock-recovery-and-stock-software/

Last edited:

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
@rbox when flashing the pre-rooted image, does it also rebuild/replace the recovery?

I'm just curious how these work, and if CWR would then need to be 'dd' again. I did a quick compare between the pre-rooted image and the stock, and the only differences I see are su binary, superuser.apk, and the removal of every file from the root of the zip but:

boot.img
NON-HLOS.bin
prod_cert_swap.sed
sed

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
@rbox when flashing the pre-rooted image, does it also rebuild/replace the recovery?

I'm just curious how these work, and if CWR would then need to be 'dd' again. I did a quick compare between the pre-rooted image and the stock, and the only differences I see are su binary, superuser.apk, and the removal of every file from the root of the zip but:

boot.img
NON-HLOS.bin
prod_cert_swap.sed
sed

No. It doesn't touch the recovery. These images are basically just the regular image with the bootloader and nonessential images pulled out. And as you can see, it comes with su.

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
No. It doesn't touch the recovery. These images are basically just the regular image with the bootloader and nonessential images pulled out. And as you can see, it comes with su.

Doesn't android typically rebuild & flash the recovery partition from boot.img and /system/etc/recovery-resource.dat when it detects it's been changed? I was just curious when that normally would occur on a stock FireTV, and what prevents this from happening on your pre-rooted images. I haven't used any prerooted images. Already had root and just dd'd your cwr_recovery.img. CWR asks you if you want to disable the stock recovery process. As a test I picked no, and CWR didn't get replaced. So should I assume that Amazon doesn't run any scripts at boot that check the recovery and rebuild/flash it?

To make a long story short. I was just curious if your pre-rooted images disabled the recovery replacement, since I still saw the recovery-resource.dat used to build them in the zip. But I guess FireOS doesn't do that at boot :confused:

edit: I guess that may have been disabled by towelroot, since the install-recovery.sh is being used to start the /system/xbin/daemonsu --auto-daemon &

Last edited:

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Doesn't android typically rebuild & flash the recovery partition from boot.img and /system/etc/recovery-resource.dat when it detects it's been changed? I was just curious when that normally would occur on a stock FireTV, and what prevents this from happening on your pre-rooted images. I haven't used any prerooted images. Already had root and just dd'd your cwr_recovery.img. CWR asks you if you want to disable the stock recovery process. As a test I picked no, and CWR didn't get replaced. So should I assume that Amazon doesn't run any scripts at boot that check the recovery and rebuild/flash it?

To make a long story short. I was just curious if your pre-rooted images disabled the recovery replacement, since I still saw the recovery-resource.dat used to build them in the zip. But I guess FireOS doesn't do that at boot :confused:

51.1.3.0 was actually the first version to include an updated recovery. If you look in the stock 51.1.3.0 image, you'll see a recovery directory with recovery-from-boot.p and install-recovery.sh. I removed that from my image. The install-recovery.sh is the one that updates the recovery.

I'm not quire sure why it asked you about disabling stock. I'm guessing you booted into it, did nothing, and then rebooted. The only thing I can guess is whatever you had installed already had a /system/etc/install-recovery.sh script there. That doesn't seem to be included in the stock update images. Maybe the stock recovery writes it if it doesn't exist... Either way, I think people have said the install-recovery.sh script that came with stock didn't do anything. And then when you install one of my updates, it definitely doesn't come with it.

Reactions: Luxferro

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
51.1.3.0 was actually the first version to include an updated recovery. If you look in the stock 51.1.3.0 image, you'll see a recovery directory with recovery-from-boot.p and install-recovery.sh. I removed that from my image. The install-recovery.sh is the one that updates the recovery.

I'm not quire sure why it asked you about disabling stock. I'm guessing you booted into it, did nothing, and then rebooted. The only thing I can guess is whatever you had installed already had a /system/etc/install-recovery.sh script there. That doesn't seem to be included in the stock update images. Maybe the stock recovery writes it if it doesn't exist... Either way, I think people have said the install-recovery.sh script that came with stock didn't do anything. And then when you install one of my updates, it definitely doesn't come with it.

The contents of my install-recovery.sh had to do with the su daemon. So i assume it was from towelroot. edit: actually probably one of the variations of superuser?

Basically I was curious what changes you were making so the stock recovery wasn't being flashed back, just in case I wanted to mess around with later revisions that aren't rootable and might flash the stock recovery back and leave me w/ an unrootable system. Like 51.1.3.0. But I see that you just created a pre-rooted 51.1.3.0 :) Anyway, it was more of a curiosity than me wanting to have the latest version.

Last edited:

imtiajmeah

Dec 7, 2004
London
Upgrading to Pre-Rooted 51.1.3.0_513011520

Hi rbox,

Great work... Just a quick question to clear up any confusion.

I currently have 51.1.1.0_user_511070220 install and rooted with towelroot.

If I want to update to Pre-Rooted 51.1.3.0_513011520 do I still need to downgrade to the Official Stock Software Package version 51.1.0.2_user_510058520.
Install ClockworkMod Custom Recovery .
Then upgrade via Custom Recovery to Pre-Rooted 51.1.3.0_513011520?

Or

Can I just upgrade to Pre-Rooted 51.1.3.0_513011520 via the firmware upgrade script http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2796067?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Hi rbox,

If I want to update to Pre-Rooted 51.1.3.0_513011520 do I still need to downgrade to the Official Stock Software Package version 51.1.0.2_user_510058520.

Or

Can I just upgrade to Pre-Rooted 51.1.3.0_513011520 via the firmware upgrade script http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2796067?

As the post says... the prerooted images are only for use with my recovery. So yes, you have to downgrade and install it.

zahir32

Jan 17, 2011
Read Again

Hi rbox,

Or

Regarding these images, the OP states clearly: "These will not work with the stock recovery". You will not be able to update to them without first installing CWM.

mjbxx

Jun 18, 2014
NC
As the post says... the prerooted images are only for use with my recovery. So yes, you have to downgrade and install it.

For the sake of clarity and semantics, is the "Pre-Rooted Stock Software" the same as "Pre-Rooted Stock Images"? The word Images is throwing off my understanding.

Zetup-EXE

Oct 20, 2011
Hi there,

Just one question i didn't find an answere.

Can i use this stock images on German fire TV?

Thx. For a quick reply :)

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Hi there,

Just one question i didn't find an answere.

Can i use this stock images on German fire TV?

Thx. For a quick reply :)

I wasn't aware that anyone had gotten the German Fire TV, so... I'll just whip out my crystal ball...

All signs point to it coming with 51.1.3.0, which is unrootable. So... no.

krasny2k5

Feb 24, 2011
Awesome work rbox!

I´m on pre-rooted 51.1.3.0 by now. As soon as i can i´ll keep donating to you! This is exactly why i bought my FTV!

Thanks!

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
For the sake of clarity and semantics, is the "Pre-Rooted Stock Software" the same as "Pre-Rooted Stock Images"? The word Images is throwing off my understanding.

Yes, they are the same.
Stock Image, Stock Software, Stock ROM, Stock OS, and Stock Package all mean the same thing. The only important distinction to remember is that there is a difference between a Recovery image and the rest of the software that runs on the Fire TV.

"Pre-Rooted Stock Images" do not include the recovery image within them, whereas the official 51.1.3.0_user_513011520 update from Amazon does include a recovery image. rbox has stripped out the recovery image from the official update because if he didn't, installing his pre-rooted version would overwrite ClockworkMod recovery.

Reactions: mjbxx

mastermind278

Nov 29, 2006
NJ
I assumed this was done, but I wasn't 100% sure so I verified that the updating mechanism has been blocked on these prerooted images.

Code:
root@android:/ # pm list packages -d
pm list packages -d
package:com.amazon.dcp
root@android:/ #

nhumber

Apr 26, 2014
Sarnia
I assumed this was done, but I wasn't 100% sure so I verified that the updating mechanism has been blocked on these prerooted images.

Code:
root@android:/ # pm list packages -d
pm list packages -d
package:com.amazon.dcp
root@android:/ #

i was just about to ask the same thing, thanks. now im just wondering if i can install cwm from 51.1.0.1 as i've been blocking updates since day one or if i should just update to 51.1.0.2 and then install cwm.

collindv

Jun 28, 2007
i was just about to ask the same thing, thanks. now im just wondering if i can install cwm from 51.1.0.1 as i've been blocking updates since day one or if i should just update to 51.1.0.2 and then install cwm.

I am wondering the same thing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts