[Q] Purchasing Samsung Note 8.0 LTE for phone

Search This thread

magicman70

Feb 4, 2013
Hi I want to buy a Samsung Note 8.0 for which model should I buy. I live in U.S. I know the LTE version here in US don't have phone capabilities. Can I install a custom rom for the one in US, if there is one, can someone point me to a thread. Please help, Thank you

coolseallord

Dec 18, 2013
Hi I want to buy a Samsung Note 8.0 for which model should I buy. I live in U.S. I know the LTE version here in US don't have phone capabilities. Can I install a custom rom for the one in US, if there is one, can someone point me to a thread. Please help, Thank you

Though I don't live in US, I don't think you could add phone feature by changing the rom.

cheryanne

I think you would have to have the international version that permits calls. I'm not sure if that will work in the states though because of frequencies etc.

Galaxy Note 8.0 Xposed Build N5120XXCMH2 / Baseband N5120XXBMD9 / Kernel CivZ-SphereXtreme-REV on Telstra LTE

afblangley

Jan 11, 2013
If you're looking at the AT&T branded Note 8, SGH-i467, there's a thread in this forum on getting the phone capability enabled. I don't think anyone has been totally successful doing that:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2430527

If VoIP will sufficiently meet your calling needs, you'll be fine with that model. If you don't want to deal with the idiosyncrasies associated with VoIP, get the international version, GT-N5100. The LTE frequencies won't work on AT&T's or T-Mobile's networks so you'll be at HSPA+ speeds, but it is a true 8" smartphone.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using xda app-developers app

ghostswagking

Mar 10, 2014
If you're looking at the AT&T branded Note 8, SGH-i467, there's a thread in this forum on getting the phone capability enabled. I don't think anyone has been totally successful doing that:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2430527

If VoIP will sufficiently meet your calling needs, you'll be fine with that model. If you don't want to deal with the idiosyncrasies associated with VoIP, get the international version, GT-N5100. The LTE frequencies won't work on AT&T's or T-Mobile's networks so you'll be at HSPA+ speeds, but it is a true 8" smartphone.

I bought one from amazon and it had calling capability. Should be the same for all of them.

afblangley

Jan 11, 2013
The are different variants of the Note 8. Some have phone capability and some do not. The most common variant sold in the US (in Best Buy and big box stores) is WiFi only. The model sold in AT&T stores has LTE, but the phone functionality has been removed. The N5100, available thro some Amazon vendors, its a true smartphone, but only works on AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA+ network.

EFCLEE

Sep 15, 2012
The are different variants of the Note 8. Some have phone capability and some do not. The most common variant sold in the US (in Best Buy and big box stores) is WiFi only. The model sold in AT&T stores has LTE, but the phone functionality has been removed. The N5100, available thro some Amazon vendors, its a true smartphone, but only works on AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA+ network.

I use a note 8 LTE as my phone here in UK and am absolutly loving it....had to change from 3 mobile to O2 as 3 dont allow phone sims in tablets, seems O2 do cos its been working fine for about 3-4 weeks.

Rather than look foolish with a tablet next to my ear I purchased a galaxy gear which is not fully working as I am on stock 4.2.

Got rid of my note 2 and note 10.1 and have just a note 8, best thing I ever did!!!